User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
Deckyon OP
The Raven

Oddometer: 334
My KY Adventures - Ongoing

This will be my ongoing thread of the short day-trips I make in and around my home in Louisville, KY. Not all rides will take place in KY, some will happen in Indiana.

This first one is light on photos, I realize I should have taken the camera, but I was just excited to get out and put rubber to road for the first time in a month.
Deckyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Deckyon OP
The Raven

March 8, 2015

So the snow started Wednesday evening, March 4th and ended sometime Thursday afternoon, March 5th. In total, we got somewhere between 12" and 18" of snow, depending on where you lived in the area. It was enough for even my company, who rarely even gives a 2 hour late opening, to close for the day Thursday. This was one of those thick, heavy snows that comes in quick. It shut down most of the expressways, to the point emergency crews were running supplies to stranded truckers who could not make some of the the hills along I-65.

And I missed all of it.

I got up Thursday morning, checked my work phone and saw the office was going to be closed. Great! A free day off. I went back to bed and tried going back to sleep. Well, lets say I got about an hour's sleep when I woke up with a splitting headache and my stomach rumbling enough to cause an earthquake. OK - free day off turned into a free sick day. With what appeared to be flu-like symptoms, I was relegated to my bed (or bathroom) for the whole of the day. And, most of the next day as well. I didn't even see the snow until late Friday afternoon.

How is this a ride report? Sounds more like a sick report... Well, after solving the fever and other issues, I was mending and Saturday came and went and I was able to get out a bit and get some real food. Met with my family for dinner for one of my niece's birthdays. It was fun. Went home, tired at the minimal exertion and went to bed around 9pm. Then Sunday comes and with it, near 60 degree weather. Weather good enough to have the roads clear (though some still wet with melting snow) and salty. After I cleaned up a few things in the house, I decided to put rubber to pavement and see how things were doing.

I should have worn my camera. It was nice, jacket without the liner, warmer weather gloves, face shield up most of the time (love the drop down shades in the helmet). I even got to try out my new riding pants. They are mesh, but also water resistant, so it would be a good day to wear them. Keep me from ruining a pair of jeans or burning up with the rain pants over the jeans. Besides, why did I buy the riding pants if I wasn't going to wear them riding? Man, were they comfortable, too. And the leather on the inside of the knees offers grip like nothing else.

It was a beautiful, mostly cloudless day. The breeze was slight, the air brisk but warm (in comparison.) I went out at 1pm and didn't return until well after 5:00 pm. Put on 130 miles. Found the Motorcycle Superstore location just south of U of L. Gonna have to make another trip there soon to check out proper boots for ADV riding, but this will be later in the year, I don't plan on doing any off-road riding this year. I went south through Fisherville and along the train tracks and under a large tressel. I should have brought my camera. Would have made an excellent photo with the train going across.

Ran into the normal group of idiots on the roads. I did get to see one dumb shit bitch get her karmic bill come due. She ran a stop sign (as I was starting into the intersection), gave a shoulder shrug when I honked, and then lights came on behind me as the cops proceeded to pull her over. I turned around to go back down by her, just to wave and shrug. Even the cop laughed when I came back around. All I could wonder is how he wrote her up. I hope it was reckless driving, but no matter what, in KY, court costs are $128.50, and then the fine.

The rest of the day went without incident. Rode through a local large city park, which was full of people out and about, running, walking, riding bikes. All with the same looks on their faces: Thank god I am out of the house!

Rode over to a local bar (wish we had real pubs, I miss the UK for that) to get a quick beer and bite. Skipped the bite and got some beer and some water. As I was walking out someone asked me if I was coming back from skiing as I was wearing snow pants. I said "no, just out riding and enjoying a spring day. These are motorcycle pants, and I want as much kevlar between my ass and the road as possible." They laughed, and bought me a beer. Couldn't say no, and may have some motorcycle converts. Finally left and hit the road again. I had no real game plan or destination in mind.

As I rode around, I had to watch out more for environmental issues than I did for traffic. There was water in different areas all over, from the melting snow piled feet deep in places. Glad I wore my riding pants, otherwise my jeans would have been soaked and filthy. The water wasn't too bad, I kept it steady and didn't make any sudden changes in speed or direction. What was harder to deal with were the pot holes everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. Some were larger than manhole covers and as deep as 2 feet. Others narrow and deep and looked like they would grab your wheel and throw you over the handlebars. Either of which would take out a rim. Slow and steady and maneuver around. Also, keep quite a bit of distance between the car ahead so there is time to react. Got honked at for going a little slow in places, but hey, I was out to survive the day. All and all, a lot of good practice.

I finished with a trip up River Road showed me just how much we snow we got. The river was over the banks in some places, side roads closed, neighborhoods were nearly under water. We are still in a flood warning - snow is still melting, and with rain around the corner, River Road itself will be part of the river soon. I stopped feeling sorry for those along that route. It isn't like they can be surprised when this happens. I mean. Rivers flood. Some, nearly every year. Take the insurance money and MOVE! Get above the flood plane.

Today, Monday, is gonna be a decent day. I may take a trip around the neighborhood before calling it a night. It is cloudy, but dry. The rest of the week and through the weekend will be all rain and wetness. With that will be roads covered in salt with running water. Nope. No thanks. Next Monday looks like it will be the next day free for riding, and Tuesday is St. Patrick's day!

I realize, not the typical ride report, but I did finally get to ride. Basically first day out since Feb 7. I don't want to go a month again without riding. This week, however, I will take with a grain of salt (or a few tons that is left on the roads).
Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
Deckyon OP
The Raven

03/11/2015 - Morning Commute

No photos today on the ride into work, but it was an adventure. While it wasn't raining, the fog was thick enough all over town that my visor was soaked inside and out before I even got out of my driveway. Got to try out my rain gear, too. Not because it was raining, however...

I put the pants on before leaving since I knew it was going to be damp and I needed my work pants to be dry and clean for the office. Threw the rain jacket in the frunk and just wore my regular riding jacket. That didn't last long. I soon pulled over and put the rain jacket on as well.

While it wasnt raining, the roads were wet in places, damp in others. I was glad for the rain gear, but my face was soaked by the time I got to work. I pulled into the normal garage, but for some reason, I didnt trip the weight sensors to kick on the screen to get my ticket... First time that has happened. I had to go around to a different garage... For more money...

The ride home should not be as damp, with the for burning off by then. However, I am doubtfull, as I am looking out the office window and I am having issues seeing over to the buildings across the street. Still no rain, though.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
Deckyon OP
The Raven

March 15, 2015 - Covered Bridge Road - Video

Here is part of the ride I took yesterday after getting home from the cabin trip. It was too beautiful of a day to do anything else. Went all over Southern Indiana and all around Louisville. This is part of Covered Bridge Road, which is about 5 minutes from my house.

Deckyon screwed with this post 03-16-2015 at 12:47 PM
Old 03-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Deckyon OP
The Raven

Natural Bridge and Red River Gorge - 03/21/2015-03/22/2015

Here is a shot of my camp. Everything worked GREAT! Only a couple tweaks. I went with a full load out for 5 days, so I know I can carry the weight easy enough. Some of the stuff was extra and wont be needed. But, I know what IS needed. A full ride report coming in a couple days, when the video is compiled.

This last shot was from an overlook along the Nada Tunnel Overlook. Was beautiful!

Old 03-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
Guvment mule
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Say dude,is that tent a Eureka Taron? I just bought a Taron 3 haven't had a chance to use it yet. You like? gona try to take it to Ark soon as it stops raining. would like to get up your way this summer and do some camping.Kaintucky look like it would be some great camping and riding. I want to see the big cave too.
Guvment mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Deckyon OP
The Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvment mule View Post
Say dude,is that tent a Eureka Taron? I just bought a Taron 3 haven't had a chance to use it yet. You like? gona try to take it to Ark soon as it stops raining. would like to get up your way this summer and do some camping.Kaintucky look like it would be some great camping and riding. I want to see the big cave too.
It is actually the Eureka Midori Solo. It worked great and there was enough room.

KY has a ton of roads and it could take weeks to do. There is the Icebreaker Campout next weekend in Cave City, KY.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
IrishXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hey, we were in the same area today! I was just east of Stanton this afternoon. I skipped the NADA tunnel and just spent all day falling over in the mud and snapping the previous owner's ganky luggage mounts on the bike.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:01 AM   #9
Deckyon OP
The Raven

Wink Blessings on Easter

As many know, I am not a religious person. There is no love lost between me and the commercial religious organizations out there. That does not mean I don’t believe there is some other power out there that holds some influence over our lives, I just hate giving it a name. So on Sunday, while most of the US was on their way to church, I left the house at about 9:00 AM to head to Bloomington, IN to visit the Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Cultural Center.

So when I left the city and headed north, it was about 40 degrees. A lot warmer than it was last weekend when I headed down to Cave City. There was virtually no traffic getting out of Louisville and running through southern Indiana. I was in and out of Salem not looking back. At one point, not long after I took the photo at the top, the GPS wanted me to turn off the road I was on and head down a much smaller one, IN-235 (I believe). Well, I got my first water crossing – unintentionally. One of the streams in the area had blown its banks and was flowing right over the road. I looked, could see the road and lines all the way across, so I figured, go for it. I took it slow, kept the wheel straight, and crossed the stream. Got a little wet, but was no worse for the wear. Besides, Raven needed a bath. The problem came in with the 2nd part – fast moving water, and I could not see the road or lines at all. It was also about 50 feet across. Nope, not alone. I turned around and headed back to the other road I was on to find another way around.

