Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #16
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 44,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS Canada
I'm in snowy Alberta. I get out to BC for group rides fairly often. I'm on shiftwork so I can string some decent time off together. I Ride mostly Kelowna and North. Really enjoy the areas North of Kamloops, the back corridor into Whistler, Lillooet and area, Marble Canyon etc. Lots to see as I'm sure you could tell me the same about your trails.

I have to ask, Favorite Tire combo? Lotsa variety in the answers I've received. My riding bias is 70% street - 30% dirt...
You're riding my old stomping grounds in BC. Fun stuff. Would not recommend the 270's for that terrain as they won't stand up to the sharp rocks that makes up the trails there. They're good for Ontario with our messier conditions. Look to the TKC80's if you're gonna do that much road, as they'll still do a great job offroad in the Highlands and yet still give you good road manners.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #17
ibcmcl
Idaho Back Country

Oddometer: 17
Anakee tire pressure on the DR650S

I hate to bring up the issue of tire pressures again, but, how much pressure should I run in the rear anakee tire on this bike. At 25 pounds, it gets HOT.
Doesn't seem normal to me.
Any info is appreciated.

ibcmcl
ibcmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #18
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperMon
Sold my '03 DR650 last year.

DUMB DUMB DUMN DUMB DUMB.
what did you replace it with? and why do you miss it so much?

TV-free for 5 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:41 PM   #19
MMcnamara
Where does that go?

Oddometer: 2,000
Does anyone know where all the kickstart only DR650S, not SE, went? How about if the old ~5.5 gallon tank fits the newer SE models?

Mark
Old 06-25-2005, 12:43 PM   #20
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,769
I've got a '90, which isn't too much different from a '93. Nice bike. I'll second the part about remembering to adjust the balancer shaft chain. There's some good info about the early bikes in my thread about the '90 DR's from a few days ago.
-AkBrian
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #21
swoopergirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Nice job on the Jessies!

"I put some old Jessie's on mine. I have had no problems with mine yet. Don't expect any. More Suzuki pics."

---------------------------------above is a quote, damned newbie--------------------------------------------------------------

Good job, the bike looks great....howz it been since mounting??

Cool, just had to stop in and take a peek.....there is a 1990 DR650S in my area for $2800CAN and I don't know if it is a good price, or a good fit for me. I know this is an old thread, but it seemed more appropriate to bump instead of re-write one. Anyone think a 5'6" "stronger than most shit" wannabe ADVrider would have trouble with the size(seat height=34.8", inseam=31")....height as well as the weight(I hear the '90's were the heavy ones) I would mainly be onroad then wanna start some dirt road practicing. I have been mountain biking for 11 years on the west coast of Canada.....I believe some of that will translate to motos.

If anyone replies, gimme gimme more photos of DR650's!!!
'92 ZR550

swoopergirl screwed with this post 10-23-2007 at 08:23 PM
swoopergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #22
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
I've got a '95.

Good to know about the balancer chain. I'll look at that tonight, since I'm going to recheck my valves. I adjusted them Saturday, but they are really tappy, so I'm going to double check.

I've built a homemade rack for mine, I have some pelican cases mounted to the sides, and a Givi case on top.
It had 4k miles when I bought it about a year ago, now it has 14k, it's been a ton of fun.

I've been pondering the big acerbis tank... I'm thinking about trying to order one with my next paycheck.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #23
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
I've got a '95.

Good to know about the balancer chain. I'll look at that tonight, since I'm going to recheck my valves. I adjusted them Saturday
Are the clearances and procedures the same for the "old" engine (95 & before) as they are for the "new" one? (96 & beyond) I downloaded a pdf manual a while back......but the only one I found was for the "new" motor.

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #24
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Are the clearances and procedures the same for the "old" engine (95 & before) as they are for the "new" one? (96 & beyond) I downloaded a pdf manual a while back......but the only one I found was for the "new" motor.
Procedure is about the same, clearance is different, i think.

'95 and earlier are (IIRC) .003-.005" for exhaust and intake. I set all of mine to .004" and it seems to be happy.

(My clickiness was actually because I left one of the spark plug boots off and it was grounding to the frame. D'OH!)

ibcmcl - I've been runnning my Anakees at ~30psi, and they are working fine. I've run them up to 40 psi on trips with lot's of luggage. The front is at about 10k miles, the rear at least 6k, and I think I'm going to get another 4k out of them. I guess that makes up for the slightly higher initial purchase price.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #25
knybanjo
kinda slow

Thanks....but...........

Quote:
The main thing is to keep an eye on the balance chain adjustment every 4-5,000km's. Apart from that regular servicing should be all it needs.
I'm not familiar with the balance chain adjustment.

Can anybody elaborate? How about posting that excerpt from a manual?

please........

knybanjo screwed with this post 06-13-2007 at 10:01 AM
Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #26
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Thanks....but...........

I'm not familiar with the balance chain adjustment.

Can anybody elaborate? How about posting that excerpt from a manual?

please........
PM me an e-mail addy and I'll try to get you something this evening.

I didn't do it, because you have to drain the oil and remove one of the engine covers, so I'll wait until next oil change, then I guess I'll just check it at each oil change following.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #27
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,675
Stick 2 it

i ride a 02 DR650SE ,I 've been riding Enduro for 23 years ,best bike ever so far ,i was gonna purchase a bimmer GS1200R but the weight is major factor if u do dual sport ,so i stick to my Suzuki here's why : easy to fix ,cheap on parts & labor ( $ 0 if u do it urself ) ,very good handeling off rd / on rd ,light maintenance in comparing to the beating moto go through ,my 650 have a lot of modifications ,competition pipe ,5 gallons acrylic tank ( LIGHT WEIGT ) i rjeted the carb. ,racing hand guard ,k/n air filter ,gps ( magellin 3000 ) , engin guard ,new tires with rear tire heavy compound rubber ; note here that i notice i am going through a lot of rear tire ,cause i ride a lot of enduro ,adv. riding in the Arizona deserts . In conclusion DR650 is a bad ass bike ,with some modifications u can turn into a crazy BAD ASS BIKE

Eddy .
Phoenix ,Arizona.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #28
knybanjo
kinda slow

How often have y'all found your valve clearances to be out of spec?

I bought my old '93 a year ago with 15k on it....just checked clearance for the 1st time with 28k on the clock now and everything is in spec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
'95 and earlier are (IIRC) .003-.005" for exhaust and intake. I set all of mine to .004" and it seems to be happy.
I will check that balance chain next oil change....I doubt it's ever been checked.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #29
bigdumbguy
Adventurer

I'm a DR 650S NooB

I just bought an old 1991 DR650S about a week ago,it has 4662 mi on the odo,i hope it is accurate,like not run with everything stripped off for years-n-years,doesn't appear to have been.......
Needs a new rear shock ,because the shaft corroded and ripped up the seals,any info on whether this is rebuildable would be appreciated,aftermarket may be a better investment since it is a somewhat high dollar item either way.
Going to do a fork rebuild "just for good measure",maybe a fork brace will be added also,sources?
The brakes are full of black goo from being stored improperly,and bled too infrequently.
I haven't ridden it much yet,because I like to give a bike a good going through before I take it out and get it up to speed.You never know what kind of silly things can be done to a bike in the time this one has been out there.
Need to change the oil and check for chunks,get the side covers off and check for chunks and other "sediment"accumulation...etc.etc...

I do have a shop manual that came with it,but the pics are awful.I need to check the balancer chain and valve clearances,the manual makes it look simple.
Any information about the intricacies of these jobs would be appreciated,like do the gaskets need to be replaced when you adjust the valves,or is it possible to reuse themon the acces covers?.
I know I will need a gasket set to pull off the side cases.
So far it seems to run good,gobs of power,just waiting for a gasket set and new oil filters to do the jobs I mentioned above.
Any info on these things I am going to do would be appreciated,like what the heck are"emulators" for front forks?.
One more little detail,I am very cheap,I do everything myself.
bigdumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #30
bigdumbguy
Adventurer

Here's a pic of the DR

Pic-o the DR I just recently bought...
Attached Images

bigdumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote