Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #46
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
The old DR is a super reliable bike, but parts are tough to get. It does not feel the same the new DRs though, the ergo's on the new DR are more modern and refined. I had a 92' and never minded the kick start. I sold it for $1300, If you can find one, that's the price you want to pay.
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #47
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
I recently bought a '95 DR650SE ('lectric leg) for too much $. I just couldn't resist. It's a great old bike. So far I've piped (came w/ a slipon, not installed), jetted (keintech.com, same kit as new ones), chain/sprocketed (your basic Parts Unlimited stuff), DRZ250 tail-lighted (that was a bitch), fenderectomized, LED turn-sig'd, de-stickered, and fat-barred (Flea Market deal). I still need to redo the frontend; have seals and stiffer springs (keintech), waiting on forkbrace, shift lever, and brake line (WTF is up with DualStar?).

I can't imagine you'd be sorry, unless you're like me that you spend so much money pissing with it you coulda bought a new LC4! Tell you what, though, even a new DR needs a lot of the stuff I had to buy for mine.

I'm just trying to resist a 6-gal tank and big, dual headlights. Well, that and adding a big GS to the garage.

tslewisz screwed with this post 08-09-2007 at 12:41 PM
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #48
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Nothing wrong with the older DR's. But they are vastly different to the '96 & onwards models, sharing almost no interchangable parts. I've owned both, the earlier ones had more top end power, but were less tractable off idle (stalled easier in slow going). They were heavier too. But they did come better equipped, with large tank, bashplate, fairing, carry rack etc as standard, so they are very good value.

Details of the various year models:
http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR650.shtml
Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #49
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
thanks this is exactly what I was interested in finding out
most info I read on the net is on the more recent bikes

well let's hope I can work out a deal that works for all parties

any major flaws to look out for on this model? where should I look for parts etc.?
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #50
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,961
I've got a 90 DR650S that doesn't see much use any more since I bought my Wee, but I love the bike anyway. It has a massive gas stock gas tank, skidplate, and rear rack. The stock rear shock sucks, I replaced it with one from progressive. You really have to gear the bike down, as the stock gearing its just too tall geared for the way the engines tuned (no low end).
Once you get the kick starting routine down, you'll wonder why they ever bothered to change them to electric start. MIne fires with just a half assed lazy kick.

On my 90 (yours may be different) you pull the decompressor lever down till it locks, then slowly stroke the engine just till the lever pops back up, then let the kick starter come back up to the top, and then kick.

Watch the balance shaft chain adjustment, you have to pull the side cover off to do it (at least on a 90), Don't let it get to far out of adjustment.

I've never not been able to get a suzuki part from my dealer, but they will have to be ordered.
AkBrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #51
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

new DS rider... new bike! bought an older DR - let the fun begin?!

Howdy all
just wanted to reintroduce myself as the proud new owner of a semi-venerable 93 DR650

I must say that after reading for a long time about duals sports on this site I am pleased as hell to be able to finally have a proper machine

from my research I have already gathered that the pre 96 DR's have a lot less info floating around about them than their younger and more numerous brothers
but the price fit my budget and i think the bike will fit my perceived riding needs...
mostly streets and light trails
and it will be a good bike to learn to REALLY ride on ( I would hate to crunch my unlce's 70 bonnie)
this bike came "pre-loved"
no worries about taking the shine off and getting after some miles

however as a new owner AND new to the modern bike scene in general
I might need a little guidance as to where to go for parts and upgrades

if anyone has some plastic parts off of an older DR they want to part with lemme know
right now I am going over the bike
it has about 18K on it
the fellow I bought it from resuscitated it from neglect about 2 years ago and rode it around as a daily commuter until he found a killer deal on a newer DR
he did the following: new fork seals, flushed the brakes, new brake pads, re-winding of the stator, new regulator, new bars, new tires, new chain, dynojet kit, progressive front springs, new fork boots,

it needs a new battery but starts up without too much fuss on the charger (kickstart- hooray!)

I haven't had too much time to look over the bike but everything externally looks pretty good
the word I keep hearing is to check the balancer chain (which I will do when I change the oil)
anything I should I should be looking out for besides tightening bolts and changing the oil?

I need some new grips and a new brake lever
is there anywhere good to find parts online?
I hear the local suzuki dealer will have most things bike specific
which gaskets/replaceables will I need on hand for spares?
any tips for the uninitiated into 90's restoration

somehow I need to glue new needles on the speedo and tach which both work fine otherwise
and sooner or later i want to trick out the bike with a round light or maybe a buell headlight setup
maybe weld up some sort of pannier rack, amd some handgaurds
then
hit the road to mexico.......

but first things first

certainly I won't have much to add for my "knowledge base" but would it be worth putting together a pre96 DR thread?
the info is scattered to hell and back over the net and pretty hard to find

I do love ADVrider and find the interface really easy to deal with and would now really like to talk about 93 DR's
anyone interested?

here is the new scoot
thanks

Attached Images

nashopolis screwed with this post 08-13-2007 at 07:01 PM
Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #52
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Now what?! Simple. Get yourself a good set of gear (if you don't have it already), some bags, and then just ride the thing. Go on adventures, take pictures, and post them in Ride Reports. Don't worry about modding it, use your money to put miles on it. Ride it locally and get a feel for it before going to Mexico.

ronayers.com and cheapcycleparts.com are good places to get Suzuki parts at discount prices. rockymountainatv.com has a lot of aftermarket stuff. thumpertalk.com might have a lot of info on maintaining your bike.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #53
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,961
Congrats, I'm sure you'll like the bike.
First thing to do is get an official, model specific, Suzuki shop manual for the bike. You should be able to order one form your dealer ($), or get one copied and burned to a CD (pdf files) off Ebay (cheap), do a search "dr650".

Long live kick start!
AkBrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #54
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

thanks Akbrian I guess I took your advice :)

I appreciate the links to stores... stupid as it sounds I feel like I am just learning where moto parts come from
(Happily I figured out where babies came from a long time ago)

yep i once I go over the bike and tighten the loose parts I will hit the local roads

thankfully I have all the gear
infact I probably have more $ in my gear than my new bike

but whatever hospitals are expensive

I have lots of local time on the Ural and some time on the triumph
but I always look forward to more !!!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #55
daltonzach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
don't forget www.bikebandit.com for those weird little parts that only oem has. exact same prices as the dealers and no retard behind the parts counter. no offense to any parts people, just that the dealer here hires the kids that couldn't catch the short bus. ride, take pics, have a blast, repeat, no particular order.

daltonzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 AM   #56
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Cool bike, have fun with it

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #57
bwwoodard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
DR 650 Evolution

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, but in gereral has the DR 650 changed very much (mechanically)? I have seen many service manuals that vary in the year models that they cover (i.e.- 96 to 02, 97 to 01, and 96 to 06 etc.). I have an '06 and was wondering if there has been many mechanical changes over the years.

Thanks!
bwwoodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #58
singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Not much has changed since 96 to 07.Have a look at the
DR 650 thread in Thumpers.
singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #59
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,573
Of to Thumpers

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #60
SteveBroskey
Teach me this knowledge

Oddometer: 541
n00b to DR650

I just snagged a '91 DR650. I'm still getting a manual and haven't dug into her yet (won't start, busy weekends last week.5) - are the differences between the "old" and "new" (96+) models so drastic that I shouldn't even bother with the DR650 thread? I'm as far as page 25.... there's 500 pages????
SteveBroskey is offline   Reply With Quote