User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
Helibee OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Yet another transformer Sporty

Hi guys. First post, but have been paying attention to Mr Wesley and the Scorpion builds for a long time. Frequent flier on CC and XL. Currently finishing up a build on my 2008 rubber. Been riding all my life, and was bit hard a couple years ago when my wife blessed a bike after being bike-less post kids (17yrs). I was looking for an XR650 at the time, but she suggested a Harley and who am I to argue. Picked up the bike below and rode it 500 miles to its current staging area.

Started looking at all the things that folks do/have done to these things and ended up deciding I have access to a shop that I won't have ever again, so what the hey, and started my hard tail project.

All well and good, but then I discovered the two builds mentioned above. Never thought of that route with a modern Harley before and started reading up. I think I'm hopelessly bit with whole kit and caboodle, an off-road capable Harley and adventure biking as a whole.

So I've taken my first actual step today. Bought an '03 KTM 525 front end. I'm hoping I can pick the brains of those in the know here and build a kick ass machine, and then ride the heck out of it all over God's creation!

Here's how she sits right now. Almost ready to fire her up. One more electrical circuit, then time the magneto, plumb the fuel line, mount the carb and plumb/bleed the brake system. Once it's running, I'm going to pull the jugs and put some Hammer 1250 jugs and pistons to bump the CR. Should be sitting at around 100hp when done.

Helibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Helibee OP
n00b

So you're probably wondering wth is this guy posting here for? As I mentioned, the 525 forks are on the way. I'm planning on riding this until the snow flies, but then it's going under the knife.

I plan to revert this puppy to a rigid mounted motor. Actually, I'm thinking of cutting the down tubes below the front upper mounts all the way around to the rear mounts, so the lower frame rails would be gone. I'd also add a traditional rigid mount to the heads. Overall, it'd be similar to the Buell hung motor setup. For those familiar, another guy (who unfortunately died recently in an accident on his bike-Bitpusher) did this mod to his bike, so I know the idea has merit.

As far as protecting the motor, I'm thinking of fabbing a oil tank as a heavy duty skid plate and mounting it to the motor mounts. It would increase the surface area for cooling and would be an easy way to lose the tank complication.

A couple questions. I've been looking at used KTM swingarms. I'd obviously have to mod them to work, but are there any glaring flaws with using one of these vs modding my stock sporty swingarm? Any particular year better? I am planning on running a mono shock and want it centered on the swingarm. Then the upper shock mount can go on the back bone. I'll make an aluminum sub assembly for the seat ect.

Overall, interested in your ideas and any pitfalls I may not yet see. Thanks!

Helibee screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 04:04 PM
Old 05-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
nice
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 426
I rarely stick my nose into anybody's builds. I figure it's their bike, money, time, and passion. It's not my place to tell anybody what to do with their motorcycles.

But, that bobber you've got there is just beautiful, and I think it would be a shame for it to disappear, even for an adventure Sporty. It is fantastic!

Why not find another Sportster? I'm seeing running, complete, licensed Evo Sportsters going for 3K (or less) these days. That's probably a drop in the bucket compared to what you've got in the bobber, and what you'll have to put into it adventurizing it.

My 2 cents, and you can tell me to pound sand if you want, I won't be offended.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
xlcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
that's a pretty nice looking ride as is!
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #6
Helibee OP
n00b

It's all good, and I appreciate the words. I'm leaning toward getting another rubber frame and just swapping the motor and a few parts between the two when wanted. Best of both worlds. I just can't get the adv bike build out of my head!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Like Pinocono, I'm slow to butt into someone's build thread, but it seems like you'll spend much time, money, and effort turning your current masterpiece into a pre-rubber mount sportster, and harm a current thing of beauty in the process. Why not just buy a pre-rubber mount sportster, and start from there?

I'm not understanding the "remove the under slung frame" part of your plan. That frame is a great place to put skid plates and protect the engine. But, if you do that, how do you trade the engine back into the bobber when you want?
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Helibee OP
n00b

Hi Boatpuller. I get the thoughts. And yes, I put ALOT of time and effort into the bike as it sits. I'm searching for a frame now. Shouldn't be that hard to find one with paper.

Here's a link to Bitpusher's bike as mentioned above, if anyone is interested in reading.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26352

Here's a couple pics of his bike:

His oil tank is in the swingarm and the motor is "hung" by the front, top and rear motor mounts.

To pull the motor to swap, it would be a matter of pulling the wheels, pulling the forks, swingarm and oil tank, and it's free, aside from the little things like bolts and cables.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Steveo1o9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Please don't, that bobber looks great, leave it as is and start a new one!
Steveo1o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Ed_in_miami
Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer: 1,258
I second that. I'd leave that bobber alone as it stands. A newer sporty would benefit more, can be had for less $$, and deserves the transformation.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Helibee OP
n00b

Here's a gratuitous shot of the bobber version. It started for the first time last week, in a year and a half. Discovered a fuel tank leak, so I couldn't do much until I get it fixed, and then left town for work, so I daydream the days away until I can get back in front of it.

I've been collecting parts for the on/off road version, to include a swingarm with linkage, tank, seat and as of yesterday, a '99 frame.

I have a question regarding the swingarm shock linkage I'm hoping folks can help me with.

Here is a shot of another bike with similar linkage to what I'm going to use. Does anyone have an idea what the offset between the swingarm pivot and the linkage pivot points measures c-c? I'm going to run a KTM 690 swingarm and monoshock with an 18" wheel.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Helibee OP
n00b

Getting close to cutting:

b