Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
My poor 276c

About 8 years ago I got the 276c with the Thailand navigator, and it changed my life. I lived in Thailand and suddenly I was never in the "totally lost" situation again.
I've since used the device in may other arenas with much satisfaction.
Lately I've had to perform open heart surgery on my poor baby after leaving her out in the rain(seal around the screen failed). After drying out she still works but clearly very long in the tooth with all the latest devices out there.
Still I can't see a clear replacement for the 276c. I really dont know what to do.
I'm a world traveler so need maps from RTW.
Been using using googlemaps an wifi lately but not that great ya know.

Where do I go from here?
I got Samsung tab1 which I could dedicate to GPS service. The current garmin offerings don;t offer a 276c equivalent.
The other alternative is to simply go back to paper maps.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 726
I"m in roughly the same boat with my 276c being on it's last legs. Although I am not in as much of a dire need for my GPS (it's hard to get "that" lost in georgia USA).

From my research the Monterra is currently leading the pack as far as it has the capabilities to do as much as the 276c and more, but it's current software is still lacking. I think the past few updates have made it much more stable and reliable, and I am crossing my fingers that they will continue to update the software and fix additional bugs. If/when my 276c dies, that will probably be it's replacement.

If you want something solid, smaller, but proven, maybe take a look at the 60 series GPS units. I know many folks with the 60/62 units and are very happy with them. They don't have all of the features of the monterra, but they are pretty reliable and work all the time without the bells and whistles.
SpeedyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
If you have the $$ you can still find a 276c, 376c, 378 or 478 in like new condition but they fetch a premium (garmin should take the hint, people are willing to pay $500+ for a 10 year old GPS imagine what they would pay for a modern one).
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,972
One would think, but it doesn't seem to be happening with Garmin...

I actually bought a spare 276c a few years back as mine is getting a bit rough around the edges (though still working).

Still don't see anything new I'd trade it for.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
The 478 is everything the 276 is and a whole lot more, pair it with the Russian 2gb memory cards and it's the greatest moto gps ever made and when in North America the sat radio and weather maps are too cool.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
The 478 is everything the 276 is and a whole lot more, pair it with the Russian 2gb memory cards and it's the greatest moto gps ever made and when in North America the sat radio and weather maps are too cool.
The 378's are the same as the 478's only with a different mapset. You can fit all of CNNA 2014.1 (the newest that will fit on the 2GB) on the internal memory on both units. The strong suit for the 378's is they can be had for 1/2 to 2/3's of what 478's sell for. Once you figure out how to put maps onto the internal memory and buy the Russian 2GB card either of these units are far superior to any of the current offerings IMHO.

Also look for a 278 although they are kinda rare in the USA.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
My poor 276c

I was under the impression the 378 utilized tracks and routes differently than the 478/276 do? I've only read a small amount and that's what I remember coming away with.

Edit: maybe that was the 376 I was thinking of.

Sent from the hand of Throttlemeister.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
I was under the impression the 378 utilized tracks and routes differently than the 478/276 do? I've only read a small amount and that's what I remember coming away with.

Edit: maybe that was the 376 I was thinking of.

Sent from the hand of Throttlemeister.
That is correct if you are using the mapset that comes on the unit. Once you change the internal mapset the recalculation problem goes away. The 378's factory maps are a mut of bluecharts and cnna mixed together which causes imported routes to be recalculated. The 478 uses two separate maps, one bluecharts and one CNNA.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
5 Hour Butt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
My 276C

I bought one back 10 years ago and it is truly awesome for me. I love how it works and it's always very accurate and also I use the speed it shows as my speedometer since the speedo on my R1200GS is not accurate. It also navigates wonderfully since I can build custom routes using Basecamp and load the one I want onto the 276c. As I ride and use it the road names are accurate and the view is totally accurate to reality as I ride.

As you ride using a custom route it shows time to the next route change and also the time you will arrive at the destination.

One other minor thing to know about the 276 is that occasionally it miscalculates the max speed attained since it sometimes does it during a curve and while it is searching for GPS satellite data. Adding that in since my 276C shows I hit 560.3mph as max speed which is pretty funny to see.

5 Hour Butt screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 11:07 AM
5 Hour Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
5 Hour Butt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Sad news about my Garmin 276C

Since I posted the response below earlier today and I just got home from taking a ride and sadly my 276C has a new problem. It won't connect properly to my computer which is preventing BaseCamp from seeing it and accessing the routes loaded into it and since I can't do anything I needed to buy a new GPS. I bought a new Garmin zumo 660LM from Garmin and it is specifically made by them for motorcycles and I am so happy to order it. Once I get it I can only imagine how well it will be to have. Nice thing is it comes with a handlebar mount and a power cable with a cigarette lighter sized plug. One nice thing for me is I have a BMW accessory plug to cigarette lighter adapter to make it easy to connect. Also, I have a BMW accessory plug I put on my 276C wire which I will take off and perhaps reuse with my new GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Hour Butt View Post
I bought one back 10 years ago and it is truly awesome for me. I love how it works and it's always very accurate and also I use the speed it shows as my speedometer since the speedo on my R1200GS is not accurate. It also navigates wonderfully since I can build custom routes using Basecamp and load the one I want onto the 276c. As I ride and use it the road names are accurate and the view is totally accurate to reality as I ride.

As you ride using a custom route it shows time to the next route change and also the time you will arrive at the destination.

One other minor thing to know about the 276 is that occasionally it miscalculates the max speed attained since it sometimes does it during a curve and while it is searching for GPS satellite data. Adding that in since my 276C shows I hit 560.3mph as max speed which is pretty funny to see.