Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #151
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmfonten View Post
Yes, you can purchase an extra cradle to mount on a second helmet and just change the main BT unit.
I purchased mine directly from scala.
description
Audio & Microphone Kit for scala rider® G4 and G4 PowerSet Headsets (BOOM, MP3 Jack) 49.99 +tax +shipping

Cardo Systems, Inc.
http://www.cardosystems.com
(800) 488-0363
support@cardosystems.com
Thanks!
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #152
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,475
Good to hear Red. Just for simplicities sake can you document your setting here? Might save some others some time. Don't rightly remember if we settled on a setting for VOX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
I have now been testing this for quite some time, and I must say that the advice from Cardo is exactly right as it seems.
I have been using the "long sounds" and in every occasion it worked flawlessly, I was even able to take phone calls with voice control which I could not do before. The phone calls were of amazingly good quality and it just took one "long" sound to pick up the call. So, it seems, this is a succesfull remedy. People on the other side of the phone were not able to hear that I was driving a motorcycle at the time of the call. Speaking loudly is not necessary either, normal voice volume levels are enough to deliver a crystal clear crisp voice.

What I do think is wrong here is, that this "key procedure" is not mentioned at all in the manuals. That should be corrected immediately since users who do not know this are left with a not very well functioning vox system where that is not necessary at all since the key to good functioning is in the way you handle the system. A chapter on how to use the vox system efficiently should be added to the manual I think.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #153
carlt828
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I finally got a chance to check out the intercom function of the G4. The buddy that's going to CO with me next week and I went out to check out his bike before the trip. The terrain was fairly heavy south Texas mesquite brush and the trails snaked around a lot. You would usually loose visual after a turn or two. Even with our antennae on the units raised up, range wasn't close to a mile. Hard to say just how far apart we were but I'd say maybe 100-150 yards at best. The audio would start to get a little distorted and then the voice message that "rider A disconnected" would sound off. When connected though, communication was great. I think it's really going to help when we start running trails up in the mountains.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #154
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Slackin at work and can't read all150 posts so, question for the cognisenti:
Has anyone experienced the G4 turning itself off when already paired with its Powerset partner and then trying to hook up with a Zumo? MIne turned off a bunch of times on our first two-up ride with the G4s. Each time I'd try to synch to the Zumo, the G4 would shut down.

The odd thing is that this doesn't occur when I'm solo.

I just did a firmware upgrade to the latest yesterday but, haven't tried it out yet.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #155
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlt828 View Post
I finally got a chance to check out the intercom function of the G4. The buddy that's going to CO with me next week and I went out to check out his bike before the trip. The terrain was fairly heavy south Texas mesquite brush and the trails snaked around a lot. You would usually loose visual after a turn or two. Even with our antennae on the units raised up, range wasn't close to a mile. Hard to say just how far apart we were but I'd say maybe 100-150 yards at best. The audio would start to get a little distorted and then the voice message that "rider A disconnected" would sound off. When connected though, communication was great. I think it's really going to help when we start running trails up in the mountains.
Blue tooth is basically line of sight..if you can see them you can hear them is what I have found, but once out of sight quality drops quickly.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #156
carlt828
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Blue tooth is basically line of sight..if you can see them you can hear them is what I have found, but once out of sight quality drops quickly.
Good point, I'd forgotten about that.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #157
mattDC5R
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Has anybody tried the Scala 4 way set up but with 4 units on 4 bikes instead of the 2 rider/2passenger combo mentioned in the manual?

I cant see why it wouldnt work but have yet to read any solid evidence of it?

Me and 3 mates are off to italy for a couple weeks of riding and these units look almost spot on if i can confirm this one thing.
mattDC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #158
mboni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattDC5R View Post
Has anybody tried the Scala 4 way set up but with 4 units on 4 bikes instead of the 2 rider/2passenger combo mentioned in the manual?
We tried, and failed. We had a pair of G4 units and a pair of older Q2 units. We thought we could set up a 4-way as long as the G4 units were in the middle, forming the bridge. Individual pairings all worked out fine, but just initiating a 3-way conversation was almost impossible, and we were in the parking lot. It was easy enough to get two pairs to connect, but anything beyond that wasn't reproducible. We eventually stopped trying, and just rode with two pairs and the usual hand signals.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #159
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboni View Post
We tried, and failed. We had a pair of G4 units and a pair of older Q2 units. We thought we could set up a 4-way as long as the G4 units were in the middle, forming the bridge. Individual pairings all worked out fine, but just initiating a 3-way conversation was almost impossible, and we were in the parking lot. It was easy enough to get two pairs to connect, but anything beyond that wasn't reproducible. We eventually stopped trying, and just rode with two pairs and the usual hand signals.
Even though the Q2's are backwards compatible with the G4's I've ran into the same issues when trying to setup a multiple link with G4's and Q2's. My Dad has the G4 and my wife and I have the Q2's. We did a week long trip and tried to have all 3 of us linked. We did successfully link all 3 occasionally, but it was very hard to do reliably. We did later figure out it worked more reliably if we unpaired the connection between the Q2's, but even then it was still a trial in patience. It always seemed like you could get one unit to link in, but the 2nd one would never come in. And it wasn't always the same unit. Sometimes it would be my Dad & I connected fine, and other times it would be my wife and my Dad connected and I was left out in the dark. When we had the Q2's linked, If the Q2's ever connected directly, neither one would connect to the G4 after that until the G4 was powered off and then tried again. This basically meant my wife and I could never talk to each other privately since my Dad always had to be in the mix!

Quote:

I cant see why it wouldnt work but have yet to read any solid evidence of it?

Me and 3 mates are off to italy for a couple weeks of riding and these units look almost spot on if i can confirm this one thing.
Like you, I agree it should work on paper and as long as the two units that are doing the coupling are in the middle, you should be able to keep everyone in range. The couple times we did have the 3 way going and had my Dad in the middle, I was amazed at the distance my wife and I could get from each other and still talk reliably.

I would really hope that all G4's in the mix would play nicer together then having Q2's in there and I think overall they would as Cardio did some major manipulation to keep the G4's compatible with Q2's, but as the above poster, my experience with pairing more then 1 unit at once was less then promising. Maybe some others have had better luck with 3 or 4 G4 units together, but it definitely seems like there's always one stubborn unit that just won't pair. If you ever get all 4 connected, Don't disconnect them until their batteries die!

At the very least if you guys get 4 units, you most definitely can have reliable conversations in 2 pairs. And if each of you have a 2nd unit on your B side, you could probably connect to them 1 on 1. The trick of this is successfully bringing in that second radio on the B channel while A channel is already connected.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #160
mattDC5R
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the replies, it kind of seems that we will just have to take a punt on it and see if it works.

I got a reply from scala on their Facebook page saying as long as the 2 middle bikes are within 20m of each other, Basically implying that connection is done with a short range BT, I suppose the same way as a phone etc pairs. But I can't understand why if 1 unit can do 2 long range pairs at once for the 3 way chat, why 2 can't so the same simultaneously. But just gonna have to see how we go I suppose.
mattDC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #161
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, it kind of seems that we will just have to take a punt on it and see if it works.

I got a reply from scala on their Facebook page saying as long as the 2 middle bikes are within 20m of each other, Basically implying that connection is done with a short range BT, I suppose the same way as a phone etc pairs. But I can't understand why if 1 unit can do 2 long range pairs at once for the 3 way chat, why 2 can't so the same simultaneously. But just gonna have to see how we go I suppose.
That doesn't make any sense. All the radio's connect to each other via class 1 BT and with the G4's little antenna, they even push that a bit further.

The G4's are even supposed to do better then the Q2's and I can tell you when we did the 3 way with my Dad in the middle with the G4, I could tell I could even get a further distance from him then I usually could from my wife. I think you'll find distance wise, everything will be just fine. It will just be how reliably you can get all the connections to open like you want.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #162
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,096
FYI...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/cardo-scala-rider-g4

Revzilla is selling the Scala G4 for $179. No tax, free shipping!

I just ordered mine!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #163
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,062
Great deal @ revzilla!

Figure I should at least mention this in this thread - if you want your Scalas with corded mics for a more permanent helmet installation, you can buy the snowmobile powerset (which come with the corded mic helmet mount) and convert them to motorcycle versions with the app I found....

Instructions here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16451748
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #164
dutch97501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I just wanted to check back in and post up on how my G4 is doing. I got my G4 pre production almost two years ago. When I first got the G4 the bluetooth software was borderline useless. That said the ability to update the firmware has been fantastic. The latest firmware has fixed all of my bluetooth issues. I paired the headset with my Zumo 660 and then paired my Iphone to the Zumo. This allows me to see all of my phone contacts as well as caller ID. I would love to be able to say that I can talk the suggested one mile bike to bike but realistically its about 1/2 mile. I have done the ear-bud mod and yes its fantastic. I have also removed the mic boom and mounted it in my Nolan N90. I had a power button failure last week and after almost two years Cardo replaced my G4. Needless to say its been out of warranty for almost a year and they still took care of it. I wish there were more company's like Cardo. Life would be so much easier. For anyone considering buying headsets I highly recommend the Cardo Rider G4.
dutch97501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #165
rogernm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by amackenzie View Post
Hi Everyone,

Conference Calls – This is a really neat feature. If any one person in the group receives or makes a cell phone call anyone else can be paged in. So, if all 4 riders are connected and you receive a call everyone can then chat together.

-Alec

Does anyone know how to do this?

I have not been able to make it work, yet.
rogernm is offline   Reply With Quote