Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #166
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,238
I hate to break this to you now, but it's dead easy to import whole bikes into the U.S., as long as they are 25 years old or older . . . or at least you have paperwork that SAYS they are that old.

Here's a thread I put together to help others through the process. Next time somebody wants to bring a Minsk to the U.S., you might try this method: Linky.

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #167
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
I hate to break this to you now, but it's dead easy to import whole bikes into the U.S., as long as they are 25 years old or older . . . or at least you have paperwork that SAYS they are that old.

Here's a thread I put together to help others through the process. Next time somebody wants to bring a Minsk to the U.S., you might try this method: Linky.
He did import three whole bikes. They're just in a thousand pieces wrapped in cardboard.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #168
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Next time somebody wants to bring a Minsk to the U.S., you might try this method: Linky.
Next time?!

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #169
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef
soul? respectful? really? i could concede that there might be some change in the overall identity of the bike, in that it end up with a front end that was actually functional (ooh look, forks AND brakes AND wheel bearings, it's like magic!), and therefore would make the rest of the bike suck that much more. but to be concerned about altering the intrinsic character of this bike, somehow tainting it, that's a pretty hard road to follow.

although, there is the very real possibility that slapping a whole new front end on could cause the rest of the bike to spontaneously disintegrate. in a glorious cloud of baking soda maybe...
But this isn't just some piece of shit that he picked up out of someone's garbage, this is an old friend, a trusted companion from a memorable adventure. The bike was "actually functional" with a freakin' beer can shim in the egg-shaped headstock, how much worse could he muck it up? I doubt he's planning on touring here with this thing, or riding it on the highway, or charging the Dragon. But what a cool bike to cruise down to the local donut shop on a Saturday morning!

But like I said, I'm a little sentimental.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #170
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 937
Actually, we all doubt he's gonna go touring on this....but if anyone else here has spent countless hours, working on cleaning, and fixing some old broken poorly designed piece of shit in the name of loyalty, style, and sentimentality....the horizon in that person's eyes will look more like a lap around the world, not to the mall and back. I'm betting this suckers got another road trip in her...
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #171
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart
But this isn't just some piece of shit that he picked up out of someone's garbage, this is an old friend, a trusted companion from a memorable adventure. The bike was "actually functional" with a freakin' beer can shim in the egg-shaped headstock, how much worse could he muck it up? I doubt he's planning on touring here with this thing, or riding it on the highway, or charging the Dragon. But what a cool bike to cruise down to the local donut shop on a Saturday morning!

But like I said, I'm a little sentimental.
Well said, you've nailed exactly where I'm coming from.

Now, the big problem with any kind of head stock replacement is the welding and machining. I do not have the ability to cut off the existing one properly, much less weld on a new/used/re-sleeved one properly. I could probably weld it on so that it wouldn't fall off, but I couldn't get the angles correct. Also, the tube would warp while welding it on, which would necessitate machining the top and bottom of the tube so that the bearing races have a proper I.D. to press into. Using a much long/taller head tube might avoid having to do this by getting the bearing race surface far enough away from the heat that it would not need to be machined, but then I would have to change to a longer stem. Let's skip that idea altogether, sighting "insufficient skill set".

Has anybody else tried that Japanese beer, Sapporo? Really tasty beer. But more importantly, the can is made out of some really thick aluminum. Hmmm...

Keep the ideas coming!
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '07 Sprinter CDI, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '91 Range Rover Classic, '04 VW Phaeton, '80 242DL, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '84 K30, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #172
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,700
So, is it time to put the welders and machine tools away and discuss the best way to apply JB and keep the bearings as clean, true and straight as possible while the JB sets?

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #173
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
i don't trust jbweld. i think you might be on the right track with sapporo. it will seem like a really good idea after you have prepared a few cans by removing the liquid.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #174
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,325
JB Weld being an epoxy, will help fill the voids but it isn't a good choice to act as a major source of strength. That is what metal is good for.

But then this being an adventure in finding meaning in the relativistic functions of the various parts of a motorcycle, perhaps it will serve as another aspect of discovery.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #175
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
JB Weld being an epoxy, will help fill the voids but it isn't a good choice to act as a major source of strength. That is what metal is good for.

But then this being an adventure in finding meaning in the relativistic functions of the various parts of a motorcycle, perhaps it will serve as another aspect of discovery.

JJ
The idea is to JB the races into the tube, right? The JB will take up the gaps between the egg-shaped tube and the races, then the whole thing will be held in compression by the stem. The JB doesn't really have to contribute any strength whatsoever. As long as it's strong enough to not be crushed by the stem, and sticky enough to keep the races from spinning, it should be all good. What am I missing?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #176
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 919
I picked up some stuff called Q-Bond the other day that might be worth looking into. It has a metallic kind of filler that looks to be pretty strong - ugly, but strong.

I'd probably opt for finding a machine shop with a guy as crazy as you are and have him build it up and machine it out to what it needs to be. Too bad Kenny Howard isn't still around - he'd have a blast with this.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #177
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart
The idea is to JB the races into the tube, right? The JB will take up the gaps between the egg-shaped tube and the races, then the whole thing will be held in compression by the stem. The JB doesn't really have to contribute any strength whatsoever. As long as it's strong enough to not be crushed by the stem, and sticky enough to keep the races from spinning, it should be all good. What am I missing?
+1

The trick to doing this is fabricating some sort of jig that will allow you to install the races and properly align them before the JB Weld sets up. I'd think you could fabricate something with 2x4's, nuts and bolts, some all-thread rod, and miscellaneous spacers and washers to do the job. Once you've got your jig built, do a few "dry runs" to make sure you can apply the JB Weld, install the bearing races, and tighten up the alignment jig before the JB Weld sets up. You should be able to keep the epoxy out of the bearings with masking tape.

Worst case- knock the races back out, chip/grind the JB Weld out and start over.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #178
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses
+1

The trick to doing this is fabricating some sort of jig that will allow you to install the races and properly align them before the JB Weld sets up. I'd think you could fabricate something with 2x4's, nuts and bolts, some all-thread rod, and miscellaneous spacers and washers to do the job. Once you've got your jig built, do a few "dry runs" to make sure you can apply the JB Weld, install the bearing races, and tighten up the alignment jig before the JB Weld sets up. You should be able to keep the epoxy out of the bearings with masking tape.

Worst case- knock the races back out, chip/grind the JB Weld out and start over.
Maybe even put a smear of grease on the ID of the races and the tube above and below where the races sit. That way any squeeze-out should just flake right off.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #179
scwillia
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I am not an expert in metal repair, but I would try removing the previous repair. Looks like somebody created a metal patch and welded it on the front of the head to support the cracked bearing seat. Why not grind off the repair, see if you can get the seat back in shape then weld on another patch.
scwillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #180
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5
Well said, you've nailed exactly where I'm coming from.
You, sir, are doing a darn fine job.

I am skilled in the emptying of beer bottles (I can do cans in a pinch) should you require assistance.