Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Oddometer: 255
Exploring Australia - Where to go next?

G'day mates,

I have successfully arrived in Perth in October and made my way to Adelaide.
But I need a lot more advice where to go and what to do.
See update at the end of the thread.

Dominik

Original Thread
---------------------
Gday mates (am I doing this right? :) )
My name is Dominik and i am a 29 year old guy from Germany. Im planning to stay in Australia with my bike for one year. Right now my plan is to arrive in Perth in mid October, stay there for a few days to get my bike out of Customs and register, get everything into travel conditions. My first real destination would be the Horizon Unlimited Travellers Meeting near Perth, but where to go next? South or east, I definitely wanna see as much of OZ as possible? Will the Outback be to hot at this time of the year? Are there any awesome motorcycle rallys or events not to miss?

Can anybody suggest me a low-priced accommodation near the airport in Perth, maybe a campground or something similar?

I will crate my bike in box build out of aluminum sections, is it easy to get rid of the aluminum? In Germany you would get paid for aluminum, but how is it in OZ?

So many questions I hope youve got some answers :)
Greetings Dominik

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia

der-Seppel screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 01:31 AM
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,840
Gday Dominik (yep, you got that right!).

The "Outback" you will find hot probably, but also worth the trip, I doubt you will see anything remotely like it in Europe. A good time to visit the inland areas of Australia is from April to October. Temps during the day can get over 40*C from 0800 in the morning, then stay up there until sunset, and these temps are fairly normal for the hotter months December to March. Maximum temps on a hot day you will want to find an airconditioned hotel somewhere, don't underestimate how it will affect you. If I had to live somewhere in temps below freezing I would be dead before the sunrise I think!

We have backpackers from Europe working on the family farm all the time, and generally they are fine with the temps until they go past mid to high 30s, then they start to suffer a fair bit. They are generally from Germany, Holland, Estonia, Britain, etc, so you should be the same.

Enjoy your stay here, it really is a world apart.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Portly
Plodder

Oddometer: 202
I would travel the south west of WA then head east and spend the summer and early autumn seeing Tasmania, Victoria and eastern NSW then head to QLD and the outback as the weather cools, finally head across the top end and back to Perth late winter into spring.
Portly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly View Post
I would travel the south west of WA then head east and spend the summer and early autumn seeing Tasmania, Victoria and eastern NSW then head to QLD and the outback as the weather cools, finally head across the top end and back to Perth late winter into spring.
+1.

Avoid northern Australia in the hot months, it is also the "wet" season as well up north, so steer clear of it.

The east coast is nice, milderr, and there's fantastic riding to be had in Tasmania, Victoria, and the east coast ranges. Do the northern part after April, and good luck Dominik.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,509
yep Portly is right , head in a counter clockwise direction, you'll love it.

We have the OCBR down in Bridgetown a couple of weeks after the HU meeting in Yanchep.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,370
I am sure an inmate in Perth will store your crate for 12 months. It might cost you a few beers but no doubt you will need it when you leave so it will be cheaper than building a new one
Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Hi Dominik.
I'm not exactly close to the airport but have plenty of room to camp (5 acres), if you don't like sleeping in a bed. My wife would probably enjoy the chance to use her German language skills - she spent a year in Germany (near Helmstedt) on exchange when at school. I can easily store your crate here for the year you're travelling, if that suits you too.
If this all suits, let me know when you're arriving and we might be able to sort out picking you up at the airport and collecting your bike.
Cheers
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Thumb

Sorry for my late response but I had to go to birthday party with a lot of
@MODNROD
Thanks for the temperature warning, I think you might be right. Last year on my trip to the Alps, the temperature was nearly reaching 40, so I had to leave the small roads and go onto the Autobahn to get some cooling wind. You could say I suffering a little bit

@Portly
Sound like a good plan. It is what I had in mind.

@GodSilla
I will definitely avoid the wet season! I have been to Cairns for a week in late March of 2010 and it was raining 6 out of 7 days.

@bully1
Got the date into my calendar. The OCBR sounds like a funny place to be.

@prestonpaul
You got the ideas and just 2 hours later there is the opportunity - I love Advriders.

@ JayBo1
What a great offer! I would love to be your guest. I will contact you via PM.

Greetings Dominik

Where am I ?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,248
Good stuff. Great to see the system working. As it should!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
buckscreek
AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer: 634
Hi Dominic what kind of bike? Which oil and tyres? Sorry just taking the piss. I'm sure you'll get many similar offers but i'll get in first to offer you hospitality when you're on the east coast.
buckscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

I will bring my 2009 BMW F 800 GS with me:
- Heidenau K60 Scout tires - they are the cheapest and longest lasting pair tires I have had until now and I really liked them so I will buy them again.
- The engine oil for the beginning will be Castrol 10w40
The other modifications I have done on the bike:
- I have chanced the springs in front and back to progressive HyperPro springs
- AdventureSpec Magadan soft pannier system on a Touratech rack
- Touratech bar riser, footpegs and tank bag
- SW Motech engine guard and bashplate
- Garmin Montana GPS & a Spot tracker mounted to the bar

Thumbs up for the offer

Where am I ?

der-Seppel screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 11:37 PM
Old 09-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
If you do need to sell your crate, the recyclers pay about $1 per kg
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

A little update on my trip:
I have successfully arrived in Perth with the help of JayBo1.
Made my way through the South West of WA and ended up in Esperance with inmate Squily.
Had good time down there with him and he gave me some great tracks to cross the Nullarbor.
At the Eyre Peninsular in SA I visited inmates desert dogand Nazza in Port Lincoln.

You can read the whole story here in my ride report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929722

Right now I am in Adelaide and will be around the area until Christmas.
I am planning to go to Tasmania in mid January for a month but I have no clue what to see and where to go on my way to Melbourne except the Great Oceans Road. And for Tassi it is even worse, I don't now a single thing about this island.

So I might need any advice I can get.

Where am I ?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 4,804
That bloody Squily (WA)! In the last eight months he has led two overseas visitors onto some jagged rocks, once with S10 in the Flinders Ranges and now Dom out in the boondocks of WA. Dom arrived here with a fairly dented front wheel on his Beemer that everyone looked at and slowly shook their heads.

That was until yesterday when PBee took to it with a specialty hammer and finished it off with a benchtop static wheel balance. It looks like new...he has done an amazing job see what some know-how and brawn can do... Dom had even ordered a new rim from Germany but has cancelled that now..

A couple of beers around the 'Barrel of Knowledge' ended a very successful day.

Dom is here in Gawler for another day or so, we might try out his front wheel on a tour around the Barossa today (and I want to bed in a new front Karoo (T) on the Tiger). Off to the South Coast in the morning for a look around and take up Pejie (Steel Pony) on a lunch offer just out of Victor Harbor and then Dom's off to the Yorke Peninsula for a few days and then spending some time with family until around Christmas.

He's ticking off some wishes whilst here. He had his first Barra the other night with us at a local pub, he has a strong desire to do the Great Ocean Road, and wants to spend a month touring Tassie before making his way back to the mainland, High Country, and hugging the coast around to the eastern side....lucky bugga, I reckon that would be a hoot on his F800. He's in Oz for about another 10 months so if you see him around give him a wave.......

He's gonna make it back to SA for the Flinders Classic in April so we can all catch up with him again there.

EDIT: Over dinner the other night I asked Dominik what else he wanted to see whilst in Oz, and he replied that he'd read a lot about Sandy Island and would like to go there........I thought about it for a while, tried to decifer what he was on about and then realised........"You mean Fraser Island?" "Yeah, that one" he replied. Even though he speaks very good English, there is still a language barrier..... Nice fella.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 01:57 PM
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 652
Hi der Seppel,

If you want somebody to show you around the Morning Peninsula when you get to Melbourne, give us a shout. I'll be around most of Jan.

David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der-Seppel View Post
A little update on my trip:
I have successfully arrived in Perth with the help of JayBo1.
Made my way through the South West of WA and ended up in Esperance with inmate Squily.
Had good time down there with him and he gave me some great tracks to cross the Nullarbor.
At the Eyre Peninsular in SA I visited inmates desert dogand Nazza in Port Lincoln.

You can read the whole story here in my ride report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929722

Right now I am in Adelaide and will be around the area until Christmas.
I am planning to go to Tasmania in mid January for a month but I have no clue what to see and where to go on my way to Melbourne except the Great Oceans Road. And for Tassi it is even worse, I don't now a single thing about this island.

So I might need any advice I can get.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote