User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Has anyone GPSd a Honda CRF 50?

I was just wandering if anyone has GPSd a CRF 50 to see how fast they can go. I was considering buying a Baja Designs kit to make it street legal, but I do not know if they are fast enough to be safe on the street. I also would not want to gear it to high because they do not have to much get up and go, especially in third gear, and it would be really hard on that little motor with my weight. I love the stock motor though, it is so damn reliable! First kick every time, so I would kind of like to leave the motor alone. Cars where I live go about 50 in a 40 on average, so I was wandering if a CRF 50 could do at least 45 mph stock.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
This isn't a scooter, so I doubt you'll get much response from those in the Battlescooter section. Try putting this in Thumpers.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yea I will try that, but I just saw a couple of things on bikes similar to this on here.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn
I was just wandering if anyone has GPSd a CRF 50 to see how fast they can go. I was considering buying a Baja Designs kit to make it street legal, but I do not know if they are fast enough to be safe on the street. I also would not want to gear it to high because they do not have to much get up and go, especially in third gear, and it would be really hard on that little motor with my weight. I love the stock motor though, it is so damn reliable! First kick every time, so I would kind of like to leave the motor alone. Cars where I live go about 50 in a 40 on average, so I was wandering if a CRF 50 could do at least 45 mph stock.
Well extrapolating the performance of a dead stock C102 from 1964 with the 4.5 hp pushrod engine, which will nearly do 42 mph, I'd say, possibly,... yes?

But that would be with street tires and proper gearing. It's the 4 speed manual clutched 50 right?

You could also swap in a 125cc clone engine and pretty much guarantee you could go faster.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's actually a 3 speed automatic clutch on it. It redlines pretty high though. I don't know if I would put one of the chinese clones in it though. I would miss that Honda 50 reliability to much! But if it is really slow [Anything under 40 mph], it might not be much of an option for me. But I have seen 5 speed gear boxes for these. I might consider putting one in it. Or maybe at the cost of a little acceleration, I could put a tiny sprocket in the back. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
YamaGeek is dead on here. I had a stocker, tied my Garmin to it and got 42 scary MPH out of it. Regearing would hurt your valuable accelleration but might get you a few MPH more.

My fiddy is street legal although it's now far from stock. Mostly I put a plate on it so I could carry it along with my RV to legally strafe the bluehair's camp fires in the campgrounds. I personally would stay off of streets with posted speed limits over 35.

For anyone wanting to remotor a Passport, especially the '82 and later 12 v. versions either the XR/CRF-50 or 70 would be an excellent choice. Donor bikes are relatively cheap and availalble and would give you typical Honda reliability and parts availability. All you'd have to add is a lighting coil setup which are cheap and available on eBay.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I should expect 40-42 mph out of it? Thats not too bad, but I would definitely need to re gear it for street use, as the road out of my neighborhood is a 40 mph, and cars go a minimum of 45 mph. Maybe with a few upgrades or something I could re gear without loosing too much acceleration. I saw a 4 speed kit on fast 50s for a decent price, maybe if I popped one of those in, re jetted, upgraded exhaust and air intake and put a smaller rear sprocket on I could pull 45-50. Thanks. I will try and see what I can do to it.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Quote:
It's actually a 3 speed automatic clutch on it. It redlines pretty high though. I don't know if I would put one of the chinese clones in it though. I would miss that Honda 50 reliability to much! But if it is really slow [Anything under 40 mph], it might not be much of an option for me. But I have seen 5 speed gear boxes for these. I might consider putting one in it. Or maybe at the cost of a little acceleration, I could put a tiny sprocket in the back. Thanks for the response.
Well I just wanted to say that my LifanHaHa has just passed it's 6000 mile mark since I put the engine in it in August of '08. And as a small engined bike it's not been gently used. The engine still runs fine, gets about 90 mpg and has a 50 mph top speed. It happily cruises nearly all day at 38~43 mph. Two trips to the Wetfest Rally with accumulative 700 mile trip averages over both weekends.

Don't let anyone tell you the clones don't hold up, change the oil every 600 miles, do the valves every other oil change, and occasionally buy new spark plugs and or rarely a new CDI box.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

It actually runs that good? I have had a couple of cheap chinese made bikes that ran like crap and broke every other day. But maybe the lifans are better than the other chinese brands? I don't know to much about lifans engines. I have not heard to much about them, good or bad, it's just most chinese brands I know of aren't exactly high quality. Is that a 125 cc 4 or 5 speed engine you have in that bike? I might research those motors a little more, as I could really use the speed.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
halliwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
about 10 of us bombed this same curvy road going down to the river here and we had a ford lightning leading and videoing it, no clue who has the video but was told we where rolling through around 40-45, which on that road is pretty impressive that the ford was able to handle it, but the driver makes a couple trips to the dragon in it each year so she know's how to handle it lol speaking of which here they are in the new red one at the dragon, from kill boys highlights

halliwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Quote:
It actually runs that good? I have had a couple of cheap chinese made bikes that ran like crap and broke every other day. But maybe the lifans are better than the other chinese brands? I don't know to much about lifans engines. I have not heard to much about them, good or bad, it's just most chinese brands I know of aren't exactly high quality. Is that a 125 cc 4 or 5 speed engine you have in that bike? I might research those motors a little more, as I could really use the speed.
Do an internet search for Hooper's Imports or DRATV, they both carry Lifan engines for conversions. I'm not aware of any 5 speed horizontal cylindered Honda clone, although I feel that an extra gear would be nice to have, especially if it's an overdrive. The 4 speeds are really wide ratioed.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just looked at those on the sight! Those are actually pretty good prices. The motors look like they were built pretty well. I might consider popping one in my 50! I would love to pop that 140 cc 4 speed in! I could imagine how fast a little mini bike would go with that big motor in it! Thanks for the info.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

In the online edition archives of the UK Guardian a couple of years back, in the Car and Transportation section, there was an interview with the CEO of Lifan China. They had the licenses to build Honda's small bikes for their home market and had purchased the tooling for the old C50 and C70 based engines and bikes from Honda's old factories. But the story wasn't all roses.

I'm paraphrasing because I didn't have the forethought to cut and paste the article to save it, But he said roughly about their initial investment and start-up,

"Those Bloody Japanese, yes they sent us the entire factory tooling and blueprints, but what they didn't tell us was that the tools were at the end of their service limits and wear, and we had to spend over 2 million US dollars of our own time, materials, and effort just to bring the tooling up to ISO 9001 specs, which included modernizing the production line with CNC interfaces."

I realize that there are bikes sold here in the US from Mainland China that deserve to be considered low quality, but Lifan sounds like they care enough about their product to have risen above this. Their products have good reviews from Western Pac Rim Underbone forums, although not considered quite as good as Japanese or Taiwanese products, but when both SYM and Kymco use mainland China engines and components for some of their bikes I'll bet it's a Lifan factory making the parts.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
I was considering buying a Baja Designs kit to make it street legal
I see you live in California, so the bigger question is how your gonna get the Cal DMV to register/license the CRF50 for street use.

The Cal DMV isn't like it used to be with conversion kits/bikes. I haven't heard of anyone being able to do this for a LONG time.. Just do some checking before you drop the cash for a conversion kit with hopes of getting plates for it in California.
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yea maybe I'll research it a little more, but I have met a few guys in my town who have recently done it. I don't really know exactly how hard it is, but thanks for pointing that out.

The DMV does suck here though! Maybe I could just buy one of those old Z 50s that were street legal. There are some good deals on CL around here.