ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Mapping & Navigation > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Patj551 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Create downloadable route from Google Maps?

I feel like I've been beating my head against the wall all day! Here's the short version...

I created several custom maps using Google maps. I exported the maps to a kml file. TOPOFUSION got an error converting the file. My old MAPSOURCE software doesn't understand kml files. I downloaded a conversion program, converted from kml to gpx then opened the file in TOPOFUSION. I was surprised to see that my nicely drawn routes that followed county dirt roads were now just straight "point to point" lines. I believe this happened because the Google maps route doesn't create little way points along the route kind of like a tracking option on a GPS.

My question is:

Is there software that will "scan" the route on Google maps and convert it to a track which can then be loaded into my GPS?

Thanks in advance, for your help!
Pat
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,943
how did you "draw" the lines on google maps?.Do you want to greate a route( i define a route as one which a gps will actually navigate,ie turn right in 350 m etc etc.
If you want to follow a track ,a track is just a line drwn on your map,and you can see yourself on the map in relation to the line.
It may also help if you tellus what gps and maps you are using.GPS Visualizer may be worth a shot
Old 01-31-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 85
For what it's worth, I"ve had a lot better luck with this by using Mapquest instead of Google Maps. They download to my garmin directly from the web page.

You might be able to import a google maps kml file to mapquest, but I've never tried.

UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
iggs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Garmins Base Camp software might help. It supports kml files etc. hopefully it works with your gps

If not it could still be the solution. A friend has an log Garmin gps that isn't compatible with base camp but we used it in this workflow

Create route in google maps or Google Earth and export as kml

Import into base camp and edit for viewing in gps (icons, colour) and export as gpx

Import into map source and upload to gps

We were only doing this for off road routes and tracks though

You can download Garmin compatible free open source maps from openmtbmap.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
Patj551 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
how did you "draw" the lines on google maps?.Do you want to greate a route( i define a route as one which a gps will actually navigate,ie turn right in 350 m etc etc.
If you want to follow a track ,a track is just a line drwn on your map,and you can see yourself on the map in relation to the line.
It may also help if you tellus what gps and maps you are using.GPS Visualizer may be worth a shot
I created a custom map, then did a search for "Saratoga, WY" then added that to the map, then clicked on the "directions" icon then clicked not the "draw line icon" then select car route, then used the mouse and clicked on my starting point "A" (Saratoga) and then began "drawing" the line following the county road. The blue route line follows where I drag my mouse. occasionally I click on a spot to "anchor" the route. Periodically I double click and this creates a point "B" then I go through the whole procedure agains for the next segment. I just followed the googled instructions for creating custom maps.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Patj551 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggs View Post
Garmins Base Camp software might help. It supports kml files etc. hopefully it works with your gps

If not it could still be the solution. A friend has an log Garmin gps that isn't compatible with base camp but we used it in this workflow

Create route in google maps or Google Earth and export as kml

Import into base camp and edit for viewing in gps (icons, colour) and export as gpx

Import into map source and upload to gps

We were only doing this for off road routes and tracks though

You can download Garmin compatible free open source maps from openmtbmap.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hhhmm... That's an idea. I feel like I've wasted a lot of $$$ on GPS software looking for the right solution. I bought GAI GPS for my iPhone & TURBOFUSION for my GArmin 60CSX which also came with MAPSOURCE.

I wonder if the Google maps ROUTE lines DO NOT create a series of way points (longitude & latitude markers) which can be converted to tracks. I am guessing the route is lines are somehow anchored to the Google map?

Of course I could just be stoopid!!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
I would definitely try Basecamp. I sometimes create track files in Google Earth and import the kmz file into Basecamp. I usually combine the GE track with a larger one.

I then use Send To to send the track to my Montana.

I would try opening the route in Basecamp and then use the Convert to Track feature to create a track. This works on routes created in Basecamp.

Basecamp is going to look pretty naked without a mapset like City Navigator. But the conversion and transfer should still work.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,133
To the OP. What you appear not to know is that the LINES that are created with Google Maps have absolutely no relevance to a GPS. Only the waypoints (pins) you place are saved in the KMZ file. There are online services, like GMapToGPX, that can directly convert the Google Map 'route' to a GPX file (either a route or track).

Any non-Garmin app/converter (except GMapsToGPX) doesn't know how to formulate a Garmin Route from a few Waypoints so all they can do is create a GPX file with the Waypoints converted to Route Points. It's then up to the GPS to calculate the Route.

What Garmin GPS are you using?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Yroc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I use google earth (the application) to draw routes with the 'path tool' I have to click for each waypoint creating the route (takes a long time). I then save the route as a .kml file and then use gps babel to convert it to a .gpx. I put that file on my phone and open with with backcountry navigator and go.

I know all this routing and such gets pretty complicated and everyone is doing it differently. I still use the National Geographic 'TOPO' state series maps, which are now discontinued (boo), so sometimes I open the .gpx file I created in earth to compare it to roads that are on the map.

I wish there was a way to get all current travel plan maps in some type of software so that I could put my routes over those and see if my route follows open trails and such, I hit lots of closures and dead ends doing it this way, but it makes for a good adventure, which sometimes ends riding at night, but it's always a good time.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,447
Ditch google maps. Switch to OSRM.

http://map.project-osrm.org/

Downloadable as a gpx file.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Only if you are going to use OSM maps on your device. Or export as a GPX Track(s) - oh, wait, OSRM cannot export as a GPX Track - how silly is that.

Oh, and this is a BIG 'Oh', OSRM's GPX route Export will most likely have way to many route points for most GPS devices. Some will simply truncate the route at the devices limits and some of the newer Garmin devices will break up the route in to MANY routes. As example, just to go 30mi, OSRM's GPX Route had to be broken into 18 routes on a NAV5 or zumo 590.

I raised this issue to OSRM over a year ago.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

IF, the OP wanted to use a 'real' Trip Planner, they could take a look at FURKOT.com. FURKOT will export in many formats, including GPX (Routes and/or Tracks). If you want Route's you can even have FURKOT add in additional route points along your route path during Export - and you choose how many.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
Patj551 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
To the OP. What you appear not to know is that the LINES that are created with Google Maps have absolutely no relevance to a GPS. Only the waypoints (pins) you place are saved in the KMZ file. There are online services, like GMapToGPX, that can directly convert the Google Map 'route' to a GPX file (either a route or track).

Any non-Garmin app/converter (except GMapsToGPX) doesn't know how to formulate a Garmin Route from a few Waypoints so all they can do is create a GPX file with the Waypoints converted to Route Points. It's then up to the GPS to calculate the Route.

What Garmin GPS are you using?
EXACTLY what I was guessing! THANK YOU! The GMAPTOGPS tool is exactly what I am looking for! Thank you!

I am using an oldie but goodie Garmin 60CSx. Would love a new one with bigger screen but just can't afford it right now. There's an Alco store going out of business a few miles away. They have a couple Magellan models 5045-MU and 2135T-LM for $49.99. Not sure if they'd be worthwhile on a bike...

Thanks again!
Pat
Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #14
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Only if you are going to use OSM maps on your device. Or export as a GPX Track(s) - oh, wait, OSRM cannot export as a GPX Track - how silly is that.
Uh.

Yes you can.

Chisenhallw screwed with this post 02-01-2015 at 06:58 PM
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #15
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Well, maybe I missed something. Let's see, you click on the GPX File link and an OSRM_route.gpx file is created. When I look at the data in the file all that I see is a GPX Route definition. Where are you seeing TRACK data?