Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,446
Alternatives to Spot Messenger

Just had a brew-ha-ha with Spot and I'm looking for something to replace it with at a similar price point.
Blue Skies Coming

Jud screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 10:59 PM
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
ironbasher1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
spot replacement

I like my delorme inreach
ironbasher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Have you also had a Spot?
Blue Skies Coming
Old 09-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
I am very technically unsavvy-I have a hard time with Garmin gps units.But I like my Delorme Inreach.I used it for a full Baja run last winter and my daily location link on my Facebook page was always there .Done with very few button pressings.+ the ability to get text messages from the outside world if needed.The inreach uses a different satillite system than the spot-supposed to be no gaps in coverage anywhere.I cant honestly tell you what happens if I press the e-button though-I havent needed it yet.Hopefully the buzzards are not picking my bones by the time help gets to me.Only other thing I can think of would be an epirb or a full on sat phone.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:17 AM   #5
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds good. It pains me to get rid of the Spot service/device as I've had it for a long time but what they did pissed me off, what they did after being notified pisses me off even more.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 09-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
What's the alternatives? I just got my renewal notice, seems to be about double what I thought it was.

I agree, I've been with the spot tracker since 2011, and really like being able to send an OK message every couple of hours even if out of cell phone coverage, but $185 a year is pretty pricey.

Alternatives?
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG DONGER View Post
What's the alternatives? I just got my renewal notice, seems to be about double what I thought it was.

I agree, I've been with the spot tracker since 2011, and really like being able to send an OK message every couple of hours even if out of cell phone coverage, but $185 a year is pretty pricey.

Alternatives?
I don't mind the price so much. I'm pretty sure I cancelled the service last year {2013}. In any event, I didn't use it at all last year and I didn't get billed for it last year. This year, they made up for it by automatically charging my credit card for two years worth of service. As I said, I'm pretty sure I called them and notifed them I didn't want the service that year {2013} and they didn't charge me,,,,,,,, till now!

I called them and asked them to remove the charge and they refused even though they agreed I had not used the service. They did offer to remove this year's service but would not remove the 2013 service charge. Well, I coulda used it this year as I have a trip to Mexico planned but their customer service {lack of} pissed me off and now I refuse to use their service.

I have had this unit, an original unit since they came out. I like the service other than this one thing and I would most likely keep the service for years to come but their lack of customer service ruined a relationship with a long term customer.

Seriously, what's to stop them from not charging you for say, five years? You forget all about it and boom, 5 yrs worth of Spot service gets billed to you and you can't do anything about it.

I will say, if you cancel the service,,,, get that shit in writing or do it by e-mail so you have a record.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

The credit card they have on file for my account is no longer valid. It was an AMEX issued by the company I retired from, so it's not going to work. If I decide to keep the service, I will update to a new card, but your story makes me think twice about doing that.....I've sent them an email asking them to explain why my cost is higher than the web pricing.

Priced the DeLorme inReach, but their yearly sub is even higher than Spot. It sounds like it has more functionality, but pricey too.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
File a report with your credit card company. It would be best if you had evidence of your cancellation, but it's understood that you may not have that if you cancelled over the phone. However, the fact that the company charged you so far in arrears (for a service that charges you in advance) and that you never used the service in 2013 will make it difficult for Visa or M/C to not reverse the charge in your favour.

Don't wait too long - you have 90 days from the charge to file a dispute.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #10
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
File a report with your credit card company. It would be best if you had evidence of your cancellation, but it's understood that you may not have that if you cancelled over the phone. However, the fact that the company charged you so far in arrears (for a service that charges you in advance) and that you never used the service in 2013 will make it difficult for Visa or M/C to not reverse the charge in your favour.

Don't wait too long - you have 90 days from the charge to file a dispute.
Already have, shit outta luck as I have no "proof" I ended the subscription,,, even though they "forgot" to charge me and nailed me a year later.

Here's a big kicker, the credit card company will refuse any charge from Spot for,,,,,,,,, for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you guessed it, a year.

But, if they do it again, I have "proof" this time due to the credit card report.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 09-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #11
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I have a yellowbrick https://www.ybtracking.com/?page_id=1523

Not cheap but better global coverage than Spot, especially in South America - uses the Iridium network. Can send and receive short messages either direct to unit or via mobile apps (Android and iPhone). Your tracks are stored as long as you want.

It's worked well for me thus far - I have had it now for nearly two years.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:54 AM   #12
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 8,148
Here is a good review of some options.

https://www.wildsnow.com/8245/spot-i...eview-delorme/

If you just want to access rescue then a locator beacon is a free service and more powerfull device.

I think if you want tracking you are kind of stuck with spot or delorme.

If you want two way messaging delorme.

If you want two way communication then sat phone.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Looks like Spot is still the cheaper option, and meets the basic needs. Still wondering why my invoice is higher than the web pricing, but have sent an emails asking for clarification.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
Blue Mule
Persistent Slacker

Oddometer: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk View Post
I have a yellowbrick https://www.ybtracking.com/?page_id=1523

Not cheap but better global coverage than Spot, especially in South America - uses the Iridium network. Can send and receive short messages either direct to unit or via mobile apps (Android and iPhone). Your tracks are stored as long as you want.

It's worked well for me thus far - I have had it now for nearly two years.
this caught my eye.

What is the real cost to you using this for a week or two trip? What does that include as far as messages(texts?) on your part?

I like the idea of pay as you go.

"The universe is wider than our views of it." - Henry David Thoreau
Blue Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Mule View Post
this caught my eye.

What is the real cost to you using this for a week or two trip? What does that include as far as messages(texts?) on your part?

I like the idea of pay as you go.
One buys credits on a sliding scale - the more you buy in one go, the cheaper per credit. I usually buy a thousand credits at a time for 80 plus VAT at 20%. Credits are non-expiring so if you don't use them they stay in your account.

There is an additional charge of 8 per month for line rental which is expiring but you can buy this in odd periods when you need to use the unit, so for a two week trip, you would buy one month's line rental covering the period you are away.

The rate at which you use credits is up to you. One credit is used for each position transmission which can be set at rates from once every five minutes to once per twelve hours. Messages costs depend on their length. Mine are usually very short and cost 1 to 4 credits for something like a Twitter post. I am not sure of the per-character charge but it is an expensive way to say anything lengthy.

I normally set my unit to report my position at 15 minute intervals, turning the thing on when I start riding in the morning and off when I stop later in the day, so in that way I consume around 4x 8 = 32 credits on position reports per day. If I have telephone reception or wifi, I don't use the message facility normally.

It starts to get expensive if you forget to turn the unit off after stopping for the day. Even if the unit is in a place it can't transmit from, it will try and as soon as it has contact again, sends out umpteen reports for the time it couldn't communicate. I once used up nearly all my credits when I got home from a trip and left the thing switched on in my desk drawer…