Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #61
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Much more so than just a cover, Renazco understands this type of riding, builds it to suit you, your machine, and riding style. Money very well spent.

There's lots of folks who build bike seats, but no one I know of that builds for this sort of riding like he does.

Your butt will thank you. Daily.

A huge +1

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #62
Lobster Grrl
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,471
Way to go!
Keep us posted!

lg
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #63
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
Dakar registrations full in the bike category !!

http://www.dakar.com/2011/DAK/presen....html#art33719

Jeeny, looks like you'll have plenty of potential friends to meet

Also, if you need a cameraman/ photographer, pm me I'm cheap (plane, food and water). it'd be a shame not to document it properly.*wink, wink*
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #64
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,733
Yay!!!!

Dakar Season is just around the corner!!!

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #65
sdh2020
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Just a thorght and it may take some doing. The dirt bike show is coming up at stoneleigh park in November. You could try and get yourself, desert rose racing, si pavey, tamsin,Matt Hall, Plumie etc,etc with the bikes and support vehicals there.

This imo will raise more intrest in rallying in the uk. Will also give you possiable sponsership options.

and allow me to buy a couple of overpriced T shirts
sdh2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #66
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh2020
Just a thorght and it may take some doing. The dirt bike show is coming up at stoneleigh park in November. You could try and get yourself, desert rose racing, si pavey, tamsin,Matt Hall, Plumie etc,etc with the bikes and support vehicals there.

This imo will raise more intrest in rallying in the uk. Will also give you possiable sponsership options.

and allow me to buy a couple of overpriced T shirts
Aha! Not sure if I can get everyone you mention together, but yes, it is my intention to be at the show this year (with the bike) possible on one of my Sponsor's stands... I'm also going to be putting a 'Supporters Package' together with some tasty merchandise in return for your cash... it will all be good gear I recommend and use - info to follow shortly...

J x

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #67
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

This thread needs more photos...

...and here they are!

I managed to pop in and see my bike at GMX before catching my flight to the USA yesterday...

Dave has done a great job on the centre tank (can you spot it?!), and is working on the two water tanks (1.5l each side) for the bash-plate... they'll be done for when I get back at the end of this month.

I decided to remove the rear Safari tank for a number of reasons - one it got misshapen in the heat, and was a pig to reattach as the mounting holes didn't line up... and also, it was a lump behind the seat I didn't need (although in honesty it wasn't hard to get on and off the bike, and it didn't weigh that much).

However, by removing the rear tank, it means the back of the bike is exactly like the stock enduro now - slim and lightweight (so no extra stress on the lightweight subframe), and easy/quick to flip up should I need access to the rear shock and carb for example.

The void between the twin front tanks was ideal for my 3 litre water and tyre levers/zip-ties etc. in Tunisia... however, as you can see from the photo above, it has also proved large enough to take a 5 litre auxiliary/reserve tank instead (with the water and sundries to be relocated), so I still have the same fuel capacity as I did with the rear tank fitted - result!

GMX have done a fantastic job of making a tank that sits underneath the stock seat base, and the filler is the same as the side tanks (note Dave's attention to detail - the Acerbis logo on the filler is horizontal - he welded the neck to the tank making sure it was! - this is why I love these guys!)

The water tank 'cheeks' will fit either side of the Flatland Racing skid plate, and continue the profile of the tanks downwards...

And the bike is looking very slim and lightweight, with all the fluids 'mass centralised' between the axles, which is exactly what I wanted!

Finally, the bike will have a new front fender fitted - I'm going for one of the KTM Adventure style ones like I have on the Tenere (and that Meca'system use on their rally-bike conversions) as it offers better mud clearance and additional support to the rear of the fender.

I'm also planing a new paintjob/graphics, but that is partially dependent on getting a major sponsor...

Toot toot for now! - I'm off to ride an XT225 Serow around the streets of San Francisco!

Jenny xx
Old 09-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #68
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,919
Looking very nice. BTW, how do you get the seat to stay down now that the tank is there?
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #69
ktmJOE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
What brand are those handguards?
ktmJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #70
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmJOE
They are Barkbuster Storm's, designed & intended for SE's & the like but make great rallye guards with the large plastics and alloy backbone
Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #71
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,851
nice looking machine Jenny, have fun in SF and say hi to Charlie and the boys for us
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #72
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Looking very nice. BTW, how do you get the seat to stay down now that the tank is there?

Hee hee magic - I will it to stay down!

No, as you can probably tell, it's not quite finished yet - it will have a boss to fix the [plastic] lug from the OEM tank on, that locates in the seat base... also, as you can probably see in the close up picture, there will be a mount at the rear of the tank that locates on the frame boss (with a rubber bush), plus the upright on the JVO bracket that holds the top of the side tanks will be bent back slightly at the same angle as the front of the alloy tank, and another mounting boss/rubber positioned there...

J x
Old 09-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #73
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmJOE
As Safariberg says, Barkbuster Storms, which are my new best favorite now.

I used to use Acerbis Rally Pros, but like a lot of people, find they end up bending after a few spills, and can look really tatty pretty quickly...

The Barkbuster mounting brackets and alloy spine bar seem ever bit as/even stronger than the Acerbis, and the Storm shields (available separately as spares btw.) give great coverage... I like to have my levers angled downwards (MTB style) and have found most hand guards aren't deep enough to have the alloy spine in-line to protect the levers and the shield your knuckles, but the Storms are ample in that respect... I'd recommend them for any dual-sport/adventure bike too, particularly in nasty weather!

J x
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #74
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Subscribed!

Congratulations, I'll be following along with your adventure. Thanks for all the write-up and photos, it's great seeing all the gory details of the bike and kit. Keep it coming and best of luck!

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #75
BLINKER 152
mudlover

Oddometer: 224
cant wait! best of luck and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

a bunch of KTM's and a 1950 PANHEAD
BLINKER 152 is offline   Reply With Quote