User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
riderako OP
125cc rider

Oddometer: 30
a Pinoy rider wants to do Great Ocean Road

Hello everyone! I'm from the Philippines and this June, I might go to Melbourne for a work-related training. I don't have specifics yet but I am sure I want to get on a bike and see the 12 Apostles.

I have researched a few aspects of riding a motorcycle in Australia but I'm still unsure of a couple of things which I will ask later on if you haven't shared yet.. Since I ride a Honda Wave 125 and I have never been on anything higher than 200cc, I am only looking to rent a scooter. I have browsed a few rentals in Melbourne like Garners but I'm a little concerned with the paperwork and conditions (50kms radius, etc).

I am hoping a private rental would be easier and cheaper. I would also appreciate if someone can actually join me for the ride. Any takers?

Please also feel free to post/ask about things I should consider for this bucket list ride attempt. It would be a shame if I will only see Melbourne on a tram and not on two wheels.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Hi Doms, as a fellow scooter rider I applaud your plans to try and take in some of our local sights and sounds on 2 wheels.

Sadly, scooting does not have the same number of adherents here as it does in Asia, and you are quite limited in your options. Apart from Garners, the only other option I can think of is http://themotogod.com.au which is located at the beginning of the Great Ocean Road (GOR) itself. This may be a better option for you - take a bus down to Torquay, and then rent a bike to ride the GOR - as the weather in June is not pleasant and you won't enjoy the freeway ride from Melbourne to Torquay very much on a scooter.

I was fortunate to be in the reverse situation to yourself when I was over in Manila on business 5 years back - rented a Honda scooter to visit Taal Lake after taking a bus from Manila to Talisay.

Finding a private rental locally is going to be a challenge as extending insurance coverage to an overseas rider is not easy, and most scooters here tend to be on the larger capacity side (e.g. my Burgman 650).
Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
Far end

If you make it to the end of the GOR and you can afford to make it a longer trip than one day, then may I suggest you travel to Portland. We have a large Phillipina population who are sure to make you welcome to stay.

PM me if you want me to contact my Phillipina friends on you behalf.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,454
Hi Doms
As already said, the weather can be quite unpleasant here in June; if it is, wait 15 minutes and it will change - but you do stand a good chance of rain, cold and wind - none of which will be pleasant on a small scooter.
Also, be aware that looking out from the Great Ocean Road, the next nearest piece of land is Antarctica....
And only 7 of the 12 Apostles are still there - the rest are sleeping on the job and have fallen down. But the trip is still very worthwhile: there's a stretch where wild koalas live in the trees over the road - just be careful where you park and walk while you look for them!
The GOR can be quite busy and heavily policed, especially on weekends: speed is about the only crime that our Police are interested in and the penalties are ridiculously high.
As Farquar has said, there's a pretty boring 100+ km stretch from Melbourne down the freeway towards the GOR; it's the quickest way to get there, but there are more interesting backroads where you will see some typical Aussie towns, rather than just another faceless city.
Do you feel up to hiring a 250cc bike, rather than a scooter? If so, you might have more options, and be more comfortable. It would be worth it to make a weekend trip and stay overnight somewhere like Lorne or Apollo Bay, allowing some time for exploring.
Whatever you choose to do - good luck and have fun!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
riderako OP
125cc rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Hi Doms, as a fellow scooter rider I applaud your plans to try and take in some of our local sights and sounds on 2 wheels.

Sadly, scooting does not have the same number of adherents here as it does in Asia, and you are quite limited in your options. Apart from Garners, the only other option I can think of is http://themotogod.com.au which is located at the beginning of the Great Ocean Road (GOR) itself. This may be a better option for you - take a bus down to Torquay, and then rent a bike to ride the GOR - as the weather in June is not pleasant and you won't enjoy the freeway ride from Melbourne to Torquay very much on a scooter.

I was fortunate to be in the reverse situation to yourself when I was over in Manila on business 5 years back - rented a Honda scooter to visit Taal Lake after taking a bus from Manila to Talisay.

Finding a private rental locally is going to be a challenge as extending insurance coverage to an overseas rider is not easy, and most scooters here tend to be on the larger capacity side (e.g. my Burgman 650).
I'm glad you've been to our humble archipelago. I live 30 minutes from Taal.

I have also checked motogod but I have not yet sent any inquiries directly to them. I do hope they would allow a scooter to go as far as where I wanted to go.

Thank you for mentioning insurance. I haven't considered that at all. Here, as long as the bike is insured, no one cares who's on it.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
riderako OP
125cc rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
PM me if you want me to contact my Phillipina friends on you behalf.
Thank you for the offer. I will keep that in mind if this will push thru..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Hi Doms
As already said, the weather can be quite unpleasant here in June; if it is, wait 15 minutes and it will change - but you do stand a good chance of rain, cold and wind - none of which will be pleasant on a small scooter.
Also, be aware that looking out from the Great Ocean Road, the next nearest piece of land is Antarctica....
And only 7 of the 12 Apostles are still there - the rest are sleeping on the job and have fallen down. But the trip is still very worthwhile: there's a stretch where wild koalas live in the trees over the road - just be careful where you park and walk while you look for them!
The GOR can be quite busy and heavily policed, especially on weekends: speed is about the only crime that our Police are interested in and the penalties are ridiculously high.
As Farquar has said, there's a pretty boring 100+ km stretch from Melbourne down the freeway towards the GOR; it's the quickest way to get there, but there are more interesting backroads where you will see some typical Aussie towns, rather than just another faceless city.
Do you feel up to hiring a 250cc bike, rather than a scooter? If so, you might have more options, and be more comfortable. It would be worth it to make a weekend trip and stay overnight somewhere like Lorne or Apollo Bay, allowing some time for exploring.
Whatever you choose to do - good luck and have fun!
Really lots of useful info there Precis. I am not too concerned of the rain as I think I had my fair share at much worse conditions since the we also get a lot of rain here. But if temperature will be added to the equation, I am not too sure anymore.

The police would really be trouble. Not that I plan to be reckless but I'm afraid an ignorant tourist like me would miss or misinterpret a sign/law that would get me in trouble. At this point, I realize that ignorant is just as dangerous as reckless.

A 250cc would be a more ideal choice but since I don't have much experience riding a bike with manual clutch, it would be another thing to worry.

you see, there are really more problems to worry planning this trip. It's a long shot to say the least.. But please keep the ideas coming. I still haven't given up on this
Old 05-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Kumusta Dom.

You WILL freeze down on the GOR in June.... it is the middle of our winter here.

The rain is not like the Fils where the temperature is still in the mid 20's to low 30's, here it is 7 to 15 degrees with a high wind chill factor.

My wife is a Filipina [though now an Australian citizen] and has been in Australia for about twelve years now, at 20 degrees here in Sydney she is looking for a jacket to keep warm.

I'm an ex Victorian from the Western District, over the side where the GOR is, I'm used to low temperatures and cold winds.

You need to allow more than one day to do the ride too, three would be good if you can manage it.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:08 AM   #8
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,281
Was in Manila last week.

Lots of this

But also some neat stuff too

Old 05-14-2014, 04:27 AM   #9
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,802
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Was in Manila last week.

Lots of this

But also some neat stuff too

Did ya take a tricycle ride? It's an absolute pisser... I don't actually fit in the side car, so I can't see where the hell we were going... couldn't stop laughing, they're a hoot!

That scooter looks cool.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #10
riderako OP
125cc rider

Hi everyone! I've been here in Melbourne for almost 2 weeks now.. Driving on the left is more challenging than i thought. And this is just from me as a pedestrian. Staying on the left side of the road might be easy enough but when trams, roundabouts, bike lanes, etc are added to the equation, it's pretty confusing.

Therefore, i have accepted the fact i won't be able to ride the GOR. At best, i might just rent a bicycle instead. Thank you all for the warm welcome to your board and for sharing your thoughts on this matter.

Cheers!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #11
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,454
Ah well - maybe next time. Better safe than soryy - and the GOR should be there for a while yet.
So, what do you think of hook turns?
And thanks for bringing the unusually warm weather with you!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:24 AM   #12
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderako View Post
Therefore, i have accepted the fact i won't be able to ride the GOR. At best, i might just rent a bicycle instead.
Cheers!
Have you tried a hook turn yet?
The GOR would be terrible this weekend, but last week it would've been worth a shot.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,414
Do you have much time left? There are plenty of tour company's that run small group day or overnight tours up the Great Ocean Road.
I'd recommend an overnight tour if you can. It's a long way to go one way in a day, let alone there and back!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
if you get to Sydney.

Hi Dom,

If you make it to Sydney at any time message me and we will try to show you around a little (might even have a spare bike you could ride if lucky).

My Tagalog is minimal but I'm married to a Filo so I have a personal translator

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #15
riderako OP
125cc rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
So, what do you think of hook turns?!

[QUOTE=boxerboy81;24376895]Have you tried a hook turn yet? /QUOTE]
Hook turns are crazy! Im staying along St Kilda and i see it all the time. Still, i would be nervous as f**k if Im to do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul View Post
Do you have much time left? There are plenty of tour company's that run small group day or overnight tours up the Great Ocean Road.
A few guys from work has already offered to drive me there but honestly Id rather not see it if not on 2wheels. That seems to be the case as of the moment. I might have to swallow my pride later on and see the GOR in a cozy cage. Im here till end of July.