User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #31
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,141
That is why I like the little JD650, it is 4wd with a locking rear diff, It does pretty well in the snow as along as you keep it warm you will not have trouble starting it. Mine also came with the belly mower that seems like it was made of leftover steel from the battleship missouri, so no extra attachment to mow, and it is a belly mower. They are pretty nice little tractors...not sure what they are going for these days,
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #32
R.J. OP
split personality

Oddometer: 1,070
Thanks for the comments and feedback. It seems rather difficult to find a tractor that will do a nice finishing job on the lawn, but still have enough muscle to plow a lot of snow. Around here, working used tractors are more difficult to come by, especially anything that isn't a monster. Fixing up an old tractor that doesn't already run is out of the question. (That cuts way too much into riding time.) New, they start at over $15K with a simple 54" mower and a front end loader. I don't think we would use all of the extra accessories you can buy. The horses will do most of the mowing on the property. We just need to keep the grass around the yard looking good and to be able to get out of our driveway in the winter.

As an alternative, we are looking at a 4x4 quad with a 6' blade and a separate, smaller riding mower. Even buying new, this set up would save us over $5K and might do a better job of both. As it is end of season, there are some pretty good deals out there right now. There is also quite a bit of used inventory in both small garden tractors and quads available, if we chose to go that route. We move in less than two weeks, so we have to make some decisions soon. The grass growth has slowed considerably as the days are much shorter now, so hopefully we will not have to cut until spring. Old Man Winter, on the other hand is a cranky bastard around here and could make an unwelcome appearance any time...

Any comments on the quad / garden mower combo?
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #33
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J.

You'll probably have people argue both ways over this one. I've done some plowing with quads. If you get light snow and it's under a foot, you can make quick work of pushing it out of the way. If it's heavy, or deeper, it changes the situation entirely. If the driveway isn't paved you might find that the plow bounces around a little bit too much- in turn not doing a great job.

PS- the guy who sold me my 4 wheeler (who also happens to be a friend) told me that quad plows were invented to help guys convince their wives that they "need" a quad- they're not really meant to plow snow.

adam_c_eckhardt screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 05:24 PM
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #34
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
Quote:

I had the same thoughts as you and I think wisely decided against the quad route. Quads are just not heavy enough to push deep wet snow. We have a Polaris Ranger and considered equipping it with a blade.

If you can't afford a larger 4wd compact for snow, you might consider a beater 4wd pickup with a blade. Trucks around here do a great job of pushing snow. Another thing you have to consider if you have long lanes, is do you have plenty of room off the side of your lane to windrow the snow? If you can't blade the snow 10 feet off of you lane and start windowing it, you have no room to push the snow, if you keep getting big continuous snowfalls. Then you will need a loader at a minimum to pick up the snow and move it, or a blower. Another advantage of the 4wd truck is, you will always find uses for a truck on an acreage. Beater plow trucks around here can be bought for $3-$4K with a plow.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #35
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,958
Just to keep flogging the same old dead horse, running 9N or 8Ns show up on Craigslist here all the time for anywhere from $1500-$2500. A 9N is the earlier version, with only 3 speeds (an 8N has four). The 2N was the wartime version of the same tractor. I guess they came with steel wheels during WW2 to save rubber-but you'll never see one with these wheels outside of a vintage tractor show.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #36
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 5,915
My favorite small real tractor. I agree that for the OP 2 tractors would do a better job for what he intends to do.

anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 AM   #37
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,958
I also have an International Cub with a belly mower,very similar to that in the photo. The lack of a 3-point hitch makes it pretty much a full-time grass mower to me. Despite its size, it's a very low powered tractor. I seem to recall it is just 10 hp. It is very good on gas mileage though-I usually say I only have to fill it up once a year ,which is not too far from the truth. My 18.5hp riding mower, an old Murray from Home Depot, just guzzles gas-I may only get my 2-acre lawn cut once with a tank of gas. I like to keep multiple tractors around for various purposes and backup-if my mower goes down for some reason, I want to be able to keep the grass cut while I fix the mower. My usual routine is to cut the "main" lawn with the riding Murray, then cut the rougher stuff out at the edges with the Cub, and then bush-hog the back acreage several times a year with the 8N.
My poor old Murray is about 20 years old, and the mower deck is rusted out-a mounting bracket fell off last week, and I had to cobble up a fix for it. I'll be in the market soon for a new mower, and I'm trying to decide whether to get a zero-turn, or a fairly large John Deere mower like the neighbors, which also does a very good job of plowing snow. I always like to have machines around that can do several jobs. I'm restoring an old Willys jeep right now, and I hope to eventually find a snowplow blade setup for that,so it will have some utility.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #38
anotherguy
Banned

You can push snow with a Cub. However the chains are mandatory. I'm like the Harley guys when it comes to tractors. If it ain't red it ain't.........comes from growing up on my great grandfathers farm. A Cub for light work,an M for general and a Super M for the big jobs. Can't remember them being down for anything other than maintenance.

750 productive acres and a dairy operation. That man knew the meaning of work.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #39
SpiderDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
As an alternative, we are looking at a 4x4 quad with a 6' blade and a separate, smaller riding mower. Even buying new, this set up would save us over $5K and might do a better job of both. As it is end of season, there are some pretty good deals out there right now. There is also quite a bit of used inventory in both small garden tractors and quads available, if we chose to go that route. We move in less than two weeks, so we have to make some decisions soon. The grass growth has slowed considerably as the days are much shorter now, so hopefully we will not have to cut until spring. Old Man Winter, on the other hand is a cranky bastard around here and could make an unwelcome appearance any time...

The six foot blade on a quad seems kinda long to me. Do a search on youtube for videos on plowing snow with ATVs. There are plenty to watch and it looks like they are out there moving snow, but I just bought a Sportsman 500 with a 4 foot Polaris blade from a friend that said he needed something better to plow snow.

My neighbor loves to use his Scotts 22 Hp rider (John Deere) with weights and a blade to plow his drive, it's amazing to watch and he hasn't asked for help.

Another neighbor uses a 9N and it looks like that tractor does a good job, this is the minimum what I'd start at and try to get newer.
SpiderDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #40
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy
You can push snow with a Cub. However the chains are mandatory.

That they are, our Cub w/ chains and a full load of liquid ballast plus the big rear wheel weights, you don't ever want to take a full bite unless the snow is really fluffy and only a few inches. Heavy snow I end up taking about 1/3rd of a blades worth per pass and push it right to the side. Better hope it doesn't ice up, because the cub won't push it.

While the cub is only 9-12 hp, it is a real inline 4 engine, with a good bit of torque. It is far more engine than a 25 HP single cylinder garden tractor engine. But as mentioned, NO standard hitch, there is a single prong fast hitch, but the implements aren't all that available unless you just do gardeny stuff. And if you wanted an FEL the International 1000 loader is rare, and extremely odd. Plus the tractor has its limited hydraulic abilities, and spindly front end castings.

Love Farmall Cubs, but you do have to know their limitations, start looking at these and you'll see all sorts of brazing/welding jobs on the major castings.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #41
anotherguy
Banned

I didn't mean to imply the Cub is a do-it -all tractor. It's a large lawn tractor. Good for cutting large areas of heavy growth and some other medium duty jobs around a homestead. For the real work I've always liked the M. I'm biased like I said earlier.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #42
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderDan
I have 30 acres of woods with trails, pasture, and yard. The drive is over a quater mile long, and I live north of the Frozen Tundra (Lambeau Field). My tractor for the past 9 years has been a 21 Hp Kubota B7500 HST diesel 4x4 with a LA302 loader. For moving snow I use a 5 foot back blade, for tilling I use a 50 inch tiller, for mowing rough stuff and trails i use a 48 inch brush hog, and I was using a 48 inch box blade to groom the drive earlier today. I have made other three point tools such as a boom pole, and a drawbar based receiver hitch. I also use a receiver hitch on the bucket to hold my motorcycle tire changer with down force.

For mowing around 1 acre of lawn, I use a 16 hp hydrostatic rider.

I'm very pleased with my Kubota, and find that it does all the jobs I ask it to do, and the implements are light enough to nudge around a bit when mounting them.

Good Luck with what you choose.

Sounds like me. Older Kubota B9200 (had for 19 years), 60" Ford 970B finishing mower, 48" bursh hog, 60" blade for 3pt, and a Husqvarna 48" mower I use around trees and the house......

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #43
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,259
A quad with a self-powered pull type mower is a good idea but....

The quad would need selectable 4wd and an open rear diff to avoid damage to the lawn. That's only an issue if you want the stereo typical acerage lawn.
There is something to be said for a rougher cut for most of the lawn and a nicer cut up around the house. Think fairway with a rough.

The alternative is to find someone fairly local with sheep to take care of the bulk of your mowing needs.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #44
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,483
That beater truck idea? If you've got a spot to put snow and don't have to blow it off the road then that beater will be much more attractive cost wise.

It'll also be amazingly more attractive for those mornings when you look outside and the wind is howling at 50mph (we get well over 100mph gusts here at my place). An open tractor seat in a howling wind is not a pretty place to be blowing snow from.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #45
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
It'll also be amazingly more attractive for those mornings when you look outside and the wind is howling at 50mph (we get well over 100mph gusts here at my place). An open tractor seat in a howling wind is not a pretty place to be blowing snow from.
A closed cab tractor with heat is nice, a closed cab skid steer w/ a snow push blade is also nice. A truck is nice too, although you cannot so much "relocate" snow with it, and they aren't as maneuverable. At a family business we push the snow off w/ the plow truck, and it builds up at the edge as the truck cannot push the big piles up and over the curbs far enough that it doesn't build up and create a large pile. Then you end up coming back with a tractor and relocating snow further off the side, MAJOR draw back to a plow truck if you get lots of snow, and have no where to push it.

If you're driveway is gravel, you cannot beat a blower, get a layer packed down, and you don't push your gravel into your yard. Its a major battle every year, plow snow and gravel into yard, go around raking the gravel back our of the grass in the spring so you don't destroy your mower blades. But then again, blowers are expensive kit, and not all tractors can be equipped with one.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: