User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Wearin' Tread off the KLR -- Buncha Stuff In and Around Northern VT

Last week, I picked up a relatively virgin '07 KLR from an inmate here in VT. Thanks, Bob. In the ensuing 1000 miles this week, I've been pickin' some dual-sport plums that were a little sketchy on my R90/6. Yeah, they're all dirt bikes. This one works a little better than my BMW classic. I think I may need a new rear soon -- funny, it looked pretty fresh five days ago. Tire, that is. Mebbe I should spoon on a new butt, also.

All these rides are in some of the least populated areas in the Northeast. It's strange, because only three-to-five hours out of the most densely populated areas, there are places with virtually no full-time residents. That's where I chose to ride.

For those of you coming off the Puppy Dog and wanting more, here's the goods.

Thursday, I thought to examine the roads around Victory Bog. The bog is bounded by VT routes 2, 114, and NH 3/VT 102. Inside of that rough quadrangle, there is perhaps a mile of pavement. The roads are typically marbles on hardpan. Somewhere near the Victory Town Clerk's office is the road leading to the abandoned East Mountain radar base. With a set of maps and a gps, there's a few good days to be had there. The solitude can be magnificent. It's been compared to Alaska.

Going a little further north, one gets into the Yellow Bog/Silvio O Conte National Wildlife Refuge road system in Essex County. This can be accessed from various points from VT 114 between Island Pond and Bloomfield, VT. Dirt roads diverge both ways. Today, I did a run which started at Stone Dam Road and took me up to the Canadian border along a high-voltage transmission line. I was a little leery of the power line (cautious of breast cancer, I guess) but it afforded fantastic views of mountainous terrain. Game birds in abundance -- grouse, quail, and woodcock. Also saw either an eagle or a very large falcon pop from a tree. With correct maps, this is a good place to waste several days. The roads are generally decent dirt/gravel, with some wash-outs and softball-sized rocks here and there. One can average about 25-30 mph without hanging it out at all. Those with bigger stones or large ovaries could likely double that. I don't want the ground to rise up and smite me.

There are sign-posts, but no signs. Have your maps and tracks ready.

Finally, I caught the Indian Stream Road in the northwestern part of New Hampshire. Look for the Indian Stream Cantina in Pittsburg, NH off of US 3 and turn left. I could have ridden it on the R90. Well-groomed gravel the whole way. There are numerous signs prohibiting ATVs and trail bikes, but as I had a plate and signals, everyone was friendly. Just before mile marker 16, a walking trail goes off to left to Indian Stream Canyon. It's the goods, and well worth a dismount and walkabout. I was completely alone in the canyon, which was spooky. A large male deer grunted me away from his herd. If you're a bit better prepared than I was, I suggest strapping on a fishing rod and spending more time. As it was, the weather was coming in and I scooted out.

Sorry for the lack of pics, but I suspect you'll take your own.

Dr.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote