Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #136
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
I have the G4 power set... and my friends' has a speaker that goes out... then back... THEN, my unit began it too.

A am just about FED UP with this Scala product... WAY to much $$$ for edsel like performance.

I am thinking the Sena product may be a better system.

Tons of Sena folks saying the same thing about their bluetooths.. .and hoping the Scala is better
Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #137
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Tons of Sena folks saying the same thing about their bluetooths.. .and hoping the Scala is better
We just switched from SENA to G4
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #138
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Yes, that is probably true! And "proving" that all those devices are pretty much about on the same level on the ladder of development towards a perfect product. Maybe one more advanced on "this" and the other on "that". It is just where your priorities are to match best. But they all are a long way from perfect. Or even do what they are advertised to do.
Would I be a manufacturer, I would for sure try to get into contact with as much users as possible to hear what needed to be improved.
Where the Cardo may have its nose upfront with regards to range (double as that of the Sena), the Sena seems to have its nose upfront with regards to user friendlyness (the round button). Since I do not care for range (use it with passenger only) I could have better bought the Sena, but I bought the Cardo g4 instead. Hmm.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #139
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
So far I'm happy with the G4, the only thing I wish it would have is more volume. I wear earplugs and when moving is hard to hear the music, phone, etc. but I have a "boostaroo" that helps out.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #140
Cambion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
So far I'm happy with the G4, the only thing I wish it would have is more volume. I wear earplugs and when moving is hard to hear the music, phone, etc. but I have a "boostaroo" that helps out.
If your helmet has deep ear wells make sure you put something between the shell and the speaker so that it's right up next to your ears. I have the G4 installed in my RF-1100 and had the same problem (I always wear ear plugs too) until I did this. Once the speakers are closer to your ears you should have no problem with volume. You can use just about anything as a spacer, I initially used folded tissue taped in place just to test it out with but a little bit of foam cut to size would be "prettier", not that anyone is going to see it inside your helmet.
Cambion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #141
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabucco View Post
I just bought a G4 right before embarking on a long road trip so I am learning to set it up on the fly. So far I love this unit, easy pairing, good crisp intercom and music. I do have a volume issue with my Zumo 660 though. The sound and volume of the Zumo's media player is just as I would have expected it, but the volume for the navigation instructions and the phone (relayed through the Zumo) is significantly lower than the music (I'd say only 25% of what the media player puts out). I have checked all my settings (master volume and navigation / media are all at 100%) and have cranked the volume on my G4 all the way up (Zumo seems to hand over volume control to the G4) but no dice.

Firmware on both Zumo and G4 are up to date.

Anyone know what's up with this and/or can recommend a solution?
Thanks in advance.
hey there

did you find a solution for the Zumo660 volume issue?
i am having the same problem

thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #142
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
best setting for the G4

Hi all

unless i am blind.
what are the best setups for your G4?

settings? hook ups to GPS/Phone

thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #143
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
I got a new phone... Droid 2... My question is when you are listening to music through the phone how do you initiate a voice dial? Does holding the A button that pauses the music place the phone in standby mode so that you can start the call by tapping the mobile button?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #144
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I got a new phone... Droid 2... My question is when you are listening to music through the phone how do you initiate a voice dial? Does holding the A button that pauses the music place the phone in standby mode so that you can start the call by tapping the mobile button?
with the iphone...

while music is playing, i single press the mobile button, the music will fade and stop, then i hear the tone for voice control, and i say "Dial Bill Smith mobile" The iphone will say "Dialing Bill Smith Mobile" and i hear the phone ringing.

when i am done with call, and if i hang up first, another single press on the mobile button will end the call, and the music will resume from where it stopped. If they hang up first i dont have to do anything.
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #145
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Probably not the volume problem but the G4 has seperate volume for each source. When on music turn the volume where you want and you need to do the same for navigation and phone. It is supposed to remember the settings but who knows.

I ride with ear plugs and have 58 year old hearing and have good volume.
Then again, I have the Schuberth SRC, same thing though, or so they say.

Bluetooth being a "non-standard" standard, it is what it is.

Good luck

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #146
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
The problem was that the volume for the phone was so low I could not even hear the voice prompts. It took about 6 clicks on the volume up before I could even hear it. Hopefully as stated above it remembers it.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #147
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,469
Placement

Speaker placement is critical. I first tried just putting the speakers in without adding anything behind them. I thought it was good enough and dealt with it for a while. This week I added about 1/4 in (if that) behind each speaker, damn thing is way to loud for my 41 yr old heavy metal abused ears. It really is a night and day difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
The problem was that the volume for the phone was so low I could not even hear the voice prompts. It took about 6 clicks on the volume up before I could even hear it. Hopefully as stated above it remembers it.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #148
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,460
Does anyone know if you can buy just the helmet headset sans the BT unit itself?

I have a very comfortable 3/4 helmet that I want to install the cradle unit and speakers into. This way, when I want to switch helmets, I can simply swap the BT unit and ride off.

Just wondering.
RonkoRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #149
pmfonten
Baytown, TX

Oddometer: 35
extra headset cradle

Yes, you can purchase an extra cradle to mount on a second helmet and just change the main BT unit.
I purchased mine directly from scala.
description
Audio & Microphone Kit for scala rider® G4 and G4 PowerSet Headsets (BOOM, MP3 Jack) 49.99 +tax +shipping

Cardo Systems, Inc.
http://www.cardosystems.com
(800) 488-0363
support@cardosystems.com
Old 07-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #150
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
I just got a message back from Cardo Support. Here is what they say about it. It is kind of amazing (to me at least) because it gives another perspective on things as far as I am concerned. Read this about the Vox function and the settings:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo Support
"The high setting is what you want to use for the Vox setting if you have a quiet vehicle. However the technique you use to trigger the intercom is also important to how easy or hard it is to open the connection when using only your voice to start the connection. The system is looking for a long drawn out sound, like a long "Hellllllloooooooo" that lasts for a longer time than you might feel is comfortable. Short sharp sounds that are yelled are not likely to trigger the intercom, such as yelling or screaming something like a quick "Hey!" The system is looking for a long drawn out human sounding word (it does not matter what word) in order to get its attention and for it to be able to tell the difference between you and whatever background noise there is. It normally does much better with some background noise, unless you change the settings, as you can now do on the G4."
I have now been testing this for quite some time, and I must say that the advice from Cardo is exactly right as it seems.
I have been using the "long sounds" and in every occasion it worked flawlessly, I was even able to take phone calls with voice control which I could not do before. The phone calls were of amazingly good quality and it just took one "long" sound to pick up the call. So, it seems, this is a succesfull remedy. People on the other side of the phone were not able to hear that I was driving a motorcycle at the time of the call. Speaking loudly is not necessary either, normal voice volume levels are enough to deliver a crystal clear crisp voice.

What I do think is wrong here is, that this "key procedure" is not mentioned at all in the manuals. That should be corrected immediately since users who do not know this are left with a not very well functioning vox system where that is not necessary at all since the key to good functioning is in the way you handle the system. A chapter on how to use the vox system efficiently should be added to the manual I think.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote