User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
DADODIRT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
La Plata morning ride

Recent purchase of the KLX300R and my first ride. It's been a while since I've had a smaller dirt bike. I recently sold my airhead BMW as it was turning into a garage queen. This was a tough decision but on my first ride with the KLX I was re-introduced to the fun of smaller dual sports.

Left the house at about 6:30 and headed up towards Hay Camp Mesa.

Early morning shot looking across the valley towards the entrance to Mesa Verde NP

Closer view of the Mesa Verde road and the Sleeping Ute in the background. This mountain range is visable from a large portion of the four corners region. Always a beacon to look for when travelling.

I'm gonna continue this later.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 634
Downhill Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378

Old 09-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
DADODIRT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
I Continued up the FS roads towards Haycamp Mesa. The road towards the mesa was closed but I was able to play around on the deteriorating trail as it climbed up through the spruce and aspen. I went over a rise and began descending. That's when I realized I was in a bit over my head as I hopped down the boulder strewn trail. Not to worry. This isn't the GS. I was able to hop off, turn it around and climb back out. (without stalling!)
I took another breather on the way back down both to shed a layer and review the maps as most of the riding I was going to do this morning is closed.
[IMG]file:///Users/laurie/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/laurie/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

I was able to backtrack the first leg of my journey which started at Cherry Creek FS road, west of Hesperus. The ascent to the old RailRoad Grade is a steep track through the woods. Once onto the railroad grade it is smooth sailing with some nice open stretches.

I decided to try to stay on the railroad grade until it intersected with La Plata Canyon, to the east. A mile or so past the intersection with Cherry Creek road it ends.
One more stop to review the maps.

I realize I have to go back onto Hwy 160 to be able to access La Plata Canyon. The little machine buzzed right along at speeds. Wouldn't want to do that all day, but for a few miles all was well.
I followed La Plata Canyon back to the intersection and hung a right up to the basin on the east(Columbo Basin?).
I was above treeline and heading towards some heavy clouds. My morning ride needed to end by the time I would get home, so it was time to turn around.

I stopped once more for lunch on the descent.
Blurry view up valley.

I'll post some more after the next journey.
Enjoy.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote