Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
The only spooky surprise I recall of coming down from the pass was a nice, tight 20MPH corner I came into a little hot and am still leaned over -- GRATED BRIDGE DECK.

That was sorta surprising. Getting better at riding in the wind too, elbows up works a lot better than hunkering down behind the windscreen.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,601
Thanks posting the pics of all your packing systems. I'm always checking out other peoples set ups looking for the perfect solution for packing. One thing is to take less junk but I have a hard time leaving home without taking way more than I need to.

Looking forward to the next post and deception pass. That's a beautiful area.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win
The only spooky surprise I recall of coming down from the pass was a nice, tight 20MPH corner I came into a little hot and am still leaned over -- GRATED BRIDGE DECK.

That was sorta surprising. Getting better at riding in the wind too, elbows up works a lot better than hunkering down behind the windscreen.
Yeah, that bridge deck almost got me too - ooop!

Hominid screwed with this post 09-03-2010 at 07:34 PM
Hominid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
Thanks posting the pics of all your packing systems. I'm always checking out other peoples set ups looking for the perfect solution for packing. One thing is to take less junk but I have a hard time leaving home without taking way more than I need to.

Looking forward to the next post and deception pass. That's a beautiful area.
My pleasure Ladybug. The ride report is a bit of work, but it's also fun. Glad to see at least one person is following the report.

It's interesting to see all the different solutions people come up with to haul their gear. Some of it comes down to the bike you're riding, of course, and the available add ons.

I always pack too much also

I love those Pelican Case side bags - very handy.

Slim was teasing me about hauling four 6 pound presto logs on one of recent adventures

Hominid screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 08:57 PM
Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #20
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Thumb

Jeez, someone is dragging their feet over finishing this ride report.

Some thoughts. Dropping into Lk Chelan brought back memories of years before. I came up very late one night to camp with friends on the lake. Dropping down into the lake around one in the morning in my Jeep with my wife, I stopped and was watching the lights on the horizon, it seemed a forest fire was burning nearby. Turns out, it was a year of exceptional solar activity and what we were seeing was the Northern Lights. In camp that night, it was nothing but blue and pink lights flashing full across the night, from horizon to horizon. Amazing. I spoke with my parents about this after the fact and as they lived in a look out tower in Oregon as newlyweds, they had seen the very same thing on many occasions.

At the Ross Lake overlook, as we paused to take in the view, a rider on a fully dressed Harley pulled in to say hello. Turns out the gentleman was headed home to Toronto! He said someone had told him to ride this road on the return. With that in mind, I said to ride HWY12 across Idaho. He said "Great, will do!" He had come across the continent via Canada and was headed home via the USA. He said he could run up to 800 miles a day, heck he could already be home. In the back of my mind, I hope he got other advice to ride scenic routes and is still on the road seeing the sights.

It was the first time since I was a child to run over the North Cascades Highway, not since 1978 have I traveled that road. I recall as a 12yo, that it was an incredible view and my memory was not incorrect. The green of Lk Diablo was not to be forgotten and every bit the amazing view I recalled. The color of that lake will leave a lasting impression of anyone that actually sees it.

I'm bummed that their was some miscommunication on this trip and Eric, aka Shadowman, aka eupson had to depart early and endure a slog down the freeways home.

On a personal note, the DR650 is a very capable bike and I'll always have something similar in the stable for the future, but I have to admit to tiring of being the slow bike in the pack on the road. A SV650N will probably join the stable to travel on road with this crew. That said, it looks like WetRider57, aka beestromrider or simply Mike is looking at some thing a little more offroad capable and I've sent him multiple craigslist links to screaming deals on DR650s all ready to hit the easy dirt.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go

243Win screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 05:39 PM
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #21
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,573
loving the report wetrider57!!!

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #22
PassengerPrincess
always up 4 the trip

Oddometer: 2
Whoa! WetRider57!

Diablo Lake is phenomenal! Love that glacial runoff- where ya goin' next?
PassengerPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #23
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dragging my feet

yeah, the report's taking a little longer than anticipated.

took a ride down to the Nisqually Delta yesterday then came home and watched the Husky football game while I worked on a killer batch of pasta sauce.

Checked out DR650 prices while at the dealer today. $5,700 plus tax, license, and that infamous document fee.

Those craigslist prices are a great deal. Especially for almost new bikes.

Back on the Rider Report tonight. Day 3 - 2nd half coming up.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #24
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie
loving the report wetrider57!!!

Shane
Thanks for checking in Shaggie.
More to follow
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #25
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassengerPrincess
Diablo Lake is phenomenal! Love that glacial runoff- where ya goin' next?
Slim's working on ideas for a trip around Vancuover Island.

Long term plans include a trip from Alaska back to Seattle
Old 09-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 - Second Half

Slim and I head West on 20 toward Deception Pass. Our plan is to stop at the state park there and check out the area. We debated the idea of spending the night on Whidbey Island, but felt we would have better luck avoiding the weather in the rain shadow along Hood Canal. The ultimate destination is Seal Rock campground near Brinnon via the Port Townsend Ferry.

Seal Rock Campground Milepost 305 Highway 101 104 miles

Deception Pass is pretty and the state park looks to have some pretty nice camps spots. Probably need to make reservations to get a spot on a summer weekend, though. Its a very popular destination.

Deception Pass Bridge

Deception Pass Bridge

Deception Pass Sate Park

We tour the campground then head down to the beach. Along the way we spot a P-3 Orion flying into the nearby Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. Apparently they were practicing touch n gos as we saw the airplane circle by several times while at the beach.

Deception Pass State Park

Deception Pass State Park

Clouds off Whidbey

As were standing at the beach a ranger comes cruising up from nowhere on his bicycle. He stops next us so we say hi, being the friendly guys we are. He hangs out for about a minute surveying the beach then pedals off to wherever he came from. Apparently he just wanted to make sure the scruffy bikers werent troublemakers? Maybe he just wanted to show off his sidearm?

Next up Port Townsend Ferry. We know when the next boat leaves and were cutting things a little close so we hustle down the road. Timing is perfect as we make it to the dock with about 10 minutes to spare. Luck o the Irish is with us again.

We meet up with another Vstrom rider waiting in line and have some fun comparing accessories. Hes got a custom seat made by Richs Custom Seats that I definitely am thinking about adding to my bike. Turns out Rich is a local guy who makes about 50 seats a month. Im going to have to look him up.

Time to get on the boat.

Port Townsend Ferry

As were standing there a guy comes up behind us and ask us if we want him to take a picture of Slim and I together. I hand him my camera and he takes a couple of shots. Nice guy. We stand around chatting a bit about were weve been and where were headed. Funny thing about having a couple of loaded up bikes. They seem to attract a lot of folks who are curious about the adventure at hand. Its fun talking with them.

Mutt and Jeff - which one's Mutt?

Port Townsend Ferry

Port Townsend Ferry

Port Towsend Ferry

As were heading upstairs the captain comes over the PA to tell motorcycle riders to return to the deck to stay next to their bikes because we have some rough water ahead and a cruise ship wake to cross. I take a second to grab a quick shot from the deck and figure I have time to run to bathroom for a quick pit stop since things look smooth at the moment. Apparently I was wrong.

Slims holding down the fort

As I head to the head the captain comes back on the PA. Rider with the yellow motorcycle return to the car deck! Your bike is about to fall over and if does its your dime! First of all my bike was not about to fall over. Slim was there keeping watch and a friendly and helpful deck hand was there as well. Secondly, I think the guy was just being an a$$ and took some pleasure in calling me out in front of a whole boat load of people. But hey, hes the captain its his boat. I hustle back to the car deck and the deck hand says no problem we got it. Like I said

Dreaded cruise ship

Cruise ship with silhouette

The cruise ship wake was pretty impressive. We all got splashed with salt water as we plowed through it. Still, I dont know that any of the bikes would have tipped over given that we were parked in first gear. We held onto the bikes just in case, though.

Im glad they have a plan

Slim hangs onto his bike

En route

As we cross I spot something breach the water in the distance. At first I think maybe a seal, but it didnt look right. Too small to be an orca. The wife of the guy who took our picture comes up and says something about dolphins. Sure enough we start spotting them left and right. I see about a dozen breaches as we sail on.

Port Townsend Ferry dock large building is the PT Post Office

Its getting late now so we hustle down the road. One problem I didnt get to use the bathroom on the ferry. At first Im thinking I can make it to the campground - not a chance. I have to pee so bad I cant stand it. Really makes riding safely difficult, ya know? I find a spot in the road to pull over what the heck were out in the country, right? Unfortunately, theres no good place for me to hide, but I gotta go NOW and the coast looks clear. No sooner do I get started than traffic picks up. Car after car flies by while mikey is hanging out for all to see. I can hear Slim cackling with glee in the background.

Business taken care of, we fly to Seal Rock, keeping an eye out for deer since its starting to get dark. Site number 36, right next to the water, is available so we pull in to claim it. I quickly empty my Pelican cases and buzz into town to pick up some firewood, instructing Slim to get us registered. Afterwards we set up our tents and get a fire going. It feels good to be in camp after a 270 mile day.

Drinks are mixed, dinner is cooked and we hang out enjoying the quiet campground. Quiet except for our rambling, of course. A raccoon wanders into camp, apparently attracted by the smell of food. Hes shy about coming too close, though. We burn down our most excellent fire, finish off our drinks, and I put all of the food and dishes into my side bags for safe keeping. We crash into our tents for a well earned night of sleep.

Wildlife spotted
Hawks
Eagles
Deer
Dolphins
Camp Raccoon
River rafter in Burlington who thought I looked mean

Day 4 the last day - to follow.

Hominid screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 09:30 PM
Old 09-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #27
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4 - Last Day on the Road

Last day on the road. I get up about dawn to answer natures call and snap a quick pic before crawling back into my tent for a couple more hours of sleep.

Dawn on Hood Canal

Getting up later I leave Slim to sleep in as I go for a photo walk around Seal Rock Campground.

Seal Rock Campsite

Trees at Seal Rock

Driftwood

Driftwood

Driftwood

Driftwood

Driftwood

Hood Canal Morning

DR650 with campsite #36 in background

Seal Rock has a number of nice campsites. The spots by the water are especially good. They have parking space for RVs and can also be used by tent campers. The tent, campfire, and picnic table areas are a short walk into the trees. Site # 36 is completely private with visual separation from the rest of the sites when sitting around the fire. It's definitely one of the best spots there.

Typical morning after chaos

Were late getting on the road today as both of us are moving kind of slow.

I let Slim lead the way Im content to trail behind. Our path leads us back to the Port Orchard area.

Seal Rock to Port Orchard 65 miles

We stop in Hoodsport on the way for a famous bacon cheeseburger at the Hoodsport burger shack. If youre in the area one of these burgers is a requirement! A bit pricey, but they make for excellent road food. They also make a good milkshake. This place does non-stop business on summer weekends with lots of riders stopping in for a break and sustenance.

Hoodsport burger shack - at the turnoff to Lake Cushman

The road takes us back toward Port Orchard and when Slim leads me through town Im wondering where the heck are we going? This isnt the way to his house. He has a tendency to take the scenic route. He led me along the water with a good view of the Bremerton shipyard across the bay. It was actually nice, if a bit unexpected. He leads me on to Manchester State Park, which Id never heard of before.

Port Orchard to Manchester and Southworth Ferry

Manchester State Park is an interesting place. Established as a military outpost before WWII it has a building that was used for torpedo storage. It was meant to protect against submarines, but I dont know if it was ever utilized as such.

Torpedo storage building

Arched windows

Command bunker

Command bunker

Command bunker

The command bunker, comprised of three crude rooms, housed a command center, communications room, and what was supposed to be a barracks room. I wouldnt have wanted to sleep here.

Exploration done, I request to be led to the Southworth ferry. Slim takes the scenic route, of course. This is where we part ways at the end of a fun journey. A good time was had by all.

Closing comments and pics from the ferry to follow.

Hominid screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 06:02 PM
Old 09-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #28
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4 - Ferry Pics - Closing Comments

I queue up for the Fauntleroy Ferry to head back to Seattle area. Slim heads home. The trip was great fun, but it felt good to be heading home to the comfort of my own bed. Here are a few pics from the ferry for your viewing pleasure.

Beestrom at the Fauntleroy ferry dock

Ferry dock

Safely on board no cruise ships to worry about here

Ferry pic

Fauntleroy ferry

Ferry Issaquah in the distance

Ferry deck

The Issaquah

The Issaquah

Upper deck seats

Beestrom parked next to older Suzuki

I got onto the ferry right after a kid riding an older Suzuki. He had to keep revving the engine on his rig just to keep it running. He mentioned needing some shorts because it was getting pretty warm out. I was thinking he had bigger concerns.

Bridge of the Klahowya

Hope we dont need to use this

Car deck fire station

Car deck fire station

Ferry arrives at the Fauntleroy dock and I make my way home. I make it to my driveway at 7pm whew. Felt fantastic to take a shower and then sink into my recliner to watch a movie.

Total trip length by my odometer was 697 miles. I enjoyed just about every mile of that. The only exception was on day one when I was suffering from the cold heading up to Stevens Pass. That was my fault. Ill know to be better equipped next time.

Thanks to Slim and Shadowman for being such excellent ride partners. Flexibility and good humor are a must as Im sure all would agree. They both get high marks in those areas.

As mentioned at the start, all of the destinations we visited could be broken into day trips or overnighters.

Leavenworth nice day trip or overnighter from Seattle camp at Tumwater
Diablo and Ross Lakes decent overnight trip from Seattle if camping
Hood Canal easy day trip from Seattle or South end.
Port Townsend pretty place to visit and easy trip from a lot of places.
Deception Pass a must visit for Seattle area adventurers

One note the North Cascades highway is best travelled from June to September. Its typically closed between November and May due to snow, ice, and avalanche danger. Ride it when its warm it has fantastic sweeping twisties that are a ton of fun when its dry and warm!

Thanks to all those who tuned in and those who replied to my first ride report.

Hominid screwed with this post 09-06-2010 at 07:06 PM
Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #29
PassengerPrincess
always up 4 the trip

Oddometer: 2
VERY nice pics!! give us more
PassengerPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #30
Hominid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassengerPrincess
VERY nice pics!! give us more
I'll be loading the rest of my pics on photobucket for those who want to see.