User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,269
Chevy silverado

Whos got one? What is general consensus with these versus the ford and Toyota around here? Looking newest gen, 4x4 5.3l. Are they reliable?

Tallbastid screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 09:02 AM
Tallbastid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Lack of response speaks volumes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,938
I had a 2000 Silverado 4x4 half ton with the 5.3L. It was utterly dependable for the 50k miles or so I had it. I got 17-21mpg. Used it hard: hauled hay in the bed and on a trailer, plowed snow in the winter, ran it thru foot deep muck in mud season. It never let me down. Traded it in on a Chevy 2500HD which was also extremely reliable, though the fuel economy sucked.

Now I have a Toyota Tacoma. Nice truck, but doesn't ride as nice, doesn't carry or haul as much, and gets worse mileage with the V6 than my first Chevy with the V8.

If I'd never read Consumer Reports I would have been happy forever with my Chevy.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
I had a 2000 Silverado 4x4 half ton with the 5.3L. It was utterly dependable for the 50k miles or so I had it. I got 17-21mpg. Used it hard: hauled hay in the bed and on a trailer, plowed snow in the winter, ran it thru foot deep muck in mud season. It never let me down. Traded it in on a Chevy 2500HD which was also extremely reliable, though the fuel economy sucked.

Now I have a Toyota Tacoma. Nice truck, but doesn't ride as nice, doesn't carry or haul as much, and gets worse mileage with the V6 than my first Chevy with the V8.

If I'd never read Consumer Reports I would have been happy forever with my Chevy.

I have heard and read that the 'new style' Silverado rides better and is quieter. All I can compare with is my '07 Classic, 2500HD, 4wd, CCLB, duramax. I find it comfortable enough to drive NH to KW with minimal stops, gets close to 20 mpg on the highway, 11 mpg towing a camper with 2 bikes inside and has been stone reliable for 120,000 miles so far. I did have the check engine light on for a while, finally put in new glow plugs last month ($200 and 2 hours of my time) and that went away. YMMV. I don't change trucks often, the '94 SB that I traded in for this truck had 237,000 and was still running great with the original clutch but I wasn't sure that it was up to worry free long trips so ......

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
I have had my 2012 GMC Sierra (same as Silverado) for about 7 months and no complaints. I shopped for the drivetrain that would give the best gas mileage and to me that is the 5.3 engine that comes with the 6 speed transmission. I got the 3.08 rear end because I don't do much trailer hauling and it will maximize the fuel efficiency. It has more than enough power and should be able to haul anything I might need to.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
I have had my 2012 GMC Sierra (same as Silverado) for about 7 months and no complaints. I shopped for the drivetrain that would give the best gas mileage and to me that is the 5.3 engine that comes with the 6 speed transmission. I got the 3.08 rear end because I don't do much trailer hauling and it will maximize the fuel efficiency. It has more than enough power and should be able to haul anything I might need to.
What do you get for mileage?

I was looking for a compact truck, but at 6'8", I don't fit in any of them.

I love the exterior of the 2003-2007 silverados, but detest the interiors. Although at the right price, I could get over that, or at least tolerate it.

I've been contemplating a duramax, but most are brodozers nearby, and I really don't know much about diesels.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
What do you get for mileage?

I was looking for a compact truck, but at 6'8", I don't fit in any of them.

I love the exterior of the 2003-2007 silverados, but detest the interiors. Although at the right price, I could get over that, or at least tolerate it.

I've been contemplating a duramax, but most are brodozers nearby, and I really don't know much about diesels.
For mileage the DIC (driver info center) says I am getting 11 l./100 km when doing 95 kph on level highway in calm air which is pretty good. I don't know what that is in mpg, but watching the instantaneous fuel economy reading is a good reminder to not be a lead foot.

If you really don't need to tow or haul a lot then I would not recommend getting a diesel.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Ok, so about 21mpg. That's awesome, I would be thrilled with 20-21 highway. I've read the 5.3 /4.8 returns some of the best fuel mileage in the fs group, that's my biggest draw to them.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
I have a 2008 2500 4x4 with the 6.0 assigned to me as a LE patrol vehicle. It is comfortable and rides and handles good, but the ground clearance sucks for a 4x4. It gets 8-10 mpg in town and maybe 14 on the highway. 4-6 mpg towing a 25' boat. It has been reliable as far as starting and running, but the electronic crap leaves a lot to be desired. I had a $1,000.00 repair 2 months out of warranty to get the Body Control Module repaired, so that the right front turn signal would flash. It has also gone through 2 door lock actuators, at about $300.00 each. This is a common repair according to the research I did.

I don't think I would buy one with my money.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I have a 2008 2500 4x4 with the 6.0 assigned to me as a LE patrol vehicle. It is comfortable and rides and handles good, but the ground clearance sucks for a 4x4. It gets 8-10 mpg in town and maybe 14 on the highway. 4-6 mpg towing a 25' boat. It has been reliable as far as starting and running, but the electronic crap leaves a lot to be desired. I had a $1,000.00 repair 2 months out of warranty to get the Body Control Module repaired, so that the right front turn signal would flash. It has also gone through 2 door lock actuators, at about $300.00 each. This is a common repair according to the research I did.

I don't think I would buy one with my money.
Have you spent any time driving a f150 or tundra to compare this to? I have a good amount of experience driving the old body style Chevys at an old job, it seemed like anything electric was iffy at best... I didn't realize this trait stayed with the new body style.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Whos got one? What is general consensus with these versus the ford and Toyota around here? Looking newest gen, 4x4 5.3l. Are they reliable?
If you like rusting chrome bumpers that dealers won't fix, random lights in the dashboard coming on, a shuddering transmission, dashboard trim falling off, and door trim/ weather shield missing from the factory, than yes, this is your truck. I'm sure I forgot something.

And Cody will be along shortly to tell me these things are normal while Cupping GM's balls.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 364
I've got a 2003 extended cab 1500 4x4 with 106k miles. 5.3l. I've run out of gas twice because the fuel gauge is wonky but that's it. It has been very reliable. It rides much nice than a friends f150 of the same vintage and carries more payload. I put some progressive helper springs on it so I could carry a pallet of wood stove pellets (2000lbs) home from the store every winter. I wouldn't do that everyday, but twice a year for the last 5 years with no problems.

I like my truck, but at 15-17 mpg, it's not my daily driver.

Eric
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,562
Here's an interesting look at the block and rotating assembly of the truck LS series engine. Hot Rod took a junkyard 5.3 that turned out to be a 4.8, ported the heads, added a nasty cam and a turbo on the stock block, pistons, rods and crank. They pulled 1200 hp at 26psi boost. It survived 60 pulls without blowing up. So, at least you know the bottom end is strong.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,062
I have a 2003 extended cab 4.8 with a shell and rack and 230,000 miles. I don't often check but I've never seen more than 17 mpg. I personally do not like the truck and this is where I learned the disadvantages of that smooth ride they all promise now - a poor ride with payload. I consider mine is best suited for grocery runs. My last Ford Ranger 4 cyl, 5 speed had more capability. There is something funky going on with the lights in the console (no PRNDL light), ABS is long gone and a curse on them for the integrated radio thing.
I bought it cheap, it has a lot of miles and drive it as minimally as possible so I don't complain much but if I had to do it again, I would look elsewhere.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,774
I have an 09 GMC xcab 1/2 ton,5.3 with 40,000 miles, other than noisey brakes (rear drums) it has been a good ride. I will admit I tend to be a little hard when using off road and when I run the highway she runs around 80 mph, mileage runs between 16-20.

Rides more like a car and not as heavy duty as some of my older trucks, locking diff and electronic 4x operation kinda nice.

5.3 has plenty of bag and hauls my enclosed trailer with ease.

2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: