Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #91
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
The simple solution is to run in "open microphone" all the time and not wait for VOX to activate. Just turn on Channel Button Connect (as it's called in the manual). Basically rather than having the system set on "when I yell into the mic, notice that and activate the system" it's set on "both of us have the mics active at all times". So there's no delay waiting for it to "hear" your voice and activate, it's like an open phone line where anyone can speak at any time. Even when no one is speaking (meaning if your buddy is breathing heavy because he's working hard riding the bike over some whoops, you're gonna hear it). But, on the good side, when one of you talks, no waiting and screaming until the fucking thing "wakes up" and realizes you're trying to say something.

Batteries last all day even if you're on Channel Button Connect (open mike) all day long.

Works for us.

Thanks ADW for your response. I had to laugh reading your post because I recognize the frustration in the part where you "scream until the fucking thing "wakes up"!
On holiday a few weeks ago there MUST have been several wondering Germans looking at two out-loud screaming tourists on a scooter..... because that was exactly what was happening!

But on a more serious note: I understand what you are suggesting, and we most of the time do so during short rides where you can not be bothered to play some music anyway. And that works for us too.

But on longer drives, I would rather hear some music in between, and that is exactly the situation in which the vox actually NEEDS to work in order to get the other on the intercom and stop the music?

Anyway, is it not strange that you buy a product just because of the long list of features, and then decide to not use them since this works better?

May I not expect from the manufacturer that his shit works as advertised and that he does a better job???
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #92
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Why? I am trying to choose.
Let me tell you why:

because on the G4 there is a truckload of buttons all on the side of your helmet where your eyes fail to see them, and in order to operate them you need to fiddle around with your glove on on the side of your helmet where you sometimes need to push button A once, or twice or hold it whilst pushing it or whatever....

The G4 is said to do almost everything, but it is sucking up your attention on the road trying to get things to work, and sometimes it takes a really long pushing and swearing session to GET it to work anyway.

It is an annoying piece of equipment. That is what it is.

The Sena SEEMS (I have NO experience with it!!) much more intuitive: turn the knob and push it. Seems ideal.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #93
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
A quick search and it LOOKS like it is potentially possible...depends on a lot of circumstances though. Mostly what kinda bluetooth is implemented in the G4.

Hopefully someone more versed in bluetooth tech or droid app development can chime in on this idea and let us know if its feasible or not.
I have send an email to management of Cardo as well with the tip to either develop some kind of remote control lcd touch screen OR a nice smart app that connects through bluetooth. One can not do more besides developing it yourself which is nonsense of course.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #94
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
Thanks ADW for your response. I had to laugh reading your post because I recognize the frustration in the part where you "scream until the fucking thing "wakes up"!
On holiday a few weeks ago there MUST have been several wondering Germans looking at two out-loud screaming tourists on a scooter..... because that was exactly what was happening!

But on a more serious note: I understand what you are suggesting, and we most of the time do so during short rides where you can not be bothered to play some music anyway. And that works for us too.

But on longer drives, I would rather hear some music in between, and that is exactly the situation in which the vox actually NEEDS to work in order to get the other on the intercom and stop the music?

Anyway, is it not strange that you buy a product just because of the long list of features, and then decide to not use them since this works better?

May I not expect from the manufacturer that his shit works as advertised and that he does a better job???

Can't disagree that I'd like the VOX to work better.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #95
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Why? I am trying to choose.
I simply suggest looking / comparing the Sena. From what I have read on ADV, the Sena appears to have a hand up on Scala. I cant really say since I have no experience with Sena product.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #96
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:

i think you have set your vox sensitivity the wrong way..... before the 3.0 update, i had to scream, after 3.0 and adjusting the vox settings, i no longer have to yell.
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #97
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isorg View Post
i think you have set your vox sensitivity the wrong way..... before the 3.0 update, i had to scream, after 3.0 and adjusting the vox settings, i no longer have to yell.
Can you enlighten this a bit more? How was your setting before the update (low, mediate, high?) and how was it after the update?
I have it on "high" which as far as I know means that the responsiveness to sound is the highest meaning it activates at the smallest soundlevel??
Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #98
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Can you enlighten this a bit more? How was your setting before the update (low, mediate, high?) and how was it after the update?
I have it on "high" which as far as I know means that the responsiveness to sound is the highest meaning it activates at the smallest soundlevel??
let me go get mine and take a look... but i am sure mine is set t low... one sec.

and looks like your right, mine is set to high too.

how loud is your bike? you using a fullface?
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #99
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isorg View Post
let me go get mine and take a look... but i am sure mine is set t low... one sec.

and looks like your right, mine is set to high too.

how loud is your bike? you using a fullface?
Well, I have a motorscooter, so it is not loud (only 250cc's there) and yes, I have a full face integral helmet.
One thing I noticed though, is that with the wind-hood on the mike, it is pretty easy to have the mike turned the wrong way inside. Because there is no mark on the mike what side needs to be to the front (like the Sena has).
So I always make sure by looking under the wind-hood and check.
So it can not be that as well.
It is just that the vox does not work well I guess. Can't see it any other way.... you?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #100
hammerhoot
dual season rider

Oddometer: 98
what the hell are we doing wrong?

We have 3 g-4's and I can pair 2 of them up but not 3. Tell me what the hell we are doing wrong, we have literally spent hours trying to fix this but can't. here's what we have doe so far;

1 - riders 1 and 2, hold down "A" button for six seconds, and then the blue light on side of unit flashes red.

2 - wait and talk into microphones until units 1 and 2 link up. sometimes it links quickly, sometimes it seems like it takes forever! (is it required that you talk into units to help them pair up?) Light on sides blinks blue after units pair up.

3 - riders 1 and 3 pair up on the "B" channel, hold "B" buttons down for 6 seconds and wait for them to pair.

Here's where we get stuck, it seems like riders 1 and 3 never pair, and if they did, do riders 1 and 3 have to both tap the "A" button to let rider 2 join in? Or do we just leave it alone? Please help!!

Faster Horses

Younger Women

Older Whiskey

And More Money!
hammerhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #101
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhoot View Post
We have 3 g-4's and I can pair 2 of them up but not 3. Tell me what the hell we are doing wrong, we have literally spent hours trying to fix this but can't. here's what we have doe so far;

1 - riders 1 and 2, hold down "A" button for six seconds, and then the blue light on side of unit flashes red.

2 - wait and talk into microphones until units 1 and 2 link up. sometimes it links quickly, sometimes it seems like it takes forever! (is it required that you talk into units to help them pair up?) Light on sides blinks blue after units pair up.

3 - riders 1 and 3 pair up on the "B" channel, hold "B" buttons down for 6 seconds and wait for them to pair.

Here's where we get stuck, it seems like riders 1 and 3 never pair, and if they did, do riders 1 and 3 have to both tap the "A" button to let rider 2 join in? Or do we just leave it alone? Please help!!
Yeah... well.... I am sort of frustrated by this product myself, so I am not sure I can be of much help but I am willing to try anyway hoping it may help somewhat:

In the manual a special chapter is dedicated to pairing one G4 with 2 other G4 units. In my (Dutch) manual this is chapter 9.10b

First: you need to understand the setup.

There are 3 drivers, all using G4's: riders A, B and C.
In the example of the manual, rider B is "the middleman".
Rider B is the only driver linked to both riders A and C, which means he uses one channel for rider A and one channel for rider B. In this setup, there is no channel left for rider B to use for a mobile phone (since bluetooth only has 2 channels), so he can not use one.
Rider A and C however CAN use a mobile phone besides their connection to B. So this is the setup. In your own situation, create an equal setup.

1) Power up the G4's of riders B and C by clicking the mobile phone button (middle on top) until the blue light flashes three times. Both G4's are now ON.

2) No press on BOTH B and C G4 the Channel B button until the blue lights start to blink faster which should mean they are both ready for pairing up.

3) Now switch on the G4 of rider A (which is one of the G4's of the power set) and wait until he connects to his factory mate of the powerset (paired in the factory). So just put it ON and wait for it to connect to his pal.
His pal is G4 rider B. Should this not happen, then push the Channel A button and force the connection between A and B.

You now should have a 3 rider setup working.

So you need to pay attention to the setup you have chosen. Who is rider A and B and who is rider C does matter since you have a powerset involved who are factory paired. I advise you to match your situation to the situation as described above, which should work.

Let us know if it worked out.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #102
hammerhoot
dual season rider

Oddometer: 98
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

so does my post sound like it would work with 3 units? I first pair 2 units on chanell "A", and then riders 1 and 3 on channel "B" and I'm good to go? Again, once I pair units 1 and 3 on chanell "B", do i then need to tap button "A" or do I just leave them alone? When they work they are great, but very frustrating to get them to work

Faster Horses

Younger Women

Older Whiskey

And More Money!
hammerhoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #103
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Battery life: no intercom, but music all day?

Hi;
I'm planning my first SaddleSore 1000 to get my IBA pin in 2 weeks. I'll be riding from Northville, Michigan to Chester, Georgia to visit a friend. Google maps shows it to be almost exactly 1000 miles (by way of Asheville, NC) and I expect to be on the road from 5 am to 11 pm. I'll be using the G4 to connect to my iPhone 4 for music and nav all the way.

I won't be using the intercom at all, unless I happen to bump into another G4 guy who wants to try the "push to link".

I am wiring up a micro-USB power cord to my GS to enable charging during meal stops. These can't be too long (clock will be ticking), so I'm not sure how much good they will do.

Any bets on whether I'll make it the entire way with this strategy?
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #104
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Hi;
I'm planning my first SaddleSore 1000 to get my IBA pin in 2 weeks. I'll be riding from Northville, Michigan to Chester, Georgia to visit a friend. Google maps shows it to be almost exactly 1000 miles (by way of Asheville, NC) and I expect to be on the road from 5 am to 11 pm. I'll be using the G4 to connect to my iPhone 4 for music and nav all the way.

I won't be using the intercom at all, unless I happen to bump into another G4 guy who wants to try the "push to link".

I am wiring up a micro-USB power cord to my GS to enable charging during meal stops. These can't be too long (clock will be ticking), so I'm not sure how much good they will do.

Any bets on whether I'll make it the entire way with this strategy?
I completed a SS1000 myself recently with a G4 connected to my Zumo 660 for directions/music. My total time was 21:10 at my one meal stop and the one rest stop I charged it for 30 minutes & 45 minutes respectively. I also charged it for 1.5 hours or so between a set of fuel stops. The wind was really nasty in Western Kansas and I could hardly hear the music anyways so it was no big deal to be without it for that time.

With this I did not have any issues with the battery of the G4.

Good luck and ride safe.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #105
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhoot View Post
so does my post sound like it would work with 3 units? I first pair 2 units on chanell "A", and then riders 1 and 3 on channel "B" and I'm good to go? Again, once I pair units 1 and 3 on chanell "B", do i then need to tap button "A" or do I just leave them alone? When they work they are great, but very frustrating to get them to work
I know it is frustrating. I know it from first hand. Get over it or throw the thing in the bin.

If you thought to have bought something that worked intuitively without any kind of learning curve, you thought wrong and bought the wrong thing..... this simply will take time for you to get a grip on.
If you are not willing to invest that time, then get rid of the G4 at first possibility.

I have told you exactly how it works. It seems however, that in stead of trying to grasp the idea and technique behind it you rather ask new questions. It just does not seem you have even started to follow the instructions. You need to. So really and without trying to be a smart ass, just not being able to help you in person since there are thousands of kilometers between us, the best advice I can give you is:

You need to wait to a new day arrives, and frustration has gone.
Then grab a cup of coffee and ask a good friend to come over and help.
Follow the instructions exactly as stated in my last post. That should work. Do not try to change the configuration as to who is rider a or 1 or who is rider b or 2. Just follow the system as explained.
You can change things later once you grasp the idea behind the connection.

Remember: bluetooth is not designed for anything else then a connection between just two devices! You can not blame the G4 for that, it simply is how bluetooth works. For any type of device, and for any brand.
So in order to make a connection between 3 drivers work, they need to "tweak" things a little bit. You ought to be glad it even works between more then 2 drivers even if it is not intuitive and rather frustrating (which it is, I know). Do yourself a favor: exactly follow procedure and the steps explained in the post above. Then see that it works, understand the system, and change things to your liking.....