Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #196
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
but nobody knew the difference back the now did they ?

mr openroad screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 09:28 PM
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #197
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad
but nobody new the difference back the now did they ?
Knew.

Take the H1 Mach III a.k.a. the "Flexible Flyer", "Widow Maker", "Kamikaze 500", "Triple with a Ripple", "Grenade Launcher" etc.. The H1 enjoyed good sales.

Everybody knew motorcycles had massive room for improvement. Pick up a Walneck's and read the reviews.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #198
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
Knew.

Take the H1 Mach III a.k.a. the "Flexible Flyer", "Widow Maker", "Kamikaze 500", "Triple with a Ripple", "Grenade Launcher" etc.. The H1 enjoyed good sales.

Everybody knew motorcycles had massive room for improvement. Pick up a Walneck's and read the reviews.
thank you
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #199
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
hope it makes it here and has character AND a kickstarter...FWIW rode a brand new Thruxton a year ago and liked it OK but it did not excite me, seemed kinda bland....recently bought a 1973 Norton Commando aND LOVE it but don't take it too far from home, would buy a new bike in a heartbeat that had as much character and was dead relaible (hmmm...is that possible??). Probably mostly a genearational thing though, started riding waaay back in the '70's and am still much happier on a bike w/ wire wheels, a kickstarter, a flat seat, a rumble etc.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #200
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Bonneville versus W650

Three years ago I pondered buying a used W650 but because I only own one motorcycle at a time I bought a standard Bonneville. Indeed when I threw it down the road it was fixed and home in two weeks and for a thousand dollars. I rather think I'd still be waiting for parts for a W650, considering how rare it is in the US. In retropsect I think I got a better deal with the Bonneville for my kind of riding even though it is less "authentically retro" than the W650. The larger engine gives more power and makes the Bonneville a nice tourer as well as a pleasant short haul motorcycle, and it has tons of accessories to back it up, unlike the Kawasaki.
With 41,000 miles on the 2007 Bonneville I rate it one of the best motorcycles I have owned in 40 years. It is on the road almost daily for my 27 mile commute, it ploughs through Florida rainstorms without missing a beat, it starts, it runs without vibrations, it stops, it returns 43-48 mpg. It looks fine to my eyes though I have it all messed up with windshield and luggage. It is a retro bike that appeals to my memories of my youth (I never wanted a Bonneville in the 1970s- too unreliable!) and carries the looks I like. It is eminently useable. It is available for sale at your neighborhood Triumph dealer. It sells well. It has no kickstarter (oh well, I would like one for fun) no ABS (I don't care) but I have completed one Saddle Sore Iron Butt with the standard saddle which works better for me than the banana shaped thing on the proposed W800. I could own a temperamental Ural for more money or Royal Enfield for a little less or I could sit and pine for a mythical W800 or unobtainable Honda 1100. I like to ride and wonder at people who say "...if it had... I would buy one..." The fact that you don't have a Bonneville sort of proves ge's thesis. Which unfortunately might provoke another round of outrage. Sorry. Oh and the good old days were great- but they'd have been greater with a modern Bonneville!

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 11:08 PM
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 AM   #201
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Been looking aound for some sneek peeks (spy photos) of the W800. Surprised none have popped-up yet.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #202
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
Been looking aound for some sneek peeks (spy photos) of the W800. Surprised none have popped-up yet.

it's probably news to Kawasaki too.
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #203
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,302
Well, the good old days were good for me. I wanted a Triumph, since that was what I'd learned on, but could only afford a new '65 Honda 305 Superhawk. In retrospect, probably a much better bike for the new rider with limited, at the time, mechanical capabilities.

Fast forward a few (many) years, and having owned a Triumph in the past, now buy a W650.

All my Triumph dreams are now fulfilled, all good with no electrical, oil or reliability distractions.

So now the good new days are happy too. Glad to see Kawasaki continuing THEIR legacy with another new model.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #204
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
That's a VERY good point. This thread is based almost entirely on an article from MCN. MCN can and has been spot on with the VFR1200 and new Triumph Tiger 800, however they've been known in the past to .. umm embellish stories to some extent ... I'll believe this one when I hear something directly from Kawasaki.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #205
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter
Three years ago I pondered buying a used W650 but because I only own one motorcycle at a time I bought a standard Bonneville. Indeed when I threw it down the road it was fixed and home in two weeks and for a thousand dollars. I rather think I'd still be waiting for parts for a W650, considering how rare it is in the US. In retropsect I think I got a better deal with the Bonneville for my kind of riding even though it is less "authentically retro" than the W650. The larger engine gives more power and makes the Bonneville a nice tourer as well as a pleasant short haul motorcycle, and it has tons of accessories to back it up, unlike the Kawasaki.
With 41,000 miles on the 2007 Bonneville I rate it one of the best motorcycles I have owned in 40 years. It is on the road almost daily for my 27 mile commute, it ploughs through Florida rainstorms without missing a beat, it starts, it runs without vibrations, it stops, it returns 43-48 mpg. It looks fine to my eyes though I have it all messed up with windshield and luggage. It is a retro bike that appeals to my memories of my youth (I never wanted a Bonneville in the 1970s- too unreliable!) and carries the looks I like. It is eminently useable. It is available for sale at your neighborhood Triumph dealer. It sells well. It has no kickstarter (oh well, I would like one for fun) no ABS (I don't care) but I have completed one Saddle Sore Iron Butt with the standard saddle which works better for me than the banana shaped thing on the proposed W800. I could own a temperamental Ural for more money or Royal Enfield for a little less or I could sit and pine for a mythical W800 or unobtainable Honda 1100. I like to ride and wonder at people who say "...if it had... I would buy one..." The fact that you don't have a Bonneville sort of proves ge's thesis. Which unfortunately might provoke another round of outrage. Sorry. Oh and the good old days were great- but they'd have been greater with a modern Bonneville!
ha! Very Well Said!

I pine for motorcycles that are out of reach, like the CB1100 and the CBF1000 - but experience has taught me they often look better when you can't see them up close and personal - so I try to never say "I would buy it" I know good and well that I DON'T KNOW if I would buy it or not. Maybe the price is out of my reach. It may be that something else comes up and those funds are needed elsewhere ("What do you mean you bought a new bedroom suit!" ) Life happens. In the mean time I continue to try to ride the wheels off the bike I have, and I am loving every minute of it. It would take a great motorcycle to get me off the V-Strom. There isn't much chance the W800 will be kicking the DL1000 out of my garage. If there was, I would already own a Bonneville.

I do hope Kawasaki sees a market for the W800 in the US, though. And I hope enough people step up to the plate and make the purchase to keep both the Bonneville and the W800 in the US.
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #206
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze
ha! Very Well Said!

I pine for motorcycles that are out of reach, like the CB1100 and the CBF1000 - but experience has taught me they often look better when you can't see them up close and personal - so I try to never say "I would buy it" I know good and well that I DON'T KNOW if I would buy it or not.

Sorry, but it looked great up close!

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #207
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
Sorry, but it looked great up close!
I completely agree! I breathed on a few CB1100Fs in Japan this summer, and the motorcycle looks even better in person than in the photos.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #208
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
FWIW rode a brand new Thruxton a year ago and liked it OK but it did not excite me, seemed kinda bland....
add new pipes
subtract airbox
rejet (or remap as the case may be)
= character
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #209
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
I like the idea of the CB1100 but the tank looks like a slug to me.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #210
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
It looks like a GB500 tank.