User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
lvscrvs OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
No more Mapquest to Garmin... What to do next?

For years I've been creating routes in Mapquest and sending them to my Nuvi which gave me audio turn-by-turn directions (sent to helmet speakers via my Autocom) that made extended travel through unfamiliar places very, very easy and painless. Unfortunately, Mapquest has discontinued this feature so now I must find an alternative. Weighing different options and need some guidance....

Mapquest says it will now support Android and Iphone, so I guess I could get an older model of one of these phones (I still use a dumb phone for calls and text) to, hopefully, do the same type of routing. I would still want to get turn-by-turn into my Autocom however, so would need an audio out plug (no bluetooth on the Autocom).

I am doing more off-road ridng these days so I picked up a 60CSX to help there, but the screen is pretty small so I wouldn't mind finding an alternative with a bigger screen that is versatile enough to do both on and off-road.

I have no great love for Garmin's overpriced GPS units, and found Basecamp to be fairly user unfriendly, but I would consider going this route - no pun intended - if it is the best of both worlds (On and off-road) alternative.

I have not tried other online software like Harley Ride Planner. That might be an alternative. Don't know.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,008
If cost is your target and you want a larger display on a GPS that can handle both Routing and Tracks, you might consider the Garmin zumo 660lm. If you want something newer you will have to pay more.

As for online Trip Planning, I use Furkot.com. There really isn't anything else out there that can match it's features - if they are of interest to you. It can export GPX Tracks and Routes of your Trip Plan directly to any attached storage - like a USB attached Garmin device. There is a user thread here.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
For years I've been creating routes in Mapquest and sending them to my Nuvi which gave me audio turn-by-turn directions (sent to helmet speakers via my Autocom) that made extended travel through unfamiliar places very, very easy and painless. Unfortunately, Mapquest has discontinued this feature so now I must find an alternative. Weighing different options and need some guidance....

1 Mapquest says it will now support Android and Iphone, so I guess I could get an older model of one of these phones (I still use a dumb phone for calls and text) to, hopefully, do the same type of routing. I would still want to get turn-by-turn into my Autocom however, so would need an audio out plug (no bluetooth on the Autocom).

2 I am doing more off-road ridng these days so I picked up a 60CSX to help there, but the screen is pretty small so I wouldn't mind finding an alternative with a bigger screen that is versatile enough to do both on and off-road.

3 I have no great love for Garmin's overpriced GPS units, and found Basecamp to be fairly user unfriendly, but I would consider going this route - no pun intended - if it is the best of both worlds (On and off-road) alternative.

4 I have not tried other online software like Harley Ride Planner. That might be an alternative. Don't know.
1 the mapquest app is very basic, no offline maps, no importing/exporting/recording of routes or tracks, no waypoints, etc. it's going to require a cellular connection while it's being used.

2 offroading (and on road motorcycling, to an extent) means you want OFFLINE MAPS on the device. a lot of apps do this, with a myriad of options for the type of map, the provider, the layers, the overlays, etc. and they're free. the important part to remember is you're going to want to do all of this OFFLINE, to preserve the battery and have zero interruptions while you're riding. larger screens are common place with cellphones, and you do NOT need a cellular connection to use them just like you would a standalone gps. this device doesn't care if you're on or off road.

3 basecamp ... pick a side, there are lots of opinions.

4 for ride PLANNING, as in, sitting at your computer, there are a bunch. the fastest growing/developing option right now is FURKOT. gpsies works well, as do many others. if you choose a phone/tablet, it won't care what you import, as long as it's a gpx track or route. a million waypoints ? fine. a million track points ? ok. no big deal.

since you metioned off road riding, if you consider a phone, make sure it's a RUGGED / WATERPROOF phone. it's a whole lot more fun to not care about rain showers, and wash it off in mud puddles than to futz with cases/bags/etc.

the autocom thing you mentione,d i have no experience with, sorry.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
worwig
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
This doesn't directly answer any questions here, but it is easy and cheap to add a Bluetooth receiver to the Autocom.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
twizted1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
No affiliation, but I've used ITN Converter in the past with good success. It's based around Google Maps and creates a route for you then exports to whatever GPS file format you choose.
twizted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
lvscrvs OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Hey guys, Thanks so much for your replies.... lots to learn re: gps these days.....

twizted - I used to use the older Google maps a lot, and it had the handy drag feature that allowed you to customize your route. I see now that the old Maps has been discontinued and the new Google Maps won't let me do that. Weird. I've tried on 2 different computers with the same result. Too bad because the ITN Converter looks interesting. Google maps was better than Mapquest, but I still preferred the older version over the new one.

worwig - I found the the Bluetooth dongle you referred to. thanks for that info

ohgood - I remember reading a reference in another thread to the Kyocera phones as a good rugged phone option. If that is correct I will research those further. Of course i had City Navigator on my Nuvi and it worked pretty well except when you got out beyond forest service type roads, where it was useless. Will the references in this thread take me to the types of maps to use offline?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911230

Also, If you use something like Furkot on the computer, what do you use on a phone... would those be Locus Pro, OsmAnd, etc?

Dan - The 660LM looks interesting and reasonably priced. Seems pretty similar to a Montana, which I believe is more off-road oriented??? Can't thank you enough for the excellent video tutorials on Youtube. Watched the first few on Furkot and they were great. Thanks!

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:

ohgood - I remember reading a reference in another thread to the Kyocera phones as a good rugged phone option. If that is correct I will research those further. Of course i had City Navigator on my Nuvi and it worked pretty well except when you got out beyond forest service type roads, where it was useless. Will the references in this thread take me to the types of maps to use offline?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911230

Also, If you use something like Furkot on the computer, what do you use on a phone... would those be Locus Pro, OsmAnd, etc?

whichever rugged/waterproof phone/tablet you look at, make sure it has at least a dual-core processor, and you should be fine. those MVUM's you saw are really handy to have, but my state is doing a poor job of keeping things updated, or to care at all about allowing people to actually use OUR PUBLIC LANDS as far as motorcycling goes. your state may be awesome, and that would really make me happy to know :)

OHDRTRDR pointed out that the motorola moto g is on sale at bestbuy for $29 right now, and while it isn't rugged/waterproof, if you smashed or waterlogged a two handfuls of those, you'd still be money ahead of the current standalone prices. ;-)

yes, i use locus normally. because my trips are much shorter (20-350 miles) than most of the trips on advrider, i don't need a planning software suite like basecamp or furkot, and do it all on the phone. off road stuff means plotting a route, and then interpretting turns/obstacles as i go, and saving that TRACK for use later on. tracks rock, routes are .... less than optimal. i do use the online services like gpsies for storing those recorded TRACKs though, and occasionally for planning. it's just nice to have a 'cloud' type of service i can pull tracks from and share with friends when needed.

:)
Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
twizted1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
twizted - I used to use the older Google maps a lot, and it had the handy drag feature that allowed you to customize your route. I see now that the old Maps has been discontinued and the new Google Maps won't let me do that. Weird. I've tried on 2 different computers with the same result. Too bad because the ITN Converter looks interesting. Google maps was better than Mapquest, but I still preferred the older version over the new one.
ITN doesn't interface with Google Maps outside of using their map data (to my limited knowledge). With ITN you can put in as many via points as you want (some of my routes have 3-4 dozen) and it still works just fine...
twizted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
worwig
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizted1 View Post
ITN doesn't interface with Google Maps outside of using their map data (to my limited knowledge). With ITN you can put in as many via points as you want (some of my routes have 3-4 dozen) and it still works just fine...
As far as I can tell, ITN uses Google map data, and uses Google routing. You can also set it to use Here or OSM maps, and a few others. Plus you get a choice of routing engines. It does the job for me when I'm looking for something simple.