User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Huggin' Jugs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Autumn in New York

The trip started out cold and wet. We left work early to beat the rain but as fate would have it we rode straight into the cold, wet misery that would beleaguer us for the next 150 miles. Fate as in we didn't bother to check the weather that closely. We headed north on 522 past Berkley Springs and the Castle http://www.berkeleyspringscastle.org...ngsCastle.html. The rain didn't cooperate for pictures of it but the history is a good read. Fortunately, it's close enough for a future trip. The GPS or I got confused at some point and we wound up on Rt 35 East which parallels 522. Our dumb luck because it was a great road and the weather opened up to some great fall scenery. We were back on 522 for a brief stint and then it was the rush hour in Sunbury. Traffic was slow but we still got a great view of the Susquehanna at dusk. Too bad I couldn't get a picture. Then it was on to 180 to 220 to make time. Not much to see in the dark but Sayre was a sight for sore eyes at 10pm. The staff at the Candlewood Suites was waiting for us and Jordan even had directions to a great pub in Waverly, The Rail House Restaurant and Tap Room. I highly recommend the pepper burger.

The next morning it was off to Elmira for breakfast at Lights Bakery. We stopped off at Kingsbury Cyclery to visit the owner who was a family friend. He gave us directions to a great road just north, Texas Hollow Road. Then we were off to Combs Hill Rd and then over to see the sailplanes at Harris Hill. After that we rode north to Odessa in search of Texas Hollow Rd. Lots of great photo ops.

Later it was off to Ithaca to search for the elusive gorges near Cornell. They proved all too elusive and the traffic was heavy. After a gallant effort we headed back towards Watkins Glen and some great views of Seneca Lake. I did manage to see one gorge from the other side of town. In Watkins Glen we had a late lunch at the House of Hong. The spring rolls were about the size of burritos and the food was average. Still, it filled the tank. There was a car show of some sort in town and we enjoyed the parade of old cars, trucks and hot rods. We headed back to Ithaca for a D1 hockey game between IUP and Ithaca. Ithaca is the boyhood home of Dustin Brown. After the game it was a cold ride back to Sayre. In October it seems every dark house in towns we rode through looked haunted. Halloween can't be far away.

The next morning there was frost on the beemer as we left Sayre for home. It was back to Elmira for breakfast, a quick tour around the college campus and the cemetery (current home of Mark TWain). We jumped on 86 east and decided to abandoned our initial plans to head towards Olean and then south through Bradford. Instead we jumped on 15 South. I remembered the towns of Wellsboro and Jersey Shore from earlier planning so we jumped on 6 West to 287 South. It was a great road the follows what appears to be some great trout fishing spots. Then it was back onto 220 to 15 South. It was right outside of Harrisburg that I heard the sound. A squeak at 75 mph that got my attention. We were on 22 at this point heading into Harrisburg and at the stop light I noticed the familiar sluggishness when I tried to move the wheel. I had a flat.

We pulled to the side and started looking for the leak. Sadly, it was in the valve stem. With few options on a Sunday evening I broke out my MOA Anonymous book and dialed. Len arrived and we found a suitable replacement at the local Advanced Auto Parts. After utilizing the Helge Pederson tire iron to break the bead the valve stem was replaced and the tire aired up in short order. What should've been at least a night's stay in Harrisburg turned into a 2 hour layover. Enjoy the Corky's, Len! You earned 'em. We arrived home without any other excitement.

As an aside we used our new Sena SMH-5 and SMH-20 communications. It's the first time I've ever had the luxury and it made the trip that much better.

Autumn in New York - give it a try sometime. You won't be disappointed.

A little drop of rain

It gets better.. I swear

Church .. figured we were baptized anyway

US Silica plant in Berkley Springs, WV

World famous Light's Bakery - a good way to start the day

Elmira College Student Housing, ca. 1985

Combs Hill Road

... I thought that shit was illegal?

Politicians in their native habitat

Waiting on the sailplanes...

Texas Hollow Road

AdvRider salute in Watkins Glen

Montour Falls

How did a nice kid from Ithaca wind up in CA?

A little college hockey to round out the evening.

Frost on the beemer .. must be time to go home.

All is right with the world...

Valve stem failure...

Nomenclature: 2014-F800GS tire iron

First trip report complete. I may have to do this more often...

Huggin' Jugs screwed with this post 10-14-2014 at 05:04 PM Reason: Added route specific information and a couple more pics.
Huggin' Jugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Huggin' Jugs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some video

I managed some video of a sailplane on final at Harris Hill. The plane is just left of center and is a little hard to spot at first. Amazingly quiet.

Sailplane landing

Huggin' Jugs screwed with this post 10-18-2014 at 06:25 PM
Huggin' Jugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 85
You can't beat the mountains in NY state or eastern Canada for color during the Fall.
Magnificent.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
canadasax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Very nice,
How much longer do you have for a riding season?
Here in western Canada we maybe have another week or two.
canadasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 776
Terrific RR. I really enjoyed the photos - captured autumn upstate perfectly.
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Huggin' Jugs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the kind words but all I had to do is point and shoot. The bucket list trip is gonna be Cabot Trail sometime.

As for the riding season, I'm in Virginia so as long as there's no precip with freezing temps I'm good. ...gotta love Gerbings!