Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #196
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirantesMT View Post
PS: FYI... I received a traffic ticket in the mail... I passed a camera in Mato Grosso do sul and I was doing almost 60 where only 30 was allowed. This is a +500R$ ticket... I really hope they didn't get you on photo too many times... if you really passed those camera's at 3x the max speed... I'm praying for you man.
I collected a few of those speed trap tickets in Florianopolis but......only $80R.

I guess they need "coffee" money.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #197
rosskuhns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Canoeing on the Amazon?

Hello Brazil! :)
Thought I might try to see if anyone knew of a good tour to conoe or ecotour type stuff on the Amazon.

I've got 3 other guys that each year we do a trip somewhere; mix of guys changes every few years it seems, but it's an adventure.

We've talked seriously about doing a week or 10 days in the Amazon - anyone know of a good/real tour company? We've been doing some searching and searching, but I much prefer to have some 'insider knowledge'.

Probably looking at april/may time frame. Any thoughts? awful time of year to go? know a good tour company?

(we won't be able to bike, 3 of us are riders, but FNG can't ride for shit)

Ross
rosskuhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #198
Fernando Costa
Contemplator

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrazil View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Brazil. I moved to São Paulo about a year ago, and bought a Triumph Scrambler here a couple months ago.

I've mostly ridden in the city, but am very eager to take it on longer rides outside of São Paulo city. If anyone has any recommendations on riding clubs, nice routes/trips, has any general advice, or would ever like to catch up for a ride please let me know.

Feel free to send a PM. Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing all of your updates.

John
Hi John,

On Feb 27th there will be a ride along the Tiete river organized by some BMW Riders but riders of all makes are welcome. PM me in case you are interested,
Old 04-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #199
Skunkworks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Unfortunately, I am on a bit of a schedule so I have to chose one route through Brazil.

Which route would you recommend?

Option 1: From Rio up the coast to Recife or Natal, then over to Belem. About 5000 kms.

Option 2: From Rio north through Minas Gerias to Brasilia, then Belem. About 3000 kms.

Or would you recommend a different route?
Stop over for another beer in Belo Horizonte, while youre at it.
I saw your comment on the EMB-120, Im ATP too, and aerobatics CFI, well take a spin on my clubs Puchacz. Get a few negative Gs before you claim your Iron Butt to belem...
Cheers
Skunkworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #200
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Estrada Real on a mid-sized Dual Sport?

Saludos a tudos,

In a few months I will be riding from the US to South America, and plan to go down through Brazil.

My questions are these:

How passable is the Estrada Real on a V-Strom 650? my concerns are:

A) experience. I have little trail riding experience, but by going slow I usually can get by. However a loaded V-Strom is another story. Is the Estrada mainly an unpaved road or is it a true trail, with very technical riding?

B) Weather: By my estimates I will be in MG/RJ by December if I take the Colombia/Venezuela route. How is the climate then? I'm guessing if its the rainy season the Estrada is going to be super difficult as its unpaved. Alternately if I come down the west coast from Colombia via Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, etc, I wont be in Brazil until January, and maybe the rains are less by then? Either way I would prefer to go ride the Estrada in the dry if possible.

Whatever happens I absolutely will pass through Brazil. I visited Sampa and Rio a few times for business, and had a great time, but I'm convinced Brazil offers much, much more.

Any advice/suggestions/criticisms are welcome!

Thanks

Conor
1Man2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #201
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkworks View Post
Stop over for another beer in Belo Horizonte, while youre at it.
I saw your comment on the EMB-120, Im ATP too, and aerobatics CFI, well take a spin on my clubs Puchacz. Get a few negative Gs before you claim your Iron Butt to belem...
Cheers

Shit, missed another advrider in BH! I am currently in Costa Rica, headed north.

I loved flying the EMB-120. I have almost 10,000 hours in that machine.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #202
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Hey Conor,

First of all: have a great trip and keep us all updated on ADVrider,ok?

Ok, the Estrada Real:
You basically have two routes: the "caminho Velho" (Paraty - Diamantina) and the Canimho novo (Diamantina - Rio de Janeiro).
It would be great to do them both, but I'm guessing you would only do one of them, right?

It certainly isn't all dirt roads. A lot of stretches have asphalt or are in the proicess of being asphalted... Most of the dirt roads, are not very hard to ride, but I was there in July (brazilian winter and "dry" season). If you're going there in December (the wettest time of the year), it could be a whole different ballgame. The good news is, that you will allways have some kind of asphalt "escape route" nearby, since there are also good asphalt roads leading from and to Diamantina and the other historical cities of the ER... (ouro preto, Tiradentes...)

If you have a Garmin gps, go to http://www.tracksource.org.br/ and download the Brazil map... It's free and has most of the dirt roads you won't find on a paper map or Google Maps. This helped me out more times than I care to remember

Anyways, I think your V-Strom will do fine, with the right kind of tires of course , but I thik there are other guys on this thread SCExpat or Linhares, who both have V-Stroms and are probably better placed to help you on that topic...

Another thing about Brazil: Whatever problem you encounter on the road, you'll always find someone ready to help you... That's what I have experienced lots of times anyway. Oh, and try to pick up at least a little Portuguese. I'ts similar to Spanish, but not quite the same... A simple "Sou estranheiro e não falo muito Portugues", will already help you a lot. And of course: "Um Cerveja por pavor" or "puta que pariu" when things are really bad

Good luck and if you're almost here, let me know. Always welcome to spend a few days at my place (Volta Redonda) to catch a breath, and I'm sure there are a lot more people here that would be glad to offer you a place to stay.

Take care and ride safe.
Raf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWhoSaysNi View Post
Saludos a tudos,

In a few months I will be riding from the US to South America, and plan to go down through Brazil.

My questions are these:

A) experience. I have little trail riding experience, but by going slow I usually can get by. However a loaded V-Strom is another story. Is the Estrada mainly an unpaved road or is it a true trail, with very technical riding?

B) Weather: By my estimates I will be in MG/RJ by December if I take the Colombia/Venezuela route. How is the climate then? I'm guessing if its the rainy season the Estrada is going to be super difficult as its unpaved. Alternately if I come down the west coast from Colombia via Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, etc, I wont be in Brazil until January, and maybe the rains are less by then? Either way I would prefer to go ride the Estrada in the dry if possible.

Whatever happens I absolutely will pass through Brazil. I visited Sampa and Rio a few times for business, and had a great time, but I'm convinced Brazil offers much, much more.

Thanks

Conor
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #203
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Raf for the detailed response!

I certainly will be keeping everyone updated with an RR on here. With all the helpful information I've gotten from the Community, its only fair I give something back.

The plan is to take the Caminho Velho. Based on what you are saying, and form what I've read elsewhere, I think I'll save Brazil for the northbound leg of my journey, which should be the February/March timeframe. I'm not sure if it will be any drier then, but its good to know that there are paved alternatives.

GPS: thanks for the link. I'm doing a lot prep work on the bike itself, but have been slacking on the navigation side. I was leaning towards buying a Garmin, so this makes the decision easier.

Portuguese: I'm near fluent in Spanish and had a Brazilian girlfriend for a while so I can understand it fairly ok. When I try to speak it comes out more 'Portañol", but I can get by in most situations. I speak better after a few cervejas, though

Thanks again for all the info. I'll definitely shoot you a PM when I am in the area.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #204
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Brazil is awesome and what makes it so awesome are the people that you will meet along the way. The Brazilians are great, even the Belgian Brazilians. Oi Raf!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #205
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Hey Vince , I took the 450EXC for a spin last tuesday... it was awesome man. I was thinking of selling that bike, but I guess I changed my mind...
The good news is that Maryel went down this time, (no damage) not me... in his defence: he was trying to keep up with me on a XT660 without knobbies. Vai dar merda, right?

Still in Colombia, are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Brazil is awesome and what makes it so awesome are the people that you will meet along the way. The Brazilians are great, even the Belgian Brazilians. Oi Raf!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #206
rodrigo1985
Adding Dust Layers

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Vai dar merda, right?
Hahahahah! next time do a footage for us! All best Raf Hope see you soon
rodrigo1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #207
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Hey Vince , I took the 450EXC for a spin last tuesday... it was awesome man. I was thinking of selling that bike, but I guess I changed my mind...
The good news is that Maryel went down this time, (no damage) not me... in his defence: he was trying to keep up with me on a XT660 without knobbies. Vai dar merda, right?

Still in Colombia, are you?
Si, no des papaya.

Jumped the gap last week, now in Costa Rica eating miles to the north.

That 450 is perfect for some the trails around your place for sure.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #208
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Here is a RR by Luciano. He did with a Yamaha XT 600.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123568&highlight=ESTRADA+REAL

I did the Estrada Real way from Cunha to Paraty. There are many rocks but not so bad. It is down hill.....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384848&page=2
Keep us posted about your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWhoSaysNi View Post
Saludos a tudos,

My questions are these:

Thanks

Conor
VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #209
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDG View Post

I did the Estrada Real way from Cunha to Paraty. There are many rocks but not so bad. It is down hill.....

Muito Obrigado!

These reports are very helpful. I cant wait to get there and will post up here of course
Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 AM   #210
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Cunha- Paraty crossing...

I already did the crossing between Cunha and Paraty a number of times with my XT660R ... in both directions.

There is one section that is really bad when it has been raining, and I'm planning on doing it again because I have a feeling that they are in the process of putting asphalt there... which would be an improvement in this case... Once I rode from Cunha to Paraty (descending) when it was already dark. To make things worse, there was a lot of mist and drizzly rain... at the worst section, there were several cars stranded because they were unable to get up the hill... going (actually more like sliding) down, I dropped the bike 2 times.

No pictures, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDG View Post