User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
Dale950 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
How many days to do Tassie ?

I'm thinking of going over to Tassie , how many days should I go for to do all the best parts , Western Explorer , Ben Lamond etc etc , be mostly camping 1 night at each spot , 4 -5 days enough ?

Cheers
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
jackafrica
sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer: 431
Take as much time as you can afford.
Depending on time of year the weather can be fickle, the last two weeks a great example.

I came here with my wife in '86 on a one year belated honeymoon. We rode around for 21 days, went back to the mainland and declared we had " seen everything". 18 months later we moved here. Still there are roads to cross off my list and rides of which I have never tired.

March and April are the best months of predictable, even weather.
Enjoy your planning, Tasmania offers plenty for both road and adventure riders.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
blade07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale950 View Post
I'm thinking of going over to Tassie , how many days should I go for to do all the best parts , Western Explorer , Ben Lamond etc etc , be mostly camping 1 night at each spot , 4 -5 days enough ?

Cheers
I wouldn't waste a boat ticket for 4-5 days but if that is all the time you have got it is
better than nothing.

Two weeks minimum .

I lived and rode there for Ten years in the 70's and still need to go back to see the rest.
blade07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale950 View Post
Tassie , how many days should I go for to do all the best parts , Western Explorer , Ben Lamond etc etc

Cheers

About 3 months....

.,...at a REAL TIGHT SQUEEZE!!

Check this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029802

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures

glitch_oz screwed with this post 12-14-2014 at 02:02 AM
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
I am going to head there for the Wooden Boat Festival. Leaving Bris for a pissup at Maindenwell on the 31st Jan then jumping on the ferry on the 5th Feb.

I have no time frame set. If works bothers me, I might have to fly home for a few days (any of you tas weeners out there take note, I may need a place to rest my bike for a a couple of weeks!).

When ya thinking about going Dale?
Old 12-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #6
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,525
I lived there for 26 years and still haven't seen and been everywhere down there.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:20 AM   #7
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,816
Went for 2 weeks and stayed 6.

7313 klms and missed lots

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 AM   #8
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,336
Even in the nicest time of year, Feb to April, the weather can be "fickle". so don't lock in places to be, especially if you are camping, "Tuesday is Queenstown" locks you into being there in the potentially nasty weather where two days later it is to die for.
When you get off the boat at Devonport, and the weather is nice on the west coast, then turn right and do the west coast, or if a front is on its way through, turn left and to the east coast.

The western explorer can be slippery in nasty weather, repaired with red clay, which takes some finding in the quartzite west coast, but trust me, they have.

Flexibility is the key, native like myself exploit this to our own advantage, and a look at the computer will let me, a Hobart resident, know weather to go east, west or north or south, depending on what is happening.

As to how long, I advise people to ride around the state three times, taking about three weeks, first is a quick three day wizz around, so places that you want to pay more attention to are noticed, then a slow lap seeing the things noted on the first lap. The last lap is the (road bike) scratching lap, as your eye will be in by this time, and the twisty can be enjoyed.

I am a Queenslander, first moved down here in 1990, and am still finding new stuff to see and do.

See you all at the wooden boat show
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
Dale950 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Thanks .
I did a lap about 12 years ago on a sports bike & had a ball in about 5 days this time I want to do it on the 950 & get off the black stuff .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #10
bikeroz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
How do I put this delicately?
You will not have enough time.

Or to prove a point, anyone on here who been to Tassie and left without wishing they had some more time?
The silence would be deafening

Squeeze as much time as you have available and then some. Thank us all later.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Gadget View Post
Even in the nicest time of year, Feb to April, the weather can be "fickle". so don't lock in places to be, especially if you are camping, "Tuesday is Queenstown" locks you into being there in the potentially nasty weather where two days later it is to die for.
When you get off the boat at Devonport, and the weather is nice on the west coast, then turn right and do the west coast, or if a front is on its way through, turn left and to the east coast.

The western explorer can be slippery in nasty weather, repaired with red clay, which takes some finding in the quartzite west coast, but trust me, they have.

Flexibility is the key, native like myself exploit this to our own advantage, and a look at the computer will let me, a Hobart resident, know weather to go east, west or north or south, depending on what is happening.

As to how long, I advise people to ride around the state three times, taking about three weeks, first is a quick three day wizz around, so places that you want to pay more attention to are noticed, then a slow lap seeing the things noted on the first lap. The last lap is the (road bike) scratching lap, as your eye will be in by this time, and the twisty can be enjoyed.

I am a Queenslander, first moved down here in 1990, and am still finding new stuff to see and do.

See you all at the wooden boat show
^^^^ Wise words

The longer the better, you could never get bored down here... I'm 3 years in and I feel I've barely scratched the surface:
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
Bucket1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
OK.... What idiot spewed on the map

Just make the most of what time you can scam off work, but ever how long it is, double it at least

'09 R1200GSA amongst others
Bucket1960 is offline   Reply With Quote