User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
CRisthmus OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Introduction: noob moving to Costa Rica

After 8 years of planning and many delays the wife and I should be in Costa Rica in October. I've spent many hours on these forums in anticipation of the great rides ahead of me. If anyone would like to show me some good rides, I should have a bike by December. (probably a Tornado 250). If your passing through CR on a long trip let me know and I'll meet you for a ridealong and a beer. I'll be in the Southern Pacific zone and hopefully stay in that area.
I'm just gonna keep blabbing now just cuz I'm pumped about it. Never really done any ADV riding. I love dirt biking but have lost so many riding areas, got tired of street riding in Alberta on straight roads with cops and speed traps everywhere. I go to B.C. every year just to hit some corners. Looking forward to some longer trips into Nicaragua and Panama.
Before long I should have some good rides and amazing destinations of my own I can share.
CRisthmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Golden Chapati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
There are some real gems in central America and having your own wheels will help you to get off the beaten track; hope your Spanish is ok or your willing to learn as many folks don't speak English. As for the Tornado, it's a great machine and I highly recommend it. Makes for a reasonable lightweight tourer but really shines off road in the dirt.

ˇSuerte!
Golden Chapati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
CRisthmus OP
n00b

Oh ya, I've been working on the Spanish, but have a long way to go. That was my thinking with the Tornado. With the low speed limits in CR I won't need a big bike, and for off road lighter is better. 4 months to go!
Old 05-31-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
Driftin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Check your pm's. Right choice on the Tornado, it helps immensly to have a machine you can fix with a hammer and vice grips. Welcome to the Central America chapter of the asylum.
Driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
alejandro_gp200
Two wheeled rocket

Oddometer: 26
hi! exactly where in CR are you? I live in San Jose but travel very often to Paso Canoas.

I can show you many routes/rides in CR.
Regards!
alejandro_gp200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
CRisthmus OP
n00b

Alejandro that sounds great! I will contact you when I get my bike. We are starting out in Ojochal. We may move around a bit but hope to stay in that area so Paso Canoas will work out good. I wouldn't have a problem heading north for a good ride either. cheers!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 699
I agree the Tornado is a great choice for Costa Rica. I have also ridden the Honda NX400 Falcon extensively in Latin America and found it to be a fantastic choice as well.

The Nicoya Peninsula offers some spectacular riding, see link in my signature line for the tracks I followed.

Enjoy Costa Rica!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
alejandro_gp200
Two wheeled rocket

Oddometer: 26
Well CRisthmus, Ojochal is a very nice "green" place, very rainy also!

I have a GS1200, and its my daily ride, sadly at this part of the year rains every afternoon.... and riding wet on a weekend tour after riding wet every day of the week at work, doesn´t sound pleasant at all...

Any way, let me know when you have the bike, and I´ll show yousome nice rides!
alejandro_gp200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
CRisthmus OP
n00b

Tx poolman, I've already enjoyed your CR solo ride report. I like the "green" Alejandro, we'll see how much rain I can take! I will save most touring for the dry season as well!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 806
Congrats on your new journey! You're sure to have many wild and wonderful adventures!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
fishdawgz
living the dream

Oddometer: 157
Tornado

Great choice of bike for CR. Parts readily available. Pm me and I'll set u up with some nice gps tracks.
fishdawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRisthmus View Post
Tx poolman, I've already enjoyed your CR solo ride report. I like the "green" Alejandro, we'll see how much rain I can take! I will save most touring for the dry season as well!
In Zona Sur and Ojochal it is always the rainy season...well, there is Octubre
The local enduro season is in winter, not as hot. If you wait for no rain you'll never ride.
I'll be back down in November, or sooner? Let's have a beer
Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
CRisthmus OP
n00b

Thanks guys. Should have our airfare booked this week. I see a couple nice low mile Tornados on encuentra24 I've been eyeballing. Just sold my crf450 for half of what I will pay for the Tornado!! but that's ok.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 974
Tornado is the perfect moto for CR

I live down there for almost 4 months per year. The 250cc will be adequate wherever you go. It is super reliable and very economical. Used bikes are pretty expensive down there. I found it better to buy a new one as most of the used Tornados had lots of kilometers on them. I purchased a new 2013 Tornado for $5250, which covered everything including the taxes, plate and Marchama.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #15
CRisthmus OP
n00b

I'll give you a shout in November junglemototours (if I found a bike). Jimmy2020, where do you stay in CR? I was looking for the new price of the Tornado, thanks. That's about the same price as a used low mile one. Hope I can get one for $5250. Do you need a lawyer for a brand new purchase? Booked our flights yesterday, leaving Canada sept. 30
Any info on riding gear availability, and prices would be helpful. Plan on bringing most of my gear if I have room for it but the wifey will need a helmet. Is it hard to find a dual sport helmet? (mx style with a visor)