ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #316
TheMadMike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
My first bike the day I brought her home.
TheMadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #317
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
1970- 1977

I failed totally in documenting my early life. My family was miserable, I ran away after school and so one turns to the Internet to recreat ethe past.

Unlike other inmates here my mother loved motorcycles and used to pint them out to me when we were driving. "One day" she used to say" I want you to be riding like that." When I was 12 she got me a Vespa 50R to use on my vacations in Italy where the legal age for mopeds 14. I rode the thing everywhere starting a life long love of travling by motorcycle.

Unfortunately for me she died a few years later wyhen cancer got her her at 49 so by the time I was old enough she never got to see me with a real motorcycle. A pushrod twin 350 which immediately got saddlebags and became my ticket to riding across Europe every chance I got, clip ons and all. I knew no better so I loved it.

The only reason I got an MV was because one was for sale in the nearby town. I knew Agostini was winning races on them so I figured it couldn't be bad. I am in awe of people on this thread who started out on massive motorcycles but I went laterally, got a Moto Morini 3and a Half Sport for the disc brake..! And later wanted more horsepower so when a friend wrecked the Morini I happened upon a used Benelli 650 Tornado, Italy's answer to the Bonneville.

That was me in the 70s with my first dog of my very own too, much loved Sandy. The Benelli ran erraticallyw tih electircla problems but I still rode everywhere at breakneck speeds with horrible vibrations (hence the electrical problems!) and incredible acceleration and torque. My modern Bonnevilel has the same performance but feels nothing like the Tornado did. Thank God in many respects. But it was thrilling.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #318
Dirt McGirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Love these pictures, dare I say it, historical? I like the 110 film, the faded and out of focus, the sepia. The riding gear, the great tennis shoes, the hair and hair cuts, the smiles, the simple respectable middle class houses - all great stuff. Alas, no pics of me and my first bike (or several) - I had to keep the 1st couple of them bike away from the parents, although my first bike was well represented here, (S90) and several other bikes I've owned.
Nice post, I couldn't have said it better myself. I love this thread. Dirt
Dirt McGirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #319
B-B

Oddometer: 118
B-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #320
SNAPGADGET
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblerdrver View Post
196? Harley Davidson M50! A Mo-Ped without the "ped". 50cc with, as I remember, a 3speed trans with a twist grip shift on left hand grip. Fun little bike. In the photo I'm hillclimbing along the newly constructed i74 Interstate tru Peoria,IL. The local Harley dealer had a large trail (or trial?) size rear sprocket for it and this is what we're using in the photo. Top speed was only about 15mph with the large sprocket, but it would really climb hills that way. I see I believed in wearing all the safety gear back then!
I had the same bike...Mine was a 1967 model.
SNAPGADGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #321
Skylar
Ace Deuce Rider

Oddometer: 64
My "gateway bike"

Edit: I only have one photo of myself on the bike.

Started as a clean mild wannabe british 1976 Cafe style CB550. I bought it with clubmans, a Mac 4-1 header, and a really nice rattlecan silver. The bike was so nice people keyed it when I'd ride it downtown. I also dropped it a couple times both working on it and riding- I learned how to ride on this, my first bike. I almost got hit when a Jeep ran a red light, and I laid it down to avoid injury or death.

When it became clear the bike was really showing it's battle damage (despite all this, the tank NEVER dented! My neighbor broke the vintage aftermarket timing cover pushing it over by accident, but the the vandalism really pissed me off- I went rat with it. I also went race with it. It's my rat racer. It now has parts from 40s cars, 60s bikes, 70s bikes. It's been dropped or laid down probably 6-8 times. I haven't dropped a bike since moving onto bigger mills and frames. It's a great starter bike. Since these pictures I had the same tank repainted a third time with a crazy ass new design, and the rear cowl is getting a different paintscheme as well. Different tires, a period 4-1 exhaust, and an oil cooler will make it onto the current iteration when it rolls back out, hopefully fall 2011. There's now 5 other vintage bikes I have in my garage with plans for all of them. I will always love the CB550 though for sure, and I'm gonna try to keep it as long as I can.

Skylar screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 06:38 PM Reason: added a picture
Skylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #322
zeerx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Here's me on my '67 S-90 in 1968.

'66 CL77
'12 F150 (Ford)
zeerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #323
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
I would love to post a pic of my first bike but I do not think cameras were around then. Just kidding, when in college there was no money for pics. Beer and gas were more important.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #324
Mark-60
nOObziIlLa!

Oddometer: 189
1989 on Ft. Hood, TX.

Mark-60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #325
Jamm
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
My YamaHama

First two up trip ever; to the store with a niece. Rode many back rodes in Kansas, loved that bike but it was many pounds ago.

Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #326
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,379
1972 with my Yamaha JT1 60cc.

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #327
NeelsK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
NeelsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #328
FelixSharpy
Photographer/Rider

Oddometer: 15
Honda XL70

First bike was a Orange Honda Xl 70.(1974, I believe). It still runs too.
This bike started it all for me. Learned to ride trails, jump hills, and crash into trees and creeks with it.
Lots of good memories on that bike. Growing up with dirtbikes is a great experience.

(This isn't my photo, but my bike looked just like it)

-Felix
Old 07-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #329
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
1969 Yamaha DT1-B a '70 Elsinore Grand Prix

My dad gave me this bike shortly after this picture was taken. It was my third bike but the picture has much significance for me ...

This is the mudhole at the Gripster's MC 1970 Elsinore GP which was featured in the movie "On Any Sunday". My dad is in the foreground (#285). I was in the 1970 Desert MC race later that year on the same bike which was also featured in "On Any Sunday". Shared memories of my late father and me.

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #330
ScottFree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Can't find any pictures of my very first bike, a '73 Kawi S2. Shame, as it was a neat bike, the baby brother of the fire-breathing H1 and H2 two-stroke triples. So here are two pictures of my second bike, a '76 KZ900 that I purchased a year later.

This lousy picture was taken on the beach at Daytona in May of 1977, my first big trip anywhere. Seems I started early in my habit of inflicting salt damage on all my bikes (these days I do it by riding in Chicago in the winter).

A slightly better picture, a few days later outside DC. (The passenger is the "Photomate," who sat in the little overnight film-developing booth in the shopping mall parking lot. She traded a ride for developing/printing my film.)

ScottFree is offline   Reply With Quote