Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Hoaruptop OP
old Hoar

Oddometer: 17
Phone as GPS

Picked up a Sony Z3v D6708 from Verizon, phone has crazy specifications, Military IP65 and IP68, water and dust proof. Battery life is stupidly long. Have had 5.2" screen on for 6 hours straight using the Net (4G LTE) and only used 50% battery, phone barely got warm.
If you are looking for a phone to use as a GPS and want tough, fast, water and dust Military specifications, long battery life, do yourself a favor pick up a Sony Z3v.

You can dive into a pool and take underwater pictures with the stupid thing if you want.
Hoaruptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
OSUgasman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks for the info. What were you using before this? I'm a little nervous about moving from an iPhone though..... Do want something to double for GPS. Screen ok in direct sunlight?
OSUgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 51,525
While it sounds like a great phone, and a useful back-up, I have yet to find a phone GPS that worked as well as a dedicated GPS. But maybe that is just me and I expect more from a GPS than most.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,219
My Galaxy is better than the 3 nuvi's I have. I try them every weekend in the car going to unknown towns for my kids hockey. It beats the Nuvi's every time.

Also, if I look up a town on my tablet at home, then bring up nav on the phone it'll recognize the addresses that was my tablet last and add it on the phone as recently viewed destinations. This is a great feature as it's much easier to search on a 10" tablet then a 4.5in phone.

Can also bluetooth music, phone, and directions from the phone to the bikes intercom. I know some garmins can do that, but none of mine for all three.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
BvilleBud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
My phone GPS is great, but I don't use it on the motorcycle. I want a GPS that is water resistant (nothing is waterproof), something that if it rattles off my handlebars and hits the pavement I can use something else to call for help, and something with regular replaceable batteries I can buy in a convenience store if my GPS batteries die. My needs may not be yours and that is fine, but for those reasons and more I'll take the "regular" GPS over my perhaps better phone GPS.

BvilleBud screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 02:51 PM
BvilleBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
Hoaruptop OP
old Hoar

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUgasman View Post
Thanks for the info. What were you using before this? I'm a little nervous about moving from an iPhone though..... Do want something to double for GPS. Screen ok in direct sunlight?
Screen is a IPS LED so pretty good outside in direct sunlight, lot of the others use AMOLED not a fan of. I came from a LG Spectrum it too had a IPS display, I like the IPS displays, before that the OG Droid by Motorola. Not my first smartphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvilleBud View Post
My phone GPS is great, but I don't use it on the motorcycle. I want a GPS that is water resistant (nothing is waterproof), something that if it hits the pavement I can use something else to call for help, and something with regular replaceable batteries I can buy in a convenience store if my GPS batteries die. My needs may not be yours and that is fine, but for those reasons and more I'll take the "regular" GPS over my perhaps better phone GPS.
Man the battery life on the Sony Z3v is stupidly long, I do 6-plus hours SOT (Screen on time) and it only had a 50% loss in battery, can charge from a 12v socket on bike in a few hours, you can take pictures under water with the stupid thing, 5.2" screen, they have small recharge packs that you can carry that recharge the battery if needed when you are out in the boonies. The phone has a "Stamina Mode" to conserve battery which I have never used yet, so it can potentially do even better.

Hoaruptop screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 03:03 PM
Hoaruptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,116
I found that Verizon was going to be carrying the Experia Z3 after I had ordered my Note 4.
I'm really glad I have the Note 4, but I would have liked to check out the Z3 first. generally that are Euro only and hard to find in the US.
The Note 4 AMOLED is actually better and brighter that pretty much any before it, and it is actually VERY bright in direct sunlight, so I'm happy.

A work of caution, I have a Sony SW2 watch. It is claimed waterproof. My first one failed when it got wet. Even though the watch is labeled waterproof (or IP6 or whatthehellevery they call it) the Sony warranty actually says that they do NOT warranty failures from water damage. Luckily, mine failed only a week after buying it and the selling company simply replaced it for me. When I called Sony, they said I was out of luck. So use the waterproof spec with care. I believe mine leaked around the charging plug cap.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #8
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
My Galaxy is better than the 3 nuvi's I have.
And better then the 3 478's 2 76CX's, Zumo 550, and Montana 650 I had as well. Maybe it's just me but I have yet to find a Garmin that can live up to my expectations. I guess I expect more out of a dedicated GPS then most, so I have made the switch to a smartphone.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #9
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaruptop View Post
Picked up a Sony Z3v D6708 from Verizon, phone has crazy specifications, Military IP65 and IP68, water and dust proof. Battery life is stupidly long. Have had 5.2" screen on for 6 hours straight using the Net (4G LTE) and only used 50% battery, phone barely got warm.
If you are looking for a phone to use as a GPS and want tough, fast, water and dust Military specifications, long battery life, do yourself a favor pick up a Sony Z3v.

You can dive into a pool and take underwater pictures with the stupid thing if you want.
are you planning to use a bumper/case kind of thing on it to protect from falls ?
are you planning to mount it on the bike, if so, how ?

post up some impressions of the external speaker loudness, gps lock times, cellular signal, call clarity, all that good stuff when you get a chance.

and by all means please post your DISLIKES too. it helps a lot for folks to get first-hand positives and negatives about a device. just knowing it has an IPS display is a huge plus, keep em coming.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
While it sounds like a great phone, and a useful back-up, I have yet to find a phone GPS that worked as well as a dedicated GPS. But maybe that is just me and I expect more from a GPS than most.
Or you're not using the phone to its fullest capabilities.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 285
I'm using the MotionX app for my iPhone 5S. I've got an older Garmin that simply isn't up to the off-road task.

My considerations are to get the Montana 650T and deal with Basemaps (which is great, just quirky) OR mount up an iPad mini in an Otter Box running MotionX for iPad.

I'm leaning (even though it has added size) to the iPad combo. The MotionX app is really nice, does a zillion things and is stable. Putting it on an iPad would make it even more readable and free up the phone as a back-up (or redundant) device. I don't like all of my eggs in one basket just in case of breakage, etc.

Has someone used an iPad in the car, etc?

Your input is appreciated. I have played around with a limited number of the newer GPS stand-alone devices recently and have found that the recovery time, ease of use and flexibility of the iPad/iPhone devices trumps the GPS units, IMO.

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote