User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
tmx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hey Luke,

Friend of mine (wb57 here on on advrider) has the same bike with the same problem. I was wondering how your repair is holding up now, 7 months down the road?

Thanks,
-Bob
'93 Honda XR250L
No wife (had to make room for the bikes so out she went)
tmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Luke OP
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmx View Post
Hey Luke,

Friend of mine (wb57 here on on advrider) has the same bike with the same problem. I was wondering how your repair is holding up now, 7 months down the road?

Thanks,
-Bob
As far as I can tell, it's perfect. The bike runs well even on old gas. I looked inside the tank a couple of months ago and didn't see any peeling or other problems.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
As far as I can tell, it's perfect. The bike runs well even on old gas. I looked inside the tank a couple of months ago and didn't see any peeling or other problems.

Holy moly. I'm in.
Thanks, TMX and original poster.

MotoJunky - I'm thinking I rode for a weekend with another Scorpa from MD at Brushy Mountain last summer... CF?

I'm going to do this ASAP and I'll let you know the results. Currently, my pilot is plugged. Here's the good part: I was sold what was purported to be non-ethanol fuel from a marina about an hour or so from here. Apparently, it wasn't.

Buyer beware.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #19
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Holy moly. I'm in.
Thanks, TMX and original poster.

MotoJunky - I'm thinking I rode for a weekend with another Scorpa from MD at Brushy Mountain last summer... CF?

I'm going to do this ASAP and I'll let you know the results. Currently, my pilot is plugged. Here's the good part: I was sold what was purported to be non-ethanol fuel from a marina about an hour or so from here. Apparently, it wasn't.

Buyer beware.
Yep, that's me.

When you do this, please keep us posted. Two success stories would be enough to convince me.

I may email you about that last line of your .sig. The kid (~20) next door asked me the other day if I knew of any trials bikes for sale. It'd be great to have someone local to ride with. Of course, at 20 he'd probably be too good for me to hang with in about a week...

That said, I don't think you should sell it. I sorta lost interest for a while and sold my old Montesa only to find that I "needed" another one a year or so later.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky View Post
Yep, that's me.
Damn. They really *will* let anyone in here...

Quote:
When you do this, please keep us posted. Two success stories would be enough to convince me.
The horror story you posted seems to be a completely different situation and hasn't really scared me off much. I'm going to do this.

Quote:
I may email you about that last line of your .sig. The kid (~20) next door asked me the other day if I knew of any trials bikes for sale. It'd be great to have someone local to ride with. Of course, at 20 he'd probably be too good for me to hang with in about a week...
That being said, other than riding with you at Brushy last summer, I think I've ridden once with TMX since then. Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail when convenient. I don't want to be without a trials bike in the long run, but it would probably be better off with someone else right now.

Quote:
That said, I don't think you should sell it. I sorta lost interest for a while and sold my old Montesa only to find that I "needed" another one a year or so later.
I love riding it. Probably spent more time on it than the KTM in the last couple years. BUT, I've probably only spent ~10 hours on the KTM in the last 12-15 months. John said he wants to get back on a 4S, so I think I'm going to set my 250F up for him and sell his 200. With him being off at school, I'll have it available pretty much any time I want to ride it anyway. If he wants to get back into racing someday, I'll look at something new at that point.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:42 AM   #21
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Huh.
A year ago, I painted my bike (including gas tank) with epoxy.
This year I decided to redo it, so I just poured gasoline all over the tank, let it sit for half an hour, and wiped it off. Okay, scraped it off...but still--gasoline was a great solvent. Of course, no one ever advertised that kind of epoxy to be gas resistant.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
motojunky
Professional Idiot

I just got back from the VP dealer. The fuel I've been using jumped from $9/gallon last time I bought it to $15/gallon today.

Is the epoxy still holding up for you? I'm suddenly much more interested.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #23
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just got back from the VP dealer. The fuel I've been using jumped from $9/gallon last time I bought it to $15/gallon today.

Is the epoxy still holding up for you? I'm suddenly much more interested.

I e-mailed them last night asking if they'd sell a smaller size than the $40 size as it does 10 gallons worth of fuel tank. If they don't'/won't, you want to split an order?

Getting ready to do mine now.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #24
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
I e-mailed them last night asking if they'd sell a smaller size than the $40 size as it does 10 gallons worth of fuel tank. If they don't'/won't, you want to split an order?

Getting ready to do mine now.
Sounds like a plan to me. I have 5 gallons of fuel now, so I'm good for a couple of months. You wanna do yours first and and the leftovers to me?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #25
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like a plan to me. I have 5 gallons of fuel now, so I'm good for a couple of months. You wanna do yours first and and the leftovers to me?

Yeah, that sounds great. I've got mine just going back together now and the only fuel I had was the "fake" ethanol free, which has gone back home to become one with nature.
I haven't heard back from them on quantities, but I doubt they're going to do anything different for me just because I have a .5 gallon fuel tank.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #26
motojunky
Professional Idiot

The tank on my '02 Scorpa is curing now. Process was clear-cut and seemed to go well. Time will tell.

I'll post an update or two as time passes.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #27
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
The tank on my '02 Scorpa is curing now. Process was clear-cut and seemed to go well. Time will tell.

I'll post an update or two as time passes.
I had been running VP SEF94, a 94 octane, ethanol-free fuel designed for small engines/power equipment, etc. The bike has run great with that fuel for the year that I've owned it. After using the Caswell, I mixed up a gallon of Sunoco 93 octane pump gas. The bike ran terrible, knocking and pinging at moderate load. I was able to get it barely good enough to ride (I was an hour away from home at the time) with some fiddling with the air screw, but drained the rest as soon as I got home. Today I mixed up a gallon of Sunoco 100 octane race fuel from the pump. This fuel does contain ethanol. The bike is back to running great. This fuel is $8.50/gallon - painful, but far better than $15/gallon for the VP stuff. I may try mixing 50/50 100 octane and 93 octane or somesuch to keep the cost down.

Other than that, there have been no ethanol-related issues. It's too early to get too excited about that but I am cautiously optimistic.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #28
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I had been running VP SEF94, a 94 octane, ethanol-free fuel designed for small engines/power equipment, etc. The bike has run great with that fuel for the year that I've owned it. After using the Caswell, I mixed up a gallon of Sunoco 93 octane pump gas. The bike ran terrible, knocking and pinging at moderate load. I was able to get it barely good enough to ride (I was an hour away from home at the time) with some fiddling with the air screw, but drained the rest as soon as I got home. Today I mixed up a gallon of Sunoco 100 octane race fuel from the pump. This fuel does contain ethanol. The bike is back to running great. This fuel is $8.50/gallon - painful, but far better than $15/gallon for the VP stuff. I may try mixing 50/50 100 octane and 93 octane or somesuch to keep the cost down.

Other than that, there have been no ethanol-related issues. It's too early to get too excited about that but I am cautiously optimistic.
Wow. Mine always ran great on any 93 octane pump gas I threw in it. Well, except for that cottage cheesy shit in the carb.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #29
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Wow. Mine always ran great on any 93 octane pump gas I threw in it. Well, except for that cottage cheesy shit in the carb.
I read on the interwebs about adjusting the timing to change the power delivery. Might be that mine is advanced further than yours was.

http://www.thehellteam.com/catalogue/c11/c20/c27/c62

I have not seen the cheese effect - and I hope to keep it that way!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #30
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have not seen the cheese effect - and I hope to keep it that way!
Strictly a function of ethanol and the OEM fuel tank. I think you bypassed that little wonder.