ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #106
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
With my oversight I'm now a little concerned about safe voltages. I would do some research, maybe call Garmin before connecting.

In the old unit the big round 4 pin was good for a wide voltage range but things could have changed. Bruce
I would bet you Lunch (in Carson) there is an SAE spec that is used. Actually I will buy you lunch any time you are down this way.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #107
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Custom maps

To answer my own question, yes this feature works fine. Actually it bloody terrific!
My errors where: 1/rotating the map and 2/ file over 3mb
corrected that and all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler
ls the 62 supposed to be able to read KMZ background maps like the Oregon and Dakota? I am wondering as the unit has a "custom maps" folder. However, when I drop a file in, the unit doesnt seem to recognise it.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #108
Rougie
n00b

Oddometer: 5
lost Csx Just bought my 2nd one on e-bay - factory refurbished with warrantee!

lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute
Just lost my 60csx and looking for a new replacement ( if anybody finds one somewhere in western PA - call me )

But after seeing the new 62 just has that USB for power had me looking elsewhere - looks like the new 78 keeps its 4 pin power socket - and has the same size screen - anybody use it on the bike - or do I have to wear a captains hat and white flared paints. The one other good thing is if my bike sinks to the bottom of a river the 78 does float - so all will not be lost

but I am missing something ???
Rougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #109
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,874
New Software Out For 62/78

Here's the description. Mainly a couple of bug fixes:

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
Fixed shutdown related to the current track that occurred after updating the software
Fixed a hang that occurred when a unit had 1000 auto-named waypoints
Fixed issue with marine map points sometimes drawing with the incorrect symbol

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4995
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #110
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Got my hands on first 78 (assume 62 works the same) this weekend and have some quesitons:

1) We could not find menu to set response to loss of external power?

2) When I downloaded 10 tracks with all colors set and on/off status of each set, it changed the settings to some default preference. Another case of Garmin is much smarter than the user?

3) Could not find the "setup" for on/off recording Active Log on data card.

Number 2 is a show stopper for me and I hope my customers. Most of them are not capable of fixing all the tracks after I download them to their 78 after it screws them up.
Can't any of you guys that have been using 62/78 tell me if I was missing the answer to these problems?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #111
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Can't any of you guys that have been using 62/78 tell me if I was missing the answer to these problems?
I haven't been using my 62 since the Oregon came back, but I booted it up tonight to see if I can find your answers.

Got my hands on first 78 (assume 62 works the same) this weekend and have some quesitons:

1) We could not find menu to set response to loss of external power?

Can't find this anywhere as an actual choice/option. And yes, I did look in all the usual, and unusual places.

2) When I downloaded 10 tracks with all colors set and on/off status of each set, it changed the settings to some default preference. Another case of Garmin is much smarter than the user?

Not sure what you mean by this. By "downloaded" you mean you loaded from the computer to the 62/78? Where had you set the options?

3) Could not find the "setup" for on/off recording Active Log on data card.

Neither could I find the option, but the Oregon/62/78 is much more flexible in terms of auto-archiving tracks, either daily, weekly or automatically when the track is full and the gpx files are not huge anyway, so I'm not sure just how much of a problem it is to not be able to save to the card.

The units themselves have 1.7 gigabytes onboard, so if you load your maps to the MicroSD card, then there's tons of space for tracks on the gps.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #112
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Not sure what you mean by this. By "downloaded" you mean you loaded from the computer to the 62/78? Where had you set the options?

Neither could I find the option, but the Oregon/62/78 is much more flexible in terms of auto-archiving tracks, either daily, weekly or automatically when the track Mike [/I]
Mike, thanks for your time.

No UPS (uninteruptable Power Source) could be a problem for me. A broken wire at my battery and I loose tracks is not acceptable. They need to fix that. Don't understand how Garmin can not make all units include at least fearures of the units they are replacing. It is like the designers of new units never even look at old ones.

Tracks have Color and "On/Off Show on Map" attributes as part of the data. It doesn't matter how or where they got set they are just there. On the 78 it would change Color and set all tracks to "Off" when it receives them in a download from PC. That is really beyond dumb. There is absolutle no reason to do this but it may be coupled to a similar dumb decision to delete the ability to set On/Off in Mapsource.

Could you explain the "Track Archiving" in new units. On 60/76 you could turn it on/off and they come from factory "Off". They will open a .gpx file every new day when powered on and start archiving all that day. The name of file was just the date so it is very easy to retrieve your tracks form a known day. Sounds like now you can set the time period of the file?

Jerry
Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #113
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Mike, thanks for your time.

No UPS (uninteruptable Power Source) could be a problem for me. A broken wire at my battery and I loose tracks is not acceptable. Jerry
I only ever used my 62 on batteries so I'm not sure what it does on failure of the wired power source.

I'll do some tests to see what I can figure out with the track colours as downloaded from Mapsource. Have you used Basecamp to see if there is a different result?

Quote:
tracks have Color and "On/Off Show on Map" attributes as part of the data. It doesn't matter how or where they got set they are just there. On the 78 it would change Color and set all tracks to "Off" when it receives them in a download from PC. That is really beyond dumb. There is absolutle no reason to do this but it may be coupled to a similar dumb decision to delete the ability to set On/Off in Mapsource.

Could you explain the "Track Archiving" in new units. On 60/76 you could turn it on/off and they come from factory "Off". They will open a .gpx file every new day when powered on and start archiving all that day. The name of file was just the date so it is very easy to retrieve your tracks form a known day. Sounds like now you can set the time period of the file?Jerry
This is similar to what the Oregon/62/78 will do, but any time you boot up the unit it goes through a sequence of saves of all data, and that goes into a 'current' folder, and previous days go to the 'archive' folder.

Even if you don't shut the unit off, it will still save in the interval you selected, be it daily or weekly. But I didn't see an option to set the time period.

If I find time tomorrow, I'll try to get more info from the 62 for you.

Mike
Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #114
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Even if you don't shut the unit off, it will still save in the interval you selected, be it daily or weekly. But I didn't see an option to set the time period. Mike
By time period I meant daily or weekly.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #115
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
By time period I meant daily or weekly.
I checked tonight, downloading some tracks which were created on a Garmin 60CSx from Mapsource and the tracks lost their distinctive colours but they were showing on the map as they had been set to. 'Show on map' was still selected for the files. It's easy to change the colours of the tracks in the unit, but I know you'd rather not have to.

And the tracks feature allows you to make a track a 'favorite' in the 62/78.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #116
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I checked tonight, downloading some tracks which were created on a Garmin 60CSx from Mapsource and the tracks lost their distinctive colours but they were showing on the map as they had been set to. 'Show on map' was still selected for the files. It's easy to change the colours of the tracks in the unit, but I know you'd rather not have to.

And the tracks feature allows you to make a track a 'favorite' in the 62/78.
I download up to 20 tracks usually using Dark Green, Dark Magenta, and Red to up to 150 customers with very limited GPS skill. They would not find it easy to set all the colors back to the proper color. This is am major flaw in the 78 that should be reported to Garmin.

I will try to check again about the on/off changes. I am quite sure that tracks I had set "On" ended op "Off" after downloading. Any chance there is some menu choice on what it does?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #117
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
I will try to check again about the on/off changes. I am quite sure that tracks I had set "On" ended op "Off" after downloading. Any chance there is some menu choice on what it does?
You're right, they don't show on the map. I misinterpreted the setting in the track manager. It's a toggle, and the button in TM says "Show on Map" and I took that to mean it was set to that, but you need to push that button, which then changes to "Hide on Map".

In other words, the button allows you to choose the option; it does not tell you what the status is of that track.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #118
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

OK so you saw it both change color and hide?

That is really dumb since no other hand held messes with setings when you download. Since you have one please register complaint of Garmin web site for that unit.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:10 AM   #119
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
OK so you saw it both change color and hide?

That is really dumb since no other hand held messes with setings when you download. Since you have one please register complaint of Garmin web site for that unit.
My Oregon seems to do the same thing when I download tracks to it - they are not displayed on the map, and they seem to have the same colour though they had different colours assigned in Mapsource, so it's not not just the 62/78. Maybe it's a Mapsource thing?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #120
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My Oregon seems to do the same thing when I download tracks to it - they are not displayed on the map, and they seem to have the same colour though they had different colours assigned in Mapsource, so it's not not just the 62/78. Maybe it's a Mapsource thing?
Nothing to do with Mapsource it is the firmware in the unit. Easy to fix if only Garmin knew the screwed it up.

All 60/76s work fine.