Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
syntec4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Tripods, whats the current thinking.

Hi all,

I've searched but there are only a few older threads that I found.

I'm getting into landscape, filters, long exposure stuff. I use a D600. I have a Lowepro camera backpack. I like to go places on the bike (St1300) and then walk etc with the kit to get pictures. I want a tripod that is sturdy enough for longish exposures (usually wide ish glass) but is probably 4 section so it's short when folded (for space on the bike and when carrying) and probably carbon for weight. My backpack has the strap section on the back/outside to lash the tripod to. This will be my first tripod but I want it long term and would like to get it right so willing to spend a bit. I will also need a head as well. Oh I'm 6ft tall so would like to be able to use the viewfinder without stooping down all the time.

What's the current thinking? I know there are some serious Photogs on here that can advise. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
+1

I'm in exactly the same spot. I've got no answers, but I've got virtually the same questions & anxious to see what sort of replies you get. I'm especially looking for some thing that folds to <18 inches. Weight is less a concern than length for me.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thumb I'm no expert

I've got a Velbon Sherpa 600R, doesn't quite come under your requirements, it's 24" packed or 21" if you split the camera mount from the tripod, but it is very versatile and with the additional battery pack my 600D view finder is 68".
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
SimonThomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Ive got this one for travel http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_tripod.html and it cant be beat for the size it folds up to and then extends too plus has a high load ;)
-54.5" Maximum Height
-Folds Down to 11.8"
-13.2 lb Load Capacity
-Weighs Just 1.5 lb

Holds my gripped D700 no problem
SimonThomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
erda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Interesting article. All depends on your needs ( and wallet )!

http://bythom.com/support.htm

Previous rides: 2009 V-Strom 650SEA; 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex
erda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntec4 View Post
Hi all,

(snip) This will be my first tripod but I want it long term and would like to get it right so willing to spend a bit. I will also need a head as well. Oh I'm 6ft tall so would like to be able to use the viewfinder without stooping down all the time. What's the current thinking? I know there are some serious Photogs on here that can advise. Thank you!

I use Gitzo GT2331 and Markin M10 ball head. I've been using them for three years now. The GT2331 is a 3 sections alumunium tripod, it's light and sturdy. It has max load capacity of 9 kg, and good for up to 300 mm lens. My longest lens was a 400 mm and had no stability problem when used with the tripod... however when I use a tripod I usually used my 35 f/2 Distagon prime lens which is a short lens and not heavy.

You may want to get a tripod with a center column, I'd recommend one with a removable center column. My Gitzo has one. The tripod's height is only 130cm, but with the center column extended I think you can use it without having to stoop. I do not use the center column though, and I always leave the center column at home, for more stability and to save some weight.

Another thing that I like about the Gitzo is, with the center column removed, the legs can be spread really wide so you can have the camera at a really low position, really close to the ground.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Tripods

Got a Manfrotto 190XPROB with my Nikon D3 (24mm, 50mm, and 70-200mm). Got into nighttime photography and exposure shots.

Wouldn't say its a lightweight tripod, but works well for most cases.

I think you have to look for stability when searching for a tripod (figuring thats why you're purchasing one). Don't waste your money on a flimsy one. Hate to carry the heavier tripods, but worth it once you start taking photos.

I ended up having to borrow my friends even heavier duty tripod when I went playing with a larger lens.

Good luck on your search
Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
DJSponge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I would look at both Benro and Sirui. I have one of each, and they are very good bang for buck brands. IMO
DJSponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I bought a mono pod last year and since then my tripod has stayed in the closet.
Smoke Eater 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,917
Surui T-025X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonThomas View Post
Ive got this one for travel http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_tripod.html and it cant be beat for the size it folds up to and then extends too plus has a high load ;)
-54.5" Maximum Height
-Folds Down to 11.8"
-13.2 lb Load Capacity
-Weighs Just 1.5 lb

Holds my gripped D700 no problem
Here is a review of that tripod and comparison to similar units. http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/...roduction.html
I bought one based on this review and I am happy with it but I have a relatively small light camera (Pentax K-30 with 18-135 mm lens). It would be nice if it was a bit taller when extended, but then it would not be small enough to actually carry with me in the camera bag instead of leaving at home.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
grizzlyman87
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Anyone tried the gorilla pod? It looks handy.
grizzlyman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
SimonThomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
Here is a review of that tripod and comparison to similar units. http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/...roduction.html
I bought one based on this review and I am happy with it but I have a relatively small light camera (Pentax K-30 with 18-135 mm lens). It would be nice if it was a bit taller when extended, but then it would not be small enough to actually carry with me in the camera bag instead of leaving at home.
Yes great review, Im a member on that forum and have been recommending the sirui to members over there for years, everyone love's it
SimonThomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
New englander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyman87 View Post
Anyone tried the gorilla pod? It looks handy.
I've got the slr-zoom gorilla pod and it is a great tripod. Pretty stable, but there is a little shake with a 300mm and a breeze. But for an everyday tripod it's great, packs small and you can turn pretty much anything into a stable shooting platform
New englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,077
Look up really right stuff expensive but worth it.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
HD Steve
Nonposer in Training

Oddometer: 94
really right stuff.

The end.
HD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote