Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
I feel on a bike like this that you are unlikely to actually activate the ABS very often. Of course, I am not usually in the ABS category except in the case of very large bikes with powerful brakes or perhaps sport bikes (also with powerful brakes). I suppose folks like you who want the ABS want it for that odd time you need it You know what I mean...
It's just like a helmet. You don't know when, or even if you might need it. If you need it and you don't have it. That's the point.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,695
I like it ( and I have a Bonneville). Doesn't need another disk.
ABS - would price it out of the reasonable range for me.
Whole point is a fairly simple bike with retro looks but not retro maintenance/crappy reliability.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #18
professir
Buttugly ol biker

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
Because ABS only works on really fast bikes.
No, because it costs an arm and a leg, an experienced rider can do just as well knowing his/her bike and how to break and its more complexity then needed on a bike ridden SANELY on the city streets.
professir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Why would Kawasaki bring this bike to the US? They brought the W650 for two or so years and sold 60 of them (+ or -). I loved the W650 when it came out, I thought "way to go" (and the equal or better to a Bonneville) but I didn't spring for one. This 800 seems to be the same idea, only not as good looking. And that Kawasaki green, and any version thereof, is and will always be ugly. Bad start. The Bonnevilles are good looking, much better looking with different pipes, but I sense the newer versions with the cast wheels Triumph is losing "that look". My first ride was on a Triumph in 1965 and it will forever encapsulate "motorcycle" to me.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #20
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
I just said 2 disks because I had them on my R65 and I kind of liked them. Overkill on a 2 hp bike, but still- it was nice.

The 650 didn't sell because Kawasaki didn't sell it. No advertising. Zip. And this besides the fact that all the magaziines liked it better than the Bonneville. I found out about the W after it was gone off the sales floors.

Dang it- had to buy a low-miles used one and go and save a lot of money.
Anyway- I like it the way ut us. I sure don't ever wish I had more power / speed.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #21
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,520
Cool! This is the first I've heard of the W800. But I'm bummed they dropped the kickstarter - I use it all the time on my W650. Glad to see they retained the bevel drive cam gear.

I would suspect any U.S. prospects are dim given the sales of the W650 here but then again the retro market has really taken off here (relatively) since then and Triumph pretty much owns it at this point. Would be nice to see Kawi bring it here just to give Triumph a little healthy competition.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni

Freakin sweet!! I just wish Kawasaki would bring in the 250cc and 400cc versions of this bike that they sell in Japan.

As for ABS, 24 years of riding and have never had ABS. No need to add complicated systems to a retro style bike. there are plenty of "refined" bikes out there ruining the riding experience that people can choose from.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
The only thing the W800 needs is to be sold in the U.S. I would buy one and I'll bet a whole lot of middle age riders would also. Are you hearing me, Kawasaki?
Yea soboy,
That's what everyone said about the W650. How many did Kawasaki sell in the two years it was available in the US?
I did my part by buying two but where was everyone else?
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #24
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
Dang it- had to buy a low-miles used one and go and save a lot of money.
Anyway- I like it the way ut us. I sure don't ever wish I had more power / speed.
Hey Uncle Ernie,
Quit rubbing it in, you stole it from me. Yea and it you liked it so much why did you butcher it up?
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #25
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Quote:
Originally Posted by professir
No, because it costs an arm and a leg, an experienced rider can do just as well knowing his/her bike and how to break and its more complexity then needed on a bike ridden SANELY on the city streets.
On a vStrom ABS costs $500, that's chump change unless you live in a house that used to have wheels.

The best racers riders find it difficult to out brake the newest ABS in controlled dry conditions on a track, in controlled wet conditions they can't beat any ABS ever.

City streets are not controlled conditions. ABS wins in the "not always predictable" real world every time.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #26
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Yea soboy,
That's what everyone said about the W650. How many did Kawasaki sell in the two years it was available in the US?
I did my part by buying two but where was everyone else?
Buying Hinckley Triumphs.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #27
professir
Buttugly ol biker

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
On a vStrom ABS costs $500, that's chump change unless you live in a house that used to have wheels.

The best racers riders find it difficult to out brake the newest ABS in controlled dry conditions on a track, in controlled wet conditions they can't beat any ABS ever.

City streets are not controlled conditions. ABS wins in the "not always predictable" real world every time.
Yup, chump change. And of course, with the flush motorcycle market the way it is, I am SURE people will flock to a dealer, drop an additional $500 on a retro bike, with the cutting edge break system. (read sarcasm)

Ok, real world- As mentioned, there are tons of "cutting edge" bikes out there for the knee dragging speed freaks. For me? $500 translates to over 8000 miles of riding. Having ridden for over 40 years, avg 8000=10,000 miles a year, and having to pick up a bike twice (both in a parking lot from soft black top- yes, I should have learned the first time), I would pass on a bike with ABS every time. But then again, what do I know, I am madly in love with a Evo Sportster! :)
professir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #28
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 955
Pffft..ABS..
You look at a bike like this and think ABS..if you really NEED ABS..probably should add two more wheels and some doors.
Not for me that's for sure.
Back to the bike..classic kawi for sure. But probably wouldn't sell its own weight in the US.
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #29
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni
I don't think kawi thought there was much wrong with it either, but it didn't sell.
Maybe it didn't sell well at the time, but they seem to be in demand now... still, in this case I think 800cc is not overkill - it's just right. Bring it on!
Add me to those who would like ABS at least as an option.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #30
dirtRiderGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
The bike is cool for sure and I would consider buying one.

Rather than ABS, on a bike such as this, I would rather have a factory tubliss system available: doestn't exist though.
dirtRiderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote