Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #391
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,544
You are obviously not accustomed to soviet-era Russian welding. It comes in two forms: 1. that which was accomplished while blind drunk with a gas torch and a coat hanger. 2: that which was accomplished while completely hung-over (Похмелье, which is very different from a Western hangover) with a gas torch and a coat hanger.

It's what's known as a "sympathetic restoration." The entire bike was unsafe right from the box. Luckily, it can be passed by a loaded log truck, so it's difficult to get into too much trouble on one.

It ain't ever going to be a Ducati. Lighten up.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 08:14 AM
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #392
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Just dont like to see anyone getting ripped off for shoddy poorly done work! In this case it would have been far easier to machine a new head tube and fit to the frame, than mess around with a bodge job which I guess would have probably cost 3 times as much as doing it right!
Actually, it would have been easier to buy a KLR. However, that wasn't the goal.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #393
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Actually, it would have been easier to buy a KLR. However, that wasn't the goal.
To tell you the truth I cant actually see how getting ripped off by someone who obviously doesnt have a clue as to what they are doing, is likely to make things any easier?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #394
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,208
Quote:
To tell you the truth I cant actually see how getting ripped off by someone who obviously doesnt have a clue as to what they are doing, is likely to make things any easier?
There are many ways to get to any given point. And yes I would have done it differently (but I'm left handed so I always do things differently ) than what was done here. And if shoddy workmanship and safety is your main concern then the whole POS frame should be replaced. Also with restorations often the goal is preserve as much of the original material as possible either for the sake of perceived monetary and or sentimental value and that the history of the vehicle is preserved.

So stop acting like a dick, mmk.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #395
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
+1

We get that you don't like it. You made your point, now for God's sake let it go.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #396
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,143
So, I just subscribed, and for many reasons I'm loving this rebuild. What's new in the garage?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #397
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,203
Hey- I even contributed to the Minsk restoration fund. I want to see a bolt get installed, a spoke get tightened or some other substantial progress.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #398
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

For those excited by the precision and performance of these stunning machines, you'll be glad to know that the M125 is available NEW, as well as a range of other bikes in various displacements. And they are seeking dealers:

http://en.minskmoto.by/
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #399
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 311
I like how the website is broken and buggy. That bodes well.
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #400
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar View Post
Yeah, but how's this for sales hype?

Unpretentious and trouble-free, this avtomat Kalashnikov of a M1NSK is designed to dominate the off-road world. The M 125 x is extremely practical for cross-country riding, with heaps of torque at low revs and additional storage space suited to long trips. Its hardy, black colour scheme is symbolic of is durable character.

The avtomat Kalashnikov is also know an the AK in its various iterations. . .

Canuman screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 02:49 PM
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #401
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar View Post
I had no problems with the website.there's quite a few nice small beginner bikes on there.I'd buy if there was a dealer import that could get repair parts and was reliable.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #402
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I had no problems with the website.there's quite a few nice small beginner bikes on there.I'd buy if there was a dealer import that could get repair parts and was reliable.
In my experience, former East-bloc stuff reaches a point of charming decrepitude fairly rapidly and then soldiers on in a sort of painful half-life for a very long time afterward. It's like owning post-war British iron, only more frustrating and more difficult to get parts for. At least with the Brits, you know when the company is bankrupt. . . I've never owned a Russian bike, but a buddy ran a Lada Niva that would go almost anywhere if you could keep it in one piece long enough. I've spent some time in Russia.

And yes, the East Bloc nations are very trick web designers.

If I had to choose an Eastern European bike, I'd go with Jawa. The Czechs drink beer, are better machinists, and not quite so hung-over as a general thing.

But I digress. About this Minsk, Tovarich?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #403
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 922
You know that R250 or the R250RS could be fun.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #404
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
There are many ways to get to any given point. And yes I would have done it differently (but I'm left handed so I always do things differently ) than what was done here. And if shoddy workmanship and safety is your main concern then the whole POS frame should be replaced. Also with restorations often the goal is preserve as much of the original material as possible either for the sake of perceived monetary and or sentimental value and that the history of the vehicle is preserved.

In this case the OPs frame had a badly damaged head stock. The correct way to deal with this is to make a new head stock and fit it to the frame.

The lash up of a job that was carried out with the aid of CAD drawings, is just about the worst example of someone being ripped off I have seen for a very long while!

Even if the work was done for free whoever did it seems very irresponsible, in that even though when working on something which is safety critical, they seem to have no interest whatsoever in carrying out a job which is safe.

Why anyone would want to support the idea of ripping people off with poor quality and expensive work is beyond me, but that it seems to be the case here!
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #405
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I'm not defending anybody's shitty work. I'm defending the OP doing what he wants.

The owner of the bike didn't want to make a new head tube.
End. Of. Discussion.

He's not doing how you would. Actually, he's not doing it how I would, but I'm shutting my fucking mouth and not telling him how "wrong" he is. I'm sitting back, and watching a guy who wants to work on a weird bike.

There's thousands of bike building threads here, how about you go into all of them and tell the owner that they are doing it wrong? Do we all need your approval? Do you need to approve everything I do on my Thin-Strom project?

The short version: The OP doesn't care about your opinion.

Quote:
In this case the OPs frame had a badly damaged head stock. The correct way to deal with this is to make a new head stock and fit it to the frame.

The lash up of a job that was carried out with the aid of CAD drawings, is just about the worst example of someone being ripped off I have seen for a very long while!

Even if the work was done for free whoever did it seems very irresponsible, in that even though when working on something which is safety critical, they seem to have no interest whatsoever in carrying out a job which is safe.

Why anyone would want to support the idea of ripping people off with poor quality and expensive work is beyond me, but that it seems to be the case here!
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote