Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh spectacular scenery

dude awesome shots, loving the bike also nice rr
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,499
Great trip, I was out there today. I live in Craig and believe it or not I have driven a 1 ton pickup with stock trailer across the Swinging Bridge. You unload your criiters on one side in the corrals, drive across and then bring the critters across. There was an old sign that used to say LOAD LIMIT 1 truck and trailer OR 15 cows or 30 sheep. The guys swimming are probably hunters, archery season is going on out there right now( I know Greg). There is a Great ride back over to vernal if you would have turned right after the Taylor Flats road.
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #18
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider
There is a Great ride back over to vernal if you would have turned right after the Taylor Flats road.
Hey nwcolorider

I'm planning to ride out there again and do the road to Vernal. I google-earthed the road a couple days ago and the terrain looks like a great ride. Man getting a truck across that bridge must require grease . If you see Greg tell him I said hi

Are there any other roads out there you recommend?
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,130
Nice Pix. I hate locked gates too. Don't we all!
Buddy_Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #20
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar
Hey nwcolorider

I'm planning to ride out there again and do the road to Vernal. I google-earthed the road a couple days ago and the terrain looks like a great ride. Man getting a truck across that bridge must require grease . If you see Greg tell him I said hi

Are there any other roads out there you recommend?
Just pull in the mirrors and off you go. The first time I went across with my wife I did stop and go's all the way across making the bridge swing. She liked to killed me when we got to the other side. Enjoy the trip over to Vernal, Crouse Canyon is great. The bridge is supposed to be opening soon, a guy at road and bridge said 2-3 weeks.
nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #21
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider
The first time I went across with my wife I did stop and go's all the way across making the bridge swing. She liked to killed me when we got to the other side.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
Great ride report... really enjoyed the read, and the photos.

two things-

You asked about that cloud?
It's clearly the starship Enterprise.

and,

Greg (or Joe) is one hairy mofo!

Thanks again!
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Down in the valley, at each intersection I bore right as per Mr. Fedex's directions, which happened to match up well with my British tongued GPS. Cool!

I finally reached a spot with a Detour sign pointing right, and my GPS agreed, so I crossed a bridge leading over the Green River, which, by the way, is actually green.

Unfortunately, you made one too many right turns . The detour sign was for the Swinging Bridge closure. If you would have stayed straight when you came off the steep hill, you would have ended up on 318 headed to Maybell. Of course you would have then missed the adventure at Swinging Bridge

Dave
Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #24
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Noooooooooow you tell me
Old 11-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
Swinging Bridge

I had the same problem at that bridge last year while riding my 950 by myself----didn't even think of going under it.

I got there before you did---as they had dug hole for the new cable supports--which is why the
bridge was closed.

8 weeks later I was on my WR250R and me and my buddy had rode from Mexico to Canada on mostly dirt---and
on the way back we got kind of close to the bridge and I asked my buddy Scott if he wanted to see it----as I told him it
was spectacular---but we couldn't get across as it was closed.

We ran into good luck---the construction guys were finishing up---and unlocked the gates so we got to ride across it.

I'm sure the work is done by now and the bridge is surely open for traffic.

The bridge is spectacular.

Maybe you said---but there is another bridge on the Green river about 10 miles West of the suspension bridge----I went across it on my first attempt.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #26
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Hey Mark thanks for posting! That brought back memories and it was fun to see your pics. Thanks for splaining why it was closed as well...

Man I'm jealous to hear you did Mex to Can (MexYcan) that would be a blast.

By the way did you take the road over the top of the park to Vernal from the bridge or skirt back around to Dutch John?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #27
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Hey Mark thanks for posting! That brought back memories and it was fun to see your pics. Thanks for splaining why it was closed as well...

Man I'm jealous to hear you did Mex to Can (MexYcan) that would be a blast.

By the way did you take the road over the top of the park to Vernal from the bridge or skirt back around to Dutch John?
The Mex/Can ride me and my buddy did last year was not the one near the West Coast----it's a guided ride stayin' in motels with lots of riders and a fee--------------------------not my style at all.

Me and my buddy Scott Stevenson pioneered a whole new route from Mexico to Canada starting in an Abandoned town on the Mexican border called Lochiel, Arizona----it actually used to be a border crossing point. We rode mostly dirt all the way to the Canada border in Idaho where there was no border crossing on that dirt road--and then headed back South on another route. And as far as I know nobody has attempted to ride it yet. It goes up thru Arizona, Utah and Idaho---but get's in to Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado somehow !!!! It was a month long ride.

It started here---at a very secure border crossing

That ride is here if you want to read it.

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/AnotherWayUp.htm

The first time I came to the bridge----I came from the South on a dirt road---found the bridge blocked as you did---and retraced back West and found another bridge over the Green River near the old historic Levine Ranch. I went North from there--then West thru Dutch John and on West thru Flaming Gorge.

The 2nd time I came to the bridge (On the Mex/Can ride we created) We came straight from the North---crossed the bridge and kept going South on that dirt road that takes you along the edge of Dinosaur National Park. We didn't travel on the highway thru Vernal.

The story of my first trip to the bridge is here:

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/TheBridge.htm
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #28
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Great report and pictures to go along with it. I went the opposite way this fall, so nice to see what the veiw was going the other way. Oh missed the gated crossing, a good thing.

They were going to open the new viewing area in the monument park a couple weeks after I was there.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #29
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
The Mex/Can ride me and my buddy did last year was not the one near the West Coast----it's a guided ride stayin' in motels with lots of riders and a fee--------------------------not my style at all.

Me and my buddy Scott Stevenson pioneered a whole new route from Mexico to Canada starting in an Abandoned town on the Mexican border called Lochiel, Arizona----it actually used to be a border crossing point. We rode mostly dirt all the way to the Canada border in Idaho where there was no border crossing on that dirt road--and then headed back South on another route. And as far as I know nobody has attempted to ride it yet. It goes up thru Arizona, Utah and Idaho---but get's in to Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado somehow !!!! It was a month long ride.

It started here---at a very secure border crossing

BigDog I've been to Lochiel as well Great minds think alike?

Gonna read your reports and thanks for the links man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
Great report and pictures to go along with it. I went the opposite way this fall, so nice to see what the veiw was going the other way. Oh missed the gated crossing, a good thing.

They were going to open the new viewing area in the monument park a couple weeks after I was there.

Cool! Thx flipper - I'm going to get back out there and explore the area one of these days again
Old 11-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #30
dogmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Thanks for the great ride report and pictures I really enjoyed it.