User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Zojirushi OP
Surly Sailor

Oddometer: 120
Monticello Box Canyon

It was my Saturday (Wednesday), so I loaded the DR650 for her first real dirt trip and headed a couple hours north. Exited I25 on NM52 to NM142 and rolled through the small town of Monticello around noon. The road turns to gravel upon leaving town and begins to rise up towards the San Mateo mountains to the Northeast (Not to be confused with the identically named San Mateo mountains a few hours further north).

Burma road was great. Rocky doubletrack undulating just enough to be fun while affording a break from the heat and plenty of views like this one.

I hadn't really bothered to look at maps nor had I downloaded tracks to my GPS. I did however bring my camping gear, which gives me plenty of time to find my way out should I get lost.

None of this mattered much as the built in maps in my GPS showed exactly where Monticello Box Canyon was. When I got tired of dodging cactus (unsuccessfully) I took a brief break to see where I was.

"Ok, so I'm not there. And I'm not there. Where is the box canyon? Oh, right. There it is. Let's go that way then."

As soon as I hit the Creek I was greeted by a hallway of Black Eyed Susans. Some just said hello, some smacked me in the face. I was grinning ear to ear as I goosed it through the first crossing.

I felt every concern of society drift away on each further crossing. Sometimes I'd just ignore the track all together and fly down the middle of the stream. This only resulted in me getting stuck between a downed cottonwood and the elevated bank of the creek once.

All too quickly the canyon tightened up and spit me back into gentle rolling hills.

I'd say bummer, but I was completely satisfied. I ripped it down some gravel until civilization regained its foothold first via pavement and then actual buildings. Slabbed it home as the sunset to my west. Life is good.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Nice photos. I love both Burma Rd and Monticello canyon. Unfortunately my smallest fully functional bike at the moment is the 1150 GSA. I'm hoping to have the 950 fully operational soon (this weekend?) and get up there again.

If you run Monticello from the beginning (skipping Burma rd) it is perfect for getting someone acclimated to water crossing--they start small and easy, and build up to moderately deep and fairly significant.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #3
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
Great photos, looks like you had a blast! Did you see any decent primative camp sites while you were out there?
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM   #4
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,755
love those relaxing solo rides to forget about it all for a while.

are those photos right out of the camera, or are they manipulated a bit?
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote