Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #151
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Thanks for the comments. This is sort of what I thought, I am looking at Girag air frieght from Miami to Colombia. It is not much more money than shipping from Panama City. Do Canadians need a visa?
Cal
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #152
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Thanks for the comments. This is sort of what I thought, I am looking at Girag air frieght from Miami to Colombia. It is not much more money than shipping from Panama City. Do Canadians need a visa?
Cal
Yes, you will need a visa for Brazil... A tourist visa is normally valid for 90 days, but you can get an extension for another 90 days. you need to present yourself at a "Polícia Federal" office BEFORE the first 90 days expire of course ...

Here is a link to the Brazil embassy in Ottawa... I think you can find all the info there : http://www.brasembottawa.org/en/cons...rist_visa.html

Cheers
Raf
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #153
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Question

Hi guys,
Luis from Bogota sent me this email... Anybody have some good info for him?
Thanks
Raf

Help to find an agent to import a Motorcycle in to Brazil

To:info@mirantes-mototravel.com

Hello Raf
I plan to ship by Air my motorcycle from Bogota Colombia to Sao Paulo BR. And ride back from Brazil to colombia. But I need to know some agent or customs broker to get all the information and get the bike out as soon as posible. Do you know any body that can help me with this?

Thanks

Luis

LASER 3 LC

11722 Belden Ct
Livonia, MI 48150
Tel 734 402 7272
laser3Lc@yahoo.com
www.laser3lc.com
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #154
FJakeR
Halape

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT View Post
Hi guys,
Luis from Bogota sent me this email... Anybody have some good info for him?
Thanks
Raf

Honestly? Ship it to Buenos Aires and ride into Brazil then back to Columbia.

I'm flying down to BA tomorrow to pick up a Super Enduro that I had flown in from the US.

Flying a used bike into Brazil can possibly maybe be done if you know someone, but you run the risk of having it shipped to the port and refused entry. Then you have to pay to ship it back and you're back to square one with a lot of money spent.
FJakeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #155
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
Congrats on the new bike

You know you are welcome to stay at my house on your way back (or any time). That would leave you with about an 8 hour ride to SP....well may 5-6 the way you drive

I am in Jaragua do Sul just a little west of Joinville for the next...6-8 weeks. After that we will be near .........some beach around here.

Have a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJakeR View Post
Honestly? Ship it to Buenos Aires and ride into Brazil then back to Columbia.

I'm flying down to BA tomorrow to pick up a Super Enduro that I had flown in from the US.

Flying a used bike into Brazil can possibly maybe be done if you know someone, but you run the risk of having it shipped to the port and refused entry. Then you have to pay to ship it back and you're back to square one with a lot of money spent.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #156
Quasenada
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumb

hi, i'm felipe, live in tangará da serra-mt, looking forward for adventures! have seen some pics of the first BAAM and by the look it was great!

if someone need some advice or help here im ny region will be a pleasure contribute,

and, of course, if there is a possibility to participate in the upcoming events, i will be glad to be there
Quasenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:52 AM   #157
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers

Oddometer: 138
Hi Felipe ! Tnks for keep in touch , probably on next year we try to do another BAMM , will be nice do on MT ! And if you need came to PR just send a PM. Good to know we have more and more ADV fellows in BR!

Ride safe

Rodrigo
rodrigo1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #158
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Speed cameras

Well, after a week of riding in Brazil, I have finally noticed that there are speed cameras, lots of them.

Lets just say that I have gone past all of them doing double and sometimes triple the speed limit.

Is this going to be a problem when I try and leave the country?

I am currently in Santos just south of Sao Paulo trying to get an idea of where to stay in that gigantic city.

Cheers, Vince

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #159
Fernando Costa
Contemplator

Oddometer: 121
Vince,

I would suggest that you take the ferry and cross over to Guarujá, which is a nicer town. It will be crowded though, you are at the peak of the season.

Regarding the cameras, whenever you see one try to ride as close as possible to the line dividing the lanes, the cameras will not catch you there, or as close to the shoulder as possible and, if feasible, ride on the shoulder itself.

There is a program in the net that you can import and feed your Garmin with all the *radares* and you will be warned beforehand; I don't think you will have any problem regarding this when leaving the country but one never knows (it usually takes weeks for them to process the data and mail the notification).

I am in Sao Paulo right now and will be heading to Ilhabela (where I live) probably on wednesday. If you want to drop by and stay there for a couple of nights you are more than welcome to do so.

Cheers,
Old 01-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #160
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Costa View Post
(it usually takes weeks for them to process the data and mail the notification).

I am in Sao Paulo right now and will be heading to Ilhabela (where I live) probably on wednesday. If you want to drop by and stay there for a couple of nights you are more than welcome to do so.

Cheers,
Uh oh, I better start moving fast. Thanks for the great offer, PM sent.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #161
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Well, after a week of riding in Brazil, I have finally noticed that there are speed cameras, lots of them.

Lets just say that I have gone past all of them doing double and sometimes triple the speed limit.

Is this going to be a problem when I try and leave the country?

I am currently in Santos just south of Sao Paulo trying to get an idea of where to stay in that gigantic city.

Cheers, Vince
I was nailed by one on my bike about 3-4 weeks ago and I still have not seen anything yet.......but my family has told me that a lot of people from Argentina (who Brazilians do not like) would park where they were not supposed to, get ticketed and never pay the fines. So they started to send all the Argentinean tickets to the souther boarders and collect the fines before they would let them leave the country.

But.....it does take some time to get the violations from the radar cameras. Most likely at the smaller boarders you will be fine as long as you are not an Argentine or wearing a jersey from an Argentine soccer team.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #162
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Thanks amigo, I think. I'm not a big football guy so I dont own either Argentinian or Brasilian football shirts, so I should be safe crossing the border at Oiapoque.

Wow, I didnt know the Brasilians and Argentinians did not like each other. Every time I have seen Argentinian and Brasilian people together, they get along very well and its a big party atmosphere. Maybe the governments dont get along, but the people sure do.

crashmaster screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 11:46 AM
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #163
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Thumb Brasil

On another note, Brasil is nothing like I expected. The culture, language, people, everything is so different from the rest of South America, I am very surprised and I like it.

The language is interesting. If I speak Spanish to people, they understand everything, but when they reply to me I understand nothing, and it almost sounds as if they are speaking a slavic or eastern European language. Really amazing how unique the Brasilian culture is. I really like it here.

You Brasileros have a wonderful country.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #164
Linhares OP
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
You Brasileros have a wonderful country.
Thanks for the compliments, Vince!

How is the weather where you are?
You know, there have been strong rains all through Brazil. Be careful.

Abraços,
Linhares
Linhares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #165
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Rain , rain, and more rain. Then after it rains, it starts to rain really hard. I'm beginning to wonder how bad the rains have been in the north near the French Guiana border? Supposedly, the wet season there does not start until April.