Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
ogri88 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Cry Darien Gap / Panama to Colombia Sea Crossings

UPDATE AS OF FRI 12 JUNE 2015
I just got contacted by a rider in Panama City who after a few days of searching has apparently found a San Blass boat to take her and her moyorcycle (xr250 - a fellow kicker!) across to Colombia.

I have asked that she post what boat she goes on and how she found it, and any other details.

It'll be nice to be proved wrong on this issue!!

Original Post:
Hey guys,

I am still reading on these forums that people think there are still sailing boats carrying motorcycles on the San Blas routes between Colombia and Panama! WRONG.

About 4 weeks ago, coinciding unhelpfully with the ferry also shutting down, Panama Customs forbade future motorcycle passages on the San Blas sailing boats. ALL of them, Steelrat, included guys!

After a week in Panama City trying to find a boat to take the bike I had to give in and pay the $1200 to fly myself and the bike.

Word on the street in Panama is they are also not expecting the ferry to return in the autumn due to lack of demand.

I did meet a Brazilian biker who claimed that there are some Cargo boats operating between Turbo, Colombia and Panama who will take motorcycles for $300, but you have to be comfortable with going to the docks and finding them. I wasn't. Also, by Panama rules these cargo boats can't carry passengers apparently.

ogri88 screwed with this post 06-12-2015 at 07:45 AM
ogri88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 794
and here i thought panama was a more progressive latin american country...nope. same arbitrary horseshit as the rest of 'em
Old 05-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogri88 View Post
Hey guys,

I am still reading on these forums that people think there are still sailing boats carrying motorcycles on the San Blas routes between Colombia and Panama! WRONG.

About 4 weeks ago, coinciding unhelpfully with the ferry also shutting down, Panama Customs forbade future motorcycle passages on the San Blas sailing boats. ALL of them, Steelrat, included guys!

After a week in Panama City trying to find a boat to take the bike I had to give in and pay the $1200 to fly myself and the bike.

Word on the street in Panama is they are also not expecting the ferry to return in the autumn due to lack of demand.

I did meet a Brazilian biker who claimed that there are some Cargo boats operating between Turbo, Colombia and Panama who will take motorcycles for $300, but you have to be comfortable with going to the docks and finding them. I wasn't. Also, by Panama rules these cargo boats can't carry passengers apparently.

Who did you fly with? Can you please provide details! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
ogri88 OP
Adventurer

Eek girag air freight for Panama to Colombia

I used a company called 'Girag' to fly the bike from Panama City Tokuman cargo airport - easy to find, and Girag is sign posted.

BE WARNED:
1. Girag fly once a week, on Friday to Colombia

2. They only accept cash! $900 - I got stuck in Panama for 2 days doing daily atm runs!

3. When you arrive at the Girag office at Bogota airport they will NOT assist you in any way! Seriously - they said they didn't have it at their warehouse and sent me on a 2 hour wild goose chase across the airport before I found it - with LAN Air in a different terminal.

4. LAN air then charged me $50 to 'release' the shipping manifest needed for Customs

5. THIS NEXT ONE IS A BIGGIE! I give it to you after nearly stroking out with frustration - after finally finding the bike and getti g the paperwork - 4 1/2 hours in! - Bogota Customs will ask you for a rubbing of the VIN and Engine numbers! A first for my Latin America ride, but I guess they can't 'spare' someone to actually look at the motorbike? ( rub a dry erase marker over the VIN, place a strip of clear tape over it and press on. Now remove the tape and place it on a white piece of paper. That is what they need, and you can do it pre trip - advisable if you have a bike where the Vin is partially obscured by oil lines and oil cooler like my xr400!! Then it 'only' took a final hour to do my final (5th!) walk 1/4 mile, 12 lanes of traffic from the cargo terminal to and from the Customs building for the paperwork (where the officer forgot to add my last name to BOTH the Temporary Vehicle Permit - check them every time guys, seriously. It's on you if it's wrong and you try to leave).

Total cost - $950 + $180 VillaColombia flight for me + $20 in taxis from and back to airport, and about 6 months off life in raised blood pressure.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
ogri88 OP
Adventurer

Water Route Update

I met 2 US guys on DR650 's and they said they managed to do a modified sail boat crossing. I asked them to post details, not sure if thy have yet.

Basically they said they found a sail boat to take them to the edge of Panama territory, where they were dropped off amd had to wait 2 days before they could negotiate a ride on the water taxis with their bikes. They told me it cost them over $1,000 each - basically the same as my flying across, but they got a more adventurous crossing ....

Hopefully they will post details here or on HUBB at some point!
Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
NorwegianTool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Thanks for informing us buddy!
NorwegianTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
ogri88 OP
Adventurer

Possible change?

A fellow inmate just emailed me and said she had found a San Blass boat to take her from Panama to Colombia - I asked her to post details as that would be great.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Lilbloody
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogri88 View Post
A fellow inmate just emailed me and said she had found a San Blass boat to take her from Panama to Colombia - I asked her to post details as that would be great.
Hey folks. Yup, I just found a sailboat that is willing to take bikes. It's a 60-footer; less than half the size of the Stahlratte. But they've taken bikes before, so I'm choosing to throw my trust into the situation.

DETAILS:
Boat name - Wildcard
Captain - a kiwi named John; though this trip is being piloted by a European. I think his name is Huehue (sp?). He/they have a fairly good rep based on a couple of other ride reports and blogs I've read... but we shall see...
Arranged through Mamallena Hostel in Panama City. Tel +507-393-6611 / +507-6676-6163. Email info@mamallena.com.
Cost - $1100 ($550 per person, $550 per bike) plus another $30 or so for a Colombian customs agent. This includes 5 days of food and shelter and all the wackiness one hopes for in the San Blas islands.
This particular voyage departs out of Portobello on June 18. Are they taking more bikes after this trip? Don't know.. probably, if it goes ok.

Now here's the kicker. It's unclear exactly what is going to go down with the customs process. I've been told all I really have to do is hand my paperwork over to the captain, then they have an agent who will handle things on the Colombian side. To be safe, I'm going through the same processes required by the expired FerryXpress. I went to get the bike inspected this morning by the police here in Panama in order to obtain a DIJ certification. Then, next week, a day or so before boarding the boat, I'll go to Colon to get my vehicle import permit cancelled, presenting the DIJ to them in the process. If they ask how I'm getting to Colombia, I'm going to tell them that I'm hiring one of the banana boats that can legally take cargo... because technically sailboats are still not allowed to carry "cargo" (which a motorcycle is classified as). Then I'll have to trust the agent on the other side (who presumably speaks Spanish and knows the customs officials) to get me legal in Colombia.

SO..... it's still a bit of a risk as it always is and was I think... hopefully it'll be worth it. I will happily post what happens when the time comes.

Cheers,
Heather

http://thefrighteningandbeautiful.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/thefrighteningandbeautiful
Lilbloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
mardar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
New Ferry Panama - Colombia

Hi to all bikers,

the Ferry from the austrian fellow Fritz will start his business at the end of the month.

Check it out:

http://www.sanblasferry.com/index.html
mardar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 1,002
Last time I spoke with Captain of Stahlratte, he said he is still transporting bike between Panama and Colombia.. unless these ferry give better price, I'll stick with Stahlratte and do some island hopping before sailing cross the caribbean sea for few hundred bucks more. Snorkeling and some jump off the rope fun sounds fun too..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
PDublYu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Last time I spoke with Captain of Stahlratte, he said he is still transporting bike between Panama and Colombia.. unless these ferry give better price, I'll stick with Stahlratte and do some island hopping before sailing cross the caribbean sea for few hundred bucks more. Snorkeling and some jump off the rope fun sounds fun too..
Same here. I'm booked for Oct 9th.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #12
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDublYu View Post
Same here. I'm booked for Oct 9th.
Cool! I got my settlement check few days ago.. plan to send full amount to Stahlratte but I haven't decide on which slot I want.. I'll probably have better idea once I know which day I am leaving next month.

In case anyone want to know.. here is the schedule: (Please note that it is tentative and subject to change)

leaving san blas 17.sep ending cartagena 20.sep
leaving cartagena 29.sep ending san blas 02.oct
leaving san blas 09.oct ending cartagena 12.oct
leaving cartagena 17.oct ending san blas 19.oct (short tour)
leaving san blas 23.oct ending cartagena 26.oct
leaving cartagena 02.nov ending san blas 05.nov
leaving san blas 12.nov ending cartagena 15.nov
Old 06-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #13
Stahlratte
Sea Gypsy

Oddometer: 35
Thanks a lot guys:)
(There are earlier trips too, starting July 17th...)
Stahlratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #14
Dirtshow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I sure wish they'd get this figured out already. Seems like every time I hear about the Darien Gap the rules are changing.
Dirtshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #15
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtshow View Post
I sure wish they'd get this figured out already. Seems like every time I hear about the Darien Gap the rules are changing.
Welcome to Latin America!!