Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #91
Infallible
Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
ya know you can talk all day about practicing for that oh shit moment, but in the reality of it happening you're squeezing the brakes as hard as you can for the fear of death.
Ya know you can talk all day because in the end, its just talk. The idea of ABS on a basic model like this, seems a bit ridiculous. I guess I still like riding motorcycles that are motorcycles, not as close to cars as possible.
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #92
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Color, that's what they make paint guns for.
Good point! With chrome fenders you only need to paint the tank!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #93
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,410
I think the W800 is very interesting, and I would love to see it on the showroom floor - but, if you are really interested in a bike like this, your Triumph dealer has them now. And for a pretty reasonable price. Why would you pass on a Bonneville and buy the W800 instead? Also what's up with the rear turn signals, mounted beside the seat like that? If you want to put some soft luggage on it, you will need a relocator kit for the turn signals.
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #94
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze
I think the W800 is very interesting, and I would love to see it on the showroom floor - but, if you are really interested in a bike like this, your Triumph dealer has them now. And for a pretty reasonable price. Why would you pass on a Bonneville and buy the W800 instead? Also what's up with the rear turn signals, mounted beside the seat like that? If you want to put some soft luggage on it, you will need a relocator kit for the turn signals.
Because the W800 motor looks far better than the drab looking lump Triumph uses, which looks like it was designed in East Germany in the '70s. Not to mention the exhaust pipes with the goofy looking rise right before the mufflers.

Quote:
Also what's up with the rear turn signals, mounted beside the seat like that? If you want to put some soft luggage on it, you will need a relocator kit for the turn signals.
It looks good for the majority who won't use soft luggage, and for those who will, the relocator kit will be a whopping $30 or so....
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #95
A Knight Who Says Ni OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Why would you pass on a Bonneville and buy the W800 instead?

why not?
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #96
beep

Oddometer: n/a
If the bike's less expensive, lighter and as reliable as the Triumph I'd definately be interested. Add to the mix the fact that I can walk to my nearest Kawasaki dealer and it's a fairly easy decision. I also think the Kwack looks better than the current Bonneville. I'll definately be getting a testride when it arrives. Couldn't care less what the badge on the tanks says, providing the bike is right.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #97
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Knobbies, a bash plate and a chrome rear rack would make it a great bike for cruising powerlines and around town. I love the Triumph Scrambler and it sounds amazing with Arrow pipes but it's not exactly overly powerful when you have to dice with 85mph traffic on I495.
JohninVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #98
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Because the W800 motor looks far better than the drab looking lump Triumph uses, which looks like it was designed in East Germany in the '70s. Not to mention the exhaust pipes with the goofy looking rise right before the mufflers.
I don't know about "far better", but that's subjective anyway.

Only the T-100 has the pipes like that now. Bonneville, Bonneville SE and Thruxton pipes are straight upswept reverse megaphones. Yes, the Bonnie and SE have 17" cast wheels. I like them, no worries about fixing a flat on a tubed tire.

Yes it's silly and shallow - but I wanted a Triumph Bonneville - not a Kawasaki Bonneville

That said - the W800 (and the 650/400) are very nice bikes.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #99
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I don't know about "far better", but that's subjective anyway.

Only the T-100 has the pipes like that now. Bonneville, Bonneville SE and Thruxton pipes are straight upswept reverse megaphones. Yes, the Bonnie and SE have 17" cast wheels. I like them, no worries about fixing a flat on a tubed tire.

Yes it's silly and shallow - but I wanted a Triumph Bonneville - not a Kawasaki Bonneville

That said - the W800 (and the 650/400) are very nice bikes.
All I can say is Kawasaki never made a "Bonneville" clone. The motor in the W looks nothing like what Triumph used.

And the overall look of the British parallel twin doesn't belong to Triumph alone. BSA, Norton as well as non-UK manufacturers were churning out similar looking bikes in the '50s and '60s. Check out this 1955 German Horax.

In any case the Hinckley Triumph has nothing in common with the Coventry Triumphs of old other than the fact that John Bloor bought the name so in a sense they could be called knockoffs....
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 03:33 PM
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #100
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

It looks good for the majority who won't use soft luggage, and for those who will, the relocator kit will be a whopping $30 or so....
In YOUR opinion the Triumph motor is not as attractive as the W800 motor. Fair enough, that's a good reason to prefer the W800 - but it's your opinion, not necessarily fact. Chances are good most owners are going to change out the exhaust on either bike (I know I would!) so I don't worry about the kink pipes. And I would be greatly surprised if you could get the relocator kit for $30. Perhaps you meant $130? And then it will look like it's got a relocator kit on it.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #101
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
All I can say is Kawasaki never made a "Bonneville" knockoff. The motor in the W looks nothing like what Triumph used.

And the overall look of the British parallel twin doesn't belong to Triumph alone. BSA, Norton as well as non-UK manufacturers were churning out similar looking bikes in the '50s and '60s.

And finally, the Hinckley Triumph has nothing in common with the Coventry Triumphs of old other than the fact that John Bloor bought the name so in a sense they could be called knockoffs....
Do you think Kawasaki would be building the W800 if Triumph wasn't already in the market with their retro twins?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #102
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Do you think Kawasaki would be building the W800 if Triumph wasn't already in the market with their retro twins?
Definitely, Kawasaki's roots with that design go back about 45 years, when it started building the W1, and even longer if you count Meguro, a mfg that Kawasaki bought up. The W is a nod to the W1, which was hugely popular in Japan.

Kawasaki only stopped building the W650 in '08 because it couldn't meet the latest emissions regs, not because it wasn't selling. Given how much EPA regs stifle performance, Kawasaki didn't have much choice but to bump the motor up to 800cc.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 08-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #103
tbirdsp
REMF

I didn't really mean theat the modern W-models are "clones" of Bonneville, but the basic styling cues are similar. They are in the same "retro bike" class.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #104
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I didn't really mean theat the modern W-models are "clones" of Bonneville, but the basic styling cues are similar. They are in the same "retro bike" class.
One thing's for sure, they're all fun to ride.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #105
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
One thing's for sure, they're all fun to ride.
So true