User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #211
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550

Warning: rant thread.....

Today, after some rest during wintertime, I decided to enjoy early spring sun and drive a nice route using my Cardo G4 Powerset. Enjoying the bike, the sun, nature, and some nice music.
So I charged the system, checked for any updates, and off I went.

After some driving I decided to try some things out. I had previously a few weeks ago installed Vlingo (very nice app!), to work with voice control controlling my Android Samsung Galaxy, using the In-car module.

Again, I got annoyed to the max with this Cardo device. Pressing buttons with your gloves on somewhere on the side of your helmet (Hack, what did I push now?), hearing all kinds of beeps, trying again, getting almost nothing done annoyed the cr@p out of me. What a tremendously bad design this device! I wished I NEVER EVER bought it.....

Although, when you get some function to work, it DOES work OK. Besides the cr@ppy FM Radio of course, which almost NEVER works and is almost ALWAYS a pain in the @ss piece of junk.
But when you get the MP3 player to work, it does work nicely. Sound quality is good enough for me to enjoy the music with the standard Cardo in-helmet speakers. It is the design I have a grunge with. How the hack am I supposed to know what to do to select one of all those functions?

Where is the button? Is it THIS one, or hey wait, this might also be it.... or was it THIS one??? Hack, let's press it and see what happens.... BEEP... silence..... grrrrrr grrrrr grrrr OK that was not it. Let's try another microscopic small button then.... it must be here...... BEEP BEEP... what did I do now???? No result.....
Hey, now I have it (2 km's further down the road....) THIS is the button!! Now what? Push it once, twice, or hold it for more then 3 seconds, or hold it even longer? I can't remember what the damned instructions said... now what.... (in between driving around like with your left glove glued to the helmet!).
OK then, let us stop besides the road and try there before I end up under a truck or against a tree. Even with the helmet off I did not get the Vlingo app to work this time. It DID work at home. So, in the end, I pushed the MP3 button and listened to the music of the Samsung Galaxy phone's mp3 player. Checked if it worked OK and put on the helmet again. Time to drive back home. During the way back home whilst the mp3 player was doing it's job, I tried to switch between a couple of Cardo g4 functions (which I better should not have done!) and failed in what I tried to achieve until the steam was comming out from under my helmet.

This design really s*cks big time to me. I wished the G4 would have a remote control with a touchscreen monitor so you could actually SEE what you are doing instead of fiddling around on the side of your helmet guessing if you are above SOMETHING to push, not knowing what it is or even if it actually IS a button....

Apparently, this technology is not for me. Instead of helping me out and improving my total driving experience, it does ruin it for me. And I do understand it might improve on using it more. But I already own this device for more then a year, and nothing has improved to me.

I warned you, it was a rant. But after putting up with this thing for so long I think I deserved it.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #212
randy quad
n00b

Oddometer: 7
We have been using the Scala G4s for close to a year now. We have even purchased a third for the guests that go quadding with us. On our first outing we brought along the manual and used that to get ourselves acquainted with the different button presses. After that first outing, we have never had to access the manual again. And we always wear gloves too.

There is a bit of logic to the button layout and presses, and it seems to have made sense to us. Just using the units for a bit kinda gets you thinking along that logic path. (at least for us). I wish I knew of a method to share with you that makes the controls easier to learn, but i do not.

That being said, I certainly agree with you on the uselessness of the radio. We ride on trails in the desert, and poor reception on the radio makes it useless. Cardo should not even advertise that as a function in my opinion. But everything else works like a charm for us, and we are very happy with the units. My teenage niece is the only one of our riders that complains about the lack of radio. I am actually shopping for a fourth unit now, since they are such a hit with the guests that ride with us.

randy
randy quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #213
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team OGR View Post
If its an Android phone, and running Android 2.2 or later, you can do selective pairing and tell it only to sync with the phone BT connection leaving the A2DP open for music from another device. If its a non smart phone, then no problem at all, it will only sync with the phone bt profile anyways. So basically, yes, that leaves the media BT Stereo profile open for a dongle connected to your Sat radio.

-------------

That's great. So I have an Samsung Fascinate which runs Android 2.3.5. I have looked everywhere on the phone but I can't find where you can tell it to pair it with the BT connection only. Any ideas?

Keith
Once you pair something, then go to your BT connection list, select that device and hold it down until "options" appear. You'll see a checkbox for phone and media. If you only want the phone to connect, uncheck the box for media and it won't connect to that device with the media (A2DP) profile.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #214
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
I can feel the love for the Cardio device from here!

So you want to sell it cheap? LOL

The buttons aren't exactly the best, but I don't think its as difficult to master as you make it sound. If you use the device pretty regularly, it becomes 2nd nature. Heck, my Dad is the one that owns the G4 and I can work his just fine. For most things like pressing the A button for intercom or the volume up/volume down, its pretty straight forward. I've played around with so many of the headsets, they all pretty much do the same thing. Yea, the FM radio is useless and a pain to work. Heck it was useless on the early FM & Q2 models and is still useless on the G4 models. Hopefully Scala finds something more useful on the G9 models and leaves it off. A micro SD card slot to play MP3's would be a lot more worthwhile.

In all honesty, it sounds like you might be better off checking out the Sena with the jog dial. Its definitely a lot more glove friendly and you aren't trying to find the smaller buttons on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post

Warning: rant thread.....

Today, after some rest during wintertime, I decided to enjoy early spring sun and drive a nice route using my Cardo G4 Powerset. Enjoying the bike, the sun, nature, and some nice music.
So I charged the system, checked for any updates, and off I went.

After some driving I decided to try some things out. I had previously a few weeks ago installed Vlingo (very nice app!), to work with voice control controlling my Android Samsung Galaxy, using the In-car module.

Again, I got annoyed to the max with this Cardo device. Pressing buttons with your gloves on somewhere on the side of your helmet (Hack, what did I push now?), hearing all kinds of beeps, trying again, getting almost nothing done annoyed the cr@p out of me. What a tremendously bad design this device! I wished I NEVER EVER bought it.....

Although, when you get some function to work, it DOES work OK. Besides the cr@ppy FM Radio of course, which almost NEVER works and is almost ALWAYS a pain in the @ss piece of junk.
But when you get the MP3 player to work, it does work nicely. Sound quality is good enough for me to enjoy the music with the standard Cardo in-helmet speakers. It is the design I have a grunge with. How the hack am I supposed to know what to do to select one of all those functions?

Where is the button? Is it THIS one, or hey wait, this might also be it.... or was it THIS one??? Hack, let's press it and see what happens.... BEEP... silence..... grrrrrr grrrrr grrrr OK that was not it. Let's try another microscopic small button then.... it must be here...... BEEP BEEP... what did I do now???? No result.....
Hey, now I have it (2 km's further down the road....) THIS is the button!! Now what? Push it once, twice, or hold it for more then 3 seconds, or hold it even longer? I can't remember what the damned instructions said... now what.... (in between driving around like with your left glove glued to the helmet!).
OK then, let us stop besides the road and try there before I end up under a truck or against a tree. Even with the helmet off I did not get the Vlingo app to work this time. It DID work at home. So, in the end, I pushed the MP3 button and listened to the music of the Samsung Galaxy phone's mp3 player. Checked if it worked OK and put on the helmet again. Time to drive back home. During the way back home whilst the mp3 player was doing it's job, I tried to switch between a couple of Cardo g4 functions (which I better should not have done!) and failed in what I tried to achieve until the steam was comming out from under my helmet.

This design really s*cks big time to me. I wished the G4 would have a remote control with a touchscreen monitor so you could actually SEE what you are doing instead of fiddling around on the side of your helmet guessing if you are above SOMETHING to push, not knowing what it is or even if it actually IS a button....

Apparently, this technology is not for me. Instead of helping me out and improving my total driving experience, it does ruin it for me. And I do understand it might improve on using it more. But I already own this device for more then a year, and nothing has improved to me.

I warned you, it was a rant. But after putting up with this thing for so long I think I deserved it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #215
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

So now we have the Cardo Scala Rider G9 as a direct successor to the G4 series. Which makes me wonder...

Because it is always sold to the customer that having the option to update software on a device is such a wonderfull extra. However, when you look back at the moment you are upgrading to a new, other, device and ask yourself how many times you actually had any benefit from such updating, my experience is that it is always disappointing!

How many updates did we have on the G4? 2 or 3? Minor improvements only?

What will happen now that we have the G9. Will the software on the G4 be developed any further? Or will Cardo focus on the G9 from now and will software updates to the G4 stop? The experience with other systems where you can update lead me to believe the latter will be true. I do not see any more updates coming to the G4. Do you? Instead, Cardo will possibly rather see you upgrading your device to the G9? Or am I too negative here ?

If so, then it is only because I have purchased too many computers or other electronic devices 'Ready for...." or "updatable" which have never ever brought what that function suggested: a lively enhancement of the product by a vast number of steady coming updates.... easily installable in your device. It never happens....

I did see that you can purchase an upgrade to the base of your G4 to the base of the G9 which will bring you a smaller and better functioning mike, and better speakers they say. But it does nothing with the functionality I guess?

What would be great would be a real upgrading policy where you can trade in your G4 for a fixed price and receive a G9.
I believe Sena did that?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #216
chris98vf
XL Enthusiast

Oddometer: 94
Has anyone opened their G4 up at all? I'm curious if the battery is replaceable (even though it's not according to the mfg)
It shouldn't be hard to put a new battery in if you know what to order. It's probably just a couple of rechargeable button style batteries soldered together.

I made the mistake of buying mine new on eBay therefor voiding any warranty I thought I was getting. One of the headsets will stop working until the battery drains and then it will work after a full charge. If the battery isn't soldered onto the board it might be easy to just open it up and disconnect and reconnect. I would like to see a view of the inside before I just start taking it apart.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #217
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98vf View Post
Has anyone opened their G4 up at all? I'm curious if the battery is replaceable (even though it's not according to the mfg)
It shouldn't be hard to put a new battery in if you know what to order. It's probably just a couple of rechargeable button style batteries soldered together.

I made the mistake of buying mine new on eBay therefor voiding any warranty I thought I was getting. One of the headsets will stop working until the battery drains and then it will work after a full charge. If the battery isn't soldered onto the board it might be easy to just open it up and disconnect and reconnect. I would like to see a view of the inside before I just start taking it apart.

I would say opening your G4 (under normal garantuee situations) is not a thing one would easily do since it will most probably void your guarantee. If you do not have any guarantee to begin with, I do not see the point why YOU shouldn't if you think you can repair the thing yourself by replacing a battery. However, did you already contact Cardo customer support to explain the situation and give them at least a chance to do good? Who knows what kind of repair-offer they will come up with that might suit you much better then breaking the G4 open?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #218
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Just looked it up, the last update was: version 3.0 March 2011. It is now april 2012. So over a period longer then a year no update. Nothing to improve? Or? We buy the option to update, but it is nothing more then a hoax, or?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #219
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
Quote:
Just looked it up, the last update was: version 3.0 March 2011. It is now april 2012. So over a period longer then a year no update. Nothing to improve? Or? We buy the option to update, but it is nothing more then a hoax, or?
What have you asked them to improve?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #220
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
What have you asked them to improve?
In fact, I have on two occasions asked them to improve various things, for instance the responsiveness of their vox circuit, which keeps on giving difficulties, and the option to use a remote control for their unit as well as a better performance of the fm radio and a few other small stuff. But I suspect you are trying to say the device is perfect as it is? If so, then why did they create the G9? Of course, that is nonsense. But if you like to be trapped in a commercial trap, be my guest. I personally do not like that very much. They sell you an option to receive updates, and then create none over a year's time.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #221
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In fact, I have on two occasions asked them to improve various things, for instance the responsiveness of their vox circuit, which keeps on giving difficulties, and the option to use a remote control for their unit as well as a better performance of the fm radio and a few other small stuff. But I suspect you are trying to say the device is perfect as it is? If so, then why did they create the G9? Of course, that is nonsense. But if you like to be trapped in a commercial trap, be my guest. I personally do not like that very much. They sell you an option to receive updates, and then create none over a year's time.
No I was just curious if you had asked them to improve/add something via a software update and what their response was. I know folks complained about the buttons being hard to work with gloves on and that is probably why they made the buttons bigger on the G9. I think the performance of the FM radio has more to do with hardware than software. I also would like to see a smart phone app to be able to check/change settings.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #222
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

I am still having difficulties to "get it" with the G4. But that is probably me. I own the set for over a year and still am in complete dark on what to press how many times when driving. When at home it totally makes sense, but on the road it is all blurred. It just doesn't work for me the design of operation of this device. I am glad they now started with vox control on the G9 although that is a huge word for so little functionality, just start/stop things. I would have liked a complete vox control so that you do not have to press anything but only say: "music on", "play Simplyred", "Track up", "Volume up", "Intercom driver B". Or sequences like that. Now it is rather limited on the G9. Looks nice in commercials, but in daily practice? I guess you will still have to fiddle around on the side of the helmet and press buttons once, twice, for 3 seconds, for 6 seconds, two buttons at the same time or what not. Sigh. I guess I am a dumb ass

Simplyred screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 11:48 AM
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #223
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
A little help?

I bought a scala g4 powerset off of an inmate several months ago - it was complete and in full working order however... the serial number card was not included.

I would like to do the software update - can one of you send me the downloaded file so that I can flash upgrade my powerset?

PM/email me if you can help. Thanks in advance.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #224
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowaystx View Post
I bought a scala g4 powerset off of an inmate several months ago - it was complete and in full working order however... the serial number card was not included.

I would like to do the software update - can one of you send me the downloaded file so that I can flash upgrade my powerset?

PM/email me if you can help. Thanks in advance.

Is the serial number on the back of the unit ?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #225
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Not as far as I can tell. The website states its on the included warranty card.

Emailed them twice to see if there is some other way to get it, and to throw myself at their mercy - no response.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote