User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
Soggy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
84 XR5 Motard Proj

My brother and I just picked up this beauty 84 xr500 with plans to Sumo it out.

Was told it was bored to a 550 and has a Web Racing cam (stage 1 I believe) It was running when we got it but had a prominent but inconsistent ticking/knocking in the top end so we brought it home and started tearing it down before running it again.

Frame partially stripped:

We removed the swingarm and engine and started digging into the top end, not knowing what we would find. We pulled the valve inspection caps and noticed one rocker arm seemed to be more free and loose then the others. We removed the valve cover and discovered a spacing (wavy) washer was missing from the left side intake rocker arm. We found one piece sitting on top of the valve head and another was wedge next to the head and cam chain tensioner(read: lucky).
The Culprit:

The good news is we got an extra nearly complete partially dissaembled engine with the bike and found the correct washer in a parts box to replace the broken one. Though we have decided to just replace all 4 and start fresh. We are waiting on a repair manual to put the valve cover back on and get correct torque specs and also to set the valve clearances.

When pulling the timing plugs on left side engine case to access the flywheel we found what appeared to be engine oil residue on the inside of the timing plugs, we suspect a bad crank seal, but some research suggests this may be normal? Can anyone confirm? We are waiting on a flywheel puller to yank it off and see whats behind there.

Here is the frame completely stripped and ready for paint removal and a fresh paint job. We are likely going with a blue paint scheme on the frame close to the old Honda Candy Sapphire perhaps if we can find something similar

Will be stripping the paint tonight and deciding on the color soon and hopefully painting this weekend. Will have some more pics soon!

-Soggy
Soggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
Cool project.

I don't think there ever was a 550cc kit for these bikes--I could be wrong though.
Oil in the stator is normal--they are an oil bath system.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Soggy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Cool project.

I don't think there ever was a 550cc kit for these bikes--I could be wrong though.
Oil in the stator is normal--they are an oil bath system.
Thanks Brucifer for the info.

I found some 544 kits, so maybe that is what is in there. I am curious to know, but not sure it's worth tearing down when the engine seems to run strong now.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Soggy OP
Adventurer

Did a little paint prep last night usign aircraft stripper. It did an ok job of removing alot of the paint. We plan on sanding the frame and putting on a primer coat today. Here is where we are at:

We'll get some more exciting updates soon!

Cheers!

-Soggy
Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

If you have any questions specific to your bike, look up Ghost Mutant. He's our local '83-'84 XR500R guru.

Where are you located? That shot you have with the city lights in the background is cool.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
Soggy OP
Adventurer

Good to know thx.

We are in Salt Lake City. The sunsets from this spot put the city lights to shame but not a bad view for sure!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Soggy OP
Adventurer

finish paint

Here's the finish color we went with a cobalt blue metallic.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:33 AM   #8
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,943
Wow, the frame looks great in that color, good for you. I'm subscribed.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
Good to know thx.

We are in Salt Lake City. The sunsets from this spot put the city lights to shame but not a bad view for sure!
I had grandparents and some great aunts and uncles in the Salt Lake City area but sadly, they have all passed on. I still have a couple of second cousins there but I haven't seen them since '91--which is the last time I was there.
Do you remember the Beefeaters (I believe it was called) restaurant?

That blue you chose for your frame looks darn good.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
Soggy OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the compliments guys. We are pretty happy with how it looks. Put a coat of Aluminum on the swingarm too, will have some pics of that soon. Engine will hopefully we going back together this week and maybe make it into the frame this weekend. Hopefully we can get it in there without scratching the paint!

Brucifer - can't say I'm familiar with that restaurant, but we're transplants from New England, only been around here for about 5-6 years.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
Soggy OP
Adventurer

Not much to update.

Got a pic of the repainted swingarm:

And a cool shot of the OG Honda Badge:

Next up is setting the valve lash and putting the motor back in the frame and start reassembling everything. We are going to stick with the original vintage Honda Red for the plastics. Anyone have a good method for restoring old plastics?

In the not to distant future we will hopefully get our hands on some Warp 9 hoops and lace em to the stock hubs. Planning on keeping the front end as is for now with some stiffer springs installed but an early 90's CR front end could be in the picture at some point.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #12
TUCKERS
the famous james

WD40 will brighten up the plastic, but it attracts dust pretty quickly and won't last. You can also use the liquid designed for rubber bumpers on cars, it's rather like Armorall.
For a Zombie Apocalypse look you can reproduce them in diamond plate alloy sheet.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Soggy OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks for the tip Tuck. I've heard of people using boiled linseed oil as well, any knowledge of that? how it works? I'd like to stay away from WD-40 on the plastics, but the renew polish you are talking about might be a good idea.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
TUCKERS
the famous james

Never used linseed oil, but I have used diesel fuel! Works a treat but doesn't last. Perhaps you could just clean them with rubbing compound and then clear coat them with rattle can.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #15
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Play a hot air gun over the plastic until the colour comes back, dont overdo it but you'll get the hang of it quick enough. beware the bit youre holding can get hot and dont put the hot it on anything dirty as it may pick up. Works great on all types of trim.

For Sale: XL500R in Sydney, Aus. PM me.
Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com!
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote