User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
garandman OP
Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer: 6,184
What to make of Triumph Tiger 1050?

On paper, this looks like the bike for me. A lot more power, relaxed riding position, not to heavy.

But I've never met a more ambivalent group of owners. What's the deal with this bike?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,415
The deal is in my case, it's the LAST bike that will be sold out of my fleet. The engine is a sexy beast low end torque, high end howl, deep suspension is just the ticket for the frost heave busted junk back roads. Ergos work great for my old body. Come to Great Bay Tomorrow and TRY ONE!
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....TPOuKZBw%3D%3D
Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
HolyCannoli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I have owned everything from 70's 2-strokes, 999, KTM 690sm and the Tiger is the most well rounded bike I have every owned. The motor is extremely satisfying and I am (or was) a hard core twin guy. I will tell you that the stock front end is complete and total shit. If you purchase one, be sure to cough up the cash for the Race Tech spring AND valve kit. I was able to get it from Race Tech for $460.00. Worth ever single penny and then some.
HolyCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
It is a nice machine. I just bought one. Tons of power, smooth, easy to handle. My other bikes are sportbikes so there is a little learning curve there. I was looking at the 2 valve Multistrada before this & decided that the Tiger would be the better choice.

There is a very long thread here on the 1050 Tiger. I read it all & most of the threads on the 1050 Tiger forum before buying the bike.

What was the part that you didn't like about them??

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
It is a nice machine. I just bought one. Tons of power, smooth, easy to handle. My other bikes are sportbikes so there is a little learning curve there. I was looking at the 2 valve Multistrada before this & decided that the Tiger would be the better choice.

There is a very long thread here on the 1050 Tiger. I read it all & most of the threads on the 1050 Tiger forum before buying the bike.

What was the part that you didn't like about them??
lol, the Duc MS was EXACTLY the bike I was hot for, but saw the alloy frame on the Tiger and my fabricators heart melted. The power/weight, etc was very close to the Duc, and better ergors (for me anyway).
Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I began to scare myself on sportbikes and I needed to slow down a litte (sick + old age = brain fade & poor reflexes) and thought the tiger would be my do it all maybe last bike. I did all kinds of research and took many test rides. Bought a new SE. It was just terrible to live with! Besides just being a chore to climb up on (I'm 6'), the headlight doesn't light, the suspension is really scary, riding position hurt my back, little wind protection (I'm allergic to bees), buffeting is unfixable, the seat is unbearable, the hard bags are a joke and while the motor is electric it has nothing up top. I spent lots of money trying to "fix" it because I really wanted to like it but in the end it was just too weird and really scary to ride for me. Lost a lot of money on that mistake.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Mimic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Cool2

I'll vouch for the Tiger. The motor is the main reason. Yeah you can get stiffer springs for it, extra lights etc... No bike is perfect. This one gets my head up where I can see and be seen, the bars wide so the bike responds without horsing it. If you're over 200lbs. You'll need to do the susp. But man, that triple on song at 5500 RPM and up is right up there with a great Clarence Clemons solo.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 446
after 30k miles i still love mine. never a problem with it. i did add hid lighting. very comfrotable for me
Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,052
I test rode both the Multistrada 1200 and the Tiger 1050. They are very similar in several aspects. They are likely to both arrive at the final destination at the same time. The Triumph is a more well mannered bike at all levels while the Ducati gives that visceral experience that is difficult to explain.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
tallbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Sure do like my 2010 Tiger. I've had it a little less than a year and 15k miles. I'm a heavy weight so I put 1.0 kg springs in the forks and new oil and I'm real happy with the handling. The motor is a great street motor. Very tractable and easy to use. You can uncork it for more top end but I'll probably keep it stock at least for a year or two.

I'll add some aux lighting at some point and maybe a stiffer rear spring but that's about it.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,716
Curious about this myself. I was in Atlanta yesterday at a used bike dealer, and saw two 1050 Tigers there. One of them had a ADV sticker on the pannier, so some inmate had it. Makes me wonder what he went to next.

I could tell from sitting on it that it needed to be sprung differently. I'm ~220lbs, and it squat enough with me on it that I couldn't put the kickstand down. Seemed like a nice bike though. I don't know that I liked it $9K worth though. Seemed high.

I originally went to this place after seeing a 2005 Tiger on their site in good shape for under $5K. It was of course sold by the time I got there. Different bike from the later ones for sure, but always wanted to try one out.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
I have an SE with 23K miles. Now, im 6'9" it was a little small for me. But I added the optional tall seat and now the ergos are dead on perfect. I can keep up with most sport bikes in the canyons yet I can also take the bike camping. The bike is bulletproof! the head lights arent great. So I recommend speding $25 for some slim ballast HID lights from DDM.I switched out the standed read shock for the optional Sport shock and it was well worth it.
I love this bike!
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I loved my Tiger till the accident. My only real problems were wind noise and, I'm sure I'm in a small group here, it felt too light to me. Some bumps around here would cause me to almost lose traction on both wheels, unlike my heavier bandit that only lightens on the front end.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Big Lee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Great bike but shit suspension, £470 later and I had a different bike, not a bit better, a different bike!!
TOR can and tune to make her sound like it should and you`ve a head turner
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
I loved my Tiger till the accident. My only real problems were wind noise and, I'm sure I'm in a small group here, it felt too light to me. Some bumps around here would cause me to almost lose traction on both wheels, unlike my heavier bandit that only lightens on the front end.
That's not weight, that's suspension.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote