Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #76
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,779
Awesome! How'd I miss this thread for so long?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #77
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
...and here they are!

I managed to pop in and see my bike at GMX before catching my flight to the USA yesterday...

Toot toot for now! - I'm off to ride an XT225 Serow around the streets of San Francisco!

Jenny xx
If you have time and can get the bike up here I will ride you around Yosemite..

Michael
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #78
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Awesome! How'd I miss this thread for so long?

Too buzy making training road books for us loosers!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #79
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,958
actually he's too busy looking in his mirrors
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #80
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Best woman

Well, seems like Princess Annie got herself some serious competition this year...

Best of luck to you Jenny!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #81
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Best of luck!

This is of no surprise. It seemed like you were doing all these rallies in preparation for this main event.

May it be the most wonderful experience that you dreamed it would be. The sweat, the tears, questioning one's self, followed by the satisfaction of knowing you pushed yourself to levels few others could to reach that finish line.

Hats off for your dedication to this dream, no matter the cost.

Cheers!
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #82
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,146
Hey guys - just checking in having got an internet connection up and running...

Thank you all for your kind words of support! - as for 'serious' competition for Annie, erm, well not quite sure about that...?! and I know Tina (Meier) is entered again too... but hey, I'll do what I can... as I've said before, my goal is to finish as the highest placed British Woman on the event so far...

I've just got back from a week in Moab - I'd like to say I was 'Dakar Training', but really it was just arsing about on some of the more extreme trails!

Still, I suppose I can include 'altitude' (typically between 5000 & 7000+ft - significantly higher than you get in the UK!), 'temperature' (90+°F days), 'navigation' (no GPS on the bike, just a map and gut feeling!) and 'endurance' (8+hours a day riding, plus helping my buddy on a few of the more technical sections) to my repertoire... it all helps!

While I've been in the US I have also appointed a couple of personal trainers - Ben & Jerry - who were particularly involved during the trip to Utah...

However, now I've got back from Moab (and certainly once I get back to the UK) I will endeavor to shun my usual 'See-food' diet, and try and eat a little more healthily over the coming months... x

I'm already confident with my bike handling skills (and navigation) at speed of course, and this past week in Moab certainly helped with mental and physical conditioning which is no less important - it certainly highlighted areas in which I can improve...

Once I get back home, the rally bike should be ready to start testing, and depending on the handling with the new fuel and water tanks in place, I may enlist the help of a suspension tuner - although I like the plushness of the stock set-up, on return from Tunisia, the rear end is now noticeably softer, and that was just one event of 2000kms...

I will then undertake the final few modifications and preparations prior to shipping in mid November - I've just been reading the 94 page!!! document regarding the technical regs etc for the bikes... it is my intention to enter in Marathon class, as keeping it simple seems to be the most proven way of gaining a finish...

As for sponsorship, I have already approached a number of suppliers/companies, and also hope to have a really attractive package together for the 'grass-roots' supporters of my campaign...

Details to follow the moment I have them!

Toot toot for now!

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #83
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Nice! Thanks for the update Jenny! Sounds like you are doing well - Ben and Jerry can be fabulous trainers, therapists, friends, confidants...always there when you need them!
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #84
Hustler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
.........While I've been in the US I have also appointed a couple of personal trainers - Ben & Jerry - who were particularly involved during the trip to Utah...
Ice creams all round then.

And fingers crossed, good luck with it all.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #85
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
... it is my intention to enter in Marathon class, as keeping it simple seems to be the most proven way of gaining a finish...
Great stuff Jenny. Real Rally pilots only enter in Marathon class!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #86
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,763
Congratulations, Jen! Holly and I are in for grass-roots support whenever you get it set up.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #87
nagykovi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Congrat Jen!

Where can I find the regs. for bike?

Thanks

Nagykovi
nagykovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #88
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Hi Nagykovi!

If you go to the Dakar.com website, there is a link (it's actually on the main page at the moment) to download the regulations...

Happy reading!

J xx
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #89
SonHomme
Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer: 558
Anxiously awaiting an update.
SonHomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #90
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonHomme
Anxiously awaiting an update.
Hmmmm... it's not good news.

You know how I said my personal trainers Ben & Jerry were helping me out in Moab? Well I fear they may be required in an even greater capacity over the next 6-8 weeks...

Yep, I've broken my foot (Team Manager Piglet is not amused, even though he always looks cheery):

It's a long story, which is probably worth a ride report thread of it's own... hell, I'm going to have plenty of time to put that together the next few weeks eh?

Still, looking on the bright side, using crutches these next few weeks will be great for upper body strength and respiratory fitness, right? And I'm going to have a huge right leg calf muscle which will be great for kickstarting the WR if the battery goes flat... oh, and sleeping out on the Rubicon trail at 7000ft with only a space blanket for warmth is great for , well, I dunno - but it will sure make the Dakar feel like a walk in the park now!

The downside, is that when I get back to the UK next week, not only will I not be able to drive (and my bike is currently 300 miles from my home), but I won't have any time to test it before it needs to ship to South America, in erm, approximately 8 weeks time - about the same time I get out of plaster.

Noone said it would be easy, but I didn't think it would be quite so hard to even get to the start! In fact the only thing worse than this, is for it to have happened in another few weeks time... at least I should be out of plaster and physically fit again for January 1st...

At least the bike is essentially ready to go now, but it would have been nice to have undertake some proper testing with the new mods prior to shipping, and perhaps play with the suspension etc too. Hey ho.

Seems like "lastminuteracing.com" was appropriate after all!

More info, when I get off these pain meds!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx