User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
dezel OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
HD road king to adventure rider?

Im looking for some advise. I starting riding dirt bikes at 14 and 40 years later Im riding harleys. I ride about 12 to 15,000 kilometers per year. I would like to get off the pavement and ride some gravel and open up some new experiences. i have ridden my harley on these roads but its not ideal for a number of reasons. I did some research and it appeared the bmw 1200 adventure was the bike for this purpose but when i waited for the test drive day and drove it - i hated the riding position especially how forward i was leaning. That was 2 years ago. i was so disapointed i dropped the idea. Today being new years day and going over my bucket list - i still want to get off the road and know my bike isnt the right one. My questions are 1. any bike suggestions and 2. is this something i need to adjust to or modify the bike to make me comfortable? Im 5' 10 and a big middle aged man with 30 in inseams. Thanks a bunch and happy new years!
dezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 340
Advice on bikes to consider:
I've got no idea how skilled you are riding off road, but getting on a 600# bike and heading into the dirt may not be the best choice. Look into a used Suzuki DR650 or Kawasaki KLR650. They are plentiful, simple and relatively inexpensive. If you end up deciding on something else, you can escape with little money loss.

As far as adapting the bike to suit you, there are many options for altering points of contact (feet, hands and seat) to improve how it feels. The KLR will be taller than the DR, but there are lowering links available to change that. Handle bar risers, peg lowering, custom seats, etc.

You'd be surprised how much enjoyment you can buy with 3-4K$. Good luck with your decision, use the winter months to visit show rooms and test-sit bikes.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
I think it's something you need to adjust to, dezel. All dual sport or Adventure bikes will have a similar riding position and for good reason. That type of riding requires plenty of suspension travel. You need to easily be able stand up on the pegs, so they will be located more under your rump than out front like a cruiser and the wide leverage bars need to work sitting or standing. Lots of suspension + pegs under you = tall seat.
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,561
I'd really avoid the BMW's for off road work, not to mention their lack of reliability and high cost of ownership. If you're going to go for a big adventure style bike, I'd look at a KTM 990 - they are a million times more fun offroad and just about as comfy on road.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I'd really avoid the BMW's for off road work, not to mention their lack of reliability and high cost of ownership... I'd look at a KTM 990

LOL out of the frying pan and into the fire.
2000 CB750
1993 R100R
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
tpresten
RideUmAll

Oddometer: 172
Just get a Wee-Strom 650 and ride that but keep the Harley as well.
tpresten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,708
I would start with an adventure style single. Anything from a KLR to a G650. I'm not sure KTM is any more reliable (or cheaper to maintain) than a BMW...
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Bikenstitches
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
I would start with an adventure style single. Anything from a KLR to a G650. I'm not sure KTM is any more reliable (or cheaper to maintain) than a BMW...
I had Electra Glides from '97 until 2008, occasionally taking them on fire roads. I then got a used '05 650 Dakar, and was so blown away by its offroad and highway capability, I sold my '07 HD after it sat for a year unused.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
I had Electra Glides from '97 until 2008, occasionally taking them on fire roads. I then got a used '05 650 Dakar, and was so blown away by its offroad and highway capability, I sold my '07 HD after it sat for a year unused.
Agreed. The 650's are far more capable than many on larger bikes would like to believe.
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,541
If you are reasonably fit, once your muscle memory gets used to Adventure bike ergo's, I bet you'll really like it.

I've had previous GSA's and moved to a Electra Glide Limited for a couple of years and now back to a GSA. It took me a few rides to get used to the Harley and it took me a few rides to again get used to the BMW.

Both excellent, reliable brands with lots of technology in current models.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Went from this-
To this-
No problems. The Duc is actually more comfortable to me.
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 AM   #12
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 8,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezel View Post
Im looking for some advise. I starting riding dirt bikes at 14 and 40 years later Im riding harleys. I ride about 12 to 15,000 kilometers per year. I would like to get off the pavement and ride some gravel and open up some new experiences. i have ridden my harley on these roads but its not ideal for a number of reasons. I did some research and it appeared the bmw 1200 adventure was the bike for this purpose but when i waited for the test drive day and drove it - i hated the riding position especially how forward i was leaning. That was 2 years ago. i was so disapointed i dropped the idea. Today being new years day and going over my bucket list - i still want to get off the road and know my bike isnt the right one. My questions are 1. any bike suggestions and 2. is this something i need to adjust to or modify the bike to make me comfortable? Im 5' 10 and a big middle aged man with 30 in inseams. Thanks a bunch and happy new years!

Welcome to the asylum.

You already own an adventure bike. You just need to change your outlook.

LA to South America on a Road King - click link

Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
dezel OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Many thanks

Wow! Many thanks for the input and the welcome. I take away some patience and persistance is required as I venture off the pavement. Looking at the pictures from your forum and your stories - i am excited about exploring the roads less travelled. A change is perspective is also required. As well I'll spend the balance of the winter "test - sitting" a bunch of 650 to 800 bike with a real good look at the wee strom. I am also encouraged by the number of you are " dual sport " bike enthusiasts meaning have a Harley for touring and sometimes adventure travel but none the less drink the Harley Kool-aid and ride another bikes too and may or may not drink that Kool-aid too. Another change in perspective is the clean bike things. I love to ride off the pavement but also dont like a dirty bike - cant have one without the other. Thanks a bunch.
dezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,866
Keep the H-D ,it's perfect on smooth roads. Add one of these, not a new one, don't fall into that trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVoa...detailpage#t=4

The bike in the video is mine. I loaned it to Jim at Outland Moto for the weekend to make the vid. I think the video came out great.
Cheap bikes are where the fun is.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Keep the H-D ,it's perfect on smooth roads. Add one of these, not a new one, don't fall into that trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVoa...detailpage#t=4

The bike in the video is mine. I loaned it to Jim at Outland Moto for the weekend to make the vid. I think the video came out great.
Cheap bikes are where the fun is.
Nice video! I had a 2008 KLR, but wanted to rip around off road so sold it and went down the KTM line. The video is spot on though, because the KLR is simple, and good used ones can be had cheap. Maybe the original poster should keep his Harley as you suggested and get a used thumper of some sort to test the off road waters.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote