User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #61
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,130
We bought a New Holland TC40D 11 years ago. At the time we had 48 acres of mostly woods around our house. I did more than I ever thought I would with it. A few years ago we bought and rebuilt a lodge on 34 acres a mile up the road. Again, it worked like crazy. The reason I went past the other brands is the NH "super steer" option. It was an extra $1000 but worth every penny. It turns like a ZTR mower. It makes getting around the woods with a FEL much easier. Look at the NH website before you buy anything else. BTW- The tractor has been flawless for those 11 years. GREAT machine.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #62
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,358
Porsche desel

Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #63
Reddemon
Version 7.0

Oddometer: 1,953
We also have a New Holland, the TC33D (the largest hp on the smaller chassis) We bought it with a brush hog, post hole digger, york rake, and front end loader. It's 4wd, and even without the super steer option, it turns on a dime. For our needs (brush hogging, digging fence post holes, handling manure, grading, and assorted odd jobs) it is more than enough tractor.
I tried out JD and Massey Ferguson, but liked NH the best. It just felt easy to operate, and solid. We've had it for 5 years now, and it's been flawless.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #64
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
I just bought one, finally! 2006 Kioti DK35 with box blade and FEL. I am excited to put it to work!

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #65
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
I've got a 1987 Kubota B9200 4WD. Bought it in '91. "60 Ford finishing mower, 48' brush hog and a 6' blade.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #66
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,505
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Kubota BX25. 4WD, FEL, BH, MMM.

I have 5 acres, 3 are wooded, 2 are mowed. I am taking out a lot of the junk wood and brush, so I will be moving and digging stumps.

I have been using a DR 17 hp 30" brush mower, with blade, chipper and 42" finish mower attachments. I was looking at many years of plugging away at the projects I have lined up, now, I think 2 seasons ought to be enough.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #67
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. View Post
Most of it is a fairly smoothe alfalfa field that has been hayed regularly for over 10-15 years. . Most of the land will be fenced for horse pasture, .
Just found this thread and love it, as I too am looking.

However, I noticied the above info and want to warn you - BE REAL CAREFUL about grazing your horses on alfalfa. It's much too rich and will cause founder. Please check it out further before you let your horses on it. Grasses only, no legumes.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #68
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
New Kubota

One of the reasons I posted my remarks a week ago was that I was actively shopping for a new Kubota at the time. Sealed the deal last weekend and the new unit will be delivered in a week or so.

It is a B3300SU (B Series, 33 HP, 4-cylinder) with a FEL (front end loader) and a backhoe. I really need it for the backhoe to dig irrigation and other stuff on our mountain property. Still deciding on which rear blade to get and whether to get a PHD or not. The 6' rear blade is for snow removal, driveway grading, and can be used to do a ton of other stuff like lift trees, materials, etc.. around. Lift capacity is about 1000 lbs in the bucket.

Here she is on the dealer's lot. No backhoe mounted yet. The one right in the middle with the 60" bucket on front.

With R4 (Industrial) tires the tractor alone weighs about 1950 pounds Add the front end loader and backhoe and the total is right around 4000 pounds.

Hydrostatic transmission. Power Steering. Rear PTO. Class I 3PH, yaddie yaddie.

1.5 Liters (91.5 CU IN) of 4-cylinder diesel with 33HP. Sounds low but 32 HP in a CUT (compact utility tractor) is a lot of power and can do a lot of things in a small package. It will use about 1 gallon of diesel per hour.

Not my tractor, but here's a picture of the same tractor with the Kubota backhoe mounted. It is easily removable as there is a complete subframe that is bolted to the tractor that the backhoe rests on with a 4 point attachment system. Can dig down to almost 8'. I selected a 12" toothed bucket but you can get 10, 12, 16, and 18" I believe.

And of course it's 2WD or 4WD selectable. In 4WD this thing can move a lot of dirt or snow. My old tractor was a 3-cylinder 1-liter 24 HP and it could do a lot.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #69
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,925
This thread is really terrible.

We're looking for a house and tonight I mentioned to my wife we needed to look at places with more property so I could get a tractor.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #70
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
This thread is really terrible.

We're looking for a house and tonight I mentioned to my wife we needed to look at places with more property so I could get a tractor.
BCC:

Go to tractorbynet.com and hang out there in the forums. It will kill you. It is THE place to learn about tractors, brands, prices, problems, etc.. It's the AdvRider for Tractor Guys.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #71
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
We have 14 acres,
Dad and I live on the place. My only neighbor.
Between the two of us we mow 80% of it.
He mows about 3 acres of the less rocky stuff with a simple Craftsman Rider, 24HP I think it is, 48" Cut.
I use my old Allis Chalmers 920 rider, 48" cut, its not that bad to knock it down, I can mow the pasture areas 3 to 4 times a year. The rest is the yards that still equal up to 2 or 3 acres.

Tractors, we buy what ever we can find cheap, right now its a 50HP Ebro (I think thee is a whole 3 of them in US) Perkins diesel engine runs awesome.
It will do anything you need it to do, bushhog, plow, blade etc. But I use my little AC920 for the same stuff too.

I would not get an 8N, but a 9N I would get for the Live PTO. But these things are all over 50 years old and getting long in the tooth.

Other tractors we have had over the last 20 years,
Internationals, H Model gas, M Model gas, and 540 diesel, and one I forget the number of but it was a monster 100HP and a dozer blade on it. It liked the diesel too.

The compact tractors are nice if you hobby work at something. But when it comes to time to do real work there is no replacement for a normal sized machine. Like last week I was delivering some roofing and stuff and the Home Owner was trying to use his Compact Tractor and Front Loader to pull some 4x4 fence posts out of the ground. He was working a shovel to dig them up because the LITTLE tractor just couldn't do it.
I've used the three point on my normal sized tractors to do the same task without breaking a sweat.
I used my Moffett and snatched them out like they wasn't there.
Oh a Moffett is one these piggy back lifts.

But anyway, don't go spend several thousand dollars on a micro machine when you can spend $2500 for an older machine with attachments and will last you a very long time still. I don't think we ever spent more than $900 on any tractor, use it several years and replace it.
The Ebro is that way now, its such an oddball machine you can't find parts anyplace.

I would look for somthing like this.
http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com...L-544-97600622
Nice size and HP and doesn't use a lot of fuel and parts are easy to get still and attachments.

If was going to mow a LOT of grass I would buy this before a new Rider.
http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com...O-BOY-97545853

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 07:52 PM
Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #72
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Infracaninophile ,
Nice tractor, you will be happy with that!
Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #73
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

I pulled the trigger on the Kubota BX25 last night. I am waiting for delivery, they have one on the way, but the dealer has to meet a minimum order of 15000 pounds.

I am as excited as when I get a new bike, work will be fun again.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #74
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,446
another vote for blue - We've had this one since new, 7 years now. Trouble free.

It's a TC30 - bigger chassis, no frills. A bigger more powerful tractor than the subcompacts, for the same $$. You'll never wish for less when it comes to tractors.

It does make work fun.

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 AM   #75
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
BCC:

Go to tractorbynet.com and hang out there in the forums. It will kill you. It is THE place to learn about tractors, brands, prices, problems, etc.. It's the AdvRider for Tractor Guys.

Tom
Yep, that's where I got my learn'n.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: