Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,788
An Adventure is like a Box of Chawklit, Ya Never Know What You're Gonna Git!

Early this week I decided I needed to go for a ride this weekend The weather forecast looked great so I put a post in the KLR Forum. Didn't get much response. Then I had a pretty crappy week. I was feeling pretty worn out. No problem. I needed to go for an easy relaxing ride so I could just decompress and ponder the meaning of life.......

Then some other riders decided to join me, from this and the KLR forum.......or maybe not

I'm not sure who will be joining me but I do know I'm going for a ride tomorrow

Like that box of chocolate, I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see what I'm gonna get It's all part of the adventure

I'll be sure to take lots of pics and let you know.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Get that box opened and let her rip

Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Opening the box early

I didn't have to wait till tomorrow's ride for a little "adventure" Yesterday I got a PM from Wanderboy. We live in the same city and he was wondering where I lived. We exchanged a few PMs and decided to meet downtown Atlanta for dinner. We met at the Vortex. I had never been there before but it turns out it's a favorite hangout for a few "Real Adventure Riders" I Managed to take their pics:

These guys were tough! No ATGATT for these guys

Don't want to leave out the sportbike crowd:

Old 08-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's a small adventure world

So Why did Wanderboy PM me?? It turns out we both enjoy reading iDave reports and we both posted in his latest. Wanderboy noticed my post and my location.
My wife and I met Larry (wanderboy) and his friend Jeremy and had a great dinner. The food was great but the conversation was better. It was nice meeting someone who also enjoys reading ride reports like I do.

After dinner it was time for a few pics before heading home.

I took the first pic. I wanted to get Larry's gorgeous Road King in the picture:

Then My wife thought I should get in the pic so she took one. She'll never make an ADV photographer. She missed the most important part of the pic.

She only got half of the Road King

Larry, Jeremy, nice meeting you guys

Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
wanderboy
I just wanna ride,ride

Oddometer: 138
Laugh New Friends

Yep, that's what happened !! It certainly was good to meet you and your charming wife!! Like you said, "you never know what you're gonna git". Well I can tell you one thing we got and that was "WET". After we left you guys and just crossed the slab, it rained on us almost all the way home. I say almost because it didn't rain a drop at my house. Soooo.... the the evening ended with a little good, meeting ya'll, and a little bad ,rain. You never know what your gonna git. Thanks for taking the time . hope to hear from you soon.
wanderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

As is often the case when I'm going for a ride, I wake up way to early. I could turn on the tube and watch some meaningless drivel....................or I could log in here and post some meaningless drivel
Well, I hope it's not meaningless drivel........We'll see.
I have a confession to make, I'm a ride report addict. There is so much great stuff on the forum, it's hard not to be. If you're reading this, then you probably know what I mean. I love reading about the Epic rides to exotic places. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or money to do those kinds of rides and I probably won't unless I win the lottery. I'm not holding my breath for that possibility.

I also read some of the "less adventurous" ride reports. One of my favorite authors is iDave. His latest ride report has really made me think and is the inspiration for this report. Like me, he doesn't go anywhere really exotic, but he does a great job of finding adventure where ever he goes. He also does a great job on his ride reports. I wish I had his talent for writing.

I don't expect to ride anywhere today that I haven't ridden before. The first part of my ride today will be a route I have ridden dozens of times before. My goal for today is to try to recapture the sense of adventure that I felt the first time I went down these roads. The fact is, my route includes some really fun and scenic roads. I have lived in ten different states and ridden in about 40. N. GA has some of the best riding in the country.....but I sometimes forget that since I ride here all the time.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 07:38 PM
Old 08-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderboy
Yep, that's what happened !! It certainly was good to meet you and your charming wife!! Like you said, "you never know what you're gonna git". Well I can tell you one thing we got and that was "WET". After we left you guys and just crossed the slab, it rained on us almost all the way home. I say almost because it didn't rain a drop at my house. Soooo.... the the evening ended with a little good, meeting ya'll, and a little bad ,rain. You never know what your gonna git. Thanks for taking the time . hope to hear from you soon.
I was glad I drove the cage to dinner! I can handle riding in rain, snow, heat, cold, through mud, over rocks, and down really twisty roads. Downtown Atlanta traffic..........that's way to adventurous for me

Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Magnum1b
Magnum1b, yes I had one

Oddometer: 746
Laugh This thread is useless

without pictures

"Today's Entertainment"
Magnum1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm back from the ride. Great ride. Great fellow riders. Plenty of adventure........maybe too much for a couple of the riders I'll start on the rest of the story after I download all the pics I took.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
06Klr650
RidingCountry.com

Oddometer: 106
Can't wait to read the report and see the pics! That wasn't you I saw on a red and silver klr up around the fish hatchery this weekend was it?
RidingCountry.com
06Klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 AM   #11
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's early and I have some time before I need to leave so I have time for a short little adventure........Not for me, for my dog, Nora. My enthusiasm for going for a ride is nothing compared to Nora's enthusiasm for going for a walk. All I have to do is start putting on my shoes and she goes nuts! So off we go.

Even though we pretty much walk the same place every day, it seems to be a new adventure for her every time

Then it's time to ride. I jump on my trusty KLR and head out.

The start of my ride involves getting through what I'm trying to get away from, traffic lights and traffic.

I head down Due West Rd towards an intersection that has always amused me.

There's a four way intersection ahead. No matter which way you turn, you'll be on Due West Rd

A few miles down the road I turn off the main road and ride a couple of fun roads with some curves on them.

Then it's more city traffic

Old 08-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #12
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm trying to feel the adventure of the ride, but it's just not happening. A few years ago, I used to ride this route 5 days a week on my way to work.

At least there's some nice scenery as I ride past Lake Allatoona.

And it's an even better view the other way.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #13
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I try to avoid the highway but my route does involve a few miles of it today. I decide to jump off an exit early to visit my old place of employment. It's closed today but I stop and take a pic.

I sold Yamaha's and Kawasaki's here back in 2006. It was an interesting experience. I have often seen these places referred to as "stealerships". The fact is, unless the economy is going good, most of these places don't make a huge profit. Many struggle just to stay open. The people who work here don't make much money. Many of the people who work at motorcycle dealers do so because they love motorcycles. I stop by here every so often and say hi. Last time I stopped in almost all of the people I had worked with had left. Most of them are no longer working in the motorcycle industry. They may have loved motorcyles, but they needed to feed their families.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #14
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I jump back on the interstate. My destination is the little town of talking rock where I expect to meet a few other riders. How many is a few? I guess I'll find out when I get there.

I recently read a ride report by Demononthebrakes and he used a term that I just loved. He was describing some of the roads in his area as "lesser known roads of intoxicating curvage" I've ridden those roads and it's a great description. My route to Talking Rock includes some roads that aren't quite as good as the ones Demononthebrakes was describing, but still pretty good.
Maybe "lesser known roads of pretty darn good curvage"???

I have a choice to make. I can get off at the next exit and ride one of these lesser known roads, or I can ride a few more miles of interstate and save a few minutes .....................Yeah like there's a decision to be made here.

I get off and turn on to and nice curvy road. I shoot a few pics on the go but they aren't very good. Here's the best of the bunch.

If you have read any of my previous reports, you know I love riding curves One of the things that makes a motorcycle different from other forms of transportation is the way it leans around curves. I'm finally starting to get into the groove and enjoy the ride. One curve after another, feeling the edge of the tires scrub off on the pavement

The curves come to an end far to quickly. Gotta ride a couple of straight roads. At least I can see the mountains in the distance. And mountains usually mean curvy roads.

Soon I turn off on another lesser known road.

There is a thread in this forum about passing on double yellow lines. One of the things I love about this road is that there is no stinking double yellow line......and if there was, there's no traffic to pass anyway.

I love this little wooden bridge.

The next road does have a double yellow, but it also has lots of curves, nice scenery, and still no traffic

I took several pics on this road, but my aim was off today. Only one was worth posting.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
Magnum1b
Magnum1b, yes I had one

Oddometer: 746
Thumb My take on this ride

KLAviator took me down the primrose path as it were. He shouldn't be so hard on us old men. Here are a few pictures from my ride.

I did have a good time and saw some things and did some things I had been wanting, so thanks to all who rode and especially for not leaving me in the dust.
Magnum1b is offline   Reply With Quote