Afghan police bike

Your Range Rover is übercool!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #317
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
If you know somebody that runs an automotive machine shop that has a hot tank for cleaning engine blocks you could get the frames dipped.That will strip them to bare metal.Those engines look like old yamaha or kawi dual sport motors from the early 1970's.If you wanted a real death machine you could try to find an old air cooled honda cr125 elsinore engine-i had 1 and that bike was fast.I like 2 strokes-looking for an old kawi 500cc triple.
The problem with Minsks is the frame is like Flubber and the brakes are non-existant.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #318
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
If you know somebody that runs an automotive machine shop that has a hot tank for cleaning engine blocks you could get the frames dipped.That will strip them to bare metal.
Are you crazy!!! The paint is probably the only thing holding those frames together
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #319
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I totally agree with the two previous posts! I have a sneaking suspicion that the frames are cast solder.
Having a hell of a time getting restarted on this! I came down with the flu, I am out of the house now for the first time in 4 days. Hopefully this week Derek will have some time. We have talked on the phone quite a bit about what we will do next.

Quote:
The problem with Minsks is the frame is like Flubber and the brakes are non-existant.
you have obviously ridden one of these before. This is insider shit, man.

I love the Afghan Police bike! The seat is upholstered with the finest imported truck inner tube, but instead of french stitching that has become so cliche on modern luxury transportation, they just tied it on with some rope. Refreshing. And the Police sticker that looks as if they just pull it off of one Minsk when it craps out and slap it onto the next one. I think I will need one of these when I am done with the three I have.
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '04 VW Phaeton, '94 Suburban, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '95 Range Rover Classic, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #320
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that the frames are cast solder.
I believe the marketing paperwork says "cast from the finest Chinese zinc alloy".
Old 01-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #321
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post
you have obviously ridden one of these before. This is insider shit, man.
I loved my Minsk. Sexy red soviet bike.
Mine had longer shocks, higher seat and the traditional non-working tail-light.
I paid 6 or 7.000.000 dongs for her.

She stayed there and is now probably painted in that shity mate-black color with the red star with which they now paint most of the rental Minsks over there.

I sent the saddles home with the riding gear inside when I was done with the MC part of the trip. They work very nice in my Tenere.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...1/P1120667.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...1/P1120723.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...1/P1120765.jpg

Great effort you are doing. I would gladly have the Minsk here, but I fear they are impossible to register in the EU.

vander screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 09:30 AM
vander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #322
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,230
Since the frame seems to be such a problem , let me suggest a solution. Feel free to disreguard this if nesessary as it will not be original anymore.
Ask the esteemed inmate JJ to build a replica Minsk frame from Stainless Steel as he recently did for a HD powered bike he built for a TV program.
He'll likely jump to the challange since he got no respect for the HD powered bike, losing a challange by some NOOYawker who's bike smoked uncontrolably.
Best of luck with your endevour !
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #323
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Since the frame seems to be such a problem , let me suggest a solution. Feel free to disreguard this if nesessary as it will not be original anymore.
Ask the esteemed inmate JJ to build a replica Minsk frame from Stainless Steel as he recently did for a HD powered bike he built for a TV program.
He'll likely jump to the challange since he got no respect for the HD powered bike, losing a challange by some NOOYawker who's bike smoked uncontrolably.
Best of luck with your endevour !

only if he can replicate the gobs of weld and random nuts tacked on..
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #324
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Oddometer: 155
Wow. Just found this thread. I've ridden my brother-in-laws Minsk a number of times on visits to Russia. It's a fun little bike and works fine. The front end on the one I ride has about an inch of play. No joke - it just flops around. But it stills drives fine, even with 2 people over rather rough terrain. I know it sounds impossible but heck, the thing only goes about 40 or 45.

oldbutspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #325
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Alright Mullet, it's the new year, and you've got at least $20 to burn on restoring that Minsk. How about a progress update?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #326
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

I was supposed to start on it last night, but I had a family dinner that didn't end until almost 11, so that didn't work out. I am determined to put in some time on it this week.

Look, I have proof that I am preparing to work on it!

'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '04 VW Phaeton, '94 Suburban, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '95 Range Rover Classic, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #327
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

And just in case you are wondering, I bought the Minsk Rebuilding Fluid with my own money, not donation money. Though I did think about it.
I probably hate you.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #328
Mr. Fixit
I Yam What I Yam

Oddometer: 668
" Hey Comrade, hold my Tejava and watch this!"

It doesn't get much better than this.
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #329
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Alright Mullet, we need some new photos of Minsk part restoration, baking soda blasting operations, or Minsk rebuilding fluid soon!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #330
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Mullet5 ; I have worked on some less than stellar motorcycles and cars , but this fine example of Soviet engineering is a new benchmark . Thank dog I haven't ran into one , the challenge would be too great to resist ! I am impressed with your ability to teach by showing many different pitfalls of different incorrectly done procedures . You are a true master ! I just started reading this thread a few days ago (many pictures are not showing up) so my brain has to create them using your descriptions . I haven't laughed that much in quite a while , thanks for that . Will be waiting for the rest of this wonderful project . Thanks
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote