ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #76
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synt
I got myself a 62s for a trip heading down to South america lasting half a year or so and Iīm not sure if I shall keep it or send it back...
The device itself is quite nice and the free maps of OSM work fine, but Iīm concerned if the connector mechanically will survive this trip...
(My 62s will be placed in my map compartment of the tank bag and will be connected - when onroad - with a Mini USB. Though when going off-road (or when hiking or sightseeing) Iīll detach it and run it on batteries. This at least the theory... )

I just wonder - is there some hands-on experience with the mechanical stability of the USB connector of the 62s? (Actually I didnīt find any real hands-on reviews. Mainly some concerns are listed but I didnīt see anybody actually having some mechanical issue with the USB...)
Please note - i donīt speak about electrical issues!
Why compromise go with the 78?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #77
Synt
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Why compromise go with the 78?
Well... My thought is that not having it directly connected to the motorbike is not a too big issue.
But I like the good reception of the 62s. For me a robust and reliable device when hiking is more important than when being on the road having it connected to power...
At least this is my current idea...

How is the robustness of the 78 versus 62? Is it essentially the same? Somehow for me the 62 appears better usable for really rough conditions.
Any comments on this?
Synt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #78
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,019
If I had to do the GPS purchase all over again, I'd have gone with the 76. Now with the 62/78's out, the choice between the two for me is clear - go with the 78. RAM-mount that wraps around the entire unit, holding it securely... robust external power/serial connector... The difference in antennas isn't going to be noticeable with the receiver mounted on the bars.

The QFH on the 60/62's works best when it's pointed straight up, like it would be clipped to a belt or shoulder strap on a pack. The patch antenna works best parallel to the ground... like when you're holding it in your hand and looking at it, or mounted to the bars of a motorcycle/snowmobile.

YMMV.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #79
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,764
Quote:
Well... My thought is that not having it directly connected to the motorbike is not a too big issue.
But I like the good reception of the 62s. For me a robust and reliable device when hiking is more important than when being on the road having it connected to power...
At least this is my current idea...

How is the robustness of the 78 versus 62? Is it essentially the same? Somehow for me the 62 appears better usable for really rough conditions.
Any comments on this?
If anything I'd say the 78 would be a little more robust due to the exposed antenna on the 62 . Of course the downside to the 78's is they use the inferior patch antenna which could mean degraded accuracy in wooded and hilly area's. For hiking I think it's a no brainer that the 62 is a better choice because your life can really depend on the accuracy. After all, the 78 is a marine unit while the 62 is a hiking unit. On a bike maybe not so critical, really depends on the area's you're riding.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #80
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule
If I had to do the GPS purchase all over again, I'd have gone with the 76. Now with the 62/78's out, the choice between the two for me is clear - go with the 78. RAM-mount that wraps around the entire unit, holding it securely... robust external power/serial connector... The difference in antennas isn't going to be noticeable with the receiver mounted on the bars.

The QFH on the 60/62's works best when it's pointed straight up, like it would be clipped to a belt or shoulder strap on a pack. The patch antenna works best parallel to the ground... like when you're holding it in your hand and looking at it, or mounted to the bars of a motorcycle/snowmobile.

YMMV.
I don't mount any of my GPS's horizontal on bikes. No way I could see the things mounted flat.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #81
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
I don't mount any of my GPS's horizontal on bikes. No way I could see the things mounted flat.
Same for vertical!

In reality hand held or mounted on the bike, best viewing is usually closer to 45 deg, + or - 10. Lots of pictures on ADVRider to support this.

Given this scenario I believe the real world performance difference between the 62 and 78 would be negligible.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #82
Synt
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I think I will still stick to the 62s - my use case includes also tracking in some very dense canopy in e.g. Amazonas basin or when hidden in my backpack somewhere (for backtracking reason)

But I just wonder: The plug that covers the usb connector totally seals that entrance. But is there no USB connector from Garmin available that tightly seals the entrance as the sealing plug does? (This also reduces the mechanical stress to the USB socket as the connector alone canīt move / vibrate freely)
Has somebody seen such a fitting USB plug? (I didnīt yet)
Or is the only solution to make a custom-made cast of the sealing plug and somehow glue an USB connector into it?
Synt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 AM   #83
John92
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
But is there no USB connector from Garmin available that tightly seals the entrance as the sealing plug does?
You would think there would be such a thing, wouldn't you? A rugged charger for the rugged line of GPSs. Maybe where they're trail models they figure the charging will be at home or in the car. There isn't really a dirt bike oriented GPS so we are just left to compromise. From what I've read, these mapping trail models are more dirt friendly than the ZUMOs that are made for motos.
John92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 AM   #84
sysie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I am using my 62 on my Tenere and it switch of by itself occasionally.. It is really frustrating.. I like the unit but it needs to stay on!

I have used Energizer Rechargables and also tried Energizer Litium batteries with no luck... I dont really want to go the hardwire route... Maybe a proper mount from RAM or Touratech will help with the vibrations. Anyone have other ideas I can try ?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #85
Migs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Don't bother with cables in this case. Use batteries. This is a great consumer product, not a military GPS.
Migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #86
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
It really baffles me why this cable isn't available from Garmin separately. I've only seen it with the "universal mount" kit for the Nuvi 500/550 Zumo 220.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27931

It does have a small rubber boot around the metal part of the mini-USB plug, I doubt it does much though. Still - better than nothing.

Don't know if it would work with the 62 anyway due to the right angle plug.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #87
Migs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I think some folks are missing the point. What follows is my opinion, so if it doesn't work for you don't swallow it:

When Garmin makes a device with a mini USB plug, that device is not meant to be mounted. Yes, you may be able to with aftermarket gear, but the mass of users will hand hold it. (That's why mini USB devices have holes for hand loops on the bottom) Mini USB plugs may even vibrate loose on the ride and disconnect right?
When Garmin makes a moto device, you will notice it has a completely different mounting and power system. Look at the motorcycle Zumos.

I repeat my advice to use batteries rather than a cable in situations where you want to use a hand held mini USB powered device on a bike. It works reliably but you have to swap the batteries every day or so.
Migs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #88
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysie
I am using my 62 on my Tenere and it switch of by itself occasionally.. It is really frustrating.. I like the unit but it needs to stay on!

I have used Energizer Rechargables and also tried Energizer Litium batteries with no luck... I dont really want to go the hardwire route... Maybe a proper mount from RAM or Touratech will help with the vibrations. Anyone have other ideas I can try ?
That's a problem with all Garmins handhelds, the connectors are shoddy, just put a little piece of plastic or something behind the connector tabs and that will stop your shut off problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #89
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
Same for vertical!

In reality hand held or mounted on the bike, best viewing is usually closer to 45 deg, + or - 10. Lots of pictures on ADVRider to support this.

Given this scenario I believe the real world performance difference between the 62 and 78 would be negligible.

Bruce
You're probably right, like I said before, if I was a hiker, I would get the 62, on a bike, I'd consider the 78. As it stands right now, I wouldn't get either since Garmin hasn't figured out many of us want to have the ability to turn of auto recalc for routes. So I'll stick with my 76cx.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #90
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs
I think some folks are missing the point. What follows is my opinion, so if it doesn't work for you don't swallow it:

When Garmin makes a device with a mini USB plug, that device is not meant to be mounted. Yes, you may be able to with aftermarket gear, but the mass of users will hand hold it. (That's why mini USB devices have holes for hand loops on the bottom) Mini USB plugs may even vibrate loose on the ride and disconnect right?
When Garmin makes a moto device, you will notice it has a completely different mounting and power system. Look at the motorcycle Zumos.

I repeat my advice to use batteries rather than a cable in situations where you want to use a hand held mini USB powered device on a bike. It works reliably but you have to swap the batteries every day or so.
Except the Zumo 220 is a motorcycle device and it uses mini USB power

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote