User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 3,047
Adventurizing a Suzuki DRZ400S

What the hell, I reallize that this thread probably wont be as exciting as some of the other threads in here, but I figured I'd go ahead because of the part that I'm working on at the moment. Truth be told I bought this bike April, 2014 and have been slowly doing a few things to it here and there. However over the course of Thanksgiving, while hanging with friends, we tentatively made plans to possibly do a little trip together in March. For me, the DRZ would be the bike that I use for this little trip. One of my buddies also has a DRZ, and together we both wanted to perform several upgrades to our bikes. While this little upcoming trip was the impetus for starting the work, in the bigger scheme of things, I potentially see myself using this bike to complete part of my RTW adventure travels, therefor it's worth my time to properly sort this bike; that and I just enjoy wrench on bikes in the garage too!

Here is what the bike looked like to begin with:

That's a relatively close to stock 2009 DRZ400S. It's got but a mere couple thousand miles on it, and the only work that's been done to it is: 1) Seat Concepts seat, 2) ProMoto Billet aluminum rear rack, and 3) a Pelican type case rigged onto the rear rack. I got it for a good deal from a guy I know and trust, so I know that the bike is solid! While there's not much on the bike, the few things he did do are top notch. Having owned a DRZ before, I know exactly which direction I want to take with this bike; just for the sake of curiosity and to try new things, I go a slightly different route with the gas tank and radiator guards than I did on my first DRZ. After all, trying it out is the only way I'll know for sure which parts are better. So my first order of bits include the following: 1) IMS gas tank (I had a Clarke on my last DRZ and loved it, but I wanted to try out the IMS to see which I prefered), 2) TT case savers, 3) Cyra Probend hand guards (been wanting to try these out for a while because they look so bomber), 4) Devol radiator guards (I had the Unabiker on the last DRZ, but similar to the gas tank, I wanted to try these to see the difference), and 5) a true skid plate. I mount all these parts within 2 weeks of having bought the bike. The only issue I had was fitting the Cyra handguards; in order to get them to clear the front brake master cylinder and the dash, I had to add some bar risers (Rox 2") and I also swapped out the handle bars for the Renthal Hi-Bend. Yeah it's more $$$ to spend, but these are all top quality components and since I plan on using this bike thoroughly, I might as well prep it solidly. Once all the parts are in, the work is pretty easy to complete.

I don't have any good picture of the bike at this point in the game, but I'll take one soon and post it up.

So fast forward through the summer when I was playing around Europe on the XC Adventure, and up to Thanksgiving when I was talking with my buddies, and here are the couple of upgrades that we wanted to do: 1) kick starter kit, 2) heated grips, and 3) auxiliary lights. Parts were ordered, and during the Christmas holidays here we got together to perform the work. First order of business was the kick starter kit. Now you may as why!? Well, my response is.....why not!? We've got a funny little inside joke about kick starters on DRZs (ask me about it when you see me in person, it's a funny story in retrospect), but in truth it's just cheap insurance, and it looks BAD ASS! The work was pretty easy and straight forward, especially with the help of THIS FANTASTIC HOW TO write up. The instructions that come with the kit are mediocre at best. The only "hard" part we encountered was with the "kick starter stopper"; this is a small tab that acts as a stop on the return of the kick starter lever, it positions the lever at it's resting position. We both found that we didn't perfectly like the position of the lever and wanted to adjust it a touch. As it turns out we had to about about 1/20000 of an inch; we did this with some bronze brazing I think it was. Good thing we've got access to a variety of tools and just enough know-how to get ourselves in trouble! Other than that, the only issue we ran into was in removing the screws that held on a small retaining bracket. On both bikes we stripped out one of the phillips head screws; in putting it back together again, we used machine screws with recessed hex heads!

With the kick starter kits done, we then moved on to installing the heated grips. Once again, pretty easy install work. However we didn't fully complete the install (i.e. we didn't wire them up) because in the process we started talking about how cool it would be to have a nice dash to mount switches such as the one for the heated grips; also how nice it would be to maybe mount the GPS on the dash. The impetus for this idea came from a pretty sweet DRZ BUILD that my buddy had come across. Here are two pictures from this guy's build, showing his sweet fairing & dash:

[IMG][/IMG]

And so was born the idea to fabricate our own rally style fairing with a good size dash.......

....to be continued.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Dread_lion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Subscribed :p. that dash is a thing of beaty! Bit too much for my taste, but i love the way it looks!
Dread_lion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread_lion View Post
Subscribed :p. that dash is a thing of beaty! Bit too much for my taste, but i love the way it looks!
I agree; while I think those Trail Tech Vapor dashes are cool, there's no need to replace the stock unit so don't expect to see anything like that in the unit me and my buddies come up with. Primarily for us it's to support a GPS front and center, LED volt meter, and switches for things like the heated grips, etc...

Just a few pictures before going to bed for the night....

So we'd installed the heaters for the heated grips, but for the time being we'd simply zip-tied the wires to the mirrors, this way we could now concentrate on our fairing & dash build. After all, this would have an effect on the wiring for the bike. First order of business, fab a cardboard mock up.

Some of the key factors in our decision making was to keep the stock headlight assembly and stock dash unit (even though we'll be talking more about the headlight later on....). After reaching a satisfactory position with the carboard mock up, we broke for the day. It would be my duty to fabricate a wood mold of our fairing design as we'd made the decision to make the fairing out of fiberglass. None on us have worked with fiberglass before, but we decided that this would be our best best. So I took the cardboard mock up home, and drew it out 3D in CAD; from this I then went into my wood shop and started to cut pieces and put it together....

Next up was to take measurement and cut out the headlight opening. Once this was done, liberal amounts of bondo were applied to all joints and gaps, light sanding, and then rounding over all corners and inner edges of the headlight opening. With this done, I put it up to my bike to take a look...

(because the mold has thickiness, I could not get it to recess where it will sit when done in fiberglass, but you get the idea)

Next up, FIBERGLASS!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Alright....next step in the process, start laying fiberglass! Neither my buddy nor I had any real experience with this, but we decided to have a go at it. Bought some resin, bought some fiberglass matting, bought some cheap brushes, got some good 3M respirators, rubber gloves, etc.... We knew that we'd need some coat the mold with some kind of release agent in order to prevent "glueing" the whole thing to the mold, and as a first attempt, we went with parafin wax. So we got all our parts and pieces together and pre-cut some pieces of matting...

Then we mixed up some resin and started to dab it on to wet the fiberglass matting. We ended up putting two layers of matting, with some extra bits on the return inside the headlight opening because after cutting the matting, there was no overlap to tie it together. We did not have a roller tool to smooth out the surface or "squeegee" out excess resin but what the hey! With two layers applied, there was nothing left to do put clean up and let it sit and cure.

Next up, pop the fairing out of the mold or at least try to.....
Old 01-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
Dread_lion
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm really liking this wooden mold idea! Seems like something i could also try! So how much material cost are we talking here, so far?
Ps: wow you are'nt wasting any time are you?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
I'm really liking this wooden mold idea! Seems like something i could also try! So how much material cost are we talking here, so far?
Ps: wow you are'nt wasting any time are you?
The wood mold idea seemed like the easiest way to go, especially given my woodworking knowledge. Material cost so far include: 1 gallon of resin about $40, fiberglass matting = $6.50 per pack (1 pack is enough to do two layers on this size piece), then add in all the other items that you may or may not have like rubber gloves, respirator, disposable brushes, wood for the mold, etc...

Well in all fairness we started this (the fairing project) about two weeks ago, just catching up now. It's amazing what you can do during vacation time! The plan is to finish up this project by the end of February though.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Dread_lion
Gnarly Adventurer

seems cheap to me ;) considering what they usually ask for dakar style fairings... Keep at it!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
seems cheap to me ;) considering what they usually ask for dakar style fairings... Keep at it!
In materials, yes, but there's a lot of man hours in this project thus far and we've only partially completed our first fairing. When you see the price for those rally style fairings out there on the market, I'm certain that a good bit of the price is to cover all the R&D man hours that were put into developing the product. For me and my buddy it's worth our time because we also enjoying working in the shop.

Thanks for the encouragement, another update coming up shortly....
Old 01-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

So we last left off with having glassed the mold for the first time. We let it sit overnight, about 18 hours or so, and came back at it the next morning to try and pop it out of the mold. We had thoroughly coated the mold with parafin wax so we had no doubt that the fairing would not be stuck to the mold. Our one concern was in the shape of the fairing itself and the fact that we had some of what we called "positive lock" in the shape; in other words the fiberglassed was shaped back into itself a little at points. In some parts we figured we could flex it, and in others we'd have to pull the fairing off of the mold in a specific direction. After some careful trimming of excess fiberglass from the outer edges of the mold and the headlight opening return, some careful prying and wedging, the fairing popped free of the mold!

Of course we couldn't wait to slap it up on the bike!

[IMG][/IMG]

As we discovered, the opening for the headlight was a smidge too small in width and we had to trim off the entirety of the return in order to get the face of the fairing to sit flush with the headlight. Other things we looked at to modify was how the top end of the sides and face meet; this was one of the areas where we had that "positive lock" issue. So it was clear to us that we needed to modify the mold a little. On the flip side, we couldn't be happier with how nice our first attempt had come out!

We played around a bit with it and put in a cardboard dash and held up the GPS and voltmeter to see how it would look...

Looking at this we've decided to make our dash have a small tab come down to the left of the OEM dash and this is where we'll located the voltmeter. This will leave plenty of room for various switches and other things. We also started talking about how to mount the fairing and dash. Originally, we'd said that we'd mount the fairing to the bike and the dash to the fairing, but upon second thought, we decided to create a mounting hoop to mount the dash, off of this hoop we could then mount the fairing along with a 3rd mounting mount at the bottom where the OEM fairing mounts. This will allow us to remove the fairing while keeping the dash in place; this will come in handy when wanting to work on the electronics and wiring of those items mounted in the dash.

So next up: 1) modify the wood mold, and 2) start mocking up mounting brackets.
Stay tuned!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 660
Not pissing in the campfire but...

XC, I used a fork mounted fiberglass/gelcoat fairing on a DRZ a few years ago. It worked, but caused the bike to steer heavily and had a slight headshake above 55mph. FWIW

if I were doing it again, I'd find a way to do a frame mount fairing.
Highwaydirtbikes.com is doing some interesting things with their Rallye Lite. Several options; pricey but the R&D is done.
NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 479
Nice work.

I wish the DRZ was a 6 speed, would make it a great (relatively) lightweight ADV bike overnight with that one single change.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
JaxObsessed
Rhonda

Oddometer: 14,183
Thank you all. I am very proud of my ADV family.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #13
cheeseyboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Looks great! Wish I had the patience to do something like this. I went the cheap way out, and did the trashcan fairing on my DRZ. Like the looks of yours much more.
cheeseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #14
Ed_in_miami
Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer: 1,283
Very nice.
I love fiberglass...!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #15
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 991
There are alternatives....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider-boyd View Post
Nice work.

I wish the DRZ was a 6 speed, would make it a great (relatively) lightweight ADV bike overnight with that one single change.
XC, have you thought at all about installing the ACT wide-ratio gearset?

Good job on the glass work, though I have to say I've usually seen the wooden buck used to make the fiberglass mold for the fiberglass end item, rather than for the fiberglass item itself. That way you get the (in theory) nice smooth finished side on the outside. But it takes A LOT of patience and elbow grease with the wooden buck, as you have to get it as smooth and perfect as you want the end item to be.

I'm torn between improving on my current DIY fork-mounted fairing (see pic below), and a head-tube-mounted nav tower like NVTS mentions. I've got a spare frame to play with and a Rally Raid fairing, so we'll see. I'm curious to see yours unfold, so keep up the good work!

Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote