Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #436
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by unheatedgarage View Post
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #437
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Now, to REALLY get into the spirit of this resto, I recommend you watch a film from Russia called The Peculiarities of the National Fishing. (Особенности национальной рыбалки.) It will get you into the spirit -- where nothing is done correctly, but everything works out in the end. It's a pisser. (And thankfully subtitled.)

If you don't want to buy a copy, pm me and I'll send you mine. Consider it a donation to the Worker's Struggle.

First off, glad that this thread is back on it's haphazard track.
Second, thank you for the soda blasting episode. I really enjoy your very dry wit. ( I wish I had taken pictures when my driveway looked like it snowed in SoCal in June..................so I can sympathize, but at least I could use a hose to clean up )
BTW, there is backing soda just for soda blasting, it's not quite as fine as the stuff you used. Easier to clean up.

Third, that movie is not on Netflix, dang it. I was so hoping it would be, oh well.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #438
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
Third, that movie is not on Netflix, dang it. I was so hoping it would be, oh well.
Amazon has it.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #439
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
This has to be the greatest thread I've ever seen. Keep up the good (enough) work.
avgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #440
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Gefwif

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
This has to be the greatest thread I've ever seen. Keep up the good (enough) work.
Years ago I met a gentleman who firmly believed in the following credo: Good Enough For Who It's For, hence the GEFWIF acronym.

I will modify that credo for this bike and replace the Who with What, i.e. the Minsk.
Kai Ju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #441
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
perhaps you could have shipped those bikes over in the trunk of a Lada. then you could have another project to work on..
Bluebone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #442
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebone View Post
perhaps you could have shipped those bikes over in the trunk of a Lada. then you could have another project to work on..
I actually admired the Lada Zhiguli based on the Fiat. Air-cooled, with a ton of suspension travel. Tough as Hell. We took one places that I would go in my Land Cruiser -- if I had it in Russia.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #443
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I actually admired the Lada Zhiguli based on the Fiat. Air-cooled, with a ton of suspension travel. Tough as Hell. We took one places that I would go in my Land Cruiser -- if I had it in Russia.
back in the early '80s i had a Fiat 131. it was a blast to drive. had something of a love/hate relationship with that car cuz it was so fun to drive but very difficult to keep running reliably. i wished i had it back tho.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #444
bdjuju
Should be wrenching

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
back in the early '80s i had a Fiat 131. it was a blast to drive. had something of a love/hate relationship with that car cuz it was so fun to drive but very difficult to keep running reliably. i wished i had it back tho.
In college, I had an 850 Spider that I swear I pushed more than I drove. It was a good thing I lived close to campus. Ended up giving it to some poor sap. Wish I had put a Honda motor in it.
bdjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #445
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
I had a 128 and later a 131 and they were both the same. Fun cars but always broken. Italian materials in 70's weren't exactly aerospace quality...
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #446
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSharp View Post
I had a 128 and later a 131 and they were both the same. Fun cars but always broken. Italian materials in 70's weren't exactly aerospace quality...
aint that the truth. my biggest problem was that i couldnt find a replacement clamp that held the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. i had to keep trying to put the old clamp on but it wouldnt hold very long.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #447
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Tonight the rear wheel got a new rim strip, tube, and tire. Same story as the front, but without the pinched tube.

This next one is a picture from the last post, when I did the front wheel. I am re posting it because I forgot to point something out. You see the wire wheel I have on the grinder? It says it is safe up to 12,500rpm, and my grinder only spins 10,000rpm. According to my abacus, that leaves 2,500rpm of headroom. And yet, when I turn it on, I am assaulted by hundreds of short, wavy stainless steel wires. Its like a robot porcupine swallowed a hand grenade. They stick into my skin, giving me a peculiar pattern of little welts. I can only hope that if I die within the next few days, the coroner will be stumped.

And yet, I continue to do it...

This picture illustrates that the extremely slipshod build quality extends beyond the bike itself. Something tells me that they did not outsource the wheels, but rather made them in house with the kind of craftsmanship and skill that an employee can only attain after decades of being blackout drunk at work.

Matching pair!

Now to thank our sponsors! Since some of you brainiacs decided to send me money, I thought it would be cool to put each person's donation toward a part, rather than saying "you 18 idiots over there gave me enough to buy ONE tire." That way everybody gets something tangible (and terrible).

So, Hughlysses was first. What a fine honor! This can be part of your ADV signature now. First to throw money at the idiot rebuilding worthless crap! You are a philanthropic gentleman. For your kindness, you get the front tire/tube/rim strip set up. Look at that bad boy! The tire was made with care by the good folks at Golden Boy (Who?), and will bring me many yards of uninterrupted pleasure. Thank you.

Tytvan was next, giving him the enviable title "Minsk Donation For Making Of Glorious Motorbike - 000002"
So you get the rear tire/tube/rim strip, which is a matching set with Hughlysses' Golden Boy. Impeccable taste you gentlemen have. The rim strips were made by "Bulk - 10pcs in pack". Only the finest here, boys.

Just in case we have other deep thinkers in our midst, the paypal email address to send donations to is Minskidiot@gmail.com
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '04 VW Phaeton, '94 Suburban, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '95 Range Rover Classic, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #448
Jersey Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Oh my god this is awesome!

RRMC

1979 Honda XL 500 "freebie"
1982 Honda XL 500 "cannabalized"
2000 KTM 250mxc
2000 XR 80
1989 Yamaha Radian(sold)

Its far easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...
Jersey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #449
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Dave View Post
Oh my god this is awesome!
I concur!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #450
Wingfixer
Watch this...