Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #46
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J.
We are moving to an acreage and are looking for a good yard tractor. Basically, we need to be able to move snow (lots of it) and mow grass. We will also need to be able to level out a few rough spots of lumpy dirt and knock down some alfalfa when it gets a little long (no need to bale it though). We might use a tiller maybe twice a year. So far we have looked at the following:

John Deer 2305 - 27 hp diesel tractor with front end loader and 52" mower deck.

Massey Ferguson 1500 - 28 gas? hp with front end loader and 52" mower deck.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two models? Likes, dislikes? Advice?
Don't know allot about your two choices but I needed one for some land I need to clear and a few other chores around the place so I started this thread.

I am pretty happy with the Kubota I ended up with and have found I use it a lot. I have also made a few attachments for it.

This detachable rake I built for it is great for clean up and burning.

Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #47
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Tractor

Buy a Kubota and you will not regret it. I have owned four of them,still have two and never had a problem.(knock on wood)
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #48
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Kioti makes a nice tractor, I've had this for a few years with
zero problems. It was about 5K cheaper than the big name
brands when I bought it.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #49
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,026
My neighbor has one of those big tractors like that with a loader on the front. He only has an acre of land, so it is amusing to watch how he uses it for the most trivial jobs-I guess to justify its purchase to his wife.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #50
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,282
Kinda like my buddies that deer hunt together. They all have tricked out Rangers and Mules with all the latest gadgetry. They hunt together and usually only can take one to the lease when they go.

I only have 4.5 acres and am amazed at the jobs I can find for mine. Tree pushing, burning and dirt work make up the majority of it. Made a detachable 5' jib for the bucket. I've lifted all kinds of things with it.

Needed to work on my lawn mower so I used it to lift it onto the welding table.

Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #51
XPLORZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
While I can't add much to the snow removal discussion, I can to the mowing. I have four acres of property with three being horse pastures. I mow between three and five times a year for weed control. For the first ten years I mowed with a Minneapolis Moline tractor, very similar to the old Ford 8n's and 9n's. I had to add an external over-running clutch to it because without it (and sometimes with it) there is no control over the movement of the tractor with the clutch pushed in as there is a tremendous amount of energy stored in the heavy mass of spinning blades under the mower deck. Also when mowing heavy vegetation and I needed to change direction from forward to reverse, as soon as I pushed in the clutch, the mower would no longer be supplied PTO power.

Eventually I got smart and donated the Moline to the AG department of the local highschool and bought a modern diesel 4wd compact tractor with FEL. I have NEVER looked back wishing I had that old tractor back. Now using the same Bush Hog I can do the job in half the time, while feeling a whole lot safer. And once you have an FEL, you get real good at finding uses for it, from drainage ditches, carrying hay, pulling posts, lifting trusses.....

Back ten years ago my research led me to a Kioti LK3504 as the best bang for the buck. I don't regret that purchase a bit as it has performed flawlessly since.
XPLORZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #52
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,942
My family is in a similar boat, we bought 16 acres of nice flat land in VA and my step Mother will be farming 12-14 of them, what would be some good options?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #53
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44
My neighbor has one of those big tractors like that with a loader on the front. He only has an acre of land, so it is amusing to watch how he uses it for the most trivial jobs-I guess to justify its purchase to his wife.
That is exactly what I am trying to do. I want something like that but probaly only have a few days worth of work for it. Although I could build a wicked motocross track with one of those.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #54
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
My family is in a similar boat, we bought 16 acres of nice flat land in VA and my step Mother will be farming 12-14 of them, what would be some good options?
What does she want to do with those 12-14 acres?

Would be different requirements depending on if she plans on doing U-Pick produce or a bunch of hay.

Don't know what they do out in VA.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #55
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,629
It depends upon your local area. But don't over look the old Fords. This one came with the wife and her folks. They can be real work horses. This one has over 12,000 hours. Yes that is 12,000 hours. Never been rebuilt still starts first twist of the key.

I don't get out to the farm very often, but when I do, you'll find me on the tractor doing somehting around the farm. OBTW, the farm is 100 acres.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #56
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
What does she want to do with those 12-14 acres?

Would be different requirements depending on if she plans on doing U-Pick produce or a bunch of hay.

Don't know what they do out in VA.

Right now it is just hay and the neighbor pays them to bale it and use it for his cattle. But when the build on the land and move in I am pretty sure it will be mostly produce like a garden on steroids along with a couple acres of apples.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #57
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,095
I just bought this one.

I'll pick it up tomorrow and haul it to the farm. It has a finish mower, but no brush hog. I'll have to buy one later.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #58
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,026
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #59
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post

Hmm. Maybe he has some sort of physical ailment. Maybe he has a limitation that you are unaware of. I find it amusing that you find it amusing that someone else has a tool you think he doesn't need.

I used to have a Kubota B series 23HP diesel with FEL and 5' blade for my 5 acres. But I paid for it by doing snow removal for about 25 of my neighbors for 2 winters. Price was $50 for a short driveway, $100 for a long one, or $1000 for a season pass. I out-priced all the other snow removers in the area and I lived close enough to just drive over [everyone had 5-10 acres) and we all live 1/4 - 1/2 mile from the paved road. My wife was flabbergasted how easy it was to pay for the $13K "toy". But I heard from people all the time: "Why do you need a tractor for 5 acres. That's stupid". I just gave up explaining. It is so nice to have a FEL and I did find 5000 things to use it for besides snow removal. When we sold the property a few years ago and moved to the burbs I sold that tractor for almost what I paid for it because the prices had risen. I still smile over how much fun it was to do routine tasks with a diesel powered tool.

We have a small cabin in the mountains with a small acreage. I am now 55 and clearly see why someone would like a small tractor with FEL to help out. Work becomes fun and the remaining time can be used for more fun stuff like riding. Someday soon I may be that neighbor with the tractor and you can laugh at me too.

T.

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 05-12-2011 at 04:32 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #60
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Hmm. Maybe he has some sort of physical ailment. Maybe he has a limitation that you are unaware of. I find it amusing that you find it amusing that someone else has a tool you think he doesn't need.

I used to have a Kubota B series 23HP diesel with FEL and 5' blade for my 5 acres. But I paid for it by doing snow removal for about 25 of my neighbors for 2 winters. Price was $50 for a short driveway, $100 for a long one, or $1000 for a season pass. I out-priced all the other snow removers in the area and I lived close enough to just drive over [everyone had 5-10 acres) and we all live 1/4 - 1/2 mile from the paved road. My wife was flabbergasted how easy it was to pay for the $13K "toy". But I heard from people all the time: "Why do you need a tractor for 5 acres. That's stupid". I just gave up explaining. It is so nice to have a FEL and I did find 5000 things to use it for besides snow removal. When we sold the property a few years ago and moved to the burbs I sold that tractor for almost what I paid for it because the prices had risen. I still smile over how much fun it was to do routine tasks with a diesel powered tool.

We have a small cabin in the mountains with a small acreage. I am now 55 and clearly see why someone would like a small tractor with FEL to help out. Work becomes fun and the remaining time can be used for more fun stuff like riding. Someday soon I may be that neighbor with the tractor and you can laugh at me too.

T.
Everyone has their own idea of what someone else needs or not I guess.

I have a Kubota BX2200 with a loader, 52 inch mower, 50 inch blower, PHD and 60" rear blade. I don't even have an acre, but my driveway is stupid and if I didn't have it I would not have the Kubota. That said, I have the largest lot on the street and I have accomplished so much around my house using my favorite cordless tool that is isn't funny. Do I NEED it, no. Does it lighten my work load, help my beat up old body, cut my working times down to free up more time to do other things, can I afford it, Yes to all and I am glad that I have it.

I'm sure to some on my street it is over kill. You know what? They seem to like my Kubota enough when I head up the street and clear their driveway in no time afte a big storm......for free.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: