Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #451
CaptainSWJR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
This thread is what the internet is for.

I had a giggle-snort attack when I got to the soda blasting episode.

It was 1am, the kids are asleep... must. not. laugh. too. loud. It was like having some kind of attack trying to laugh quietly. If my wife had wandered by, I think she would have called the hospital.

I'm sending you $10. This thread was funnier than a hit of NO2.
CaptainSWJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #452
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet5 View Post

This picture illustrates that the extremely slipshod build quality extends beyond the bike itself. Something tells me that they did not outsource the wheels, but rather made them in house with the kind of craftsmanship and skill that an employee can only attain after decades of being blackout drunk at work.

God I love this thread! I was thrilled to see it pop back up. Please continue to post your progress (or lack there of)

P.S. Down with trolls, if you don't think this is the funniest thing since handing a baby a razor blade, go leaf through a Touratech catalog and sip your Venti half-soy half-skim caramel faga-latte and leave the rest of us in peace.

Transitioning to dirt from squiding?
MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #453
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaParkerColo View Post
God I love this thread! I was thrilled to see it pop back up. Please continue to post your progress (or lack there of)

P.S. Down with trolls, if you don't think this is the funniest thing since handing a baby a razor blade, go leaf through a Touratech catalog and sip your Venti half-soy half-skim caramel faga-latte and leave the rest of us in peace.
oh i love this stuff, there's just something about making a winner out of less than nothing that makes redneck engineering the best way of getting things done.
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #454
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 390
So, to make sure we stay on a safe topic...

What kind of capitalist pig oil will you be adding to this wonderful example of the people's bike?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #455
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Awesome!

great build thread, it is all about having fun, thanks for helping us remember that!

ps; where do I get a Minsk owners club t-shirt?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #456
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie

Oddometer: 315
This is Nucking Futs

I just stumbled upon this thread two days ago and have never been so amused in my life. Sounds like my 1980 KZ750 rebuild fiasco. Just gonna say, I have never gone through as much oil in anything in my whole life. My buddies garage has more kitty litter or Oil Dry all over the floor than he has clear floor. Keep up the good work, I mean keep up the work and have a blast doing it. Thank you for giving me something funny to kill the mundane work week. because I laughed so hard.

Stephen
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #457
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24

31 pages of Ruskie torture, Trabbies, swallowtail Rabbits, seriously awesome off roaders, a liberal coating of Christmas in the garage, and a most excellent shutdown of the biggest tool in the thread.

I read it in one shot and feel like I need a shower. Awesome! Keep up this most excellent debacle and I'll send a few bucks your way if my kids ever decide to stop eating or something.
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #458
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,376
I'm gonna get some Minsk stickers made up and put them on my Honda 250 petrol tank and call it done.

Great thread......we need more eccentrics in this World
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #459
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
DUDE! When am I gonna DO this??

You people keep me going on this, thank you all for continuing to follow this. Alright, ok, ok, uhhhh here we go. I am going to go to Derek's tonight for an hour or two come hell or high water. I am buried at work, and I have too many cars, so I keep thinking I am going to work on the Minsk, and then it gets put on the back burner over and over. TONIGHT.

I. Want. Progress.

Naturally, I have not asked Derek if he has time.

In other news, A friend closed down his shop and sold me his lathe for super cheap. What this means for all of you is that the possibility of catastrophic (hilarious) failure has just skyrocketed. Also, it means I can attempt working on these stupid bikes without dragging Derek's good name through the oily soviet mud. Me, with a lathe? What could go wrong?

TONIGHT! (Hopefully)
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '07 Sprinter CDI, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '91 Range Rover Classic, '04 VW Phaeton, '80 242DL, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '84 K30, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #460
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,207
Quote:
Me, with a lathe? What could go wrong?

oh... hang on a minute, I need to fetch a beer.

Ok, I'm ready now.

Treadless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #461
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
steering head idea

Ok crazy builder dude, i'm a little late to the party and will admit I have not read it all (YET) but if you haven't finalized your steering head, what about one of the fairly inexpensive steering head tapered bearing kits from "All Balls"? IIRC you can pick your inner and outer diameters from a chart and theoretically with small bit of work get the races to slip into the head (maybe some epoxy or even brazing if you feel like gettin' fancy) and then re-assemble with tapered bearing on the stem?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #462
Mullet5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Ok crazy builder dude, i'm a little late to the party and will admit I have not read it all (YET) but if you haven't finalized your steering head, what about one of the fairly inexpensive steering head tapered bearing kits from "All Balls"? IIRC you can pick your inner and outer diameters from a chart and theoretically with small bit of work get the races to slip into the head (maybe some epoxy or even brazing if you feel like gettin' fancy) and then re-assemble with tapered bearing on the stem?
It is likely that this is the first thread where someone suggested epoxy as the "fancy" alternative to anything. Love it.

I can't remember where we left off with the bearings, I think we might already have a set picked out, but this All Balls company looks like a good resource. http://www.allballsracing.com/media/...aringSizes.pdf
Thanks for the tip!
'75 XS650, '77 KE100, 19xx Minsk, '01 F650GS Dakar, '77 Scirocco, '84 Jetta GLI 16v, '88 GLI 16v, '07 Sprinter CDI, '08 Sloan Kwik Load, 85 245Ti, '69 Westfalia, '91 Range Rover Classic, '04 VW Phaeton, '80 242DL, '74 Alfa Romeo Spider, '84 K30, and probably some others that I can't remember right now.
I probably hate you.
Mullet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #463
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,201
Quote:
I. Want. Progress.

Naturally, I have not asked Derek if he has time.

In other news, A friend closed down his shop and sold me his lathe for super cheap. What this means for all of you is that the possibility of catastrophic (hilarious) failure has just skyrocketed. Also, it means I can attempt working on these stupid bikes without dragging Derek's good name through the oily soviet mud. Me, with a lathe? What could go wrong?

TONIGHT! (Hopefully)
Woohoo! Break out the brewskis! We're going Minsking!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #464
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,044

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #465
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,231
Excellent. We can call this the Fear & Latheing phase.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote