ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #121
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
I like my Nuvi 200. It's cheap (under $150) and works well. No route logging though.

Big deal that it is not waterproof. Mine sits inside the clear map area of my WATERPROOF tank bag. The touch-screen controls work just fine through the waterproof clear plastic map window, even with gloves on.

If you don't trust the waterproofness of your tank bag you can always just splurge and spend $40 on an aqua-box for it and be done worrying about waterproofness.

Ram Aqua Box 6 medium-wide

As for "vibration-resistance" -my VFR is smoother than a lot of cars. I call bullshit on that. So far I've had zero issues. I'm not going to spend $400 on a waterproof cased, "vibration-resistant" GPS when I can buy a $120 nuvi and slip on a waterproof case for just $40 more.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #122
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook5003
That did help a lot, I think my intersection to intersection mapping may be the best.....

Yeah I am going to start researching inexpesive GPS units that allow to upload custom routes.......any suggestions?
The Nuvi is <$150 and you can download custom routes directly to it from Google maps.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #123
tstick14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Nuvi 500

Has anyone had experience with the NUVI 500? Waterproof comes with lower 48 and topo and takes microSD. Garmin site says motorcycle friendly and can take gpx files. Seems like it would be stiff competition for the Zumo, unless I'm missing something? I would definitely be going off the beaten path with any unit I eventually get. I'm not having luck finding info through the search fxn.
tstick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #124
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
Hope you realize its not water proof and jpg viewing is more important than tracks & routes on these models.
What is jpg viewing? For dirt riding nothing is more important than TRACKS which none of the street units (Zumo is a street unit) support.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #125
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
What is jpg viewing? For dirt riding nothing is more important than TRACKS which none of the street units (Zumo is a street unit) support.
You have that right. And jpg viewing is one of the features they like to build in to a guidance tool for some reason. Guess so you can flip thru family photos while you sit there lost
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #126
mtsabbath
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
The Nuvi is <$150 and you can download custom routes directly to it from Google maps.
Which nuvi models allow you to do this?
How exactly do you do this?

thanks.
mtsabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #127
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsabbath
Which nuvi models allow you to do this?
How exactly do you do this?

thanks.
Sorry, You can download POI's directly from google maps, not routes. You need to do your route planning in the free Mapsource program from Garmin.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #128
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Question Garmin Nuvi 500 - City NT + TOPO preloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstick14
Has anyone had experience with the NUVI 500? Waterproof comes with lower 48 and topo and takes microSD. Garmin site says motorcycle friendly and can take gpx files. Seems like it would be stiff competition for the Zumo, unless I'm missing something? I would definitely be going off the beaten path with any unit I eventually get. I'm not having luck finding info through the search fxn.

Taken out of the Nuvi thread with no responses.....
I'm interested in hearing about the Garmin Nuvi 500.

Being kind of unique that it will combine City NT and TOPO maps to be displayed at the same time in 3D, I'd think more folks would be into this...
I'm considering replacing my SP with the 500 instead of being that guy with 2 GPS's, because I want to see both maps ATST, neither the StreetPilot or the Zumo will do that.

I can't find any confirmation, but it appears that the 500 comes with a male RAM ball mounted on the rear. So in other words I just need a female RAM mount to get it affixed to my bike. In theory.

With the specs it sounds ideal, so does anyone have a Nuvi 500 on their bike?
Do you like it?
What GPS did you have before?

thanks

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #129
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,697
Back into the Nuvi thread. Not a lot of Nuvi discussion given its limitations.

Dave
ADV Mod

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #130
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Being kind of unique that it will combine City NT and TOPO maps to be displayed at the same time in 3D, I'd think more folks would be into this...
"kind of unique" is a bit like "a little bit pregnant", huh.....

The nüvi® 760T will also do what you require. My European model came with City Navigator NT Europe installed and I've installed Topo UK on an SD card. Both mapsets will display simutaneously and in 3D if you wish. The only downside I've noticed is that the unit has hung on a couple of occasions recently when I've disabled City Navigator maps and just run the Topo maps in plan view.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 AM   #131
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Quote:

Taken out of the Nuvi thread with no responses.....
I'm interested in hearing about the Garmin Nuvi 500.

I'm considering replacing my SP with the 500 instead of being that guy with 2 GPS's, because I want to see both maps ATST, neither the StreetPilot or the Zumo will do that.

I can't find any confirmation, but it appears that the 500 comes with a male RAM ball mounted on the rear. So in other words I just need a female RAM mount to get it affixed to my bike. In theory.

With the specs it sounds ideal, so does anyone have a Nuvi 500 on their bike?
Do you like it?
What GPS did you have before?

thanks
I have one, just finished a small trip using it and I loved it. The RAM mount doesn't come with it, it has a mount that contains a female "ram style" mount. I used a small pelican box for mine until the real mounts are released.

I've use a garmin v for a long time and recently bought a colorado 400t which was returned because it was not what I was hoping it was. The topo and three d mapping was great. battery life is ony about 4hrs if you keep the backlight higher than 20%. I didn't get to test the h2o proofness, so cant comment on that.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #132
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
, because I want to see both maps ATST, neither the StreetPilot or the Zumo will do that.

thanks
That is not true. You can make your own custom maps in MapSource by combining maps and loading them into any Garmin that has the capability to load maps.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #133
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum
"kind of unique" is a bit like "a little bit pregnant", huh.....

The nüvi® 760T will also do what you require. My European model came with City Navigator NT Europe installed and I've installed Topo UK on an SD card. Both mapsets will display simutaneously and in 3D if you wish. The only downside I've noticed is that the unit has hung on a couple of occasions recently when I've disabled City Navigator maps and just run the Topo maps in plan view.

thanks for the free grammar lesson, mate. what was I thinking?

The 7-series looks very nice, too bad they're not waterproof and are no good for me for that reason. I like the wide screen though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlabs
I have one, just finished a small trip using it and I loved it. The RAM mount doesn't come with it, it has a mount that contains a female "ram style" mount. I used a small pelican box for mine until the real mounts are released.

I've use a garmin v for a long time and recently bought a colorado 400t which was returned because it was not what I was hoping it was. The topo and three d mapping was great. battery life is ony about 4hrs if you keep the backlight higher than 20%. I didn't get to test the h2o proofness, so cant comment on that.
Thanks for your response, any chance you have a picture of the mount?
I too have played with the Colorado, but found out that it couldn't give me what I want by it's self... I'm already giving up quite a few functions by going from a SP to a Nuvi anyways, but the 3D combined map and unit size is very alluring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
That is not true. You can make your own custom maps in MapSource by combining maps and loading them into any Garmin that has the capability to load maps.
I have unsuccessfully tried to do something like that, any pointer's or threads I should look for?
Even if i can combine them like you say, it wouldn't be displayed with the 3D graphics like the Nuvi would it?

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 10-19-2008 at 07:58 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #134
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Quote:
thanks for the free grammar lesson, mate. what was I thinking?

The 7-series looks very nice, too bad they're not waterproof and are no good for me for that reason. I like the wide screen though...

Thanks for your response, any chance you have a picture of the mount?
I too have played with the Colorado, but found out that it couldn't give me what I want by it's self... I'm already giving up quite a few functions by going from a SP to a Nuvi anyways, but the 3D combined map and unit size is very alluring.

I have unsuccessfully tried to do something like that, any pointer's or threads I should look for?
Even if i can combine them like you say, it wouldn't be displayed with the 3D graphics like the Nuvi would it?
You need to download the Mapsource program from Garmin, but first download and install "Training Center" from their website (both are free but Mapsource will not work unless you have another paid program installed unless you have "training center" installed)

Then, with mapsource you can combine any maps you have bought or downloaded. If you don't have any of the garmin maps "unlocked" then you can download the Ibycus USA and topo maps (free) and combine them in Mapsource and load to your Nuvi SD card. Enable those maps in the options menu and disable the stock garmin map (probably Citi Navigator USA or North America or something like that). the Free Ibycus map is just as good as the Garmin version but lacks the many points of interest. If you want to find the nearest gas station or motel, then just go to options and enable the garmin map and search.

You can do all this for free. Buy yourself a 4GB or higher SD card and you can put tons of info on it. The Ibycus maps run about 1.5GB each. That leaves you with a whole GB for other maps and POI's.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #135
JorgeTeix
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Garmin Nuvi 550

Hi there, from Portugal.
This is my first post, and I would like to know your opinion about the new Garmin Nuvi 550.
Thanx,
Jorge Teixeira
JorgeTeix is offline   Reply With Quote