This is why I love putting a destination in the GPS, but then heading wherever. It will reroute me as needed, so I can take all the different roads I want to. Well, I continued north, eventually hitting US-50 which took me to IN-446, through Hoosier National Forest and the Monroe Reservoir and into Bloomington. I headed north, took a little side road down a gravel path that lead for a couple miles on a ridge above the lake that ended at a Boy Scout camp. It was closed for the season, so I grabbed a couple shots and headed back. I continued up 446 and hit the bridge crossing Monroe Reservoir and with the great skies and clean air, got some awesome shots. Again, got on the bike and continued on, leaving the reservoir in the background. My goal was only a few miles away.

As I pulled into the TMBCC, I saw the colors and different shrines and people quietly making their way around the grounds. This is one time I am glad the NC700 is not a loud bike. I pulled into the parking lot of the main temple and went inside. The monks and their teacher were performing what looked like a blessing on a family’s new baby. I waited outside the main hall for them to finish. Once done, the teacher and one of the other monks came out and performed a blessing ritual on my motorcycle. It was amazing and I really felt moved. They asked all about it, astounded there was no clutch or gear lever. A few more monks came out, they all got photos of the bike, me and their teacher. I did not take any photos while on their grounds. It just felt wrong. I thanked them all for their time and gave them a donation for their center.

From there it was on into Bloomington. I just wanted a quick ride through the town, 3rd street and Kirkwood, then headed south on US37 to Mitchell and Spring Mill State Park. It took me about 30 minutes or so to get there from Bloomington, but that was fine. $7 (for a motorcycle?) to the rangers at the gate and I was riding into Spring Mill. I went to the Donaldson Cave picnic area for a quick bite. I had thrown my stove and a Mountain House Chilli Mac in my bags, so I boiled up some water and had a nice quick lunch. It had gotten quite warm at this point, so I took off the Freeze Out layer off and threw it in the saddlebags.

Once done with lunch, I rode around the park, passing the Inn and then down to the pioneer village. Since I still had just over 2 hours of riding to get home, I did not walk around the village, as it was 3pm already and I wanted to be home before it got dark. I rode out of the village and around to where the old pioneer graveyard is located. Here are a couple more shots of the graveyard.

Finally, I decided to go ahead and turn south again and make my way back into town. It was about 3:30 or so when I got out of the park and back on the road. I hit some familiar roads, some detours (high water) and was back in southern Indiana a couple hours later. I wanted a beer and to relax a bit, and while the first couple places I was going to stop were closed, I ended up just caving and going to BW3’s. Besides, there is one right by my house. I got to BW3’s just after 6pm (9 hours on the road, for those keeping score) and had a couple Sam Adams seasonal’s and some chicken with their Caribbean Jerk sauce. 30 minutes later and I am at the house, and clearing off the bike.

All in all, it was a fantastic day, the weather and traffic could not have been better.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Deckyon OP
The Raven

Here is the map of the path I ended up taking.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,806
Good traveling , with a bike blessing bonus !
I see you signed up for the RDV , I'll be there , 1st beer's on me.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Deckyon OP
The Raven

I am, I cannot wait. First long trip for me, also first major gathering! Will have some bourbon in the saddlebags for the evenings.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
I am, I cannot wait. First long trip for me, also first major gathering! Will have some bourbon in the saddlebags for the evenings.
Sounds great, keep up the good work!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #14
Deckyon OP
The Raven

In order to get things ready for this weekend, I wanted to give Raven a quick wash and get a couple more stickers on her. It does not take long to give her a good wash. In fact, drying takes longer (this time I used a towel, not wind). I got done, got the stickers on and now it is starting to really look personal. They are both from ADVRider.com and the guy on the bike is on both sides in the same place. I wanted to put him on the front fairings, but the only place he would fit is where I am saving for my Dragon decals I will get in a couple weeks. Tomorrow I get everything packed up. Can’t wait for Saturday morning and to get out of town! It is off to Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge for me and a few others this weekend. Getting out of Louisville while it is invaded by KY Derby goers. It's just safer this way.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #15
Deckyon OP
The Raven

Friday after work I needed to run a few errands and stop by my parents’ house to pick up some paperwork. As they live in Prospect, I decided to take a different route home than I normally take and run down Wolf Pen Branch road. It is a zig-zag of a road in the north eastern part of Jefferson County on the outskirts of Louisville. There is a definite yin and yang of houses along this road as you head east. You can pass by a mufti-million dollar mansion and across from it will be barely a hovel. Well, I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of a for sale sign and in the background this large white house in the middle of a field. Even from the road it looked abandoned. I turned around and turned in and decided to take a couple photos. Neat little find on the edge of a populated city.

This photo was taken from the rear of the house. I did not attempt to go inside, or get any closer to the house. I didn’t want to take any chances of setting off an alarm or getting hurt.