User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 03:07 AM   #1
richo360 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Typical I guess....

A few weeks ago I was lucky to attend a 2015 launch of a major MC industry brand, with their full range of gear. Big dollars were spent on the launch, food beer, sexy girls, the lot.
As a part of this there was a highly regarded accessory manufacturer in attendance. I spend quite a bit of time talking to the bloke running his small partmof the show about his product.
And there and then decided I want.

So today, first thing, I ring a local moto shop. Recent opened, multi brand, no doubt the owner has bet his proverbial left nut on the new venture.

The bloke I speak to, when asked, says "yeah, we sell that gear like hot cakes. Cos of this, we always have plenty in stock" questioned further about particulars, " yes, we have it here to suit your application. Come on down"

Cool, methinks.

So at 4.30 this arvo, down I go.

To find, no stock to suit. I was, not surprisingly, a bit pissed off. ESpecially since I had not inconsiderable cash in my pocket ready to spend. Call it pre purchase anticipation.

I find the bloke I spoke to on the phone, he repeats his spiel about how much/many they sell, always keep stock. Blah blah fucking blah, like a mindless useless goon.

"So where? Says me. " is there more out the back?" Blank looks.

" do you have more stock on order?"
"Dunno, probably"
"When will it be here?"
" dunno. Soon" he could have checked stock orders, checked with his sales manager/stock/order manager, jumped on the computer.... Anything. But he did nothing.
" so what, should I ring you next week?" Perhaps, mistakenly, expecting some sort of pre-emptive reply about how they will take my number and contact me immediately this occurs.
More dumb looks. " may be the week after?" And leaves it hanging.

" we'll what do you suggest?" I wonder.
"We will order it in for you"
" but I need to see/check/make sure before I buy, and you said you had plenty in stock, so here I am......"I did call this morning about it , remember?"
"Um, yeah". No sorry, no further comment.

I walk out. Fuck em, with a bit stick.

I get in the car, ring another local(ish) bike shop.
Ask the same question. " I'll call you back in five"

And he does.
" yes, we have it here. I'll hold it for you, when do you think you can come in?"

I'll be there tomorrow, and walk out with the product, after handing over a pile of green bills.

And then write a polite email to the no doubt financially strung out owner of shop A about his useless staff member, with a copy of my receipt from shop B attached.

No doubt this shit happens every day. Unfortunately. But in the end, no one will really care, and another shop will close with the owner wondering what the hell happened.
Old Yesterday, 03:26 AM   #2
Russ

Oddometer: 15,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by richo360 View Post
A few weeks ago I was lucky to attend a 2015 launch of a major MC industry brand, with their full range of gear. Big dollars were spent on the launch, food beer, sexy girls, the lot.
As a part of this there was a highly regarded accessory manufacturer in attendance. I spend quite a bit of time talking to the bloke running his small partmof the show about his product.

So today, first thing, I ring a local moto shop. Recent opened, multi brand, no doubt the owner has bet his proverbial left nut on the new venture.

The bloke I speak to, when asked, says "yeah, we sell that gear like hot cakes. Cos of this, we always have plenty in stock" questioned further about particulars, " yes, we have it here to suit your application. Come on down"

Cool, methinks.

To find, no stock to suit. I was, not surprisingly, a bit pissed off. ESpecially since I had not inconsiderable cash in my pocket ready to spend. Call it pre purchase anticipation.

I find the bloke I spoke to on the phone, he repeats his spiel about how much/many they sell, always keep stock. Blah blah fucking blah, like a mindless useless goon.

"Dunno, probably"
"When will it be here?"
" dunno. Soon" he could have checked stock orders, checked with his sales manager/stock/order manager, jumped on the computer.... Anything. But he did nothing.
" so what, should I ring you next week?" Perhaps, mistakenly, expecting some sort of pre-emptive reply about how they will take my number and contact me immediately this occurs.

" but I need to see/check/make sure before I buy, and you said you had plenty in stock, so here I am......"I did call this morning about it , remember?"

And he does.
" yes, we have it here. I'll hold it for you, when do you think you can come in?"

I'll be there tomorrow, and walk out with the product, after handing over a pile of green bills.

And then write a polite email to the no doubt financially strung out owner of shop A about his useless staff member, with a copy of my receipt from shop B attached.

No doubt this shit happens every day. Unfortunately. But in the end, no one will really care, and another shop will close with the owner wondering what the hell happened.

Cliff notes.

"Richo360 went to a flash function, ate their food, drank their piss, stared at their women, went to buy overpriced item, it was not in stock, went elsewhere bought said item, paid too much. Then wastes everyones time having to read a rant that is worth no more than 2/10"
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM   #3
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:

You've done a good thing here by letting the owner know - he can't fix it if he doesn't know it's broken. If nothing changes be it on his own head.
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM   #4
richo360 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Cliff notes.

"Richo360 went to a flash function, ate their food, drank their piss, stared at their women, went to buy overpriced item, it was not in stock, went elsewhere bought said item, paid too much. Then wastes everyones time having to read a rant that is worth no more than 2/10"
Well shit.
I had my time wasted, so I've now paid it forward to you Russ.
Enjoy.

Side note:
If I posted pics of said girls bewbs would I get a better score?
Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM   #5
narcas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
It would go a long way towards helping us understand your frustration.......
narcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #6
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,065
Thumb

Quote:
Side note:
I'm guesssin'....! ... yes? or... at least, give it a try and see...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM   #7
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,532
Quote:
Well shit.
I had my time wasted, so I've now paid it forward to you Russ.
Enjoy.
Side note:
No, you'd get banned.
Thanks for taking the time to highlight - yet again - just how piss-poor the customer service can be in Melbourne bike shops.
Clearly it's astronomically better in Sydney.
By taking the time to alert the business owner, you're doing him - and us - a favour. What's that old expression? "If you're happy with our service, tell your friends; if you're not, tell us".
The treatment you received is a sacking offence in my business: the man's simply not doing the job for which he's paid.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM   #8
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,867
I've ran businesses, and unfortunately the employees either steal, are lazy or bad mouth the very business that is feeding them. Unless you trust an employee with your life you need to be there and "in the game"...
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM   #9
Tenerrod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Why write an email?
When that stuff happens to me (twice so far)
I just find the most senior person their and tell them why l am going down the road.
And don't bother other people with my gripes.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM   #10
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtreemLEE View Post
I've ran businesses, and unfortunately the employees either steal, are lazy or bad mouth the very business that is feeding them. Unless you trust an employee with your life you need to be there and "in the game"...
Richo… I feel your pain mate. (and agree with LEE to a point)
I have a number of friends’ acquaintances who own bike dealerships (in both Sweden and Oz) who struggle with this very same difficulty regularly over the last ten years or so.
It’s a well known saying that good help is hard to find… none moreso than in the bike sales and parts/spares/accessories game it seems. The older, more experienced personnel become fewer and farther between as years pass and (understandably) as they get on in life (family, increased work responsibility, increasing cost of living etc.) so too, the expectation that the salary increases accordingly.
On the other hand, there are (often) any number of young (dumb) guns, eager to work in the cool glitz and glamour world of a motorcycle dealership, who accordingly command a considerably lower wage, quite aside from various government incentives/schemes etc. that are put in place to encourage youth employment. Not to mention the fact that many of these products of the modern day schooling system come out of the education pasta press with all the basic math and English skills of gibbon.
I can’t even begin to recall the number of times I’ve seen a completely stumped 18/19 year old (manning the counter at your local fast food ‘n beverage joint ) who is completely F#¤%ed at the prospect of having to work out the change owed, if for some reason the cash till/calculator isn’t working and provides the answer FOR them?!
But I digress… there is also the ever increasing presence of “on line/internet shopping”, which has over the last decade placed even more pressure on the motorcycle shop owner to cut overheads/personnel costs etc. making the “young gun” alternative, even more attractive.
I have at least four good mates, with long standing successful dealerships, who have all personally suffered the “you pay peanuts… you end up with a monkey” syndrome, when it comes to recruiting shop staff. Of the blokes I know, most have come to the conclusion that it’s better to pay more, for an older more experienced salesperson, than have a couple of half useless sales assistants, that stand around in their Red BULL X-fighters t-shirts, FOX pit shorts and factory Dianese pit sneakers, then have to ask the boss the answer to their customers question/enquiries in any case.

Hopefully you rant Richo, helps bring this to the dealer in questions attention... before - as you say - it all ends in the toilet.
I blame the modern day mx magazines and the school system… there’s no informative material imparted by either of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM   #11
southern cross
WARDY

Oddometer: 307
Thanks for the post Richo. I think it's a worthwhile reminder for the industry to to keep an eye on the ball and for them to remind their staff staff that it's the dollars coming the door that gives them a job. If the staff are not making money for the company then they are costing the company money. I once had 4 on staff and my workload and worry dropped as one by one I got rid of them.
I'm sure the boss would appreciate your effort to alert him( or her ) that he lost a large sale. How would he know otherwise? You did him and future customers a favour.
From time to time I have sales staff ask me do I need a receipt? You bet I do. If I say don't bother with a receipt I'm sure those dollars will not reach the boss, straight into the staffs back pocket. As a kid I had a christmas holiday job with a small menswear shop and the salesman said "this is how you do it " .... and how to pilfer. That shop failed one year later and the owner ended up a salesmen for Grace Bros. He tried to have a go in his own business but his staff broke him.
Finding and keeping good staff is a major problem for business.
southern cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM   #12
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,476
Go on name and shame the shop and tell what product you were after.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #13
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,935
Nah! This is oztrailyeah...unfair dismissal laws and you in mans...the boss doesn't ave a chance. Go vigilante for him, wait a couple of weeks until the boss has had his chance to give a formal warning, provide the monkey with and an alternative safe working environment taking into consideration said monkeys needs and personal insufficiencies....somehow avoiding strike action or a workcover case....then send in the hairiest smelliest mate you know on the busiest day. When the time is right " You filthy bztrd...how dare you touch me there " Perhaps have a few others in the shop to start a scene of jealousy " but you said I was the one" et al ? Remember to post footage on U lube.

The boss is probably still going to be facing an unfair dissmissal case, but the monkey is going to be having a very unpleasant week when everyone elses hairy smelly mates come vissiting
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM   #14
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Cliff notes.

2/10 - way way way to generous Russ
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM   #15
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:

Cool, methinks.

"Dunno, probably"
"When will it be here?"

And he does.

This week on "Undercover Shopper Street"

Owner logs on.... he's ropeable about what Richo said last week and is thinking seriously about calling in Toadie, the lawyer from next door.

Mindless Useless Goon explains to Boss that Richo tried to pay with green money and when Mindy checked with Danniiii in the office she said they only take the ordinary pink, red, blue or yellow stuff.

Its all just another hilarious misunderstanding!

Next week: mysterious behind the scenes communications, rumours of freebies and the great big reconciliation scene......could there be a wedding in the air?