Aurora 4 21.05%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Trang OP
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Roadbook Holders

It doesn't seem like that long ago, that the options available for Roadbook holders was limited.

But now there seems to be a number of makes/models commercially available.

I am curious to hear peoples thought or otherwise in making a selection.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
MD.

Just lasts over time vs Touratech. No experience with other brands than these 2. Easy to replace belts etc and it just keeps on spinning forward. Not as good backwards Minimal moving parts/technology makes it fool proof to me. I tend to break things... by user/usage error
Old 02-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
F2R 730
Cheaper , more silent and more reliable than Touratechs rattling, little metal sprockets spitting roller. TT lastet like 5 years, than the little motors came loose...
Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 AM   #4
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
I've used the Touratech and the MD and the Aurora. The Aurora is by faaar the best unit. The features are great, it's very well made, water proof and dust proof without having to put bits of tape over the shaft holes and still have to blow it out with compressed air at the end of the day. The removable cartridge system is a brilliant innovation and the ability to easily write on the scroll while it's scrolled on was very useful when a stage change needed marking on the start line. The ease of changing scrolls for days of multiple scrolls is also a brilliant feature allowing more time for eating, fuelling and checking the bike in the service stops.
The only drawback is slightly higher weight and it's a taller unit possibly requiring an alternative solution for mounting to suit some people (Ie if you like the RB mounted quite vertical).
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,852
I am biased as Tomaz, the F2R inventor, is a close friend of mine and an inmate (he lurks around...). Having said that, I've had:

- the Touratech: in my case it proved unreliable, it uses electronics to drive the motors and uses dented wheels that hate even the smallest grain of sand. The electronics in mine died after a few days of gearing malfunnctioning. I really hated it and it is now on a friends bench for a few years, hoping he gets the time to repair it. I'll sell it once he does. New it costs 308 in here.

- the MD: it ran OK. Problem was that I lent it to a friend who crashed it. As the motor protudes, the main axle is bent as is the box. I have it somewhere in the garage and I'll have to decide if I risk ordering the replacement parts not knowing if I can beat the case back to shape. I think it will never work again but if it does, I'll sell it. New it costs 480 via the UK

- the F2R: It is a gracious simple design, reliable, lightweight, quality made and the work of a very dedicated and honest person. F2R Marketing is very low-profile, but Stage Winners Alain Duclos and Juan Pederero Garcia were using one at this years Dakar. For me, the biggest advantage over the MD (apart from bigger paper capacity) is that the motor is inside the main case and not sticking out. Dakar aliens don't crash (apart from Barreda ) but I do. A fair amount of times. When I do I find the MD design really vulnerable. You can't beat the price of the F2R, as well. The most advanced unit, the RB-750 Rally uses double O-rings and costs 285 . The RB-730 costs a modic 225 (less than half of an MD).

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
I am with Jaybo1 !!!!

I've used the F2R and the MD and the Aurora.
The Aurora is far head of any other unit on the market
The features are great water proof and dust proof without having to put bits of tape over the shaft holes
The removable cartridge system is easily the best system I have used
you are able to write on the scroll while it's in the road book The simple task of changing scrolls for long days is great.
Now if you want to talk Mounting plates.
the Aurora system allows you to design you own I will post pick of mine later today !!!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,029
What...???!! The Acerbis plastic manual route chart roller is not in the poll...??!! Well I'll be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote