User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #1
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,549
BASIC Camping Needs

Okay, so I've nrver camped with my bike. Hey, I'm 64, cut me some slack here. LOL
So I have a good tent. Eureka three person. It'll fit the bike, no problem. I have a three season bag which will live in my Moskomoto 40 duffle, no problem. I need a compressible pillow. Have sleeping pad that I think will work.
I'm planning to still eat out. But
I'm looking at a Dragonfly stove for coffee, a coffee press, obviously something to boil water in and maybe a few bags of dry camp food. Knorr etc.
I'm thinking, that's pretty much it with my folding camp chair and some fire starter cubes.
That's about it. I'm planning an overnight at a local camp site as a test run
Thinking of camping at rallies, as hotel prices in USD will kill my budget. Plus, I'll meet like minded folk.
I will be at Billings. I will be tenting. I will have cold beer and two pink flamingos in front of the tent.
Thoughts? Have I left anything out that I can't live without? I'm not hitting Death Valley solo for a week. Just ditching my Holiday Inn Express habit.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,305
I like to be comfortable,
So I spluged on my sleeping bag, mattress and i use a fleece stuff sack as a pillow.

For coffee, I use Starbucks Via, it's not as good as press coffee, but it takes a lot less stuff and mess.

For food. I go with pretty simple either parboiled rice based dishes or freeze dried stuff,

I started simple and then took notes, what worked what didn't what I like what I used what I didn't

I've been camping all of my life and I'm still adapting and changing things.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #3
skelley1
Graywolf

Oddometer: 24
Make sure you can carry water and a couple of bundles of firewood if you're going to a campground. They don't all have it available.

I use a trangia stove and yellow heet for fuel for convenient cooking if I can't use a campfire and have a solo stove with wood if I run out of the heet. Someone's sending me a collapsible titanium wood burner for a review so I'll see how that works. The trangia fits down inside the solo stove so it makes it work more efficiently than without it (and props up the pot/pan) but it's about the size of half a large nalgene bottle. The collapsible one would weigh much less and pack flat.

I also carry an inflatable mattress. It's several pounds and packs about 2x the size of my forearm but I spent too much time not getting sleep on the ground in afgh/iraq to do that anymore.

For coffee/tea, I have a GSI H2JO! filter that fits on my insulated water bottle. I replaced the water bottle top with one that has a straw (so I can drink from it without having to lift my helmet shield) and use the old lid on the filter so I can re-use my tea a few times (I drink pu erh) and then keep that all in a cup to save space.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #4
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,217
Have sleeping pad that I think will work.

Make sure your sleeping pad will work.

A good sleeping pad will make all the difference in the world.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #5
nbleak21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Wet wipes.
nbleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #6
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Think about what you want to cook.

Do you just need to boil water for coffee, oatmeal and dehydrated backpacking meals? Go with a MSR Reactor or a JetBoil. Very fast and efficient, and they pack very small.

If you really want to cook, I like my MSR Whisperlite. Much slower, less efficient and larger to pack than the previous two I mentioned, but everything from simmering to a frying pan is possible.

I pick between the two depending on the situation and the trip at hand.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #7
ZugBug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Lets assume you left stuff like flashlight (headlamp better), lighter, cordage, knife etc. off your list because they are just too obvious.
One thing I always recommend a new camper bring is a warm knit hat. Can be a lifesaver.
I don't know about Death Valley but a tarp is usually too handy to do without.
The inflatable type pink flamingo can be used as a PFD in the event of a flash flood so that is good thinking.
Rallies are great to hang with a usually fun group of like minded folks but do yourself a favor and spend a night or two away from it all. It may make you a camper for the rest of your life.
Just a couple thoughts.
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #8
Zender
Inquisitive tinkerer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
Wet wipes.
Great for cleaning your hands after fidling around with the bike.

The two most important things to me on *any* camping trip are a proper sleeping bag (typically filled with down), and a proper and rediculessly comfortable sleeping mat (My mat of choice is an "exped") Everything else is optional.
Zender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #9
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
The instant coffees I have tried suck. The Star Bucks may be good for instant, but is it worth $1 a cup? I drink Folgers at home, and found that their coffee bags make a cup of coffee that is pretty close to their automatic drip coffee, and there is no mess to clean up.

theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #10
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,327
Looks like you have most stuff covered. Make sure your bag and pad work for you.

If camping i recommend a little hatchet, and an led headlamp.

This for making hot water.. 6 bucks..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #11
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley1 View Post
Make sure you can carry water and a couple of bundles of firewood if you're going to a campground.
If you plan to strap down and carry firewood on the bike, make sure you have a good tarp or something to protect your seat/bags/whatever. You'd be surprised how much damage wood can do to your bike on a mile ride back to your campsite.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #12
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post

This for making hot water.. 6 bucks..

+1. I bought three of these. One never worked. Other two have worked for a couple of years with no problems heating up water or even canned foods. And as of today, it's a shade over five bucks HERE.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #13
Bucket1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I've been camping all of my life and I'm still adapting and changing things.
+1
It's an evolution thing that never stops, no matter how many times you do it
Night comfort rules over food & you make compromise to get to the best of it. As age starts to defeat us all, you will understand that the comfort thing has priority.
Spend your hard earned $ on the good stuff 1st time around !

'09 R1200GSA amongst others
Bucket1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #14
AbqDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
It's easy to run out of space on the bike, and to forget room for food and water. You might need to be able to carry in 3 liters of water depending on where you're camping.

Also, there's merit in keeping your packing system simple. Farting around with the bike is not as good as getting on down the road.

I would think about a tent that packs down smaller.

Pack your clothes in a stuff sack and use that sack as a pillow.

It can get surprisingly cold out in the desert at night, or up in passes in bad weather. Think about bringing a light base layer, a cap, and at least one pair of merino socks. For layering and to wear at night.

I would agree, the sleeping pad is critical. Doesn't have to be elaborate, especially in the summer, so one of the thermarest backpacking pads that packs down real small could be a winner.

Shave Secret oil helps you maintain grooming standards without using much (if any) water.

Think about bringing two sets of stakes, one for sandy soil and one for rocky soil. It gets windy. (Which is why I like my solo tent, very low profile, hard for the wind to get up under it.)

A "tactical light" can be used for self-defense as well as light.

Hate to be a wuss about it, but a chair sure is nice for socializing around the fire. I would rather ditch the tent and carry a bivy than leave the chair at home. Especially at my age.

Definitely bring a decent stove, even if you're just boiling water. That's key.

You need some system for charging your cell phone. You can get a USB port that plugs into your trickle charger cord, or bring one of those mini-capacitors they use for jump-starting.
AbqDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #15
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,549
Hadn't thought of hauling fire wood. I have a large canvas tote. Ugly. But it'll pack flat, and I can strap it to my bike with enough wood for an evening. Good catch. I'm just planning coffee. Anything more I'll go out for. You know. Civilized old guy fashion. I've looked at Jetboils. Slick.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote