Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
NelloCH OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Help/advise for broken dr650 in Mexico

Hola
It's my first post so please be kind if I didn't post in the right thread.
I am Nello, I'm from Switzerland and riding south from the US (at the moment I am near Puebla in Mexico) on a 2002 suzuki DR650 with the intention to travel for 2-3 more months.

But on sunday approaching a curve I slowed down to around 50mph when suddenly the rear wheel blocked completely. I drifted for 20-30 meters and then I fell off the bike that ended up on one side of the road. I rolled a few meters on the other side of the road. Fortunately I'm ok, just a "scrath" on my hand and couple of holes in the gear. The bike has 19000 miles and I didn't notice any kind of sign or noise before the accident.

Since monday I'm in Atlixco where the nearest suzuki dealer is located. The mechanic disassembled the bike and found that the gearbox is broken and it consequently destroyed as well the crankcase (I added a couple of pictures for the moto-pathologists that love to see this kind of things). Their estimation is 25000 pesos and 30 days to repair the bike (the main parts are not availabe in mexico, they would come from Japan).

I am now checking if there are other ways to solve this situation in a faster and cheaper way. I know the Advrider community proved to be a great help in similar cases.
1. One option would be to order the parts in the US or check in Guatemala (I saw on http://www.olx.com.gt/ that there are several used dr650, so maybe parts are available too). It would probably be faster then wait for the parts to come from Japan. But I don't know the cost and difficulty (customs issues?) to ship from US to Mexico.
2. On ebay I found "half engine" of 2007 in the US, but there may be some compatibility problems: the cylinder, head and gasket (that are ok on my bike and should be mounted on the 2007 engine) have different numbers in 2002 and 2007. Does it mean the 2002 cylinder will not fit on the 2007 Ebay parts? Also I don't know the cost and difficulty (customs issues?) to ship from US to Mexico. Here as well the shipping may be an issue.
3. I would love to find the (used) parts I need somewhere in Mexico, that should make the reparation cheaper and faster.

Any answer to my doubts, any suggestion, possible support (contacts?) or comment, would be appreciated.
Nello

NelloCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Dang,might be simpler to try to find another bike. Either in the states or there, If that doesnt go back together right it could get even more expensive, 2002 maybe worth 2200.00 tops all together.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
I'd second the "find a new bike" sentiment. Having lived in Mexico for a few years, I'm confident you'd spend 1 month minimum getting that thing going again. Probably more. The downer is that you'll lose your TVIP deposit if you don't remove the carcass of your DR from the country. Maybe you can get the police to call it an "accident" though and somehow recoup your deposit that way. If I were in your shoes, I'd hit mercadolibre or anumex and find the nearest affordable bike and get riding ASAP. Good luck.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
New the DR650 is about 95000 MXN and the exchange rate is good now at 13:1. I think that is a good deal. That includes Mexican plate. Your call.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...r+suzuki+DR650

Kiko screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 10:43 AM
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
NelloCH OP
n00b

Thank you for your comments. Yes, a new bike would be faster (and there are a couple of options for around 40k pesos) but I would completely lose the value of mine, difficult that someone would give me $ for a foreign bike that needs that amount to be repaired and imported. Furthermore my DR has some mods to make it "adapted" to my trip (tank, seat, springs, luggage,...) that I wouldn't have in another one.
My first choice at the moment is check the compatibility of the engine/transmission I found in the US or buy new parts in the US. Even better if an old engine would show up in mex. Should be faster then 30 days and I could go on with the bike I did choose.
Anyway monday/tuesday nothing will happen here because of the national holiday...so I can check the options related to the US.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Woods Cycle Country out of New Braunfel Texas can ship new Suzuki parts to Mexico. They use another dealer in Laredo for the import process. Talk with Julio Castro in parts.

Or you might find a Suzuki Freewind 650 somewhere in Mexico, not sure but the motors look identical to the DR650. DRs were not imported into Mexico until 2013 I think so they may be scarce.

There used to be a guy in Laredo who would ship moto parts to Mexico and get the pkg thru Aduana for a small fee. Let me know if you want his contact info.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Maybe flying or bussing back to the USA and buying something like this:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4646128157.html

would be the fastest, cheapest way to get on the road. If you bought another DR650 you could transfer your accessories over to the new bike. Does leave the problem of the import permit.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

You might want to research the new Latin America Ebay/Estafeta offering:

http://www.internetretailer.com/2014...-latin-america

Some local chatter here>

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/inde...howtopic=51189

Occasionally you can find a complete DR650 motor on ebay for 700 -1200 USD. You may be able to use this ebay/estafeta promotion to have it shipped to you (if you drain all of the fluids.) I would call Estafeta offices in Laredo to confirm if a motor is eligible.

I'm not familiar with this offer but it may be worth your while to do some due diligence.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
did you get travel insurance like Medjet assist?

If so, there are some provisions for transporting the bike out of the country if totaled.

I think even my mexican insurance had a provision for that. I never needed it, but it might be worth looking at.

If you and you want to start over from Denver, I just put mine up for sale today.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
NelloCH OP
n00b

Wilder rider: I bought my bike in Denver and I wasn't very lucky, maybe I should not insist with denver...

Kiko: thank you for the very useful info. By chance I met an italian guy living here that put me in contact with a mechanic with a friend in Laredo that may help me for border crossing+transport if I buy the parts in US. If the 2007 engine I found on ebay is compatible with my 2002 (tomorrow I should get confirmation), a solution seems to take shape thank to him. If not, your suggestions or www.motosport.com (they ship in mexico in few days) will be my next move.

I will keep you updated.