Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #376
unheatedgarage
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiky View Post
i know how it feels to put money into somthing that seems hopeless

good luck!
I too have been working on a completely pointless project--CB550K--a total money pit:

but it's slowly coming together:

Ok, ok, back to your regularly scheduled 2-stroke goodness--whar Minsk updates whe
unheatedgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #377
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thanks guys, good to see some other people spraying money into deep dark holes. The new tires, tubes, and rim strips arrived, just can't find the time to put them on. Soon!
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '04 VW Phaeton, '94 Suburban, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '95 Range Rover Classic, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #378
s1000rr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Mullet I just finished reading your post you are hillary ass. I was howling when you did the soda blasting in your garage. I give you credit for staying with the minsk I would have cut my losses a long time ago.
s1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #379
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post
Thanks guys, good to see some other people spraying money into deep dark holes. The new tires, tubes, and rim strips arrived, just can't find the time to put them on. Soon!

Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #380
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post
It is actually using a readily available tire size, 3.00-18. Funny you should ask, after we finished working last night (well, this morning technically) Derek and I picked out some new tires, and they are on their way.

I'm feeling good about the Minsk right now. After last night's Heat & Smash, Derek measured the head tube, and he says we are very close. What a relief. I feel like we made actual progress last night, like we may have progressed a few yards towards the light at the end of this long, long, crumbling, stinky Soviet tunnel. Can't wait to do the next step!

Does Derek actually know what he is doing? It would have taken a lot less time to have made a new head tube and fitted that, rather than messing around doing a very crude bodge job on the original (which seems to me like its scrap).

Twin-shocker screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 03:45 AM
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #381
2trally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
They didn't want to make a new head tube and they didn't want to fit a new head tube. What they're doing isn't exactly crude either, applying heat and pressure to the metal will not only reshape it, but it will probably act a little like forging, making the metal stronger.

2trally screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 12:12 PM
2trally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #382
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Ya know once you're done with the restos of the Minskis the next logical step (as if there is any logic in that at all) is to do the same to a Trabant. Just imagine the Trabi pulling the trailer in to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in a big cloud of blue smoke. You roll out the Minsk and fire it up. More smoke. Much more smoke. You rip around a couple of greens to show what it can do. Probably not much, but what the heck if it's still running after a few minutes. When the show is over you take your shoe off and bang it on the trophy table where you were denied, shouting "Мы вас похороним!" You load the Minsk on the trailer and dissappear into the still lingering haze as the line of Sheriff's cars comes racing in. Remember, comrade, there is no victory; your reward is entirely in the struggle.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #383
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
Ya know once you're done with the restos of the Minskis the next logical step (as if there is any logic in that at all) is to do the same to a Trabant. Just imagine the Trabi pulling the trailer in to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in a big cloud of blue smoke. You roll out the Minsk and fire it up. More smoke. Much more smoke. You rip around a couple of greens to show what it can do. Probably not much, but what the heck if it's still running after a few minutes. When the show is over you take your shoe off and bang it on the trophy table where you were denied, shouting "Мы вас похороним!" You load the Minsk on the trailer and dissappear into the still lingering haze as the line of Sheriff's cars comes racing in. Remember, comrade, there is no victory; your reward is entirely in the struggle.

classic, thx for that
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #384
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqzilla View Post
Perhaps one like this one???

But probably more like this one:

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #385
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trally View Post
They didn't want to make a new head tube and they didn't want to fit a new head tube. What they're doing isn't exactly crude either, applying heat and pressure to the metal will not only reshape it, but it will probably act a little like forging, making the metal stronger.
If they didnt want to do the job properly, it would have been a good idea to take it somewhere else, as I would guess you have probably paid 2-3 times as much for a lash up, than a proper job would have cost.

Heating and working cheap ERW mild steel is very likely to weaken it substantially, and I would guess cracking near the join is going to be relatively likely.

The people that lashed your frame up do seem to be pretty good at BS and overcharging, but I guess as times are hard dishonesty like this is getting more and more common.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #386
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If they didnt want to do the job properly, it would have been a good idea to take it somewhere else, as I would guess you have probably paid 2-3 times as much for a lash up, than a proper job would have cost.

Heating and working cheap ERW mild steel is very likely to weaken it substantially, and I would guess cracking near the join is going to be relatively likely.

The people that lashed your frame up do seem to be pretty good at BS and overcharging, but I guess as times are hard dishonesty like this is getting more and more common.

Yo n00bie d00d, you need to lighten up a bunch and get with the flow of the thread, you know feel the rhythm. So far your posts are seriously rocking the boat and IMO out of line. Bad mouthing someone and or his work at it is clear you don't know enough about isn't going to earn you any creds around here.

Relax, enjoy the party, life's to short.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #387
2trally
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:

I suppose we'll see when he gets it running.
2trally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #388
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
Yo n00bie d00d, you need to lighten up a bunch and get with the flow of the thread, you know feel the rhythm. So far your posts are seriously rocking the boat and IMO out of line. Bad mouthing someone and or his work at it is clear you don't know enough about isn't going to earn you any creds around here.

Relax, enjoy the party, life's to short.

Just dont like to see anyone getting ripped off for shoddy poorly done work! In this case it would have been far easier to machine a new head tube and fit to the frame, than mess around with a bodge job which I guess would have probably cost 3 times as much as doing it right!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #389
DaverCoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Just dont like to see anyone getting ripped off for shoddy poorly done work! In this case it would have been far easier to machine a new head tube and fit to the frame, than mess around with a bodge job which I guess would have probably cost 3 times as much as doing it right!

+1 for Treadless

Twin-shocker, this aint about you dude.
How about something positive from your keyboard for a change.
Mullet5 is doing his thing, and it's working for him. We're here to ride along with him and support the little bike coming back to life. -and having a serious hell of a laugh doing it. Positive man. Positive!
Just my $0.02

Killer thread Mullet5! You've laughted me to tears bro.
Hang in there, the head tube will be fine.
Lets get that engine running!
DaverCoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #390
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Like it or not I cannot and will not support anyone getting ripped off! Especially in the case of worksmanship so shoddy it may well mean the finished bike is unsafe.

I cant quite get why accepting poor work is seen as positive and helpful, while pointing this out is regarded as anything but?