Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #376
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Yes, thanks.

On further thought I probably would not be picking up 2K# rocks, but rather probably 1000 or less. I want the extra lifting capacity to have some margin of safety and workload.

One neighbor just got a load of gravel and some fairly large boulders 4 to 5 feet across - thinking they are well over 2K#. I know he won't be able to lift them with his compact tractor which I think is a B-something Kubota, or around that size.

Other neighbor just ordered an L3800 HST with loader and mower. He got the 5 series loader which is only 1500# capacity.

I would like to find a deal on an L series or about that size with both loader and backhoe. I recognize that the backhoe would be very useful for what I want to do - especially lifting a large rock and placing it somewhere. I have at least several hundred feet of sloping embankments I want to put large rocks on, and I may also build some terraces. Lifting and placing that rock by hand is out of the question, using a loader would be clumsy and time consuming, with final placement probably being done by hand as the loader would lack the precision of the backhoe.

That said, I looked at my finances and I decided to hold off until next year. So far I spent $14K this year on property improvements, I will soon spend another $7K in a month or so, and the year isn't half over yet. Probably get a flail mower for the BCS too. So the only way I can really get the tractor I want, used or new, is a loan. Kubota has 0% loans on new tractors, but I don't want the additional debt and payments at this point, so I will hold off for a while.

I will make do with the 2 wheel tractor this year. It can't lift things, or pull them, but it can mow, till and push a little dirt. Mostly this year I want to get the slash piles burnt and use a dozer to level the ruts caused by logging and to clear some additional brush. Next year I can mess with the rock.

As for the HST vs. gears - for what I will be doing, I would prefer the HST. I will be doing a lot of moving stuff around, speeding up and slowing down, going back and forth, the kind of tasks that an HST is better for.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #377
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Sounds like an L45 or L48 would fit the bill perfectly for what you want to do. The dedicated TLB's (tractor/loader/backhoe) have more hydraulic pressure and flow, which of course translates to more lift/dig capacity. They also have stronger/beefier frames and weigh quite a bit more as well.

The only two disadvantages that I see, is you can't take the front end loader off (really not a big deal) and you lose some PTO hp since more engine power goes to the hydraulic pump, vs PTO.
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #378
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker View Post
Can anyone here say good or bad about the Mahindra Tractor.

I'm considering this one 3016 HST.

According to mfgr info, it lifts more and claims to be a heavier duty unit than the similar sized competition.......I've looked orange, yellow, green, blue and now red and it's fun!
I have never actually used a Mahindra, but a friend of mine has a smaller one and loves it. I've read a lot about them, so no personal experience, but I am pretty sure the equivalent size Mahindra (to my L series) would lift more weight with the loader.

All in all, the new tractors are all extremely comparable in specs, the more expensive tractors have more refined systems (like Kubota and Deere's HST system) but you pay for it. Kubota, Deere, NH, Kioti, Mahindra, Case, LS, and others, are so close that the major difference is the color. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #379
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,686
Guy that lives behind me has one....I looked at them when I was buying, but really only to say I looked. He has not had good luck with his.

Engine has been good but the loader and really all the hydraulic stuff has just been a nightmare. Last thing that went was the controls for the loader...the loader was down and would not go back up....made the machine pretty usless till he got it fixed.

That is the only one that I really know about. Could be great tractors and he got a not so good one, but the tractor is a big expense for me and I know I am going to be hard on the machine....I wanted one with a good proven track record.

Quote:
Can anyone here say good or bad about the Mahindra Tractor.

I'm considering this one 3016 HST.

According to mfgr info, it lifts more and claims to be a heavier duty unit than the similar sized competition.......I've looked orange, yellow, green, blue and now red and it's fun!
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #380
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,899
My L3830 will not pick up a full bucket of gravel. It will pick up about 3/4 bucket full. It's a 6' bucket, but I can't remember the the cubic foot capacity, it's not very deep.

A customer of mine works on Mahindras for a local dealer. He always has plenty of work to do, but I can't give you any specifics. I do know the older Mahindras are all pink now.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #381
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
My L3830 will not pick up a full bucket of gravel. It will pick up about 3/4 bucket full. It's a 6' bucket, but I can't remember the the cubic foot capacity, it's not very deep.

A customer of mine works on Mahindras for a local dealer. He always has plenty of work to do, but I can't give you any specifics. I do know the older Mahindras are all pink now.
Pink...............at the dealer, they had a used older one, my wife commented on the color.
MudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #382
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

I spent yesterday afternoon at the orange dealer looking at the B3200 Hydro. By the time I left, we moved to the L3200 gear. What a machine, I'm gonna buy it tomorrow!

As it turns out, the L series gear (clutch) drive is less $ than the lighter B series hydro and is offered with a $1000 rebate.....more machine, less $. Leaving out the hydro drive adds a little more power for implements, so those big rocks I'm gonna be up against may just get moving. There is much digging to do this summer!

Been wanting this for years now and it's finally happening.

FEL and backhoe with a thumb!

Not my photo, scarfed from the web.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #383
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
I spent yesterday afternoon at the orange dealer looking at the B3200 Hydro. By the time I left, we moved to the L3200 gear. What a machine, I'm gonna buy it tomorrow!

As it turns out, the L series gear (clutch) drive is less $ than the lighter B series hydro and is offered with a $1000 rebate.....more machine, less $. Leaving out the hydro drive adds a little more power for implements, so those big rocks I'm gonna be up against may just get moving. There is much digging to do this summer!

Been wanting this for years now and it's finally happening.

FEL and backhoe with a thumb!

Not my photo, scarfed from the web.

Heck of a nice machine. I'm seeing dollar signs though. How much?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #384
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVE View Post
Heck of a nice machine. I'm seeing dollar signs though. How much?
Less than one of these!

Pretty amazing when you look at it this way.

But, about 30% more than I was budgeting................but, it should last til I need my own hole dug.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #385
pnhd65
renaissance man

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Guy that lives behind me has one....I looked at them when I was buying, but really only to say I looked. He has not had good luck with his.

Engine has been good but the loader and really all the hydraulic stuff has just been a nightmare. Last thing that went was the controls for the loader...the loader was down and would not go back up....made the machine pretty usless till he got it fixed.

That is the only one that I really know about. Could be great tractors and he got a not so good one, but the tractor is a big expense for me and I know I am going to be hard on the machine....I wanted one with a good proven track record.

I've got an 1816, same series tractor, smaller engine. I'd recommend Mahindra to any one, I love mine and every time I use it I only wish I'd gotten it sooner. I think they have the best warranty out there. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine.
They have higher lift capacity and weigh more than the competion for any other brand in the same category.
Don't know what the loader problem is on the tractor mentioned, but it sounds like a problem with the control valve. Keep in mind, the attatchments such as the loader, aren't made by the tractor manufacturer, usually made by a third party.
When I got mine, I had gotten some advice that you're probably better off looking for a reputable dealer within decent distance to your place, rather than the actual brand of tractor.
All in all though, I couldn't be happier with mine and I'd recommend one to anybody.
pnhd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #386
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,686
Personally I think in this day and age they are all pretty much the same. I am just pointing out the problems that he had.

In the class of machine I was looking at it looked like it had a very heavy duty front end on the machine. But I just did not care for it...perhaps it was that guys problem in the back of my head. You know Ford guy vs Chevy guy.

I really wanted the JD but there are a few things that just pushed me away. I wanted the grapple and the little Land Pride was made around the BX Kubota. I also liked the MF a great deal but only 1 dealer within 100 miles. LS and Kioti are the same problem....I really wanted at least 2 dealers inside of 50 miles....that really brought it down to Kubota, New Holland (LS), JD, and Mahendra.

I have been real happy with the Kubota and as far as lifting I have lifted the butt of the tractor off the ground....so the power is there for what I need to do. (the backhoe was on as well)...really fricken shocked me, but I think it was the bumpy ground and I had it pretty high as branches and such hung out of the bucket and I kept running over them pulling more crap out of the bucket.

I really wish I had video of that....I had my phone with me but that new Android OS is just killing my battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhd65 View Post
I've got an 1816, same series tractor, smaller engine. I'd recommend Mahindra to any one, I love mine and every time I use it I only wish I'd gotten it sooner. I think they have the best warranty out there. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine.
They have higher lift capacity and weigh more than the competion for any other brand in the same category.
Don't know what the loader problem is on the tractor mentioned, but it sounds like a problem with the control valve. Keep in mind, the attatchments such as the loader, aren't made by the tractor manufacturer, usually made by a third party.
When I got mine, I had gotten some advice that you're probably better off looking for a reputable dealer within decent distance to your place, rather than the actual brand of tractor.
All in all though, I couldn't be happier with mine and I'd recommend one to anybody.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #387
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhd65 View Post
The Mahindra dealer I met seemed great and has been there for ever although, he is new to this brand. I was compelled to look closely at them all and I did. I think after all is said and done, the key selling point for me is based on the potential resale value of Kubota. This machine is more than I need later but just what I need and can afford now. Down the road I see myself in a smaller machine that does everything. With resale in mind I had to back away from Mahindra as it's just not as well known as the Kubota and, the difference in price is only just over $2K. Oh, and, the Mahindra did not offer 0% financing.........1.99% was the best they would do.

Lastly, as mentioned above, I have 3 Kubota dealers within 50 miles, one within 20. Only one Mahindra shop 30 mile drive............options are always good.

It's good to hear you like your machine, thanks for posting to my question!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #388
SafetyThird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
This a good deal?

http://visalia.craigslist.org/grd/4462161444.html

4wd Diesl Kubota B7100 with a loader, brush hog, disk, mower for $4200.

I'm hoping to go see it tonight. Any input would be appreciated.
SafetyThird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #389
MudWalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyThird View Post
This a good deal?

http://visalia.craigslist.org/grd/4462161444.html

4wd Diesl Kubota B7100 with a loader, brush hog, disk, mower for $4200.

I'm hoping to go see it tonight. Any input would be appreciated.
Advice I got from my Kubota dealer yesterday:

"If you are going to trade in your Kubota, first put it on Craigslist and ask $2000 more than it books for. If it's not sold in a week come in and talk to me."

Amazing something that well used still holds roughly 1/4 of its original value........damn thing is at least 20 years old probably much more.

That model was made from 1977-1997!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #390
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post

5 series or 7 series loader?
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: