User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
TheDecepticon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Is this a bad idea or what...?

I had been wanting to get away for a while, and jostling five other guys in my work group for holidays and other work commitments meant it would have to be August 1st to 3rd. Not the most ideal time of the year for a trip here in Southern Aus.

As it turns out, the day before we left, the weather went rotten. High winds, thunderstorms, heaps of rain and hail, rock slides and trees down in the hills, roofs off, no power.......you get the picture.

Friday dawned and the wind seemed to have died down and there was even a bit of blue sky and sunshine poking through the clouds. Early start for my lad and I, away before 9am to meet in Springton by 10am.

Ready to go, the mascot will lead us out.(please cue any cat joke you feel is warranted here.)

Paul can be seen in the background getting some fuel in Springton and that cloud doesn't look good.

You can see the hail bouncing off me as we leave Springton, luckily it was only small stuff.

A bit further down the road we got to this. I think we were all waiting for someone else to make the move. Didn't happen.

Sorry about the water on the lens, was a bad day for video!

We back tracked and hit the bitumen, making our way to Sedan and then to Swan Reach for a ferry ride.

The weather tends to clear up as you get over the hills from Adelaide, and the sunshine and better skies were a welcome relief from the poor conditions of earlier. Climbing out of Swan Reach to the cliff top road saw an instant change for the worse again as the wind picked right up, making riding difficult as one minute you were leaning into the wind by about 20 degrees from the vertical, the next you were trying to pull the bike back onto your side of the road and stay upright. We turned off onto the dirt in time to feel the high wind chill and see a massive black cloud dumping tons of water about a kilometer up from where we were. We nearly pulled the pin right there. Paul made a good call and we waited a couple of minutes and the cloud wizzed off and the wind dropped away again. OK, time to get the hammer down, and we did.

While belting up the track, I was watching my son's dry bag slowly slipping off the back of the bike and bouncing and flexing the rear guard. He's a hard kid to catch when he has his head of steam. The road in this section has large limestone marbles and I couldn't get enough speed up to get close to him on the short straights to stop him. I must of tried for about 3 km's when finally a wide long section appeared and I slipped by him and we pulled up and got it sorted, it was getting to the dangerous scenario time. From there it was a good clear run to Loxton for supplies of the fuel, food and beverage type.

We took off out of Loxton and pressed on towards the border and into Murray Sunset National Park, heading up towards the Sturt Highway on the Taparoo Track. As we were heading up, I pointed out an emu I had spotted off the road to my left so my lad was aware of it. Although I had done a scan, I did not see the one on my right until he absolutely flew across the road in front of me....scared the you know what out of me. Got to be honest, he was going like the clappers, would have killed me I reckon, I couldn't have missed him by more than 2 meters!! Across the highway and up through more of the park until we pulled in to a great camping spot on the Lindsay River.

After getting setup and gathering some wood for a nice warming fire, it was time to cook some good Aussie tucker after a long cold days ride.

We woke up Saturday morning to gorgeous skies and sunshine, although it was below zero and the ground was frozen over.

After brekky, we hit the tracks and wound our way along the river to Lindsay Island, then worked our way to Lake Cullullaraine for fuel and lunch. Paul ran out of fuel about 1.5km out from the servo, however; with some bushman's magic, he got it going again and we trundled in.

Not too many more pics, we were having too much fun riding to stop and take heaps. We did pull up at Lock 8 for a brief rest before working our way back to camp for the day.

It was then settling down for the night with another great campfire BBQ. Tomorrow is the ride home, heading back to the hum drum of the big city.

Mist over the river in the morning, another night below zero.

Early morning fire before packing up and heading off.

On the way back, it was the lads turn for a close call. Riding behind him doing about 80 kph, all I could do was watch as a massive 'roo, taller than the rider and the bike, bounced out of the scrub right in front of him. I don't know how he pulled it up......man that was close. I reckon Paul had a couple of close calls heading back out of the park Sunday morning too, as he was in the lead and the 'roos and emus were everywhere.

I do have more video, although it is not the best due to the weather, so that is all for now. I hope you enjoy reading about it as much as we did getting away.

TheDecepticon screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 06:38 AM
TheDecepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Nice RR, with some nice photos there on the river... Thanks for sharing

There is some great riding and fantastic camps out that neck of the woods!

Cheer
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
GTV630
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Yes! That's the spirit - after all, it is an "Adventure Ride", not a "i only ride in perfect weather" ride. Funny for us state side to hear about emu and roos running out in the road!
GTV630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
TheDecepticon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys, was great fun.

Although emus and 'roos are often encountered on the main highways, we were certainly well off the main road on mostly tighter 4wd type tracks, which is where we encountered most of them.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
KandJRacingSolutions
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks!

I really enjoyed your story. Since I've never been to Australia, I even enjoyed looking at the stores, signs, etc. I'd be interested to know what you were cooking in the pictures exactly. I can see the scalloped potatoes. The meat looks like beef, what are the sausages? You sure seem to eat well on you camping trip.
KandJRacingSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
jredford
Ninja Racer

Oddometer: 299
Yoos guys have a lot of shit down there that want to kill you, right?

Did anything try on you recent bad venture?
FZ1 2006
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
TheDecepticon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandJRacingSolutions View Post
I really enjoyed your story. Since I've never been to Australia, I even enjoyed looking at the stores, signs, etc. I'd be interested to know what you were cooking in the pictures exactly. I can see the scalloped potatoes. The meat looks like beef, what are the sausages? You sure seem to eat well on you camping trip.
I've never been to America and I do the same when I see pictures you guys post.

The meat is lamb cutlets, sausages are called BBQ sausages, I guess scraps ground and turned into sausages.

In the other pot is a mix my step mum used to make. Whole peeled tomatoes, diced, mixed with some sauted onions and bacon.

That was our first night and we had some left over for the next night, lucky for us. I did have dried noodles, cup of soups, beef jerky and muslei bars for when the fresh food ran out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
Yoos guys have a lot of shit down there that want to kill you, right?

Did anything try on you recent bad venture?
I can report that apart from the random dive bombing of the kangaroos and emus on us as we rode by, we did not have any encounters with any of Australia's quite deadly creatures, like brown, tiger, copper head or adder type snakes or funnel web or red back spiders. We did see quite a large huntsman, or possibly a wolf spider dive out of some of the wood we were burning, but they won't eat too much of you.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
KandJRacingSolutions
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecepticon View Post
I've never been to America and I do the same when I see pictures you guys post.

The meat is lamb cutlets, sausages are called BBQ sausages, I guess scraps ground and turned into sausages.

In the other pot is a mix my step mum used to make. Whole peeled tomatoes, diced, mixed with some sauted onions and bacon.

That was our first night and we had some left over for the next night, lucky for us. I did have dried noodles, cup of soups, beef jerky and muslei bars for when the fresh food ran out.

I can report that apart from the random dive bombing of the kangaroos and emus on us as we rode by, we did not have any encounters with any of Australia's quite deadly creatures, like brown, tiger, copper head or adder type snakes or funnel web or red back spiders. We did see quite a large huntsman, or possibly a wolf spider dive out of some of the wood we were burning, but they won't eat too much of you.
That sounds good! I love lamb (but only eat in on special occasions here because it's expensive) and who wouldn't like tomatoes, onions and bacon? I might have to try that myself. Thanks for the reply.
KandJRacingSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
I was half expecting a croc to drag one of you into the river! Wild ride and nice report.
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #10
TheDecepticon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
I was half expecting a croc to drag one of you into the river! Wild ride and nice report.
It's too cold down here for crocs. In the northern parts, Darwin, Cairns, Townsville maybe, but not here. Thank god!!!

Glad you liked the ride and the report.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
snoman32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Great RR!
Also never been to Australia so enjoyed the pix and stories. Love the pix on the ferry, that XR is packed lol!
snoman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #12
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 716
Great RR - excellent mascot, need more pictures of that guy. :)
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
TheDecepticon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys, glad your enjoying some of what there is to see here.

Jenn, I'm not really a cat lover, it is my wife's cat. I must admit he is a nice little blondie and is ever so tolerant of the kids.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 AM   #14
Rickoo5
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for sharing. Great read.

Rickoo5
2014 F 800 GS
Rickoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #15
Croney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Great report and fantastic photos. Makes me a bit jealous seeing how great the camping is...... You can keep the rain though ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPOT - http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...lCtPyqSCbXkmID
Croney is offline   Reply With Quote